Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell vs. Lewis
So whats everyone's predictions i think we all pretty well know what they will be but just wanting to see.
Lewis Co has put up points against every team they have played this year. They have one if not the leading receiver in the area. They have also given up quite a few points as well. So my goal for the Russell Team this week is three-fold.

1 - Do not let Lewis County Score FIRST and fall behind again !!!
2 - Do not let Lewis County score AT ALL against our 1st Team Defense. The guys up front need to bring pressure on the QB and our cover guys (Corners, Safeties, Linebackers and Occasionally our Ends) need to make quicker plays on the ball and knock down/break up more passes than we are tackling after the catch is made.
3 - Come out and play with high energy, and excitement.
Here's the Calpreps projection and the link to the site

http://www.calpreps.com/2007/week_Kentucky_5.htm

Lewis County (Vanceburg, KY) at Russell (KY), 7:30pm [projection: Russell (KY) 62-6]
Russelldad Wrote:Lewis Co has put up points against every team they have played this year. They have one if not the leading receiver in the area. They have also given up quite a few points as well. So my goal for the Russell Team this week is three-fold.

2 - Do not let Lewis County score AT ALL against our 1st Team Defense. The guys up front need to bring pressure on the QB and our cover guys (Corners, Safeties, Linebackers and Occasionally our Ends) need to make quicker plays on the ball and knock down/break up more passes than we are tackling after the catch is made.

So Im wondering if everyone is gonna jump on the team again for not coming out excited to play Lewis Co.??
FYI Lewis will be down a player due to a car accident this morning. I don't know how much he contributed to the team but I would think that his team will be a little downhearted because of the fallen teammate.
EkyLb Wrote:So Im wondering if everyone is gonna jump on the team again for not coming out excited to play Lewis Co.??
If they come out flat yes. How hard is to get excited over playing a game of football? I don't care who it is against.
Russell
IMO Russell will run away with this game.

Russell- 46
Lewis - 13
um the defensive lineman couch will not allow the players to get in the back field enless there is a pass, but they still have to watch for screens and jail breaks
or morris has told them to get back there
EkyLb Wrote:So Im wondering if everyone is gonna jump on the team again for not coming out excited to play Lewis Co.??

If you don't come out ready to play it could be another come from behind game, that we run out of time before we can come back. You need to come out as fired up and with the intinsity as you would if you were playing a playoff game, or a state chamionship game. Play every game as if it's your last and let the game play its course.

None of this advise is jumping on the team, just words of advise for some old foolball players who have been around for a while and as they say "been threre, done that" and also trying to prepare you for another long run in the playoffs

Devil68:devilflam

Not jumping on the team at all. It IS hard to come out and play with energy and excitement when you are facing a team you believe to be better than. But what myself, FBALL, MIDEE and most importantly for the team COACH MCGLONE, is trying to emphasize is that when you come out game-after-game and fall behind your opponent, it becomes a habit (a bad one at that) and you develop the mentality of "we always do that --we can come back". That is a very bad habit to get into and one that the Coaching staff is trying to eliminate. Because as the Coach said on his post-game report last week, "One week a team is going to take that momentum you gave them and NEVER let you take it back".

We (Russell) need to grasp the momentum from the opening whistle and put the other team on the defensive. As an example, just remember the Belfry game last year. On their turf, in front of a packed house, we go on defense first and because of our energy,smarts and agressiveness, we force them instantly into a turnover which we promptly take in for a score. Now their crowd is sitting down, the players are getting frustrated and we have snatched all the momentum they had. And as the score indicated we didn't give them a chance to get it back.

It is the time of the year (2nd half) when that type of play needs to show itself again. That it what Coach is talking about and what us "former guys" are trying to say.

We are absolutely so proud to buy our ticket each week and blow our horns, ring our cow bells, bring our signs and wear the maroon/gold from head-to-toe to cheer you (the team) every Friday night. What the new millenium years have been to this team is nothing short of spectacular. And we see no reason why this 2007 cannot be just as special. The talent is most certainly there and a 3rd straight trip to the "pizza box" is most certainly a possibility.

We know that each year brings different faces, different personalities, different leaders on the field. But the one thing that never changes, that always stays the same, that is the mantra that Russell Football lives on year after year is that WHATEVER it takes, every team will go out and give all they have to "D-efend the R".

These a just a few of my heartfelt thoughts, meant only to try and "inspire" the team and they finish out the remaining 4 games of the "regular" season and then into the playoffs.

GO RUSSELL!!!
Russelldad Wrote:Lewis Co has put up points against every team they have played this year. They have one if not the leading receiver in the area. They have also given up quite a few points as well. So my goal for the Russell Team this week is three-fold.

All I'm gonna say is: Powell hung 35 on em' & only gave up 18. If you can stop that WR screen, you got em' where you want em'. Watch out though. If you start jumping the screen, they throw it over the top & their top WR has glue on his hands. The QB throws rainbows. Straight up and straight down. Powell had 4 INT's and should have had 2 more. Jesse had over 200yds rushing and coach said over half the runs weren't blocked right. So imagine if powell had blocked right.

Russell in a blowout.:igiveup:
I will go with Russell on this one.
Russell
Russelldad Wrote:Not jumping on the team at all. It IS hard to come out and play with energy and excitement when you are facing a team you believe to be better than. But what myself, FBALL, MIDEE and most importantly for the team COACH MCGLONE, is trying to emphasize is that when you come out game-after-game and fall behind your opponent, it becomes a habit (a bad one at that) and you develop the mentality of "we always do that --we can come back". That is a very bad habit to get into and one that the Coaching staff is trying to eliminate. Because as the Coach said on his post-game report last week, "One week a team is going to take that momentum you gave them and NEVER let you take it back".

Exactly. Great post and that is what we are trying to say. One of these days you are going to get behind and not be able to get back ahead.

Come out fired up and ready to play no matter the opponent. Play hard until the whistle blows, have some fun with it and the games will take care of themselves.
I just think you all expect a little too much, just because they arent jumping around acting like fools on the field doesnt mean that they are not fired up and ready to play, I think we should be excited in what weve seen from this team, every team they play, they are usually the game of the season for that team, and we have taken every teams best shot right in the mouth, and came out with pretty easy victories. Noone gets down, noone hangs their head, they just stay motivated and do what they are taught, lets not forget its not like the stable of coaches at russell are known for getting excited and getting in players faces and getting them pumped up, alot of that comes from the coaches. Im honestly gettin tired of seeing posts about how un enthusiastic the team is, this team looks like every other Russell team Ive ever watched play, they have a few kids who get excited and whoop and holler, but most dont, they just wanna play ball and not act like a bunch of monkeys at the zoo.
EkyLb Wrote:I just think you all expect a little too much, just because they arent jumping around acting like fools on the field doesnt mean that they are not fired up and ready to play, I think we should be excited in what weve seen from this team, every team they play, they are usually the game of the season for that team, and we have taken every teams best shot right in the mouth, and came out with pretty easy victories. Noone gets down, noone hangs their head, they just stay motivated and do what they are taught, lets not forget its not like the stable of coaches at russell are known for getting excited and getting in players faces and getting them pumped up, alot of that comes from the coaches. Im honestly gettin tired of seeing posts about how un enthusiastic the team is, this team looks like every other Russell team Ive ever watched play, they have a few kids who get excited and whoop and holler, but most dont, they just wanna play ball and not act like a bunch of monkeys at the zoo.

You have your opinion and we have ours. Neither is better than the other but it sure does seem like a lot of the Russell fans are seeing the same thing we are. They walk onto the field, They walk from the huddle, they walk to the locker room at half time. I don't know what you have been watching but I know for a fact that the 05 team had some spring in their steps and a bit of swagger and attitude when they took the field. This team does not and that is a fact.

As for the bolded part. When they get enthusiastic then we won't have a thing to complain about. Until then we will continue to voice our opinions about it. I am tired of seeing the posts that everything is fine and there is nothing to worry about. Most games they look like they are just going through the motions. I agree that the schedule has been far from stellar but they will go through the motions against the likes of Mason and come out on the losing end.

They lack intensity.
Midee1 Wrote:You have your opinion and we have ours. Neither is better than the other but it sure does seem like a lot of the Russell fans are seeing the same thing we are. They walk onto the field, They walk from the huddle, they walk to the locker room at half time. I don't know what you have been watching but I know for a fact that the 05 team had some spring in their steps and a bit of swagger and attitude when they took the field. This team does not and that is a fact.

As for the bolded part. When they get enthusiastic then we won't have a thing to complain about. Until then we will continue to voice our opinions about it. I am tired of seeing the posts that everything is fine and there is nothing to worry about. Most games they look like they are just going through the motions. I agree that the schedule has been far from stellar but they will go through the motions against the likes of Mason and come out on the losing end.

They lack intensity.

well as i believe the boyswho stay quite and keep to them selfs are very dangerous the ones that hoop and holler
dont do to many things
the boys come out all quite but they are full of frustration and would rather take it out hitting then yelling
EkyLb Wrote:I just think you all expect a little too much, just because they arent jumping around acting like fools on the field doesnt mean that they are not fired up and ready to play, I think we should be excited in what weve seen from this team, every team they play, they are usually the game of the season for that team, and we have taken every teams best shot right in the mouth, and came out with pretty easy victories. Noone gets down, noone hangs their head, they just stay motivated and do what they are taught, lets not forget its not like the stable of coaches at russell are known for getting excited and getting in players faces and getting them pumped up, alot of that comes from the coaches. Im honestly gettin tired of seeing posts about how un enthusiastic the team is, this team looks like every other Russell team Ive ever watched play, they have a few kids who get excited and whoop and holler, but most dont, they just wanna play ball and not act like a bunch of monkeys at the zoo.
I think your taking this the wrong way. Jumping up and down and making a fool of yourself is not what any of us are talking about. But if you are having fun playing the game that comes out in the way you carry yourself on the field.

One thing I think you are right about are the expectations. I think alot of people expect state titles every year and that is just unrealistic. I think this group does feel they have to live up to the teams of the last few years. That too is unfair. Relax and play. The only thing I am trying to get across is play the game hard and enjoy it. It will show on the field. It also has nothing to do with acting like an idiot.
EkyLb Wrote:, lets not forget its not like the stable of coaches at russell are known for getting excited and getting in players faces and getting them pumped up, alot of that comes from the coaches.

Maybe not all of them, but Ivan, Coach Morris and Coach Smith, Coach Hurley I've all seen make a few "loud" remarks during games, like clapping hands, smacking helmets etc. to let players know they either need to play better or for making a great play.

Plus I am not saying you have to act like monkey's and jump around hoopin and hollerin', but when a player makes a nice block, tackle, catch, throw or run there have too many times when noone was there to help them up or give them a high five etc.

Again as I said in my long letter, I am proud of this team, it just seems like to me that maybe the players are what you say "doing the business/job". It's not a business or a job, it's a game. I game that obviously everyone on the team loves to play. Just remember that tomorrow and every week that's left. Enjoy each other. After all you guys practically live with each other M-F before,during and after school.

Go Russell. Love them Devils
Russell
russell has the upper hand in this one but with lewis countys spread offense they can put up alotta points really fast....
Really suprised noone has mentioned this yet. Coach Ivan McGlone will be going for win #300 Friday night.
Which Will Put Him At 10th All Time In The State Of Ky!
DevilsWin Wrote:Which Will Put Him At 10th All Time In The State Of Ky!
271 of those have come at Russell. The other wins came when he was coaching in WV in the early 70s. The KHSAA only counts the in state wins. It will put him at 10th all time in the state of KY.
FBALL Wrote:271 of those have come at Russell. The other wins came when he was coaching in WV in the early 70s. The KHSAA only counts the in state wins. It will put him at 10th all time in the state of KY.
You are correct sir. I spoke with him abouth this last season. He had a helluva record at Vinson.

Here's somethig funny. On 100 kee fm the Afternoon Drive DJ "Gary Music Miller" played for Ivan at Vinson. LOL If you know Gary it's even funnier.
Nice article on Coach McGlone and going for win #300.

http://www.dailyindependent.com/loca...278000206.html
nice article-great job IVAN
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Russelldad Wrote:Maybe not all of them, but Ivan, Coach Morris and Coach Smith, Coach Hurley I've all seen make a few "loud" remarks during games

Aren't you the same one who got mad at a coach for making a "loud comment" during a game?
Sponge Bob Wrote:Aren't you the same one who got mad at a coach for making a "loud comment" during a game?

I never made a comment on this site, but yes, I did comment about seeing and hearing one of our coaches "being loud" on the other bluegrass site. My concern was not so much about the coach just being "loud", but my concern was that the coach was being "loud" while he singled out "one player" in front of fans, family, teammates and opponents. As I stated on the other website, this coach was so loud with his "dressing down" on the Russell player that fans sitting in the opposite end-zone from the "loudness" could hear every word he said. I've seen Coaches McGlone, Morris and Hurley all "get loud" in the Offensive, defensive and Special Team huddles, where they are either correcting a mistake (as a team or player), encouraging them to play harder/smarter(as a team or player), or giving them praise (as a team or player) as they come off the field for a job/play well done. I have NEVER seen any of them pull a player aside and "verbally abuse" ONE player as the one Russell coach did on that night. Having been a youth coach for many years, I have seen too many times coaches that think that "dressing down" a player in front of teammates, fans and family will somehow inspire that person to play better, but in almost every situation the player goes back out and is so focused/embarrased about the "chewing out" that they perform worse.

I believe that building up a child/students self-esteem is ALWAYS going to produce better results from that child/student than tearing it down. And believe it or not, you can do that "and be loud" sometimes as well. You just have to work at it a little.