Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pikeville Player
I can respond to this thread, I was at the Transylvania Basketball Camp. First of all, lets do this one.

A Blessing & A Curse Wrote:Oh, no summer ball does mean something but, saying that BMR is scared to play a team is straight up ridiculous. But, I do know for the last three years something Paintsville has done... Beat Pikeville! And guess what buddy... They only lost one player who really didn't do that much! So before you go and start playing the Paintsville is always the favorite card, think about how many times Pikeville was a factor in their first round of region losses.

So that's why I say Pikeville WILL NOT beat Paintsville...

Pikeville can most certainly beat Paintsville. Just the same as Paintsville can most certainly beat Pikeville. Pikeville and Paintsville was scheduled to play at the Transylvania camp. Paintsville decided not to play because Lando was out with a very bad sprained ankle. BMR didnt want to play a 15th region team while missing two starters is what I think it was. I never did get a answer as to why they didnt play though.

TRAIN85 Wrote:Pikeville has no real "superstar". So why wouldn't this three star recruit be able to come in and be that "superstar"? He would be the only D-1 player on the floor for the majority of the games. He would make them a better and deeper team than they would have had without him. That being said, Pikeville is still going to be a helluva team this year in the 15th region. I expect a lot out of them this year. Everyone alos needs to quit even thinking about this kid and concentrate on what we have right here right now. That is a 6'9" center who is getting better every year and will be a junior. They also have a slew of returning guards that have tons of experience. Tim Honaker, Matt Clevinger, Jordan Bell, Daniel Harmon, and a freshman who saw plenty of game action named Gatlin Clark. You could start any of those five and still have a decent team IMO. Outside of the big man Pikeville doesn't have a lot of size. But that speed could be a dangerous counter strike to the lack of size.

In my opinion, he wouldnt have been a superstar at Pikeville, Paintsville, or Shelby Valley. He is not from what I seen at the Transylvania camp a D-1 player either. Unless he was a much better player than what he showed up there that one day over the summer, he is only a NAIA level player. He would have made Pikeville the biggest team in this region. Maybe the only team in the state with 2 players over 6'8" on the same team. I think that the reason he got the 3 star recruit status is because of promotions. He had a whole entourage with him when he went to the gym, out to eat, or anywhere. Included in there was a player from dUKe that was walking him around to and from. It is my opinion that he has more pulling for him than just talent. On the other hand, I do agree that he would have helped Pikeville a lot over the course of the season.
Warlock Wrote:In my opinion, he wouldnt have been a superstar at Pikeville, Paintsville, or Shelby Valley. He is not from what I seen at the Transylvania camp a D-1 player either. Unless he was a much better player than what he showed up there that one day over the summer, he is only a NAIA level player. He would have made Pikeville the biggest team in this region. Maybe the only team in the state with 2 players over 6'8" on the same team. I think that the reason he got the 3 star recruit status is because of promotions. He had a whole entourage with him when he went to the gym, out to eat, or anywhere. Included in there was a player from dUKe that was walking him around to and from. It is my opinion that he has more pulling for him than just talent. On the other hand, I do agree that he would have helped Pikeville a lot over the course of the season.
First of all he would probably have been the best player in the region hands down. Tell me what player in the 15th region for any team that is 6'8" and very athletic. Let's not forget that the level of competition he faced in the Atlanta area was probably head and shoulders better than what he would see here in the 15th. Unless you are a scout for one of the many D-1 schools recruiting him your evaluation of Kenny Hall being "only a NAIA level player" holds no bearing to what level he is. It is obvious that Billy Gillespie sees something in this kid enough to bring him to lexington for a visit. Gillespie gets paid for recognizing talent. So I wouold say he has done his homework on this kid. Do you get paid for scouting D-1 basketball talent? He is not at Pikeville so I think we should give up the hype and focus on the factual.
TRAIN85 Wrote:First of all he would probably have been the best player in the region hands down. Tell me what player in the 15th region for any team that is 6'8" and very athletic. Let's not forget that the level of competition he faced in the Atlanta area was probably head and shoulders better than what he would see here in the 15th. Unless you are a scout for one of the many D-1 schools recruiting him your evaluation of Kenny Hall being "only a NAIA level player" holds no bearing to what level he is. It is obvious that Billy Gillespie sees something in this kid enough to bring him to lexington for a visit. Gillespie gets paid for recognizing talent. So I wouold say he has done his homework on this kid. Do you get paid for scouting D-1 basketball talent? He is not at Pikeville so I think we should give up the hype and focus on the factual.

I hate to tell you this train, but he wouldnt have been the best player in the region. Like I said in a earlier post, you are posting on what you think or heard from another player or fan. When did you see him play? When did you even hear about him? After the camp was over? He was a good player, but he wasnt the a stand out superstar. He might have had a bad day, been tired like all the other players was at that camp or something. He was a good leaper and could get up in the air very quickly, but I agree with warlock, from what I seen, he wasnt a D-1 player. Before you say it, no I am not a D-1 scout, just the same as you are not. If you would like to watch the game film of the games he played in before you talk about him, I will be glad to let you borrow them. Then you can make a post with at least experienced watching him play 3 games
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I hate to tell you this train, but he wouldnt have been the best player in the region. Like I said in a earlier post, you are posting on what you think or heard from another player or fan. When did you see him play? When did you even hear about him? After the camp was over? He was a good player, but he wasnt the a stand out superstar. He might have had a bad day, been tired like all the other players was at that camp or something. He was a good leaper and could get up in the air very quickly, but I agree with warlock, from what I seen, he wasnt a D-1 player. Before you say it, no I am not a D-1 scout, just the same as you are not. If you would like to watch the game film of the games he played in before you talk about him, I will be glad to let you borrow them. Then you can make a post with at least experienced watching him play 3 games

In reality, 3 games is not a big enough sample size to make a an accurate assessment of how good a player he is, whether he looked really good or really bad. It is much more accurate to look at how he did over a whole season. That is why I trust the assessments of national scouting services, who get paid to rank these kids and watch many more of their games in order to do just that.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
May I ask what national scouting services you are referring to? The only place I have seen anything about the boy is the link at the start of this thread. Can you give some more references as to his recruiting other than the rivals page?
Warlock Wrote:May I ask what national scouting services you are referring to? The only place I have seen anything about the boy is the link at the start of this thread. Can you give some more references as to his recruiting other than the rivals page?
Rivals is probably the most trusted site on the internet when it comes to recruiting!!!!
Warlock Wrote:May I ask what national scouting services you are referring to? The only place I have seen anything about the boy is the link at the start of this thread. Can you give some more references as to his recruiting other than the rivals page?

It so happens that Rivals is the recruiting service I was referring to. I don't know of any other services that have rated him, but I trust what Rivals has said about his skills. If they say he's a player, that's good enough for me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Will you all at least agree that if he went from unranked at the end of the season to number 28 in the summer that it could be from being promoted? He had 10 to 12 people taking him to camps all over the country. I do have this question to ask all the Pikeville favorites. If a player of his caliber would have come to Pikeville then they would have been the winner of the region next year. With his height and athletic ability and being the best player in the region. Also the only D-1 player on the court in a lot of the games. Now that he isn't at Pikeville, do you all agree that the odds of you winning the region went downhill? Or do you still think you got a chance at it?
Warlock Wrote:Will you all at least agree that if he went from unranked at the end of the season to number 28 in the summer that it could be from being promoted? He had 10 to 12 people taking him to camps all over the country. I do have this question to ask all the Pikeville favorites. If a player of his caliber would have come to Pikeville then they would have been the winner of the region next year. With his height and athletic ability and being the best player in the region. Also the only D-1 player on the court in a lot of the games. Now that he isn't at Pikeville, do you all agree that the odds of you winning the region went downhill? Or do you still think you got a chance at it?
I think if he came chances went to 65% but without him id say they are at 45%....
Panther Thunder Wrote:I think if he came chances went to 65% but without him id say they are at 45%....

Those percentages seem a little high...

Without him I think you have to put Valley as the region favorite, with about a 40% chance of winning. Then Pikeville 30% and Paintsville 20%, with 10% for everyone else combined.

With him you could probably bump Pikeville up to 60%, Valley down to around 25% and Paintsville down to about 10%, with 5% for everyone else.

Hmmm, I smell a new poll thread...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It doesn't seem as if he is coming to Pikeville.....Closed.