Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Moore's New Movie - Sicko
I saw him on TV the other night... He said something along the lines of that the US is ranked something like 35th in health care programs world wide.
I'm sure the US is low because we don't provide National Health care but those that are do are suffering. If I am not mistaking, England is having financial problems with theirs.
Beef Wrote:I'm sure the US is low because we don't provide National Health care but those that are do are suffering. If I am not mistaking, England is having financial problems with theirs.

Very true!
Moore gets challenged by Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/0...index.html
IMO .. Michael Moore is a complete idiot. Thats all I got to say.

Edited to say that:

If he doesn't like the way things are here, they should take his citizenship away. Or better yet, he should just move to a place where he does like it.
LCC_Cougar Wrote:IMO .. Michael Moore is a complete idiot. Thats all I got to say.

Edited to say that:

If he doesn't like the way things are here, they should take his citizenship away. Or better yet, he should just move to a place where he does like it.
While I disagree with Michael Moore and his ultra liberal US bashing, I still am naive enough to believe he has complete rights to his opinions.

Just as we have the right to choose to either watch his highly slanted propaganda or not.
I Hate Moore Hes a Smartass
Blessed are the poor...for their jobs are taken to Mexico and China and Thailand where the poor of those nations can be exploited by large multinational corporations.
Blessed are the poor...who labor all day to have bread so that some might have lobster.
Blessed are the poor...who wait for hours in emergency rooms to try and get some help for their child who has been coughing and vomiting for days.

Moore recently received a subpoena for his trip he took to Cuba in the movie, which is apparantly illegal.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
NOTE TO PLAYBOY: I may know you: were you almost
killed by ladies and Jim Beam in 1973?
ComfortEagle Wrote:Moore recently received a subpoena for his trip he took to Cuba in the movie, which is apparantly illegal.
Good to see he is not getting special treatment.

There have been numerous occasions over the years that american citizens have seeked permission to travel to Cuba for various reasons only to be turned down and some that have gone there without permission have been charged with a crime.
thecavemaster Wrote:NOTE TO PLAYBOY: I may know you: were you almost
killed by ladies and Jim Beam in 1973?
I have no idea what you are talking about. I wasn't on Earth in 1973!:p
ComfortEagle Wrote:Moore recently received a subpoena for his trip he took to Cuba in the movie, which is apparantly illegal.
No it is not illegal. It's just the Justice Dept pickin gon him because he exposes people for what they truely are. In cas you haven't noticed the people who hold all the power no longer have a monopoly on the spread of information(thanks to the internet) and they are scared to death.
Reporters frequently travel to Cuba. Just ask Matt Lauer.

Moore probably thought that the laws of this country don't apply to him, just because he's in tight with the Hollywood elite. Good to see that they're not letting it slide because he's famous.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DevilsWin Wrote:No it is not illegal. It's just the Justice Dept pickin gon him because he exposes people for what they truely are. In cas you haven't noticed the people who hold all the power no longer have a monopoly on the spread of information(thanks to the internet) and they are scared to death.
Reporters frequently travel to Cuba. Just ask Matt Lauer.
Sorry, but it is illegal., except in certain circumstances.
There are and have been sanctions against Cuba for many years.

Here's some info regarding travel and sanctions with Cuba:
(answers the question as to how Matt Lauer could travel there)

US and Cuba Travel Policies
Restrictions on travel to Cuba are authorized by the Trading with the Enemy Act of 1917, which grants the power to prohibit financial transactions in time of war. Citing national security concerns, the U.S. government imposed an economic embargo on Cuba in 1961. In July 1963, the U.S. Treasury Department released the Cuban Assets Control Regulations, which codify the essential elements of the economic embargo against Cuba. Such elements include a freeze of all Cuban-owned assets in the U.S., a prohibition on all non-licensed financial and commercial transactions between Cuba and the United States and between Cuban and U.S. nationals. The financial prohibition includes the spending of money by U.S. citizens for travel to Cuba, which essentially creates a travel ban on the island for all non-licensed U.S. citizens.
The embargo regulations have been eased and tightened several times over its forty year history. In 1977, the Carter Administration removed all restrictions on travel to Cuba. However, the Reagan Administration reinstated an even stricter travel ban in 1982 and travel restrictions on most U.S. citizens traveling to Cuba continues to this day.
His punishment = permanent residence in Cuba Smile
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Sorry, but it is illegal., except in certain circumstances.
There are and have been sanctions against Cuba for many years.

Here's some info regarding travel and sanctions with Cuba:
(answers the question as to how Matt Lauer could travel there)

US and Cuba Travel Policies Restrictions on travel to Cuba are authorized by the Trading with the Enemy Act of 1917, which grants the power to prohibit financial transactions in time of war. Citing national security concerns, the U.S. government imposed an economic embargo on Cuba in 1961. In July 1963, the U.S. Treasury Department released the Cuban Assets Control Regulations, which codify the essential elements of the economic embargo against Cuba. Such elements include a freeze of all Cuban-owned assets in the U.S., a prohibition on all non-licensed financial and commercial transactions between Cuba and the United States and between Cuban and U.S. nationals. The financial prohibition includes the spending of money by U.S. citizens for travel to Cuba, which essentially creates a travel ban on the island for all non-licensed U.S. citizens.
The embargo regulations have been eased and tightened several times over its forty year history. In 1977, the Carter Administration removed all restrictions on travel to Cuba. However, the Reagan Administration reinstated an even stricter travel ban in 1982 and travel restrictions on most U.S. citizens traveling to Cuba continues to this day.
He was given a journalistic license
DevilsWin Wrote:He was given a journalistic license
Not being a smart mouth, just looking for real answers...
Was he??? You sure?
Why the subpoena then????

IMO, Michael Moore and journalist in the same sentence is a stretch.
DevilsWin Wrote:He was given a journalistic license

He might have been given one, but he took others with him who might not have been given permission under that same license.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Not being a smart mouth, just looking for real answers...
Was he??? You sure?
Why the subpoena then????

IMO, Michael Moore and journalist in the same sentence is a stretch.
I never post anything I'm not 100% sure about.
Nicely said Beef (on #15). I guess this would explain the life span nearly doubling in just 60 years. This is due to medications that are discovered by those pharmaceutical companies that Moore is destined to destroy(antibiotics, polio vaccine and such). That is a fact that devil can't dispute. Does anyone know what percentage of sales any industry puts back into R & D? On average 3%. Pharmaceutical companies put 20%.

Government run healthcare would be a mistake, big mistake. Has anyone been in a VA hospital lately? Where would you chose to go?
People from countries with National Healthcare come here to have complex operations done, because we have the best doctors who work here. Does anyone know why the best doctors would want to work in a country without a National Healthcare plan is?
Fenix Wrote:People from countries with National Healthcare come here to have complex operations done, because we have the best doctors who work here. Does anyone know why the best doctors would want to work in a country without a National Healthcare plan is?

Because here they will actually get paid for their expertise and they will have the power to treat each "individidual" instead of an assembly line which is what it would be with national healthcare.

I watched Michael Moore on one of the late night talk shows and he said that private insurance would still be available under "his" plan. That is because he is a millionaire and wants to make sure he won't have to use this wonderful national healthcare plan.
whos your momma Wrote:Because here they will actually get paid for their expertise and they will have the power to treat each "individidual" instead of an assembly line which is what it would be with national healthcare.

I watched Michael Moore on one of the late night talk shows and he said that private insurance would still be available under "his" plan. That is because he is a millionaire and wants to make sure he won't have to use this wonderful national healthcare plan.

Michael Moore is a wealthy man who, without a doubt, is
sensationalistic and often exploits the very people who
feature in his movies. However, simply because Martin
Luther King may have stepped out on Coretta a few times
does not mean that the injustice he saw and fought was
not real or valid. It simply means he was a flawed man,
like Moses, like King David, like Peter and James and
John. The same with Michael Moore: he does not have to
be a perfect, without flaw or blemish man in order for
the issues he dramatizes to be valid. Most advocates
of universal healthcare for the US see it as a supplemental,
not replacement, of private health care. I, for one,
believe that poor and rich alike should not have to suffer
with an abscessed tooth until pain becomes intense to
suffering...
whos your momma Wrote:Because here they will actually get paid for their expertise and they will have the power to treat each "individidual" instead of an assembly line which is what it would be with national healthcare.

The exact answer I was looking for. Nice of Mr. Moore to leave a loophole for others like himself with loads of money.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:I have no idea what you are talking about. I wasn't on Earth in 1973!:p

What was said to you came from a Hank Williams Jr. Song "Family Tradition".Smile
thecavemaster Wrote:Michael Moore is a wealthy man who, without a doubt, is
sensationalistic and often exploits the very people who
feature in his movies. However, simply because Martin
Luther King may have stepped out on Coretta a few times
does not mean that the injustice he saw and fought was
not real or valid. It simply means he was a flawed man,
like Moses, like King David, like Peter and James and
John. The same with Michael Moore: he does not have to
be a perfect, without flaw or blemish man in order for
the issues he dramatizes to be valid. Most advocates
of universal healthcare for the US see it as a supplemental,
not replacement, of private health care. I, for one,
believe that poor and rich alike should not have to suffer
with an abscessed tooth until pain becomes intense to
suffering...

Comparing Michael Moore to any of those men is a joke.
Fenix Wrote:Comparing Michael Moore to any of those men is a joke.

I was not comparing Michael Moore to Martin Luther
King or the Biblical examples: I was suggesting
that human frailty and episodic failure does NOT
invalidate the whole of a person's life or work, and
certainly does not make inconsequential the issues
they raise. Michael Moore is Michael Moore and sinks
or swims on his own...as do the others.
thecavemaster Wrote:I was not comparing Michael Moore to Martin Luther
King or the Biblical examples: I was suggesting
that human frailty and episodic failure does NOT
invalidate the whole of a person's life or work, and
certainly does not make inconsequential the issues
they raise. Michael Moore is Michael Moore and sinks
or swims on his own...as do the others.

I respect any man that stands up for what he truly believes in, but in Moore's case he doesn't help the situation. If he is such a proponent of National Healthcare he wouldn't leave a loophole for the wealthy, he would want the same thing for all of us including himself. It seems as though he just wants to make the Republican Administration look as bad as possible.
Fenix Wrote:I respect any man that stands up for what he truly believes in, but in Moore's case he doesn't help the situation. If he is such a proponent of National Healthcare he wouldn't leave a loophole for the wealthy, he would want the same thing for all of us including himself. It seems as though he just wants to make the Republican Administration look as bad as possible.

Of course, Moore is a liberal. Moore sees the inconsistencies
in others, but perhaps lacks that ability in himself. "Would
some power the gift give us to see ourselves as others see us."
That's a human nature problem, not a liberal/conservative one.
Again, I think most proponents of "make sure everybody has
coverage" healthcare in the US don't visualize the throwing
away of private insurance. I don't think a guy working two
jobs, both part-time, not covered either place, should have
to suffer an illness without care in the United States of
America. I think EVERY child, regardless of income level,
should receive as good a care as possible. I don't think
we have to socialize medicine to get there.