Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Tubby goes...who will UK get?
If it was my choice i would want Pitino, Donovan (he's only coming if all of his juniors leave), or the guy from Washington State.
^None of the above. Pitino coming is 100% not a chance. Donovan has a top class coming in next year and Florida has the cash to keep him there. The guy from Washington State is in his first year there(Bennett) At least let the guy do something for longer than that before mentioning him even though he had one great season at Wisconsin I believe before that.

Realistically IF Tubby leaves and that's a big IF to me. Then I'd love Billy Gillespie from Texas A&M as our first choice. Guy built the program from the ground up.

But let's see what GKS and his "sources" say before going any further.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mark Few, Tom Izzo, Billy Gillespie or John Pelphrey..thats who Id want to see come there..any of those four
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Mark Few, Tom Izzo, Billy Gillespie or John Pelphrey..thats who Id want to see come there..any of those four

Yeah I like these choices. And I wouldnt mind having Bo Ryan from Wisconsin.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Mark Few, Tom Izzo, Billy Gillespie or John Pelphrey..thats who Id want to see come there..any of those four

I wouldn't mind any of those except Pelphrey. I think he needs to come along just a little bit more before taking over a large program. I do think he could be amazing in 6 or 7 years with more experience.

I'm glad you mentioned Izzo. I figured I'd get ripped for mentioning him because most UK fans cringe at the thought of another slow paced defensive coach coming to UK.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bo Ryan would be great
DAntoni from Phoenix is by far the best shot at someone coming in and turning that place upside down and back on course!!
One you can definitely count out is Billy Gillespie...A&M ready to sign him to a $2.5 million contract.......on all the major chat boards

Billy D is a possiblility but seriously doubt it. His wife loves Gainesville and they just donated money to build a private school (catholic) in which is son is a student.

John Pelphrey just isn't ready for UK......his team just lost in the first round to a #9 seed in their conference tourney.

NO MARK FEW

At one time a few month ago, UK fans were clammoring over Lorenzo Romar. Not anymore.

Thad Motta loves OSU and wouldn't think of leaving. Great recruiter.

Bo Ryan along with Tom Izzo runs the Tubby style offense.

Most 'TrueBlue UK fans' now want John Calipari. Terrific recruiter and great coach. Calipari has already gone on record as saying he'd walk to Lexington for the job. (per Alan Cutler)

Travis Ford is another possibility. Good recruiter and plays Pitino style ball. Just needs a little more experience. Would prefer him over Pelfrey.

UK coudn't go wrong with Calipari, Donovan or Ford........but don't EVER count out Ricky P returning to Camelot.
Calipari would be an excellent pick, IMO. He recruits some of the best and his coaching style is fast and up tempo. I think Ford would be another good hiring. Look at what he did with EKU and the season he has had with UMass this year. Alabama will be a tough game for UK, one I think they will have trouble winning. And it doesn't look as if they will get a very good draw in the NCAA Tournament. If they go, at best, 2-and-out, maybe a Sweet 16, I don't think how Barnhardt could keep Tubby. But I will be like most people. I will wait until the end of the season. However, I think something BIG needs to happen SOON.
CALIPARI WOW THAT WOULD BE GREAT(forgot about him)...this guy gets everything and more out of his players i would love to see that kind of play in the blue and white
Calapari at Memphis...
*2005-06: 30-3(#1 seed lost in sweet 16)
*2004-05: 19-15 postseason: NIT
*2003-04: 21-7 postseason: NCAA Tournament (#7 seed lost in second round)
*2002-03: 23-6 postseason: NCAA Tournament (#7 seed lost first round)
*2001-02: 21-9 postseason: NIT
*2000-01: 16-14 postseason: NIT
*1999-00: 14-16 postseason: None

We can do better.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
But he did well at UMASS also. I wouldn't mind seeing John Beilein and his style of ball at Rupp.
CatDawg Wrote:But he did well at UMASS also. I wouldn't mind seeing John Beilein and his style of ball at Rupp.

UMASS was stripped of their tournament wins the year after he left. Some people think that it was mostly Camby's fault though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I'm sure Ricky would be pulling for Calapari to come to UK if Tubby is gone.
Another name to throw into the UK coaching hat is Bill Self. Made a comment not too long ago that he'd love coaching at a place like Kentucky. Great recruiter....plays up tempo. Great fit for UK fans.
My picks: Billy D(UF), Bill Self(KU), Bruce Pearl(UT), Travis Ford(UMASS), John Calipari(MEMPHIS), Rick Barnes(TEXAS) Mark Few (GON), Johnny Dawkins (asst. coach at Duke)

Then there is always the possibilty of Rick Pitino coming back. He LOVES UK along with our state.

I like Bo Ryan and Izzo to but, they rely too much on their D.
#1ukfan.... Bruce Pearl IMO would be a great choice. Super motivator and recruiter, but no way would the old fuddie duddies at the UKAA go for him. They're afraid he'd paint his chest blue with a big white K on it and show up for a girls game and actually have some "FUN". It'll never happen.

....and the chances of an ex-Dookie coaching UK are about as great as me becoming the next UK coach.
Grassy Knoll Sniper Wrote:#1ukfan.... Bruce Pearl IMO would be a great choice. Super motivator and recruiter, but no way would the old fuddie duddies at the UKAA go for him. They're afraid he'd paint his chest blue with a big white K on it and show up for a girls game and actually have some "FUN". It'll never happen.

....and the chances of an ex-Dookie coaching UK are about as great as me becoming the next UK coach.

i agree on the last part. but, i was just trying to throw out some diffrent names. Very funny though!!!:lmao:
Grassy Knoll Sniper Wrote:John Pelphrey just isn't ready for UK......his team just lost in the first round to a #9 seed in their conference tourney.

Most 'TrueBlue UK fans' now want John Calipari. Terrific recruiter and great coach. Calipari has already gone on record as saying he'd walk to Lexington for the job. (per Alan Cutler)

Travis Ford is another possibility. Good recruiter and plays Pitino style ball. Just needs a little more experience. Would prefer him over Pelfrey.

UK coudn't go wrong with Calipari, Donovan or Ford........but don't EVER count out Ricky P returning to Camelot.

I like the idea of Rick Pitino over all other possible choices but I don't see him coming back to the program. He already has a great Kentucky team under his thumb in UofL. Pelphrey isn't ready but give him around 5 years and he will get a ton of offers from NCAA schools. Calipari IS a great recruiter and would be a nice choice, did alot for UMass' program. Travis Ford is young with not so much experience coaching a program with the size and tradition of UK but I would love to see him come back to the Big Blue. Without a doubt in my mind he would jump at the chance. I too would prefer Ford over Pelphrey, though both need experience you can't go wrong with a good ol' Kentucky boy who knows what the program is all about.

Few would be the first logical choice, but he will absolutely not leave the west coast... he'd be great for UK though...

Tom Crean at Marquette, John Beilein at West Virginia, Lon Kruger at UNLV would be decent fits....

D'atoni would be my first call, but he couldn't leave the Suns till June, and you'd want a coach by then... but he would be a slam dunk hire...
FreakNasty Wrote:Few would be the first logical choice, but he will absolutely not leave the west coast... he'd be great for UK though...

Tom Crean at Marquette, John Beilein at West Virginia, Lon Kruger at UNLV would be decent fits....

D'atoni would be my first call, but he couldn't leave the Suns till June, and you'd want a coach by then... but he would be a slam dunk hire...
D'antoni's wife is from Huntington some friends of mine say she wants to move closer to her family...so who knows ?
Tubby stays.
LoneStar Wrote:Tubby stays.

I'm afraid you're right, but let's all pray not.
I absolutely LOVE Andy Kennedy, but he is unproven in that he hasnt had to sustain suceess at a program. I hope he is our next head coach, but he wont be ready until sayyyyyy....2011????
The guy from Phoenix! Mike D'Antoni!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ah it don't matter he aint gonna no where!!!!!!!!!
Andy Kennedy??
Joe Stepp!
Arbys Man Wrote:Joe Stepp!
what are you nuts i say Gary Stepp :confused:
The Fan Wrote:what are you nuts i say Gary Stepp :confused:
lol why not both