Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RUMOR---Starns Resigns!!
Diogenes Wrote:What does Matney have to do with any of this?

Matney encourages his players to play multiple sports. And what Mark Starns does has little or nothing to do with what Jim Matney does. I can guarantee you that no Eagle fan wants to see this basketball program fail, and that the success of football should only feed the success of other sports within the same school.

Regarding Starns, the occasional personality conflict is understandable and unavoidable. You lose one or two kids because you don't get along with them or they don't buy the system or the discipline, fine. But when you manage to run them off en masse and deplete your roster to the point that Central has...

As a wise man once told me, "The only common element in all your dysfunctional relationships is you."

Were you blasting Starns last year when JC went to the Sweet 16? So in one year he went from surprising everyone and winning the 15th Region to being a horrible coach and running everyone off en masse? Doesn't make sense to me but what do I know. Maybe Matney could rock the EagleGymnasium like he does EagleField. Look what he has done for the football program. So why does it always have to be the coach's fault?
gamestopper11 Wrote:everyone loved Coach Starns last year when they won the regional tournament....Wat happened?

It's called the JC Phenomena. A coach has a bad season and they cut his throat. They only love them when they win. The first sign of trouble and they are out, or at least made to feel EXTREMELY unwelcome. Last year, they were ready to erect a statue and rename the gym. One tough season and they want their $$ back. Just ask Trimble.

I can't wait until another school wants Matney and offers up more cash. He loves the school while he's there, but the second another program offers top cash, he bails. Maybe then JC will know how it feels to be expendable and dropped as soon as the next best thing walks by.

Typical JC drama. :popcorn: I support both schools in the area, but until their Admin's mentality creeps above that of a five year old, they will keep getting mad and taking their ball and going home. Rolleyes
#1TigerFan Wrote:It's called the JC Phenomena. A coach has a bad season and they cut his throat. They only love them when they win. The first sign of trouble and they are out, or at least made to feel EXTREMELY unwelcome. Last year, they were ready to erect a statue and rename the gym. One tough season and they want their $$ back. Just ask Trimble.

I can't wait until another school wants Matney and offers up more cash. He loves the school while he's there, but the second another program offers top cash, he bails. Maybe then JC will know how it feels to be expendable and dropped as soon as the next best thing walks by.

Typical JC drama. :popcorn: I support both schools in the area, but until their Admin's mentality creeps above that of a five year old, they will keep getting mad and taking their ball and going home. Rolleyes

By your post you are saying that Starns was fired, the rumors indicate that he resigned on his own. As far as you supporting both schools is hilairous! What about the typical drama at P'ville when Lemaster brought in Chuke to take over when he resigned. BMR didn't want Chuke to have the head coaching position so he took it for 1 year. IMO if P'ville would have hired Chuke their program would be in a lot better shape today.
Old School Wrote:By your post you are saying that Starns was fired, the rumors indicate that he resigned on his own. As far as you supporting both schools is hilairous! What about the typical drama at P'ville when Lemaster brought in Chuke to take over when he resigned. BMR didn't want Chuke to have the head coaching position so he took it for 1 year. IMO if P'ville would have hired Chuke their program would be in a lot better shape today.

Wow did you ask this or did your bingo buddy tell you this info? There's more drama at JC than on Days of our Lives. Back in the OLD SCHOOL days parents didn't let their kids quit when the going got tough either.
Old School Wrote:By your post you are saying that Starns was fired, the rumors indicate that he resigned on his own. As far as you supporting both schools is hilairous! What about the typical drama at P'ville when Lemaster brought in Chuke to take over when he resigned. BMR didn't want Chuke to have the head coaching position so he took it for 1 year. IMO if P'ville would have hired Chuke their program would be in a lot better shape today.

What was so "typical" about that? It has only happened at Paintsville 1 time in over a hundred years. BTW....What the hell does it have to do with Starns stepping down?
[QUOTE=The Guru]What was so "typical" about that? It has only happened at Paintsville 1 time in over a hundred years. BTW....What the hell does it have to do with Starns stepping down?[/QUOTE

About the same as (#1tiger fan) talking about Matney in his post #62 Nothing
Baller3 Wrote:Wow did you ask this or did your bingo buddy tell you this info? There's more drama at JC than on Days of our Lives. Back in the OLD SCHOOL days parents didn't let their kids quit when the going got tough either.

So I suppose that there is never drama going on at P'ville.Rolleyes I will give P'ville credit they are experts at sweeping things under the rug!!:dontthink
bball fan Wrote:JC has the biggest school in the region, first class facilities that are about to become even better, and some of the greatest people in the world inside their school system.
BUT..... the JC athletic program has problems right now! It is obvious that the success of the football program has absolutely destroyed the basketball morale to the point that Coach Starnes is fed up with the no-win situation. He may not have the best personality in the world but he is a great person and great coach. He obviously thinks he isn't getting the support that he was promised so he felt his best option was to stop fighting it. The freshmen team dropped the rest of their games because they didn't have enough players and the JV team is down to 6 players. This is from arguably the best feeder system in the state with the way Johnson County has it's athletic programs set up. They have no business not being near the top in every sport, every year..period!!!! If Johnson Central wants whats best for ALL of it's athletic teams, someone needs to take charge of the athletic program and get everyone striving towards the same goal, not cutting the throat of their own people!!
Great post...
Old School Wrote:So I suppose that there is never drama going on at P'ville.Rolleyes I will give P'ville credit they are experts at sweeping things under the rug!!:dontthink
I don't know, I'm not from Paintsville, so you tell me. It's just everytime you turn around, there's a soap opera at JC.Smile
bball fan Wrote:JC has the biggest school in the region, first class facilities that are about to become even better, and some of the greatest people in the world inside their school system.
BUT..... the JC athletic program has problems right now! It is obvious that the success of the football program has absolutely destroyed the basketball morale to the point that Coach Starnes is fed up with the no-win situation. He may not have the best personality in the world but he is a great person and great coach. He obviously thinks he isn't getting the support that he was promised so he felt his best option was to stop fighting it. The freshmen team dropped the rest of their games because they didn't have enough players and the JV team is down to 6 players. This is from arguably the best feeder system in the state with the way Johnson County has it's athletic programs set up. They have no business not being near the top in every sport, every year..period!!!! If Johnson Central wants whats best for ALL of it's athletic teams, someone needs to take charge of the athletic program and get everyone striving towards the same goal, not cutting the throat of their own people!!

This is an awesome post!
#1TigerFan Wrote:It's called the JC Phenomena. A coach has a bad season and they cut his throat. They only love them when they win. The first sign of trouble and they are out, or at least made to feel EXTREMELY unwelcome. Last year, they were ready to erect a statue and rename the gym. One tough season and they want their $$ back. Just ask Trimble.

Just ask Trimble??? Why don't you ask Paintsville's administration what they did to former star athlete and coach Burrhead Lemaster.
THOMCAT Wrote:Just ask Trimble??? Why don't you ask Paintsville's administration what they did to former star athlete and coach Burrhead Lemaster.
What did they do???
Take him out of the classroom, give him an admin. pos. and a Pay raise. He is much more able to take care of his family now.
Sure he liked Coaching, but, Coaching is not the be all end all. Sure some like to think that being a coach is the greatest accomplishment there is, but in reality, it's just a job and if you can make more money by not coaching, then why not?
THOMCAT Wrote:Just ask Trimble??? Why don't you ask Paintsville's administration what they did to former star athlete and coach Burrhead Lemaster.
Don't turn this into a Paintsville vs. JC thread please. This is about Starn's and his resignation. Any more information???

We have 2 great schools systems in Paintsville. Yes, I support both. Some of us are mature enough to do so.

I never implied Starns was fired. I said some were made to feel "extremely unwelcome". Maybe he resigned because he'd had enough with going from the Golden boy to the step child. Granted no one should ever quit. I beleive in seeing it through to the end.

If Paintsville had hired Chuke, my screen name would be #1Eagle Fan. Chuke has been in trouble everywhere he's ever coached. He screwed LeMaster over. He talked LeMaster into bringing him in and then ran him off. Runyon did the right thing. Glad to see Chuke go. If you like him so much, you can hire him in two years when Matney leaves.
#1TigerFan Wrote:We have 2 great schools systems in Paintsville. Yes, I support both. Some of us are mature enough to do so.

I never implied Starns was fired. I said some were made to feel "extremely unwelcome". Maybe he resigned because he'd had enough with going from the Golden boy to the step child. Granted no one should ever quit. I beleive in seeing it through to the end.

If Paintsville had hired Chuke, my screen name would be #1Eagle Fan. Chuke has been in trouble everywhere he's ever coached. He screwed LeMaster over. He talked LeMaster into bringing him in and then ran him off. Runyon did the right thing. Glad to see Chuke go. If you like him so much, you can hire him in two years when Matney leaves.
\\

There you going supporting JC again. Thanks for the help.
This sounds about right... The JCHS people arent the brightest bunch...lol
who is there Athletic director anyway?
^I'm not from JC, but you are not to bright for saying that. JCHS is a great school and there's probably not a credible reason to say that they are not bright, every place has morons.
[QUOTE=#1TigerFan]It's called the JC Phenomena. A coach has a bad season and they cut his throat. They only love them when they win. The first sign of trouble and they are out, or at least made to feel EXTREMELY unwelcome. Last year, they were ready to erect a statue and rename the gym. One tough season and they want their $$ back.

Is that is not implying that the was fired?
mcfan1 Wrote:^I'm not from JC, but you are not to bright for saying that. JCHS is a great school and there's probably not a credible reason to say that they are not bright, every place has morons.

ur right im sorry... But JCHS just has alot more morons than the average school
Keep this thread on track or it will be closed!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen - Winston Churchill
The Dirty 1 Wrote:ur right im sorry... But JCHS just has alot more morons than the average school

Better watch who your callin a Moron there buddy!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen - Winston Churchill
SE04 Wrote:Better watch who your callin a Moron there buddy!!!

What are you gonna do about it...lol
We will have alot of speculation as to why this happened or that happened when something like this discussion takes place. It is ok to air things out and discuss but there is no need to call anyone names or make references that are not needed. That is probably all I have to say about that.
Why blame Starns for leaving?Right now the only thing they really care about at JC is the football program.I hope that coach Mckenzie and the rest of the coaching staff will get plenty of support from the administration as well as the fans and the local community!! This is a sad situation right now, but things will get better!!!
WOW. I for one am loving this......
This is no longer a rumor! Coach Starns has resigned and it is effective right away. He has not explained his action to his players at this point and it remains to be seen if he will. This was totally his doing and had nothing to do with pressure from the admin. or parents. IMO this was a classless move and will look bad on any future resumes he may file. However, I would like to wish him good luck in his future endevors and hopefully JC can move on and forget about the classless thing he did to our kids and community. Those guys deserve better and just when things got tought thier leader split! I guess this goes to show us all what kind of person Mark Starns really is! I supported him until now and have defended his actions many times. No matter what move he is making I firmly believe what he did was wrong and nothing will change my mind! Hopefully Tommy Mckenzie and the rest of the staff will get things turned around and compete for a regional title once again. Good luck to the players and the rest of the coaches! BTW, maybe I am a moron but I don't get on here and call other ppl names and I think you owe all Johnson Countians an apology! Thanks :Thumbs:
The Dirty 1 Wrote:This sounds about right... The JCHS people arent the brightest bunch...lol
who is there Athletic director anyway?

* 2006 Class AAA state semi-finalists, 13-1 record.
* 2006 15th Region boys basketball champs.
* 2004 baseball state final four.

Yeah. What do they know about sports anyway?

And who says Starns was fired? It sounds as if he left of his own free will to me.

Yeah right, you support both schools. You hate Central with a passion, so why even post junk like that? Just last week you blasted the administration at JC about something you know absolutely nothing about and was totally false and then tried to cover it up. ( Oh I forgot, that was your St. Bernard doing the talking and you actually was talking about Sheldon Clark.) Now your doing the same thing again about something that you dont know the first tidly about.

You have just about worn out the Matney stuff over the last couple of years. Give it a rest and get a life on that one.

Funny thing that you weren't blasting Bill Mike when he walked out and quit on his team last year. I remember the story of the kids going over to his house to beg him to come back. How come that wasn't the fault of the Paintsville Admin, and this is? Dont want to talk about that I guess.

From what I am reading on here Starns resigned , he was not fired or forced out. Do you have first hand information about anything that has taken place? I doubt it!!

Typical JC drama? I dont think that anything can match the 3 ring circus that has enveloped the Paintsville football program and the backstabbing that has taken place there the last couple of years. Of course you dont want to talk about that either do you?

It seems that trying to find something to blast JC about has totally consumed your every thought process. Why do you feel that you constantly have to do that? Did an eagle attack you when you were little and you now have nightmares about it , or what?
rooster Wrote:Yeah right, you support both schools. You hate Central with a passion, so why even post junk like that? Just last week you blasted the administration at JC about something you know absolutely nothing about and was totally false and then tried to cover it up. ( Oh I forgot, that was your St. Bernard doing the talking and you actually was talking about Sheldon Clark.) Now your doing the same thing again about something that you dont know the first tidly about.

You have just about worn out the Matney stuff over the last couple of years. Give it a rest and get a life on that one.

Funny thing that you weren't blasting Bill Mike when he walked out and quit on his team last year. I remember the story of the kids going over to his house to beg him to come back. How come that wasn't the fault of the Paintsville Admin, and this is? Dont want to talk about that I guess.

From what I am reading on here Starns resigned , he was not fired or forced out. Do you have first hand information about anything that has taken place? I doubt it!!

Typical JC drama? I dont think that anything can match the 3 ring circus that has enveloped the Paintsville football program and the backstabbing that has taken place there the last couple of years. Of course you dont want to talk about that either do you?

It seems that trying to find something to blast JC about has totally consumed your every thought process. Why do you feel that you constantly have to do that? Did an eagle attack you when you were little and you now have nightmares about it , or what?

:Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs: You totally ROCK!!! Great post!
Great post firebird.