Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone remember?
A 25 point win for Lawrence Co. against John Pelphry,s Paintsville team.It was on a night where their was a snow blizzard outside.It was 1984 and lawrence had what I believe was Lawrence Countys best team with Brian Skaggs,Eddie Vinson,Marcus Preeman,Brian Prickett,John Fields,Brian Ratliff and David Wheeler.I think Pelphry was only a sophmore.The game was played at Paintsville.
I dont remember the game but i do remember that team. I was only a freshman in high school. lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
if it was played in 84, then maybe all five starters for Paintsville would have either been freshmen or sophomores.
rooster Wrote:if it was played in 84, then maybe all five starters for Paintsville would have either been freshmen or sophomores.

Why do you say that, So your saying they didnt have jr's or sr's on that team.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think he means couch and pelphry and minix and the rest of those players were either soph or freshman.
It was right around Christmas which would have had it in 84.Vinson and clan graduated in 85.One player who no one ever got to see just how good he was ,,was Marcus Preeman an exchange student from Germany
Lawrence County lost to West Carter in the semi,s of the region.We lost twice to a Mike Scott led Greenup County team.Scott went to wake Forest then transferred to KY.
I remember going to Greenup Co on a pep bus, I have no clue why they dont do that more often.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We need more fans and they would provide transportation.That to me was the most exciting year in Lawrence County basketball.84-85
I remember them playing Scott that year. He looked good in High School then sucked in college.
Batbuff when Michael west was playing we always had bigger crowds than the teams we played on the road.We beat Belfry 50-6 up there and had more fans than they did.sorry i reckon this should be on football.Great memories are hard to hold back:rockon:
Batpuff Wrote:Why do you say that, So your saying they didnt have jr's or sr's on that team.
The year that John Pelphrey was a freshman Bill Mike started 5 freshmen. I cant remember if he started them all as sophomores or not. So Lawrence may have beaten 5 freshmen or 5 sophomores that year is all I was saying.
In '84 the only Senior who may have even remotely played roundball would have been Jerry Castle.
My point about Lawrence County basketball----EXACTLY!!!! Mediocrity reigns!!!!Talkin' about the best team Lawrence County ever had!!! Bragging about a win against Paintsville when Pelphrey and Co. were Sophomores??? Losing in the semi-finals of the region???? Marcus Preman was great---you are right. But Eddie Vinson was a wimp--who refused to play inside even though he was 6'5/6'6. Lawrence County has NEVER been a bball school. LCHS regional titles? GOOSE EGG. District titles? any?
No i don't remember it considering i wasn't born. LoL
Lawrence Co. has produced some really good teams in the past . I really haven't kept up with their basketball teams since they moved them from the 15th Reg, 57th Dist. Now they are back in the 57th so I'll get a chance to see them play. Back before consolidation, Blaine High School was always a tough team to play. I remember some players in the 60's that were outstanding for Blaine. I think one was Terry Young, big guy with good inside game. There was a guy, last name West that was one of the best guards in the 15th Reg. I think he may have played in the SEC, not really sure.
Louisa High School had some really talented teams. One of the best teams I can remember was the team Jim Bob Michael and Eddie Edwards played on in the early 70's.
Even though Lawrence Co High is more of a football school now, Lawrenc County use to be known more for basketball than football.
You younger guys and girls need to talk to your grandparents about some of the old days in Louisa,Blaine, Webville and there was another school that I can't remember the name of. There were some really good teams and some really outstanding talent.
kyrifle Wrote:Lawrence Co. has produced some really good teams in the past . I really haven't kept up with their basketball teams since they moved them from the 15th Reg, 57th Dist. Now they are back in the 57th so I'll get a chance to see them play. Back before consolidation, Blaine High School was always a tough team to play. I remember some players in the 60's that were outstanding for Blaine. I think one was Terry Young, big guy with good inside game. There was a guy, last name West that was one of the best guards in the 15th Reg. I think he may have played in the SEC, not really sure.
Louisa High School had some really talented teams. One of the best teams I can remember was the team Jim Bob Michael and Eddie Edwards played on in the early 70's.
Even though Lawrence Co High is more of a football school now, Lawrenc County use to be known more for basketball than football.
You younger guys and girls need to talk to your grandparents about some of the old days in Louisa,Blaine, Webville and there was another school that I can't remember the name of. There were some really good teams and some really outstanding talent.
I dont remember Edwards, but I do remember Drexel Short and Jim Bob Michaels being a dynamic duo in about '73 maybe '74.
If you're talking about Don West---he went to play for Austin Peay. So did the Williams guy that played with him. But bottom line is that NO team from Lawrence County (pre or post consolidation) ever went to the Sweet 16!!!! Look at Johnson County/Paintsville schools ----Oil Springs, Meade, Johnson Central, and Paintsville High Schools----all with trips to the Sweet 16!!! Inez High School!!!! How about that one? Lawrence County = not a basketball school (never has been)
Well if you dont like what old school was talking about then just find another thread. All they were doing was remembering days of old just like everyone else has done on here as well. And no they may not have any Regional titles but they have won a few District titles. Lawrence Co was a basketball school at one time. They may not have won that many but they were know for basketball and not football.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
firetubbyplease! Wrote:My point about Lawrence County basketball----EXACTLY!!!! Mediocrity reigns!!!!Talkin' about the best team Lawrence County ever had!!! Bragging about a win against Paintsville when Pelphrey and Co. were Sophomores??? Losing in the semi-finals of the region???? Marcus Preman was great---you are right. But Eddie Vinson was a wimp--who refused to play inside even though he was 6'5/6'6. Lawrence County has NEVER been a bball school. LCHS regional titles? GOOSE EGG. District titles? any?
Pal you are exactly right!!!
rooster Wrote:I dont remember Edwards, but I do remember Drexel Short and Jim Bob Michaels being a dynamic duo in about '73 maybe '74.
That team lost 14 games that year too.The Blaine team had williams West and Young Young was 6'8.That had to be the best team ever in Lawrence County.NO one was even close.
Do something about your nickname firetubbyplease,, classless.That dont mean you are pal but dont use a name that is classless and gutless and I dont want to sound mean but I didnt care one bit to take the school bully on in school and people on here who say mean things for no reason at all probably just write things like that in just a spur of a moment.Lawrence County is or has been in the past a football school in a basketball state but with our program down there too ,,,the basketball program has a chance to grap a litttle spotlight but I dont see it happening anytime soon.Things will be the same here Im afraid.We can be hard to beat here in Louisa,,,sometimes.
Think I struck a nerve. Don't care what you think about my nickname either. The man is paid 2 1/2 million a yr. and results have been thin.

As far as the Lawrence County bball situation-- I wish nothing but the best for the current Dawg team. Coach Anderson is a good coach---proven in his time in WV. My comments were not about the present---but the past. Compared to other schools in surrounding counties (Ashland, Paintsville, JC (and the schools that consolidated into it), Inez, etc) Lawrence County has never been known as a basketball school (except maybe in the minds of some Lawrence Countians).
firetubbyplease! Wrote:Think I struck a nerve. Don't care what you think about my nickname either. The man is paid 2 1/2 million a yr. and results have been thin.

As far as the Lawrence County bball situation-- I wish nothing but the best for the current Dawg team. Coach Anderson is a good coach---proven in his time in WV. My comments were not about the present---but the past. Compared to other schools in surrounding counties (Ashland, Paintsville, JC (and the schools that consolidated into it), Inez, etc) Lawrence County has never been known as a basketball school (except maybe in the minds of some Lawrence Countians).
You do too care about what people think about your posted name.hehe Your right about basketball here in Louisa,,I only have a few good memories.The present Im afraid seems like the past.By the way,,check and see how many games Tubby has won at Kentucky and you will see he is in the top 3 d1 coaches for that time span,,check it out.