Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mercer 15 Russell 12 2A State Championship
I spoke to some of the kids who were down after the game.. and I said this.....
In the history of RUSSELL football,, 3 teams have been in the championship game since 1917.......
You guys played in 2 of them and won 1... Every HASBEEN that goes to the games who did not play during the 78 championship would give their left NUT to be on that field win/or loose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great achievment for our program and our boys....
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Just wanted to say I had to sit down when I got home and send a little email to the KHSAA on their website about the game. I know my opionion doesn't matter, but it felt good anyway. Would I have sent the email if we had won, probably not, but Mercer should have. Just had to say that. Hard fought game for both teams though.

Come on Devils let's go play some basketball!!!!!:letsparty
Hypothetical question here...Let's say the khsaa deemed Mercer's win today a forefit seeing as how they should be playing in a higher class than 2A, would the fans want to accept taking the title by forefit, or would you rather let Mercer keep the title? Or have a possible rematch?
just curious what you all would think on it....
Panther#42 Wrote:Hypothetical question here...Let's say the khsaa deemed Mercer's win today a forefit seeing as how they should be playing in a higher class than 2A, would the fans want to accept taking the title by forefit, or would you rather let Mercer keep the title? Or have a possible rematch?

Well a rematch would'nt do anything, since the team is still not 2A. I'm not so sure, i'm sure a nice ring wouldnt look so bad :moon:
PureRedDevil Wrote:Well a rematch would'nt do anything, since the team is still not 2A. I'm not so sure, i'm sure a nice ring wouldnt look so bad :moon:

Yes, 2 rings side by side on your hand would look pretty nice..Bling bling lol
Panther#42 Wrote:Hypothetical question here...Let's say the khsaa deemed Mercer's win today a forefit seeing as how they should be playing in a higher class than 2A, would the fans want to accept taking the title by forefit, or would you rather let Mercer keep the title? Or have a possible rematch?

We actually had this conversation in the car on the way home tonight. It would only be fair that Russell play OCATH for the championship. Replaying the game wouldn't get anybody anywhere. I know the kids at Mercer had nothing to do with any of this, but tonight I couldn't help think about the other teams that Mercer played in regular season. What a pity.
JFLDAD Wrote:We actually had this conversation in the car on the way home tonight. It would only be fair that Russell play OCATH for the championship. Replaying the game wouldn't get anybody anywhere. I know the kids at Mercer had nothing to do with any of this, but tonight I couldn't help think about the other teams that Mercer played in regular season. What a pity.

wouldn't we have to go back to week 1 of the playoffs?? i mean like how could you do that....i don't think it would work in my opinion.
JFLDAD Wrote:We actually had this conversation in the car on the way home tonight. It would only be fair that Russell play OCATH for the championship. Replaying the game wouldn't get anybody anywhere. I know the kids at Mercer had nothing to do with any of this, but tonight I couldn't help think about the other teams that Mercer played in regular season. What a pity.

True, O'Cath would be the only other team to play really....
Has there ever been a team like Mercer that was newly formed and won the title in the same year?
russelldevils54 Wrote:wouldn't we have to go back to week 1 of the playoffs?? i mean like how could you do that....i don't think it would work in my opinion.

No not really, O'cath beat everyone they played in playoffs up until Mercer, so O'Cath would be the team for Russell to play
Panther#42 Wrote:No not really, O'cath beat everyone they played in playoffs up until Mercer, so O'Cath would be the team for Russell to play

oh i see..........that would be good.....lol another shot at a title....
It would be nice to see a Co-championship.... I would still go for that... Let Meger keep the win but since they are out of our class.. and we are the only ones left... We should at least have a co-championship...
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
[QUOTE=Congrats Russell, we ARE the best 2A team in the state.
"the REAL 2A state champions"[/QUOTE]
Do you get a trophy for being "the REAL 2A state champions?"
TRAIN85 Wrote:Do you get a trophy for being "the REAL 2A state champions?"

In a way yes we do have that trophy, We will have the experience of our returning players. Mercer had a, fast, good defense, we lost to a good team. They deserve that title. If Russell would have not made the mistakes and the call of Mercer's 2nd TD. The game would have been different. I still don't think that kid got in when it was 4th and inches. Took them forever to call it. But hey, they did well no matter how you look at it.
Congrats to Mercer. Its going to be a long time before they will ever see this again in 5A.
Congrats Mercer. I have to put my two cents in. I'm not from Russell and i live about four hour away, you guy's got hosed. I can't remember his name but your back in the first quarter was hit at the twenty by three Mercer players drove him back to the twenty five then the ball comes lose, fumble. No way. His foward progress should have been blown dead at the twenty, no fumble. Mercers first touchdown didn't happen. With one yard to go he was hit behind the line of scimmage was not making any foward progress. He fumbles only after about three second of bieng held up about the two yard line. the ref's blew it. Russell I have never seen you guy's play until yesterday, you are the best 2A team in the state.
Congrats Red Devils on a great season. It's really hard to take an "L" knowing your the best team in 2AA. For the players that don't graduate, learn from this for next year. For those that do graduate, you can learn one of life's leason's, it's not always fair.
JFLDAD Wrote:Just wanted to say I had to sit down when I got home and send a little email to the KHSAA on their website about the game. I know my opionion doesn't matter, but it felt good anyway. Would I have sent the email if we had won, probably not, but Mercer should have. Just had to say that. Hard fought game for both teams though.

Come on Devils let's go play some basketball!!!!!:letsparty
I will be sending a letter also asking them why they keep denying the numbers. Their coach was quoted in the news paper saying they had an enrollment of 900, but the KHSAA program has them listed at 683.
I am sure that I will make a few people mad with this post but here goes.

We need to take the high road as far as the merger is concerned. There is nothing that we can do about it so we need to move on and look forward to next season.

Should there be co AA champs. Absolutely NOT. Mercer played in the classification that the KHSAA put them in and did what they needed to do to win.

Is this win tainted? In some peoples mind. Yes but the fact of the matter is that the record books will still show that Mercer is the 06 AA state champs and there is nothing we can do to change that.

Should Russell have won the game. Yes if they would have taken care of the ball I would say that they could have won the game handily. They did not and Mercer capitalized on the mistakes and did what they had to do to win.

Bottom line. Enough of the merger talk. It is over and done with.

Keep this thread about the game and not about the merger. If not i will close it. We all need to be mature and humble. win or lose. remember NO EXCUSES!
Does anyone have the link to the stats from yesterday's game?
jgrubby Wrote:Does anyone have the link to the stats from yesterday's game?

http://www.khsaa.org/football/2006/2afinal.htm
jgrubby Wrote:Does anyone have the link to the stats from yesterday's game?
http://www.khsaa.org/football/2006/2a/xlive.htm
Thanks
Midee1 Wrote:I am sure that I will make a few people mad with this post but here goes.

We need to take the high road as far as the merger is concerned. There is nothing that we can do about it so we need to move on and look forward to next season.

Should there be co AA champs. Absolutely NOT. Mercer played in the classification that the KHSAA put them in and did what they needed to do to win.

Is this win tainted? In some peoples mind. Yes but the fact of the matter is that the record books will still show that Mercer is the 06 AA state champs and there is nothing we can do to change that.

Should Russell have won the game. Yes if they would have taken care of the ball I would say that they could have won the game handily. They did not and Mercer capitalized on the mistakes and did what they had to do to win.

Keep this thread about the game and not about the merger. If not i will close it. We all need to be mature and humble. win or lose. remember NO EXCUSES!

Yah your right, whats done is done, BUT... RUSSELL WILL BE BACK!!:devilflam
Again and again and again ..................

We can talk all about moving on with our lives after this football season, BUT I feel that this season is NOT going to be over for a very long time.. This season will go down in history as a season to remember.........KHSAA allowing something that is against their own bylaws to happen.... Their rules, they made them, they broke them.
No matter what you say, what you request, what is edited, what is removed from this posting board, no matter what anyone will want to say.....2006 season of AA will always be remembered as a tainted season..... NO MATTER WHAT......
I love football and I by no means am I whining.... this is the plain truth....
I may be a moderator on this board and may have to play the middleroad, not take sides, and must keep my ties with Russell under control and not interfer with my duties as a moderator, BUT I can still voice my opinion as memeber of this FREE posting site that is the best in the state..
Go BGR- ..
Sorry guys if I opened a can of worms here. Congratulations on a great season. Belfry wasn't as good this year as they have been in the past few but a good team none the less. And you guys came down here and handed us our helmets after you knocked them off. I was very impressed with you guys this year. Oh well we can all try again next year. Let's head north to Morgantown and hope WVU can beat Rutgers. Talk again later. Long trip ahead.
congrats Mercer
Congrats Mercer, but also, congrats Russell on playing that well.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Midee1 Wrote:I am sure that I will make a few people mad with this post but here goes.

Nice Post.
[email=BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/email]
BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Bottom line. Enough of the merger talk. It is over and done with.

We can talk all about moving on with our lives after this football season, BUT I feel that this season is NOT going to be over for a very long time.. This season will go down in history as a season to remember.........KHSAA allowing something that is against their own bylaws to happen.... Their rules, they made them, they broke them.
No matter what you say, what you request, what is edited, what is removed from this posting board, no matter what anyone will want to say.....2006 season of AA will always be remembered as a tainted season..... NO MATTER WHAT......
I may be a moderator on this board and may have to play the middleroad, not take sides, and must keep my ties with Russell under control and not interfer with my duties as a moderator, BUT I can still voice my opinion as memeber of this FREE posting site that is the best in the state..
Go BGR- ..

Absolutely correct D.:Thumbs:
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Bottom line. Enough of the merger talk. It is over and done with.

Go BGR- ..
What bylaws were not followed? What rules were broken? I am just curious, not disputing your post.
Twitter: @tc_analytics