Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
16th Region Discussion
(10-08-2024, 04:25 PM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:
(10-08-2024, 03:33 PM)HOOPFAN Wrote:
(10-08-2024, 11:31 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:
(10-07-2024, 09:36 PM)Ky1976 Wrote:
(10-05-2024, 10:21 PM)HOOPFAN Wrote: Moved? Still lives in Ohio!

I think he must also run sports talk 16th region on X as well. That opinion with statistics as well. Head to Head last two seasons BC has won 5 of the last 8 games. That looks like the better team jmo
That’s like saying Lebron is better than Jordan because he has played in 10 finals and only won 4 of them.  What an idiot.
Your comment doesn’t make sense.  Please keep commenting and solidifying my point.  Ashland played in 6 regional Championship games and won 6 Championship games.  There is a reason that kids do not want to come to Boyd.  Look in the mirror rather than trying all the shady junk.  It is becoming a program that is laughed at across the state due to all the “Cry Wolfe” calls made to the KHSAA.  They are tired of a certain daddy calling every single season.  As I stated earlier…. Coach the young men and try to win without all of the trash!  Until then, Boyd will be Boyd!

I think the point is proven.  3-1 last year BC vs Ashland.
6X Regional Champions is point proven!  Ok. Now your turn to post something better.  Clock starts now…
6x all region team. Still 1-3 vs BC pat 4 games. Lol
(10-08-2024, 10:34 PM)HOOPFAN Wrote:
(10-08-2024, 04:25 PM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:
(10-08-2024, 03:33 PM)HOOPFAN Wrote:
(10-08-2024, 11:31 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:
(10-07-2024, 09:36 PM)Ky1976 Wrote: That’s like saying Lebron is better than Jordan because he has played in 10 finals and only won 4 of them.  What an idiot.
Your comment doesn’t make sense.  Please keep commenting and solidifying my point.  Ashland played in 6 regional Championship games and won 6 Championship games.  There is a reason that kids do not want to come to Boyd.  Look in the mirror rather than trying all the shady junk.  It is becoming a program that is laughed at across the state due to all the “Cry Wolfe” calls made to the KHSAA.  They are tired of a certain daddy calling every single season.  As I stated earlier…. Coach the young men and try to win without all of the trash!  Until then, Boyd will be Boyd!

I think the point is proven.  3-1 last year BC vs Ashland.
6X Regional Champions is point proven!  Ok. Now your turn to post something better.  Clock starts now…
6x all region team. Still 1-3 vs BC pat 4 games. Lol

What does this mean?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fanman's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
Ashland has won six consecutive 16th regional titles, and they have played darn well once they got to the Sweet 16. The first one they won their opening game over Owensboro, and I might add their first year coach won with the players that was already at Ashland when he got there….no transfers.
Success breeds success and they have continued to win titles since. They have been to the semifinals another time. They were undefeated at 33-0 the Covid year. And lest anyone doesn’t remember the Tomcats gave eventual state champion Lyon County the scare of their lives in the first round when Lyon overcame a 6 point deficit in the final minutes to pull out a narrow victory.
Ashland has a solid program. They have tradition and they work hard to keep their program competitive. Players and parents that are not satisfied with wherever they are and are looking for a better opportunity like programs like Ashland has built with such a rich tradition over the decades.
Ashland doesn’t have to “recruit”. Their program and school’s success recruits for itself.
[-] The following 2 users Like LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • Appalachian Cat, Ky1976
I’d say that’s partially true- Ashland is a legit program.

However, and I believe this in all cases almost- no move happens without a discussion beforehand. They don’t just show up. And that is stuff that happens EVERYWHERE not just Ashland.

Like Ironton/Raceland in football
(10-08-2024, 10:58 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Ashland has won six consecutive 16th regional titles, and they have played darn well once they got to the Sweet 16. The first one they won their opening game over Owensboro, and I might add their first year coach won with the players that was already at Ashland when he got there….no transfers.
Success breeds success and they have continued to win titles since. They have been to the semifinals another time. They were undefeated at 33-0 the Covid year. And lest anyone doesn’t remember the Tomcats gave eventual state champion Lyon County the scare of their lives in the first round when Lyon overcame a 6 point deficit in the final minutes to pull out a narrow victory.
Ashland has a solid program. They have tradition and they work hard to keep their program competitive. Players and parents that are not satisfied with wherever they are and are looking for a better opportunity like programs like Ashland has built with such a rich tradition over the decades.
Ashland doesn’t have to “recruit”. Their program and school’s success recruits for itself.

I think you are confused. Ashland only has a couple of kids who live in Ashland and have been developed in their program. The only tradition or reputation they have is that they recruit. They do nothing special there. That is why you don't see Ashland kids play there. It is kids they have brought in and recruited. Be realistic with yourself. Offering money, college scholarships, and whatever else they say to recruit kids from the actual school who has actually developed the player. That is the truth. It isn't pretty at all and put * on 6 region titles they won. Last two regions they won they were on probation for recruiting.
(10-09-2024, 01:53 PM)HOOPFAN Wrote:
(10-08-2024, 10:58 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Ashland has won six consecutive 16th regional titles, and they have played darn well once they got to the Sweet 16. The first one they won their opening game over Owensboro, and I might add their first year coach won with the players that was already at Ashland when he got there….no transfers.

I think you are confused. Ashland only has a couple of kids who live in Ashland and have been developed in their program.  The only tradition or reputation they have is that they recruit.  They do nothing special there. That is why you don't see Ashland kids play there. It is kids they have brought in and recruited. Be realistic with yourself.  Offering money, college scholarships, and whatever else they say to recruit kids from the actual school who has actually developed the player. That is the truth. It isn't pretty at all and put * on 6 region titles they won.  Last two regions they won they were on probation for recruiting.
I know something else that Ashland don’t do and that’s play politics with dad.
(10-09-2024, 06:29 PM)Ky1976 Wrote:

I think you are confused. Ashland only has a couple of kids who live in Ashland and have been developed in their program.  The only tradition or reputation they have is that they recruit.  They do nothing special there. That is why you don't see Ashland kids play there. It is kids they have brought in and recruited. Be realistic with yourself.  Offering money, college scholarships, and whatever else they say to recruit kids from the actual school who has actually developed the player. That is the truth. It isn't pretty at all and put * on 6 region titles they won.  Last two regions they won they were on probation for recruiting.

Ashland politics with the crazy dads of Ashland are on a scale never seen before. With the addition of smith and neel dads with Carter and Lalonde and Davis dads this post is laughable. Who is driving the bus to crazy town. Bonner has his hands full.
(10-09-2024, 07:45 PM)HOOPFAN Wrote:

Ashland politics with the crazy dads of Ashland are on a scale never seen before. With the addition of smith and neel dads with Carter and Lalonde and Davis dads this post is laughable.  Who is driving the bus to crazy town. Bonner has his hands full.

Maybe they should try to get themselves on the bench with Bonner
(10-09-2024, 08:20 PM)Fanman Wrote:

Ashland politics with the crazy dads of Ashland are on a scale never seen before. With the addition of smith and neel dads with Carter and Lalonde and Davis dads this post is laughable.  Who is driving the bus to crazy town. Bonner has his hands full.

Maybe they should try to get themselves on the bench with Bonner

I am sure they will have vacancies pretty soon! HaHa!

Coach A lost all credibility from lots of people when he allowed this last idiot on the bench.
(10-10-2024, 10:48 PM)Ky1976 Wrote:

Coach A lost all credibility from lots of people when he allowed this last idiot on the bench.

You spelled Bonner wrong. LOL
Picked up an issue of the Cats Pause Yearbook today, here are their 16th predictions:

I know the previous coach, who you dislike so much, only had 3 transfers that played meaningful time for him at Ashland in the 4 years he was there, (all regional championship years I must add): Porter, Carter and Marcum (1 year for him). That’s feeble when comparing to the transfers that come into other programs around the state. Clark won a state title with 4 transfers who started for them. I am referring to the years the coach was there. Some may have played elementary ball elsewhere but when he took over the job they were already at Ashland. You try to make him sound like he was a big time recruiter and couldn’t win without them. His first year as coach when he inherited the team that was already there proves that thinking wrong as he won the region that season. 
And I will say again, 98% of transfers is parent/player driven. They make the first contacts. And few parents transfer their kids without having a conversation with someone at the schools beforehand. Most are looking for a better opportunity for their children.
It's like the 2 political parties today, one says the other is doing this when in reality it's the pot calling the kettle black. This my friend is HOOPFAN!!!!!!!!
(10-16-2024, 10:32 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:

I know the previous coach, who you dislike so much, only had 3 transfers that played meaningful time for him at Ashland in the 4 years he was there, (all regional championship years I must add): Porter, Carter and Marcum (1 year for him). That’s feeble when comparing to the transfers that come into other programs around the state. Clark won a state title with 4 transfers who started for them. I am referring to the years the coach was there. Some may have played elementary ball elsewhere but when he took over the job they were already at Ashland. You try to make him sound like he was a big time recruiter and couldn’t win without them. His first year as coach when he inherited the team that was already there proves that thinking wrong as he won the region that season. 
And I will say again, 98% of transfers is parent/player driven. They make the first contacts. And few parents transfer their kids without having a conversation with someone at the schools beforehand. Most are looking for a better opportunity for their children.
I agree recruiting by most peoples definition goes on in every region in Ky. And yes it is primarily initiated by the parents. Coaches that win get labeled a “recruiter” usually by that school’s rival lol. Jealousy runs deep in Ky basketball.
[-] The following 1 user Likes shottaker23's post:
  • Ky1976
(10-16-2024, 10:32 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:

He was a big-time recruiter and he could not win without them. Just like the current coaching staff could not win without recruitment. Im not talking transfer by the rule.

(10-16-2024, 10:49 AM)Ky1976 Wrote: It's like the 2 political parties today, one says the other is doing this when in reality it's the pot calling the kettle black. This my friend is HOOPFAN!!!!!!!!

Another year and another KHSAA investigation for recruiting. Fresh off a two year probation period, and we will see what happens with this current situation of the videos of the Ashland coach recruiting the latest addition. LOL
BIG TYME RECRUITER APB > little brother bc even with political power Senior Advisor
I was told the videos don’t imply recruiting.
(10-16-2024, 07:53 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote: I was told the videos don’t imply recruiting.

I was told there was video of an Ashland coach working with the kid inside Russell facilities, is that what you heard?
(10-16-2024, 07:53 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote: I was told the videos don’t imply recruiting.

By who? Khsaa? Or the Ashland coach on the video? In the schools gym from the latest recruiting addition?
Just saw the video. It looked like a Sasquatch jumping from a UFO into the Ohio river and then riding the Loch Ness Monster to the Russel bridge to pick up what appeared to be a basketball player and then riding double to the Ashland boat ramp all the while shooting free throws into Nessie's nostrils. What was thought to be a Sasquatch turned out to be an Ashland coach in a gorilla costume. He was seen (on video) disrobing and throwing the costume into a trash dumpster behind Anderson gym. Undeniable....
(10-16-2024, 10:01 PM)i82much Wrote: Just saw the video.  It looked like a Sasquatch jumping from a UFO into the Ohio river and then riding the Loch Ness Monster to the Russel bridge to pick up what appeared to be a basketball player and then riding double to the Ashland boat ramp all the while shooting free throws into Nessie's nostrils.  What was thought to be a Sasquatch turned out to be an Ashland coach in a gorilla costume. He was seen (on video) disrobing and throwing the costume into a trash dumpster behind Anderson gym. Undeniable....

Very sarcastic way of saying it didn't happen. Either that or need to replace the "8" in your name to something else  Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Fanman's post:
  • i82much, Runrunrun
(10-16-2024, 10:17 PM)Fanman Wrote:
(10-16-2024, 10:01 PM)i82much Wrote: Just saw the video.  It looked like a Sasquatch jumping from a UFO into the Ohio river and then riding the Loch Ness Monster to the Russel bridge to pick up what appeared to be a basketball player and then riding double to the Ashland boat ramp all the while shooting free throws into Nessie's nostrils.  What was thought to be a Sasquatch turned out to be an Ashland coach in a gorilla costume. He was seen (on video) disrobing and throwing the costume into a trash dumpster behind Anderson gym. Undeniable....

Very sarcastic way of saying it didn't happen. Either that or need to replace the "8" in your name to something else  Big Grin

Looks like trouble ahead. Apparently the kid was a pretty good shooter. Nessie has a deviated septum which will require surgery. ASPCA investigation and charges pending.
[-] The following 1 user Likes i82much's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
(10-16-2024, 08:22 PM)HOOPFAN Wrote:

By who?  Khsaa? Or the Ashland coach on the video? In the schools gym from the latest recruiting addition?
Doesn’t imply recruiting at all.  This guy is a skill development guy that works out players for a living with a company. (And has done this for a long time)  You are trying to use it to fit your narrative.  Typical move from your school.  Russell has some internal issues just like Boyd.  That is why people are taking their kids elsewhere. They both have an Alpha on the bench that are crippling the programs.  It is that simple.  Hoop fan should know a lot about it.
(Yesterday, 09:00 PM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:

By who?  Khsaa? Or the Ashland coach on the video? In the schools gym from the latest recruiting addition?
Doesn’t imply recruiting at all.  This guy is a skill development guy that works out players for a living with a company. (And has done this for a long time)  You are trying to use it to fit your narrative.  Typical move from your school.  Russell has some internal issues just like Boyd.  That is why people are taking their kids elsewhere. They both have an Alpha on the bench that are crippling the programs.  It is that simple.  Hoop fan should know a lot about it.

You as an Ashland coach cannot use I’m a trainer and go into schools and pouch, recruit and steal kids in that schools facilities. When you get caught and then say. Oh I’m a trainer! Haha ? are you even reading what you are saying. This has to be the dumbest statement on this thread or any thread for that matter.
(Yesterday, 10:56 PM)HOOPFAN Wrote:
(Yesterday, 09:00 PM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:

You as an Ashland coach cannot use I’m a trainer and go into schools and pouch, recruit and steal kids in that schools facilities.  When you get caught and then say. Oh I’m a trainer!  Haha ? are you even reading what you are saying. This has to be the dumbest statement on this thread or any thread for that matter.
See highlighted words above.  I rest my case.
Carter is hands down the best COMPLETE player in the region. I find it really funny though as I remember Dicky giving out the KHSAA phone number when Rose Hill had Mayo and Dawson, now Ashland is worse than Rose Hill ever thought of being. With Dickey being a total Ashland homer I wonder his take on transfers taking Ashland kids spots.
(6 hours ago)Runrunrun Wrote: Carter is hands down the best COMPLETE player in the region. I find it really funny though as I remember Dicky giving out the KHSAA phone number when Rose Hill had Mayo and Dawson, now Ashland is worse than Rose Hill ever thought of being. With Dickey being a total Ashland homer I wonder his take on transfers taking Ashland kids spots.

Ashland fan base and staff all have the same issue. They cheat and get caught and still try to justify. Carter is a good player and no disrespect his play. He is not the best player. Spurlock stats are better, head-to-head Spurlock is 3-1 this past season with game winning shots vs Carter. Over the season stats. Both rebounds and points per game are about the same. Shooting percentages goes to Spurlock. The range that Spurlock shoots the ball translates to the next level. No one gets face guarded like Spurlock in the Region. Most team invite Carter to shoot a 3. Both have a good basketball IQ. Based off stats and play. Spurlock edges Carter as the complete best player. Stats don't have an opinion. They are just facts that are not disputable. KHSAA website doesn't keep assist. So, I don't know what they have in that category.
(4 hours ago)HOOPFAN Wrote:
(6 hours ago)Runrunrun Wrote: Carter is hands down the best COMPLETE player in the region. I find it really funny though as I remember Dicky giving out the KHSAA phone number when Rose Hill had Mayo and Dawson, now Ashland is worse than Rose Hill ever thought of being. With Dickey being a total Ashland homer I wonder his take on transfers taking Ashland kids spots.

Ashland fan base and staff all have the same issue. They cheat and get caught and still try to justify.  Carter is a good player and no disrespect his play.  He is not the best player. Spurlock stats are better, head-to-head Spurlock is 3-1 this past season with game winning shots vs Carter. Over the season stats. Both rebounds and points per game are about the same. Shooting percentages goes to Spurlock. The range that Spurlock shoots the ball translates to the next level. No one gets face guarded like Spurlock in the Region. Most team invite Carter to shoot a 3.  Both have a good basketball IQ. Based off stats and play.  Spurlock edges Carter as the complete best player. Stats don't have an opinion. They are just facts that are not disputable. KHSAA website doesn't keep assist. So, I don't know what they have in that category.
The most obvious daddy post one has ever seen.  Please for your son's sake get over yourself and swallow your pride and stupidity.  I will take the bait on one thing the reason this kid gets face guarded is because coach A and his playing calling or lack thereof.  Now lets talk about Ashland.  Carter this year is the best player on the team no doubt he will take the most shots.  I would bet that his shot he takes will be withing the offense and the shots the JS takes will be in daddy offenses or he will threaten or bully or whatever. This is called lack of team control thus leading to some transfer within BC program the last few years, who would blame them.  RD comes to APB and wins the region not to mention be accepted as an Ashlander and the same will be said about Smith this year and next.
(4 hours ago)HOOPFAN Wrote:

Ashland fan base and staff all have the same issue. They cheat and get caught and still try to justify.  Carter is a good player and no disrespect his play.  He is not the best player. Spurlock stats are better, head-to-head Spurlock is 3-1 this past season with game winning shots vs Carter. Over the season stats. Both rebounds and points per game are about the same. Shooting percentages goes to Spurlock. The range that Spurlock shoots the ball translates to the next level. No one gets face guarded like Spurlock in the Region. Most team invite Carter to shoot a 3.  Both have a good basketball IQ. Based off stats and play.  Spurlock edges Carter as the complete best player. Stats don't have an opinion. They are just facts that are not disputable. KHSAA website doesn't keep assist. So, I don't know what they have in that category.

Oscar led the nation in many statistical categories but didn't get drafted. Players that didn't start for Kentucky and had average stat lines have gone in the lottery. But who cares which of these two young men is "better"?

And no, not all or most of any fan base does anything the same, let alone cheat. Most never get on a forum or discuss high school sports past a few minutes before or after a game.

Hoopfan, I'm a casual long term contributor on here (272 posts in 14 years). I usually try to goof off and lighten situations but I'm going to be serious, at least for this post. I love the 16th region and I have taught and coached for over three decades in many of our schools. Let me clue you in on something, we don't have any bad school systems in our area. We are blessed. I'm not going to debate you because I believe you to be aloof and beyond reason and you appear to have true hate in your heart. I know you'll keep on and as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow you will reply to this post because it's just beyond you to let someone have the final say, but here goes anyway. I hope to goodness you are not the father or in any way related to this young man or the program. If you are then you are setting an awful example for the people in your life. Whenever I coached or had kids in high school I absolutely would never post on this forum or any other for that matter. It's just a bad look and unprofessional. Kids watch and listen. Chances are that none of the kids in either of these programs will make a living playing basketball. Life gives us all opportunity to shine. Don't mess that up because of hate or jealousy or whatever drives you. I don't know the Ashland coaching staff sans Ryan Bonner, who I know to be a top notch human being. If he has a coach on his staff that messed up he'll address it and be the first to own up to any issues and deal with any consequences. Let's have fun discussing sports as human beings and try to elevate all of our kids no matter which school they attend. Let the people that deal with these things sort it out and when the chips fall we all move on. If that means Ashland did nothing wrong, so be it, if that means that Ashland did something wrong and all sports have to cease and desist , so be it. Nothing you say on here is going to influence that one way or the other, take the highroad....