Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garrard County 35 Somerset 28
Final.
Nice! Congrats Golden Lions!
I have a good number of friends associated with the Garrard football program and I'll be honest, they have not had a good season. I don't know how in the world they won this one but I'm glad they did.
Somerset is not very good. Losing to Knox Central, Barley beating Russell County and now Losing to Garrard County. They need another playmaker besides Kris Hughes. They also lack speed.
I watched this one on stream. GC was up 21-0 within the first 5 mins of the game due to picking off SHS twice (the second interception was particularly bad). It was eventually 28-28 in the 4th when GC hit a prayer deep ball on 4th and forever for a TD. SHS had a chance to tie but had an incomplete pass in the end zone on 4th down to seal their fate.

If they play this game 10 times, I’d say SHS wins more than they lose, but you can’t give up 3 free TDs to start a game and expect good things to happen. I read this is the first time GC has ever beaten SHS. Congrats to the Lions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes PurelyASpectator's post:
  • Bull got out!
First Garrard win over the bunnies EVER?!? Wow. If memory serves, these two have even been district foes a few times over the decades…

Congrats to the Golden Lions!
Congrats lions!
Somerset is not as good as previously advertised by media. I think those in the know knew that Somerset would have it's struggles with the offensive line but not to the point of losing the last two games. Our defense is the strong point but our dB's keep getting exposed, Garrard's last TD simply should not have happened...4th and 37 with the defense playing prevent and still yet we let a player get behind us. The offense struggles but will get better once the other Lewis brother gets healthy.
This one fooled me but congratulations to Garrard County
[-] The following 1 user Likes Patriot1's post:
  • jumper1
And people online were saying PC and SW didn’t want none of Somerset.. this is an awful loss.
Knox was an awful loss too
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Waitaminute
Somerset have injuries? I don't mean to take anything away from GC, but this isn't mathing in my head considering Somerset beat Perry Central 48-7 and GC only beat Middlesboro by a TD.
Congratulations to Garrard County.
Another blown call on the last play cost Somerset the opportunity to tie the game. Somerset receiver clearly caught the ball for the TD, picture shows possession and foot down well within the out of bounds boundary.
(09-16-2024, 04:25 PM)jumper1 Wrote: Another blown call on the last play cost Somerset the opportunity to tie the game. Somerset receiver clearly caught the ball for the TD, picture shows possession and foot down well within the out of bounds boundary.
I wasn't there to comment on how it looked live. But here's the pic that I saw posted:

Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 2 users Like Walt Longmire's post:
  • Bull got out!, TheRampageRooster
(09-14-2024, 06:06 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: And people online were saying PC and SW didn’t want none of Somerset.. this is an awful loss.
Every year, most every team has awful losses. I’m unsure which school you’re rooting for here but this year, Southwestern is 0-3. PC is easily the top dog at 2-1 

But if I recall, Southwestern took an L against a bad Knox Central team a few years ago, and then beat a good PC team. 

Hell, PC took it on the chin last year to a bad Madison Central team. 

if you’re a southwestern fan, look in the mirror this year. If you’re a Pulaski fan, beat Southwestern before you post about Somerset. 

Funny, these fans weren’t chrirping about wanting any of Somerset in 2018-2019 or last year. Once they feel great, they rage out of the wood work. 

Do better and brag somewhere else.
(09-17-2024, 02:22 PM)Walt Longmire Wrote:
(09-16-2024, 04:25 PM)jumper1 Wrote: Another blown call on the last play cost Somerset the opportunity to tie the game. Somerset receiver clearly caught the ball for the TD, picture shows possession and foot down well within the out of bounds boundary.
I wasn't there to comment on how it looked live. But here's the pic that I saw posted:

TOUCHDOWN!!!! All Day Long!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • TheRampageRooster
(09-17-2024, 02:53 PM)DangerMouse Wrote:
(09-14-2024, 06:06 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: And people online were saying PC and SW didn’t want none of Somerset.. this is an awful loss.
Every year, most every team has awful losses. I’m unsure which school you’re rooting for here but this year, Southwestern is 0-3. PC is easily the top dog at 2-1 

But if I recall, Southwestern took an L against a bad Knox Central team a few years ago, and then beat a good PC team. 

Hell, PC took it on the chin last year to a bad Madison Central team. 

if you’re a southwestern fan, look in the mirror this year. If you’re a Pulaski fan, beat Southwestern before you post about Somerset. 

Funny, these fans weren’t chrirping about wanting any of Somerset in 2018-2019 or last year. Once they feel great, they rage out of the wood work. 

Do better and brag somewhere else.

I'm not rooting for any of them. I just know a few weeks ago I was reading Somerset fans calling out PC saying they wanted them on the schedule. You're talking about no one wanting Somerset 6 years ago?? Get with the times. A loss to Knox Central, a loss to Garrard, and an OT win over Russell County is a terrible last three games. Southwestern is down this year too, and Pulaski seems to be reaping the benefits of the other two schools in the town sucking.
Makes sense. Pc FaN ^

I watched them drive up here when Lincoln was bad and kick their tails. Beats no one, brags about how good they are. Then talks smack about Somerset and Southwestern because the chest is out because it feels good to them.

Easy to find a mile away. Its a recipe that never fails.
Everyone can talk all the smack they want to about the Bunnies. They will be playing football on weeks 13-15 when the other Pulaski schools are playing basketball. Mark it down. They will be very good in 6 more weeks.
They just better hope they beat Breathitt and finish first in that district. If not they’ll get clock ran second round at Beechwood. Being paired with a weak sister district is what they have going for them.

(09-17-2024, 05:10 PM)DangerMouse Wrote: Makes sense. Pc FaN ^

I watched them drive up here when Lincoln was bad and kick their tails. Beats no one, brags about how good they are. Then talks smack about Somerset and Southwestern because the chest is out because it feels good to them.

I can objectively look and see which teams it’s trending up for and which it’s down for. Somerset is about to be 2-3 with a pretty weak schedule to start the year with. Campbellsville may run clock.
(09-17-2024, 10:47 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: They just better hope they beat Breathitt and finish first in that district. If not they’ll get clock ran second round at Beechwood. Being paired with a weak sister district is what they have going for them.

I can objectively look and see which teams it’s trending up for and which it’s down for. Somerset is about to be 2-3 with a pretty weak schedule to start the year with. Campbellsville may run clock.
At the end of the day I know for a fact PC wants Somerset on their schedule every year just like old times no matter what talent they have. It was a great game to look forward to for the community. And now calling it like I see it, ever since PC during the mid-late Hines era started a winning trend that game has been crickets. Then all that’s left is both teams talkin smack, but I think the whole county knows the programs have flipped positions since their start. Respectively.
[-] The following 1 user Likes M00sejaw64's post:
  • Waitaminute
(09-18-2024, 11:35 AM)M00sejaw64 Wrote:
(09-17-2024, 10:47 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: They just better hope they beat Breathitt and finish first in that district. If not they’ll get clock ran second round at Beechwood. Being paired with a weak sister district is what they have going for them.

At the end of the day I know for a fact PC wants Somerset on their schedule every year just like old times no matter what talent they have. It was a great game to look forward to for the community. And now calling it like I see it, ever since PC during the mid-late Hines era started a winning trend that game has been crickets. Then all that’s left is both teams talkin smack, but I think the whole county knows the programs have flipped positions since their start. Respectively.

That's probably a little premature. Pulaski seems to be back on the rise and there is excitement around the program. That said, they were 4-8 last year while Somerset made the semi-finals, and Somerset also has the more recent title. Looking at this season alone it definitely appears that Pulaski is the better team, but we're talking about a 2-1 and 2-2 team.

Regardless, I wish they would all get these series going again. It's easy to say whenever your team is top dog that the reason the series isn't played is because the other side is scared, but in reality it all started with contract disputes and for some reason they still have never (or have never attempted) to figure it out. Basically Somerset wanted to keep the Correll Bowl where the games would always be at Somerset (due to capacity IIRC, parking about 2x and seating about 3x at Somerset v. Pulaski/SW), but Pulaski and Southwestern wanted it to rotate.

I think all schools will continue to improve if they can hold onto their coaches. Having three young quality coaches in the same town should elevate the level of play in the entire area.
I saw was Somerset took a beating on it according tne KHSAA website where the last game was all PC like 56-0.

But I’d like to hear all the sides. Curiosity kills this cat. And I don’t really want speculation, I want facts. Someone should start that thread.
(09-18-2024, 03:36 PM)Shogun Wrote:

That's probably a little premature. Pulaski seems to be back on the rise and there is excitement around the program. That said, they were 4-8 last year while Somerset made the semi-finals, and Somerset also has the more recent title. Looking at this season alone it definitely appears that Pulaski is the better team, but we're talking about a 2-1 and 2-2 team.

Regardless, I wish they would all get these series going again. It's easy to say whenever your team is top dog that the reason the series isn't played is because the other side is scared, but in reality it all started with contract disputes and for some reason they still have never (or have never attempted) to figure it out. Basically Somerset wanted to keep the Correll Bowl where the games would always be at Somerset (due to capacity IIRC, parking about 2x and seating about 3x at Somerset v. Pulaski/SW), but Pulaski and Southwestern wanted it to rotate.

I think all schools will continue to improve if they can hold onto their coaches. Having three young quality coaches in the same town should elevate the level of play in the entire area.
I agree with the last two paragraphs. However, comparing win-loss records has no indication of head to head matchup quality of those teams. Somerset wins 3 games with PCs schedule last year and wins 1 game with southwesterns (maybe). With SHS schedule PC/Southwestern goes undefeated regular season losing to owensboro cath in the semis or whatever that game was in playoffs. Just doesn’t make sense to compare program success with totally uneven schedules, never has.
I get it now.

pC rULeZ. EvErYBodY eLSe dROoLz.

No one from Pulaski wants to brag on their team but they sure love to live in the land of unearned glory while thinking they own Lake Cumberland lol.

Not once has a smart interjection been made by these two folks.

Just SOmerSet sUx.

Beat when they finally beat Southwestern this year, I can’t wait to hear how far they’ve come and how far Southwestern has fallen.

But they won’t. They’ll just brag about how they are superior to them guys in purple.

Laughable.
(09-18-2024, 05:35 PM)DangerMouse Wrote: I get it now.

pC rULeZ. EvErYBodY eLSe dROoLz.

No one from Pulaski wants to brag on their team but they sure love to live in the land of unearned glory while thinking they own Lake Cumberland lol.

Not once has a smart interjection been made by these two folks.

Just SOmerSet sUx.

Beat when they finally beat Southwestern this year, I can’t wait to hear how far they’ve come and how far Southwestern has fallen.

But they won’t. They’ll just brag about how they are superior to them guys in purple.

Laughable.
What’s it like to be smart DangerMouse?

I’m not making a knock at any of the local programs, the tides come and go. PC has a good tide for the next few years, but even when they don’t they would like to play both schools that are just miles apart it. It makes for an extra 2 home games for either school. 

Do schedules not make a difference with the win-loss column comparison? Or am I just out in left field on this one? 

I hope your team wins its next game, cheer up. You’re going to be ok..
Not even close to what you eluded to, but at least you finally said something intelligent.

LC will likely win. Be 5-0 and I’ll be happier that I do not have to worry about much more than that. Then we face Somerset, I’ll await the how bad that loss was post.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DangerMouse's post:
  • M00sejaw64
(09-18-2024, 04:20 PM)M00sejaw64 Wrote:

I agree with the last two paragraphs. However, comparing win-loss records has no indication of head to head matchup quality of those teams. Somerset wins 3 games with PCs schedule last year and wins 1 game with southwesterns (maybe). With SHS schedule PC/Southwestern goes undefeated regular season losing to owensboro cath in the semis or whatever that game was in playoffs. Just doesn’t make sense to compare program success with totally uneven schedules, never has.

I know you're trying to down Somerset.  But Somerset does better than 1 game playing Southwestern's schedule and 3 games playing Pulaski's.  You said "maybe" Somerset could win one game vs. Southwestern's schedule.  You don't think they beat South Laurel, who lost to a 1-10 Harlan County?  Oh, and Southwestern also played Harlan County.  Or an 0-11 Henry Clay team that was outscored 433-67?  Southwestern also played a 2-9 East Jessamine team.  Mercer County wouldn't necessarily be favored in a matchup with Somerset either.  Mercer beat Danville and Lincoln County by less that Somerset did.  The only for sure losses for Somerset on Southwestern's schedule would have been South Warren, Ballard, Cooper, and Franklin County.  If they play Pulaski's schedule they're beating at least Harlan County, Danville, South Laurel, West Jessamine, and most likely North Laurel as well. Those games against GRC and Madison Central would not be for sure losses either.  And Campbellsville, who beat Somerset by 7, played Pikeville to a 7 point game.  That would put that game in question as well.  And since Pikeville beat Belfry by 19, you could add Belfry as a game that Somerset would have had a chance to win.  
Southwestern might very well have went 10-0 vs Somerset's schedule.  But Pulaski wouldn't have been favored vs. Campbellsville, and could have lost to Perry County Central and Glasgow as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Walt Longmire's post:
  • TheRampageRooster
(09-19-2024, 12:35 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote:
(09-18-2024, 04:20 PM)M00sejaw64 Wrote:

I know you're trying to down Somerset.  But Somerset does better than 1 game playing Southwestern's schedule and 3 games playing Pulaski's.  You said "maybe" Somerset could win one game vs. Southwestern's schedule.  You don't think they beat South Laurel, who lost to a 1-10 Harlan County?  Oh, and Southwestern also played Harlan County.  Or an 0-11 Henry Clay team that was outscored 433-67?  Southwestern also played a 2-9 East Jessamine team.  Mercer County wouldn't necessarily be favored in a matchup with Somerset either.  Mercer beat Danville and Lincoln County by less that Somerset did.  The only for sure losses for Somerset on Southwestern's schedule would have been South Warren, Ballard, Cooper, and Franklin County.  If they play Pulaski's schedule they're beating at least Harlan County, Danville, South Laurel, West Jessamine, and most likely North Laurel as well. Those games against GRC and Madison Central would not be for sure losses either.  And Campbellsville, who beat Somerset by 7, played Pikeville to a 7 point game.  That would put that game in question as well.  And since Pikeville beat Belfry by 19, you could add Belfry as a game that Somerset would have had a chance to win.  
Southwestern might very well have went 10-0 vs Somerset's schedule.  But Pulaski wouldn't have been favored vs. Campbellsville, and could have lost to Perry County Central and Glasgow as well.
Nice. A lot of wishful thinking there, and that’s all its ever going to be until these teams get back to playing each other year in and year out. Hopefully with the new coaches they can work that out starting next season. 
I don’t down Somerset, I like them. I just want to see them play the better schools and really test their team strength. I think its the only thing that helps them come 3rd 4th round of playoffs.