Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floyd Central, Knott County Central, Martin County, Prestonsburg
(05-21-2024, 05:53 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I believe you definitely have some trying to do what it takes. There’s a group of about a dozen boys that will show up and work their tales off any time they have a chance and that number is slowly growing.

The only way this works is by hiring likable coaches who demand respect without pushing kids away. I think Hager is GREAT with the players and so is this staff. I don’t believe basing your opinions solely on their middle school coaching success carries much weight. 

Hager has been on the sidelines his entire life. He’s seen the ups and downs. He’s lived this. Therefore, I’m not concerned about his abilities to get the job done. He’s young, very likable, passionate, and relatable to the players. That goes a really long way when you want to build up a good program. 

As for his assistants, every one of those guys are Blackcat greats! They know what winning at Prestonsburg looks like and takes. I’m sure they all will have a learning curve, but these guys want to be here and want to be apart of getting this program back to where it belongs.

Like I’ve said already, this program is going to be fine. 

Go Blackcats!
When Pburg is 2-6 going into the Knott county game, you’ll see the truth of what’s going on here. Pburg missed out on the best options and took someone they could control. 

The legends you speak of are useless as coaches. Two of them quit on the previous staff because of the ability level of the players.
(05-21-2024, 06:25 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Martin County probably has one of the best unknown football players in all of the mountains in Devan Maynard.

Has a D1 body and can play multiple positions. Would likely be a tight end in college.
You probably will see a bunch more of Devan this year. He is one of the most athletic kids I've ever been around
[-] The following 1 user Likes TE#82's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(05-21-2024, 06:34 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
(05-21-2024, 05:53 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I believe you definitely have some trying to do what it takes. There’s a group of about a dozen boys that will show up and work their tales off any time they have a chance and that number is slowly growing.

The only way this works is by hiring likable coaches who demand respect without pushing kids away. I think Hager is GREAT with the players and so is this staff. I don’t believe basing your opinions solely on their middle school coaching success carries much weight. 

Hager has been on the sidelines his entire life. He’s seen the ups and downs. He’s lived this. Therefore, I’m not concerned about his abilities to get the job done. He’s young, very likable, passionate, and relatable to the players. That goes a really long way when you want to build up a good program. 

As for his assistants, every one of those guys are Blackcat greats! They know what winning at Prestonsburg looks like and takes. I’m sure they all will have a learning curve, but these guys want to be here and want to be apart of getting this program back to where it belongs.

Go Blackcats!
When Pburg is 2-6 going into the Knott county game, you’ll see the truth of what’s going on here. Pburg missed out on the best options and took someone they could control. 

The legends you speak of are useless as coaches. Two of them quit on the previous staff because of the ability level of the players.
We will just have to agree to disagree.
(05-21-2024, 07:31 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(05-21-2024, 06:34 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:

Go Blackcats!

We will just have to agree to disagree.
If u guys win 4 or 5 games thus year u better chalk that up as a good 1st season. U sir are the problem with p burg football. U guys are starting at the bottom. It takes time
[-] The following 1 user Likes TE#82's post:
  • Atavus
Who are these legends that have been spoke of as assistant coaches? IMO, Matt Slone would be the only one that would check that box, and I don't think he has been very involved up to this point due to his health. On a more serious note, Hager isn't going to perform a miracle during his first year. There is talent, but there is also a lot of youth and the key will be implementing his system and bringing stability to the program. I hope Hager isn't going to allow outside influences such as boosters and parents to control his program, if so it will be doomed before it ever gets started. He needs a solid support system around him who will give him guidance on how to handle certain people around the program. As I have said before, lets give Hager a chance and support him, if not it's only going to set our program back even more. Hail Blackcats!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(05-22-2024, 09:40 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: Who are these legends that have been spoke of as assistant coaches? IMO, Matt Slone would be the only one that would check that box, and I don't think he has been very involved up to this point due to his health. On a more serious note, Hager isn't going to perform a miracle during his first year. There is talent, but there is also a lot of youth and the key will be implementing his system and bringing stability to the program. I hope Hager isn't going to allow outside influences such as boosters and parents to control his program, if so it will be doomed before it ever gets started. He needs a solid support system around him who will give him guidance on how to handle certain people around the program. As I have said before, lets give Hager a chance and support him, if not it's only going to set our program back even more. Hail Blackcats!
Amen brother. I hope when boosters or parents start complaining he tells the to go kick rocks. I know from experience wesley is a damn good ball coach
Bump
Prestonsburg will “JET” the heck out of Elliott, lose a kid with the initials CL to Betsy Layne, and they will struggle defensively.

With saying “Pburg will be fine” is the same as saying, “we are not going to be very good, but we still have to hold our head high”
[-] The following 1 user Likes papabear02's post:
  • Concerned_Blackcat
(06-03-2024, 10:13 PM)papabear02 Wrote: Prestonsburg will “JET” the heck out of Elliott, lose a kid with the initials CL to Betsy Layne, and they will struggle defensively. 

With saying “Pburg will be fine” is the same as saying, “we are not going to be very good, but we still have to hold our head high”
This might be worse than I thought…CL leaves and there’s very little talent up front.
Laferty was at practice today

I've heard his father was offered a position on the Betsy Layne baseball coaching staff and I've heard his father wants him to transfer. That puts the kid in a tough spot. I hope that he doesn't. He's embraced being a Blackcat since he first enrolled and has become one of if not the most popular guy on the team. So losing him hurts in more ways than one IF he does decide to transfer.
(06-04-2024, 03:02 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Laferty was at practice today

I've heard his father was offered a position on the Betsy Layne baseball coaching staff and I've heard his father wants him to transfer. That puts the kid in a tough spot. I hope that he doesn't. He's embraced being a Blackcat since he first enrolled and has become one of if not the most popular guy on the team. So losing him hurts in more ways than one IF he does decide to transfer.
I thought the reason he came to Prestonsburg was because his father was offered a coaching job on the baseball team. Did he ever coach, or no longer coaching? I didn't see Laferty in the line up during the regional tournament. Did he not play baseball? Regardless, if he leaves this is another kid who has been to three different schools in three years. It looks as if he isn't the problem, but it's a parent issue. He seems like a good kid and as you said, a leader on the team. If I'm the parent I let the kid make the decision due to it being his senior year, but if he leaves he is only doing what most kids do and that's being loyal to their parents. 

I have come to the realization that this could be a down year for Prestonsburg, regardless is Laferty transfers or not. The thing I like with Hager is he is starting to weed some of the problems out from last years team, and he is building his program from the bottom up. It all starts with discipline and respect and if you don't have that, you don't have anything. Weeding some of the problems out, may affect the short term success, but it's going to help build a much stronger program for the future. 

I know there has been some complaints about the assistant coaches, and I'm not thrilled to say the least, but we have to give them a chance. We've got to be positive and realistic this year, because Hager isn't going to turn us into a regional contender overnight. If he can keep all of the kids in the feeder system intact, and continue to build on a solid freshman and sophomore class, then we will start seeing the payoff as early as next year. Hail Blackcats!
  • BlackcatAlum
(06-04-2024, 08:50 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote:
(06-04-2024, 03:02 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Laferty was at practice today

I thought the reason he came to Prestonsburg was because his father was offered a coaching job on the baseball team. Did he ever coach, or no longer coaching? I didn't see Laferty in the line up during the regional tournament. Did he not play baseball? Regardless, if he leaves this is another kid who has been to three different schools in three years. It looks as if he isn't the problem, but it's a parent issue. He seems like a good kid and as you said, a leader on the team. If I'm the parent I let the kid make the decision due to it being his senior year, but if he leaves he is only doing what most kids do and that's being loyal to their parents. 

I have come to the realization that this could be a down year for Prestonsburg, regardless is Laferty transfers or not. The thing I like with Hager is he is starting to weed some of the problems out from last years team, and he is building his program from the bottom up. It all starts with discipline and respect and if you don't have that, you don't have anything. Weeding some of the problems out, may affect the short term success, but it's going to help build a much stronger program for the future. 

I know there has been some complaints about the assistant coaches, and I'm not thrilled to say the least, but we have to give them a chance. We've got to be positive and realistic this year, because Hager isn't going to turn us into a regional contender overnight. If he can keep all of the kids in the feeder system intact, and continue to build on a solid freshman and sophomore class, then we will start seeing the payoff as early as next year. Hail Blackcats!
Last year this team was 5-6 with very little senior contribution outside of the running back. How big of a step back do you expect?? Trying to prepare myself for this fall.
I don't know if we will take a step back, but I don't see much of an improvement on our overall record. I felt like last year was a down year, especially after we hit a wall coming down the stretch. We lost a couple of starters outside of those seniors to the transfer portal, and if we lose Laferty, our line is going to be in trouble. We have the skill kids to compete, and I like our QB, but we all know, you better have the big boys up front who can play. There is some talented underclassmen lineman, but that's a lot to ask for them to step up and compete at a high level early on. I believe we are a year away from being the favorite to win the district.
  • BlackcatAlum
The only consistency in Pburg right now is the carousel of coaches program wide.
(06-04-2024, 03:23 PM)papabear02 Wrote: The only consistency in Pburg right now is the carousel of coaches program wide.
Yep, another program going through a coaching change. Makes one wonder.

Go Blackcats!
So you’re calling guys like Adam Dixon Blackcat greats? Matt Slone is the only assistant that would be considered a Blackcat great. The coaching staff is concerning to say the least. Hopefully Hager will find some experienced help that the players will like and respect, if not this ship will continue to sink.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Topcat74's post:
  • Concerned_Blackcat
Let's be honest with ourselves here...

You guys aren't interested in talking football or giving the team or this staff a chance. So why waste my time replying?

And just so you know: players, their friends, family members, etc read what gets posted on here and get asked about it or they're given a hard time about it. It's discouraging to the kids who bust their butts training and it's frustrating for the ones who actually are trying to help the program move forward.

It's sad at this point.
What type of offense has Hager implemented? Is there anyone standing out that we wouldn't expect?
(06-05-2024, 10:45 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: What type of offense has Hager implemented? Is there anyone standing out that we wouldn't expect?

Hager has been installing the “veer and shoot” offense most of the spring. There will be a mix of run and pass from under center and out of shotgun. 

Senior David Scott is the one standing out that many probably wouldn’t have predicted. He transferred in from Martin County last fall. He’s strong, has good speed, great work ethic, and I think he can have a big season for the Blackcats. You’ll see him likely lined up at TE on offense and on defense I’m guessing he’ll be used at OLB/DE.

There’s two incoming freshman that have had a great spring also. That’s Karston Johnson & Brody Hicks. Both will be playing a lot of varsity snaps this fall. Both kids are physically gifted.
I am hearing that it’s insane how much talent Martin Co has this year, especially skilled positions. If they can overcome the core they lost on the o-line they will be a tough out.
(06-05-2024, 12:48 PM)Cards98 Wrote: I am hearing that it’s insane how much talent Martin Co has this year, especially skilled positions. If they can overcome the core they lost on the o-line they will be a tough out.
They got a chance to be very good even with a young team. The line has a lot of holes to fill but the boys coming in that's replacing the graduating seniors have been together since youth football and are pretty big and very strong. If they can gel fast and especially by the end of the season going into the playoffs. They.might make a run at regional championship game again
I hear that they do have at least one solid veteran left with some established leadership on the line. Im hoping they can build a good unit together.
(06-05-2024, 03:01 PM)Cards98 Wrote: I hear that they do have at least one solid veteran left with  some established leadership on the line. Im hoping they can build a good unit together.
Yeah they have a really good right guard with a ton of experience that will be a senior. I hope those young boys listen and watch because he is a heck of a leader for the o line.
1. Martin Co
2. Floyd Central 
3. Knott County 
4. Prestonsburg 

With Prestonsburg losing as of
known two players. Weston Harris and Logan Hall to Betsy Layne I see a struggling year for Hager. With more rumors of Lafferty also moving to BL I see the landscape at Prestonsburg being a ghost town. 

Knott County is Knott County. Your average below .500 team. I could see them scraping a .500 season this year. 

Floyd central will be returning the likes of Colt Shelton a power in the run game. A solid offensive line when healthy. I’m excited to see what they bring to the table offensively and defensively. 

With some tough holes to fill in the Martin Co offensive we will see what they can bring to the table. The loss of Tate Crum, Noah Mollette, and especially Bryson Wells. I believe this Martin Co team will fill all the holes and bring back a district championship.
(06-05-2024, 08:44 PM)PaleRider22 Wrote: 1. Martin Co
2. Floyd Central 
3. Knott County 
4. Prestonsburg 

With Prestonsburg losing as of
known two players. Weston Harris and Logan Hall to Betsy Layne I see a struggling year for Hager. With more rumors of Lafferty also moving to BL I see the landscape at Prestonsburg being a ghost town. 

Knott County is Knott County. Your average below .500 team. I could see them scraping a .500 season this year. 

Floyd central will be returning the likes of Colt Shelton a power in the run game. A solid offensive line when healthy. I’m excited to see what they bring to the table offensively and defensively. 

With some tough holes to fill in the Martin Co offensive we will see what they can bring to the table. The loss of Tate Crum, Noah Mollette, and especially Bryson Wells. I believe this Martin Co team will fill all the holes and bring back a district championship.
Pburg might be down but it’s ridiculous to believe they’ll lose to Knott.
I might be bias, but I don’t see Prestonsburg falling off that much if Laferty leaves. Don’t get me wrong, it’ll hurt. I don’t want to lose him, but it gives someone else an opportunity to step in, gain experience, and learn on the fly. May take a few weeks during the season to get some of the younger guys feet wet and comfortable on the line but it’ll pay off down the road. I just think Elliott, Harris, and Holbrook are too talented for Prestonsburg and you can lean on those guys to make big plays against really anyone on the schedule.
(06-05-2024, 11:33 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I might be bias, but I don’t see Prestonsburg falling off that much if Laferty leaves. Don’t get me wrong, it’ll hurt. I don’t want to lose him, but it gives someone else an opportunity to step in, gain experience, and learn on the fly. May take a few weeks during the season to get some of the younger guys feet wet and comfortable on the line but it’ll pay off down the road. I just think Elliott, Harris, and Holbrook are too talented for Prestonsburg and you can lean on those guys to make big plays against really anyone on the schedule.
Those three are incredibly talented but everyone knows football is won up front on both sides of the ball. If you think losing Lafferty won’t cause a drop off then you’re saying the rest of the line is so bad having one good lineman doesn’t help.
(06-06-2024, 12:19 AM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
(06-05-2024, 11:33 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I might be bias, but I don’t see Prestonsburg falling off that much if Laferty leaves. Don’t get me wrong, it’ll hurt. I don’t want to lose him, but it gives someone else an opportunity to step in, gain experience, and learn on the fly. May take a few weeks during the season to get some of the younger guys feet wet and comfortable on the line but it’ll pay off down the road. I just think Elliott, Harris, and Holbrook are too talented for Prestonsburg and you can lean on those guys to make big plays against really anyone on the schedule.
Those three are incredibly talented but everyone knows football is won up front on both sides of the ball. If you think losing Lafferty won’t cause a drop off then you’re saying the rest of the line is so bad having one good lineman doesn’t help.
I said I don’t see Pburg falling off that much. Losing Laferty is going to hurt. There’s not another player on that roster that can replace what he brings to the table as far as strength and physicality goes. Junior Daniel Adams is very capable. He’s bigger than Cole, but he’s not as aggressive just yet. That could change. Sophomore Noah Price might be the one closest to reminding you of Laferty. Naturally strong, quick first step, and aggressive. He’s just about 40-50 lbs smaller. Freshman Karston Johnson, Cayden Reynolds, and Rylan Stephens each have size and strength that you like to see in your linemen. You just worry about them being freshman. If those boys can get over that hump then they’re more than capable of holding their own on Friday nights. Biggest concern on the line though aside from inexperience is depth. There won’t be many teams that Prestonsburg is going to be bigger than. That’s why this team needs to adopt the mentality of some past Pburg teams that had skill but lacked size and be aggressive, tackle well, and force turnovers.
I have to disagree with you on this. If Laferty leaves, it is a major blow to an already inexperienced line. If any of those freshman are relied on as starters, we are in trouble. These boys are going to be very good lineman in time, but to say the fall off wouldn't be that much is insane. I don't have an issue with getting their feet wet by getting reps in back up roles, but to expect them to step in and hold their own as starters is crazy. You may get by with it when you play the likes of Knott, Lewis, and East Ridge, but when you are playing solid football teams it's not an idle situation to be in. If Laferty leaves, then you play the next man up, I get that but don't sugarcoat things and act like these young kids are going to step in and not miss a beat. There is nothing more I would rather see than these freshman to come in and be studs, but I just don't that's realistic at this time. I hope I am wrong for the sake of the team, if they are put in this situation.
I’m going to have to say from what I saw on the field in the BL games Lafferty struggled. He simply could not get around that big front of the BL team. He was lined up on the right guard Nick Thacker most of the game. From what I saw the experience and size of Thacker wore him out. Even with Thacker pulling 40% of the plays right tackle Hamilton was making him know about it too.