Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Luke Salmons named Corbin Head Coach
(05-30-2024, 12:17 AM)Cowboy42 Wrote:
(05-30-2024, 12:08 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: Corbin about to get a big dose of that Steve Jewell offense lol
At least the players will be in shape to play both ways…

I’ll give you that. I knew several that said he had no trouble making sure they were in shape
Kids had to play both ways under Jewell because not enough kids would come out to play for him.
Are we absolutely certain that Coach Luke isn't actually Steve Jewell? They look eerily like the same person. Maybe this is Jewell's way of returning as head coach, at least vicariously.  What a sick, sick town !!!!

[Image: https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews....image.jpg]

[Image: https://wvmetronews.com/wp-content/uploa...m-7136.jpg]
All you Colonels in Corbin come back to Goldbug Smile
I really dont know why Salmons would take this job. Its really a step down from CM. CM has a very supportive administration and community. Big numbers out every year and one of the top teams in WV.
[-] The following 3 users Like Upnorth's post:
  • Bull got out!, HighViz, Westside
(05-30-2024, 06:59 AM)Upnorth Wrote: I really dont know why Salmons would take this job. Its really a step down from CM. CM has a very supportive administration and community. Big numbers out every year and one of the top teams in WV.

I honestly was thinking the same thing. Every time I heard about this and thought about it, I said, no way he is coming to Corbin this late in game and the fact of what he is leaving there.
(05-30-2024, 06:25 AM)pjdoug Wrote: All you Colonels in Corbin come back to Goldbug Smile
When baseball is over Goldbug better put a team of security together to keep one particular Colonel from moving to the big C… Words out the C wants Whitley best player….
I’m so confused. Didn’t Haddix turn the job down? I’m really not sure how the BOE or Principal can be blamed for hiring a quality HC, after the fan favorite turned the job down.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ArmChairHC's post:
  • Jack Lambert
(05-30-2024, 08:40 AM)Cowboy42 Wrote:
(05-30-2024, 06:25 AM)pjdoug Wrote: All you Colonels in Corbin come back to Goldbug Smile
When baseball is over Goldbug better put a team of security together to keep one particular Colonel from moving to the big C… Words out the C wants Whitley best player….

Might as well go ahead and pop the name out there. Let it fly baby
(05-30-2024, 10:24 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote:

I’m sure it’s Dee Parker.
(05-30-2024, 06:59 AM)Upnorth Wrote: I really dont know why Salmons would take this job. Its really a step down from CM. CM has a very supportive administration and community. Big numbers out every year and one of the top teams in WV.

He said he prayed about it and God told him to move to Corbin.  Come on, now coach, $$greenbacks$$ spoke to you, not God.  In stead of reaching out to God, Coach Luke should have reached out to Old School.  I was conceived in the back of a '58 Mercury in the parking lot of the old Town House Motel downtown many, many decades ago. I hung out with and smoked doobies with some of the very same criminals he has chosen to work with here in Corbin. God has never set foot in Corbin. I have walked the banks of Lynn Camp creek all of my Godforsaken life.  Big mistake not calling me first, coach.

I'm hearing that Corbin is looking for an influx of talent from local schools, plus some of Cabell Midland's best. Gonna be a helluva third round slobberknocker between Corbin and Boyle in mid November at Campbell Field. Buckle up, hosses!!!
Coach Salmons seems to possess a very resilient constitution. He seems to face adversity well and bounces back from it with tremendous fortitude and determination. In his first year at Lawrence County, his team went winless at 0-11. The very next season he led them to a 12-1 campaign. One of the greatest turnarounds in KHSAA history.

In 2022, Salmons was dealt two horrific blows. One of his 17 year-old senior players was hit and killed by a Jeep on I-64 near his high school. Coach Salmons said he was devastated by the loss of the kid. During the summer of the same year, one of Salmons former star players suffered brain damage in a freak falling accident. Midland had a down year, by their standards, finishing 6-4, and you can imagine why. How did Salmons' team respond in 2023? His Knights finished with just two losses and won their conference. Salmons was named Mountain State Athletic Conference Coach of the Year in '23.

The man is resilient...
Took less than 24 hours to get on board lol
[-] The following 2 users Like RunItUpTheGut's post:
  • BEChargers, pjdoug
(05-30-2024, 11:43 AM)Waitaminute Wrote:
(05-30-2024, 10:24 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote:

I’m sure it’s Dee Parker.

Good kid. I’ll root for him no matter where he ends up. He’s been good for Whitley. I wish they had the pieces to put around him on the field. Without a big splash hire in this day and age (and a little bit of Tim Short money) it’s definitely hard to compete.
(05-30-2024, 07:38 PM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: Took less than 24 hours to get on board lol

If you are speaking to me, I will support the new coach but I will never support the Good Ol' Boy, nepotistic, you scratch mine I'll scratch yours , daddy ball, varsity club meddling , archaic ways of doing things that has Corbin mired in a 42 year championship drought. Yes, I'm a bit bummed that they couldn't make Haddix a Redhound again, like he very much wants to be. Jewell didn't want it to happen because of personal disdain for the Breathitt County Boy Wonder. Jewell, who might have all of five friends in Corbin(if he's lucky), should move to Antarctica, where he would , undoubtedly, be just as unpopular.
salmons is a good hire yall are miserable
[-] The following 1 user Likes Khalisimo's post:
  • jetpilot
If there was any question about whether Justin Haddix would ever be back as coach, this effectively put an end to it….Its not Coach Salmons fault and if the circumstances where different I’m sure all the Corbin faithful would be elated at his hire….All that being said it is what it is and I’d like to welcome Coach Luke Salmons to Corbin hopefully he can be as successful as Haddix without making a bunch of grown men jealous and being ran off to win somewhere else too….
[-] The following 1 user Likes TD Hounds's post:
  • Old School 18
(05-30-2024, 10:47 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: If there was any question about whether Justin Haddix would ever be back as coach, this effectively put an end to it….Its not Coach Salmons fault and if the circumstances where different I’m sure all the Corbin faithful would be elated at his hire….All that being said it is what it is and I’d like to welcome Coach Luke Salmons to Corbin hopefully he can be as successful as Haddix without making a bunch of grown men jealous and being ran off to win somewhere else too….

I agree he's a good coach but  don't you think he'll just be a puppet of the Old Guard( Cox, Jewell, Hart, Greer, Foley, Cleary, etc...)  Nothing's gonna change until those people die off.

[Image: https://bluegrasspreps.com/uploads/attac...058ec8.jpg]
(05-30-2024, 10:07 PM)Khalisimo Wrote: salmons is a good hire yall are miserable

LOL you are correct as usual. I think Corbin fans will love Salmons.
I don't think any of us Hounds have a thing against Coach Luke. As a stand alone proposition, he's a good hire. What many of us know is that Haddix made it known he was interested in coming back and winning titles here. He was kept from doing so by Jewell , Tomcat, Stevie Boy and the other incorrigibles. I fear that Coach Luke has made a deal with the devils.

Question: Do any of you have a problem with a coach that leaves his team in June to take another job?
(05-30-2024, 11:47 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I don't think any of us Hounds have a thing against Coach Luke. As a stand alone proposition, he's a good hire. What many of us know is that Haddix made it known he was interested in coming back and winning titles here. He was kept from doing so by Jewell , Tomcat,  Stevie Boy and the other incorrigibles.  I fear that Coach Luke has made a deal with the devils.

Question: Do any of you have a problem with a coach that leaves his team in June to take another job?

Well, I honestly didn't think Salmons would come this late in the season. I also don't know much about the program where he came from other than what we can research online. He seemed to be well liked and his record speaks for itself. He no doubt knows the game. Lots of unknowns for me to be able to give a real good opinion. I am going to have to see some of the opponents on the schedule like a road game against Johnson Central, or a 3rd round game against any of the gauntlet 4A teams to see really what he is made of. The regular season has one team being Frederick Douglass on the road that will also tell a lot about defense and offense type of decision making. That is what I will see for myself before I can make a honest assessment. As far as some of his interviews I have watched online. He passed with flying colors but to be fair, most do. The xs and os part of it is what I want to see. I don't understand why any coach would decide to leave his team when you have been with the program for a while and that program is in the hunt for a title. That I honestly was shocked at. So that also tells me there may be more to this part of the equation. Maybe the best offer he couldn't refuse and maybe he just didn't want to be in West Virginia any longer. I see people make some on the fly decisions this day in time and some do work out. I'll be checking out his game film but not against the easy teams, that won't tell you much. The big games are where you find out who is who.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • BEChargers
(05-31-2024, 05:01 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(05-30-2024, 11:47 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I don't think any of us Hounds have a thing against Coach Luke. As a stand alone proposition, he's a good hire. What many of us know is that Haddix made it known he was interested in coming back and winning titles here. He was kept from doing so by Jewell , Tomcat,  Stevie Boy and the other incorrigibles.  I fear that Coach Luke has made a deal with the devils.

Well, I honestly didn't think Salmons would come this late in the season. I also don't know much about the program where he came from other than what we can research online. He seemed to be well liked and his record speaks for itself. He no doubt knows the game. Lots of unknowns for me to be able to give a real good opinion. I am going to have to see some of the opponents on the schedule like a road game against Johnson Central, or a 3rd round game against any of the gauntlet 4A teams to see really what he is made of. The regular season has one team being Frederick Douglass on the road that will also tell a lot about defense and offense type of decision making. That is what I will see for myself before I can make a honest assessment. As far as some of his interviews I have watched online. He passed with flying colors but to be fair, most do. The xs and os part of it is what I want to see. I don't understand why any coach would decide to leave his team when you have been with the program for a while and that program is in the hunt for a title. That I honestly was shocked at. So that also tells me there may be more to this part of the equation. Maybe the best offer he couldn't refuse and maybe he just didn't want to be in West Virginia any longer. I see people make some on the fly decisions this day in time and some do work out. I'll be checking out his game film but not against the easy teams, that won't tell you much. The big games are where you find out who is who.

B-I-N-G-O !!!!
To any talented HS players from Ona, WV, I just want to reiterate that I have two spare bedrooms available for 2-4 players who might want to take up residence in beautiful Corbin, KY.  If you have D1 offers on the table, I'll throw in a sizeable weekly allowance. You will love Corbin and Corbin will love you(especially if you are over 6 ft , 260 lbs and white).

#54 is my favorite number in the world.   . Would be a lucky number for Corbin, too.   Cool

Will Corbin fans run him out of town after Pikeville smokes their hind end in his first game?
(06-01-2024, 01:17 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

Will Corbin fans run him out of town after Pikeville smokes their hind end in his first game?

You're sounding more and more like my cousin, Dougie, every day. Smile    Corbin's roster will look quite different in mid August than it does now. In fact, I'm hearing that they are contemplating a name change to the  Cabell Midland South Redhounds.  Cool
(06-01-2024, 01:25 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

You're sounding more and more like my cousin, Dougie, every day. Smile    Corbin's roster will look quite different in mid August than it does now. In fact, I'm hearing that they are contemplating a name change to the  Cabell Midland South Redhounds.  Cool
Won't be enough.
(06-01-2024, 01:31 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(06-01-2024, 01:25 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Won't be enough.
All kidding aside, what are you expecting in that one?  I'm looking for a good competitive game, featuring a strong Pikeville team , as usual. Corbin's roster is still in flux , with some new talent likely to be bought in, I mean brought in. I didn't say bought. I said brought. I DID NOT SAY BOUGHT!!!
No kidding, I expect Pikeville to win.
Corbin will beat pikeville. Elam and Eli will be the most talented players on the field even though Brenden Anthony will get his on both sides of the ball and Duty is as solid of a QB as u will get in eastern ky but ima still say corbin’s overall depth is too much and will be the difference maker.