Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floyd Central, Knott County Central, Martin County, Prestonsburg
https://khsaa.org/2023-approved-final-fo...g-seasons/

Class 2A District 7- Floyd Central, Knott County Central, Martin County, Prestonsburg

For fun who will finish where? Predictions and why?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Westside
1. Martin Co.
2. Prestonsburg
3. Floyd Central
4. Knott Central
I am very concerned about the future of blackcat football. 

Martin County 
Floyd Central 
Pburg 
Knott

I believe that the Blackcats finish third in the district this year and only win 2-3 games. The coaching staff is a huge concern. No experience and very little knowledge. 

I feel bad for the kids because there was a hope to use the Holbrook kid more but it seems as though the offense is trending more toward Martin County.
(05-16-2024, 08:01 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote: I am very concerned about the future of blackcat football. 

Martin County 
Floyd Central 
Pburg 
Knott

I believe that the Blackcats finish third in the district this year and only win 2-3 games. The coaching staff is a huge concern. No experience and very little knowledge. 

I feel bad for the kids because there was a hope to use the Holbrook kid more but it seems as though the offense is trending more toward Martin County.
I am afraid you may be right regarding both finishing third in the district and our coaching staff being a concern. I had high hopes on Hager putting together a quality staff, and the names that were floated around when he was first hired were experienced and knowledgeable people. Some of the coaches who are on the staff are headscratchers to say the least. Immaturity has been an issue from what I have heard. As far as the offensive scheme goes, Prestonsburg doesn't have the personal to run a smash mouth type of offense, and if Hager doesn't open up the offense it could be a long year. I'm just curious where Elliott fits in to this offensive scheme and how he will be utilized?
(05-17-2024, 10:13 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote:
(05-16-2024, 08:01 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote: I am very concerned about the future of blackcat football. 

Martin County 
Floyd Central 
Pburg 
Knott

I am afraid you may be right regarding both finishing third in the district and our coaching staff being a concern. I had high hopes on Hager putting together a quality staff, and the names that were floated around when he was first hired were experienced and knowledgeable people. Some of the coaches who are on the staff are headscratchers to say the least. Immaturity has been an issue from what I have heard. As far as the offensive scheme goes, Prestonsburg doesn't have the personal to run a smash mouth type of offense, and if Hager doesn't open up the offense it could be a long year. I'm just curious where Elliott fits in to this offensive scheme and how he will be utilized?
If they truly are utilizing the smash mouth approach they’re in for a long season. Talented QB and a great WR core but the weakness is up front. The wishbone and Power I formation requires a lot of the guys up front. That group hasn’t been coached well since the early 2010s at Prestonsburg and with a lack of size they won’t be able to overwhelm anyone. 

Elliott will not fit that style of offense well. He will either be underutilized or moved to the back field where he’s not at his best. 

I’ve also heard there’s a true QB battle coming this summer.
Prestonsburg is going to be fine
(05-17-2024, 05:23 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Prestonsburg is going to be fine
I love the optimism but it’s doubtful without transfers. Especially with the news of 2-3 players heading to BL following finals week.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Concerned_Blackcat's post:
  • Westside
(05-17-2024, 05:45 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
I love the optimism but it’s doubtful without transfers. Especially with the news of 2-3 players heading to BL following finals week.
Who other than Westin Harris?
(05-17-2024, 06:00 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
I didnt get names but a defensive linemen and a rising freshman running back. 

One of them has a mom that works up there.
(05-17-2024, 06:04 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:

Idk

I wish them well, if true. I know Harris did transfer to Betsy Layne. That’ll make the 3rd team for him in 4 years.

Prestonsburg is going to be fine either way. Line depth is the biggest concern. Skill talent is there. Players seem to be buying in with Hager and love the new staff.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Blue_Bird96
(05-17-2024, 06:27 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(05-17-2024, 06:04 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:

Idk

I wish them well, if true. I know Harris did transfer to Betsy Layne. That’ll make the 3rd team for him in 4 years.

Prestonsburg is going to be fine either way. Line depth is the biggest concern. Skill talent is there. Players seem to be buying in with Hager and love the new staff.
That’s good to hear. I hope the charisma can win ball games. The kids didn’t much care for anyone on the past staff and it showed. It wouldn’t have mattered if they knew ball or not. 

I just worry about the coaching ability when the charisma and charm wears off. Will they be able to make adjustments and get players ready to play? 

I know Hagar’s middle school teams never seemed to adjust or be prepared to win games when I saw them play. Nor did Matt Slone’s middle school teams at Adams. 

is there anyone of staff that has significant varsity experience that might improve my outlook?
IMO, this is the main problem with football in the mountains. Too many mommies and daddies exerting too much influence. The coaches need to be able to work with the youth and middle school coaches and develop a focus of fundamentals early, along with as much PT as possible for all players, not participation trophies, but still playing everyone in LL and then gradually increasing focus on the wins as they progress. The skill development and interest in will sort the players out naturally. Not everyone is a Joe Burrow or Jamarr Chase, etc.

If the HC is left alone and supported from the LL up and given some time, they can return several of these programs to relevance, which is best for all classes in EKy. Iron truly sharpens iron.
[-] The following 3 users Like PHSForever's post:
  • -STAT-, BlackcatAlum, waughdaddy59
Martin county
Pburg
Floyd central
Knott

Martin county did lose some seniors last year and a few core lineman. But don't be surprised if they are better. These young sophomores thats going to get to start on the line this year are probably the strongest lineman this school has had in a while.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TE#82's post:
  • Atavus
(05-17-2024, 06:50 PM)PHSForever Wrote: IMO, this is the main problem with football in the mountains. Too many mommies and daddies exerting too much influence. The coaches need to be able to work with the youth and middle school coaches and develop a focus of fundamentals early, along with as much PT as possible for all players, not participation trophies, but still playing everyone in LL and then gradually increasing focus on the wins as they progress. The skill development and interest in will sort the players out naturally. Not everyone is a Joe Burrow or Jamarr Chase, etc.

If the HC is left alone and supported from the LL up and given some time, they can return several of these programs to relevance, which is best for all classes in EKy. Iron truly sharpens iron.

The problem in Prestonsburg and I’m sure many other places is that there is no support. A lot of jealousy and pressure to play little Johnny even though he isn’t the best player for the job just because his great grandfather was good at football. If right kids aren’t playing the support goes away. 

If you take the approach of wins don’t matter when they’re young, the coaches get talked about like dogs. If you chase the wins when they’re young you stunt their growth as players. 

I’ve seen this town work for over 30 years and it only works when a coach is willing to stand up for their belief. We’ve already seen this HC back down from what he wanted to do on offense to what some of his assistants has coached in the past. Even though it doesn’t fit his players the best.
(05-20-2024, 05:14 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
(05-17-2024, 06:50 PM)PHSForever Wrote: IMO, this is the main problem with football in the mountains. Too many mommies and daddies exerting too much influence. The coaches need to be able to work with the youth and middle school coaches and develop a focus of fundamentals early, along with as much PT as possible for all players, not participation trophies, but still playing everyone in LL and then gradually increasing focus on the wins as they progress. The skill development and interest in will sort the players out naturally. Not everyone is a Joe Burrow or Jamarr Chase, etc.

The problem in Prestonsburg and I’m sure many other places is that there is no support. A lot of jealousy and pressure to play little Johnny even though he isn’t the best player for the job just because his great grandfather was good at football. If right kids aren’t playing the support goes away. 

If you take the approach of wins don’t matter when they’re young, the coaches get talked about like dogs. If you chase the wins when they’re young you stunt their growth as players. 

I’ve seen this town work for over 30 years and it only works when a coach is willing to stand up for their belief. We’ve already seen this HC back down from what he wanted to do on offense to what some of his assistants has coached in the past. Even though it doesn’t fit his players the best.

I don't know who your source is, but things are A LOT better now than they have been in a long time with Prestonsburg football. Had over 30 players out today and that doesn't include baseball and many others who don't have transportation after school.

Something is obviously going right.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Blue_Bird96
(05-20-2024, 08:34 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:

I don't know who your source is, but things are A LOT better now than they have been in a long time with Prestonsburg football. Had over 30 players out today and that doesn't include baseball and many others who don't have transportation after school.

I’m talking to players and parents. There are a lot more than you realize trying to find a way out of Pburg
(05-20-2024, 10:45 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:

I’m talking to players and parents. There are a lot more than you realize trying to find a way out of Pburg
This is part of the culture change that has to happen and really the only way things get better is by winning football games. Losing 5 of the last 6 games last season hurt and now you have football players dealing with negativity not only at school but at home also. It's unfortunate, but I think things are headed in the right direction. May lose some along the way, but I think this new staff is more concerned with doing this with the kids that want to be here.
(05-21-2024, 04:18 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:

This is part of the culture change that has to happen and really the only way things get better is by winning football games. Losing 5 of the last 6 games last season hurt and now you have football players dealing with negativity not only at school but at home also. It's unfortunate, but I think things are headed in the right direction. May lose some along the way, but I think this new staff is more concerned with doing this with the kids that want to be here.
I agree. No one wants to do what it takes to fix the issues in Pburg, they all want to leave and go somewhere where it’s already a winning culture. 

It’s going to take an influx of talent and commitment that hasn’t been seen in Prestonsburg in a decade or more. 

The school administration has made two terrible hires in a row. One a guy who wasn’t likable and couldn’t relate to the kids. And now a coach who has very little knowledge/experience and hasn’t been able to hire any strong assistant coaches.
I agree, if Prestonsburg is going to get back to the "glory days" they need a strong united front of coaches who are not going to cater to certain kids/parents and get rid of the one's who are a problem to the program. One kid recently left, and this is a blessing in disguise. We may take a slight hit this year, but this bodes well for the future of the program. I am not thrilled with the assistant coaches at this point, but I am hearing some other coaches may be hired over the summer. I believe Hager is trying to do all of the right things, and at this time that's all you can ask for.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Martin Co
Knott Co
Floyd Co
P-Burg

I am sure Ole FAT PAT would agree.... Don't fall asleep on the Patriots just yet. They have a lot of kids, with a lot of playing time, returning to a team that competed well at times last season. The team was predominately Sophomores and Freshman. So coming into this season they have another year of maturity, growth and experience to work with. Who knows... they may surprise us.?
(05-21-2024, 12:45 PM)Atuff1 Wrote: Martin Co
Knott Co
Floyd Co
P-Burg

I am sure Ole FAT PAT would agree.... Don't fall asleep on the Patriots just yet. They have a lot of kids, with a lot of playing time, returning to a team that competed well at times last season. The team was predominately Sophomores and Freshman. So coming into this season they have another year of maturity, growth and experience to work with. Who knows... they may surprise us.?
Don’t get to carried away. Prestonsburg didn’t have a pulse and clocked Knott last year. And the only school with a worse coaching staff is Knott.

What are you talking about. Wesley might not have a ton of experience as a high school head coach he has several years of coaching experience. Been the middle school coach for a few years and was the offensive coordinator at martin county high school. He has played the sport his whole life and his dad has been a head coach almost the whole time the man has been born. He has lived football his whole life. People like you are the problem with Prestonsburg. Crying and whinning all the time. 
Whats so funny is my son would love to play for wesley hager if it wasn't for being at prestonsburg.. bunch of crybabies 
(05-21-2024, 04:17 PM)TE#82 Wrote:
(05-20-2024, 05:14 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote: The problem in Prestonsburg and I’m sure many other places is that there is no support. A lot of jealousy and pressure to play little Johnny even though he isn’t the best player for the job just because his great grandfather was good at football. If right kids aren’t playing the support goes away. 

What are you talking about. Wesley might not have a ton of experience as a high school head coach he has several years of coaching experience. Been the middle school coach for a few years and was the offensive coordinator at martin county high school. He has played the sport his whole life and his dad has been a head coach almost the whole time the man has been born. He has lived football his whole life. People like you are the problem with Prestonsburg. Crying and whinning all the time. 
Whats so funny is my son would love to play for wesley hager if it wasn't for being at prestonsburg.. bunch of crybabies 
Wesley was a subpar middle school coach and didn’t even call plays as the “OC”. He’s a likable guy who isn’t going to be a good ball coach.
(05-21-2024, 04:41 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
(05-20-2024, 08:34 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I don't know who your source is, but things are A LOT better now than they have been in a long time with Prestonsburg football. Had over 30 players out today and that doesn't include baseball and many others who don't have transportation after school.

Wesley was a subpar middle school coach and didn’t even call plays as the “OC”. He’s a likable guy who isn’t going to be a good ball coach.
I'm guessing all those losing seasons at the middle school level has really hurt the high school program in martin county. It's almost as if he valued coaching up the kids to get them ready for the high school program. Looks like that has really worked out for them.
(05-21-2024, 05:01 PM)TE#82 Wrote:
(05-20-2024, 10:45 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote: I’m talking to players and parents. There are a lot more than you realize trying to find a way out of Pburg

I'm guessing all those losing seasons at the middle school level has really hurt the high school program in martin county. It's almost as if he valued coaching up the kids to get them ready for the high school program. Looks like that has really worked out for them.
It hasn’t had time to catch up yet. Martin County is about to have a big drop off. They’re just lucky to be placed in one of the weakest districts in the state.
(05-20-2024, 05:14 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote: The problem in Prestonsburg and I’m sure many other places is that there is no support. A lot of jealousy and pressure to play little Johnny even though he isn’t the best player for the job just because his great grandfather was good at football. If right kids aren’t playing the support goes away. 

I think you quoted the wrong person

I’m all in on Wes being the coach at Prestonsburg
(05-21-2024, 05:38 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(05-20-2024, 08:34 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I don't know who your source is, but things are A LOT better now than they have been in a long time with Prestonsburg football. Had over 30 players out today and that doesn't include baseball and many others who don't have transportation after school.

I think you quoted the wrong person

I’m all in on Wes being the coach at Prestonsburg
I did I usually don't post much. But I think you pburg folk are starting to see who the real problem is in that school
[-] The following 1 user Likes TE#82's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
I believe you definitely have some trying to do what it takes. There’s a group of about a dozen boys that will show up and work their tales off any time they have a chance and that number is slowly growing.

The only way this works is by hiring likable coaches who demand respect without pushing kids away. I think Hager is GREAT with the players and so is this staff. I don’t believe basing your opinions solely on their middle school coaching success carries much weight. 

Hager has been on the sidelines his entire life. He’s seen the ups and downs. He’s lived this. Therefore, I’m not concerned about his abilities to get the job done. He’s young, very likable, passionate, and relatable to the players. That goes a really long way when you want to build up a good program. 

As for his assistants, every one of those guys are Blackcat greats! They know what winning at Prestonsburg looks like and takes. I’m sure they all will have a learning curve, but these guys want to be here and want to be apart of getting this program back to where it belongs.

Like I’ve said already, this program is going to be fine. 

Go Blackcats!
(05-21-2024, 05:06 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
(05-21-2024, 05:01 PM)TE#82 Wrote:
(05-21-2024, 04:18 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: This is part of the culture change that has to happen and really the only way things get better is by winning football games. Losing 5 of the last 6 games last season hurt and now you have football players dealing with negativity not only at school but at home also. It's unfortunate, but I think things are headed in the right direction. May lose some along the way, but I think this new staff is more concerned with doing this with the kids that want to be here.

It hasn’t had time to catch up yet. Martin County is about to have a big drop off. They’re just lucky to be placed in one of the weakest districts in the state.
I guess time will tell. But IMO and I might be bias I think martin county has a 3 year window to where it would surprise me if the went to the regional championship a few times
Martin County probably has one of the best unknown football players in all of the mountains in Devan Maynard.

Has a D1 body and can play multiple positions. Would likely be a tight end in college.