Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
13th Region Transfers
(05-01-2024, 01:40 PM)shottaker23 Wrote:
(04-30-2024, 10:21 PM)predict_proba Wrote: Speaking of north are they even going to have enough for a team?  Heard Valentine ran off another or almost did.  What’s his deal? Is he that unlikeable?
Heard that last summer he had 4 that were going to play minutes tried to leave and him and the assistant Messer threatened them with KHSAA and vowed they would sit for a full year. I know one of them called the bluff and left with no repercussions. My opinion only but I believe he is one of the worst coaches in the region and treats players badly. Good luck to them though.
Valentine is a straight up liar… He’s a walking condom commercial…I was just told less than five minutes ago that a kid transferred into North last year and played basketball from Pulaski County. Kid wants to play football I’m told and may have even practiced with football team a day or two this spring. I’m told Valentine told him not to play football and made him stop.. IF this actually transpired and I was football coach I’d resign immediately. Imagine having a basketball coach who doesn’t want football players on his basketball team..Hearing Coach Davis at South may have an experienced assistant on his bench this season that was a star player at Corbin. Davis and Hines gonna own Northside of town in basketball and football.. Someone mentioned on here Valentine is best asset South has for recruiting purposes. I’m beginning to think that person is correct..
(05-09-2024, 09:43 AM)Cowboy42 Wrote:
(05-01-2024, 01:40 PM)shottaker23 Wrote:
(04-30-2024, 10:21 PM)predict_proba Wrote: Speaking of north are they even going to have enough for a team?  Heard Valentine ran off another or almost did.  What’s his deal? Is he that unlikeable?
Heard that last summer he had 4 that were going to play minutes tried to leave and him and the assistant Messer threatened them with KHSAA and vowed they would sit for a full year. I know one of them called the bluff and left with no repercussions. My opinion only but I believe he is one of the worst coaches in the region and treats players badly. Good luck to them though.
Valentine is a straight up liar… He’s a walking condom commercial…I was just told less than five minutes ago that a kid transferred into North last year and played basketball from Pulaski County. Kid wants to play football I’m told and may have even practiced with football team a day or two this spring. I’m told Valentine told him not to play football and made him stop.. IF this actually transpired and I was football coach I’d resign immediately. Imagine having a basketball coach who doesn’t want football players on his basketball team..Hearing Coach Davis at South may have an experienced assistant on his bench this season that was a star player at Corbin. Davis and Hines gonna own Northside of town in basketball and football.. Someone mentioned on here Valentine is best asset South has for recruiting purposes. I’m beginning to think that person is correct..
If valentine is so bad, how did he keep that position for so long? I assume that the Sheppard family were big fans?
[-] The following 1 user Likes FlyPattern's post:
  • Cowboy42
(05-10-2024, 10:48 AM)FlyPattern Wrote: If valentine is so bad, how did he keep that position for so long? I assume that the Sheppard family were big fans?
Yes you are correct. The Sheppards are fans and they still have relatives on the team.  And trust me South Laurel and Clay are happy he is there and offered to pay his salary to keep him.
[-] The following 2 users Like Grannyshot's post:
  • Cowboy42, shottaker23
(05-10-2024, 10:48 AM)FlyPattern Wrote: If valentine is so bad, how did he keep that position for so long? I assume that the Sheppard family were big fans?
For so long??? He has been there for 3 years. His first 2 seasons he had a couple of college players---last year he did not--and it showed. Him and his staff allegedly bully players into doing what they want. The only thing I can actually verify is that Him and his lead assistant Messer made some bad remarks after a opposing player was injured last season--at that point I lost all respect for both.
(05-10-2024, 11:07 AM)shottaker23 Wrote:
For so long??? He has been there for 3 years. His first 2 seasons he had a couple of college players---last year he did not--and it showed. Him and his staff allegedly bully players into doing what they want. The only thing I can actually verify is that Him and his lead assistant Messer made some bad remarks after a opposing player was injured last season--at that point I lost all respect for both.

That is inaccurate, Valentine took over during the 2019/2020 season, his first two years he lost to Knox Central, once in first round and once in regional finals.

Won the region the following two seasons before losing in first round of state and this past season lost again to Knox Central in first round of region. 

so he has been there five years
[-] The following 1 user Likes FlyPattern's post:
  • shottaker23

Don't know if this is true or not but Messer is pretty much one of the worst people out there. Dude would cut his mother if it gave him the upper hand, I wouldn't put something like that past him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GotYouInMyScope's post:
  • Corbin
(05-13-2024, 02:49 PM)GotYouInMyScope Wrote:

Don't know if this is true or not but Messer is pretty much one of the worst people out there. Dude would cut his mother if it gave him the upper hand, I wouldn't put something like that past him.
I can't speak to anything about him other than the comments I heard him and Valentine say about a injured opponent. People like those two have zero business influencing young people, but thats on Norths leadership. And from what I've heard the injured party is 100% healed and has TWO dates circled on his calender lol.
[-] The following 1 user Likes shottaker23's post:
  • insideinfo
Hearing a very Large(tall) young man and his sister are headed to SL this summer. Could allow them to put some distance between them and HC at the top of the region.
Trent Cole from Harlan Ind has enrolled at Harlan Co.
[-] The following 1 user Likes runthepill's post:
  • shottaker23
(05-14-2024, 11:43 AM)runthepill Wrote: Trent Cole from Harlan Ind has enrolled at Harlan Co.
So, is Farmer enrolling at Clay ? Would that make them the favorite in the 13th ?
(05-14-2024, 04:00 PM)BUFFALO Wrote:
(05-14-2024, 11:43 AM)runthepill Wrote: Trent Cole from Harlan Ind has enrolled at Harlan Co.
So, is Farmer enrolling at Clay ? Would that make them the favorite in the 13th ?
Allegedly per another poster he has already enrolled plus Dezarn returned to clay from Jackson.  He gives them needed size if so. Mabe is the 2nd best big in the state at SL and would easily neutralize Farmer. Plus HC will be a tough out. I think region runs thru London and Harlan--but the top teams are SL, HC, Bell, and Clay in my opinion.
(05-14-2024, 11:43 AM)is this really true or just rumour being spreaded around runthepill Wrote: Trent Cole from Harlan Ind has enrolled at Harlan Co.
Trent Cole from Harlan Ind has enrolled yesterday at Harlan County
(05-08-2024, 04:47 PM)FlyPattern Wrote:
(05-07-2024, 05:22 PM)UKCC Wrote:
(05-07-2024, 01:03 PM)GotYouInMyScope Wrote: I've been told a former Wayne County star enrolled in Clay County today. Jones strikes again!

Not sure about that one but they did get a kid back that spent a little time in Jackson County this past season.

Any update on this one, did a former Wayne County star (assuming Seth Farmer) enroll at Clay County this week?
Seth Farmer has enrolled at Pulaski County, so his move to Clay County is null.
Don’t think Farmer back to Clay was ever really a thing.
(05-18-2024, 09:59 PM)UKCC Wrote: Don’t think Farmer back to Clay was ever really a thing.
Everyone playing for 2nd place because South Laurel is gonna be tough..Davis and South cutting down the nets in the arena next season…
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cowboy42's post:
  • shottaker23
(05-20-2024, 02:13 PM)Cowboy42 Wrote:
(05-18-2024, 09:59 PM)UKCC Wrote: Don’t think Farmer back to Clay was ever really a thing.
Everyone playing for 2nd place because South Laurel is gonna be tough..Davis and South cutting down the nets in the arena next season…
And don't be surprised if they add a BIG transfer from out of Region. I'm hearing rumblings of one that will be huge for several years if it happens.
Wouldn’t be surprised at all to see South win their second title in 17 years. Roster is loaded.
(05-20-2024, 11:48 PM)UKCC Wrote: Wouldn’t be surprised at all to see South win their second  title in 17 years. Roster is loaded.

As the roster is now, if you mean region yes, state no chance unless add multiple.
(05-21-2024, 12:13 AM)FlyPattern Wrote:
(05-20-2024, 11:48 PM)UKCC Wrote: Wouldn’t be surprised at all to see South win their second  title in 17 years. Roster is loaded.

As the roster is now, if you mean region yes, state no chance unless add multiple
You have basically the entire roster returning plus whatever adds in the portal. They took the state runner up to within 4 pts with their best player not at 100% plus single digits in the reg season. Plus Mabe is the most versatile player in the state that I've seen. No chance seems a bit harsh especially considering how the draw with tourney works. SL will have a chance at state in my opinion. And I've heard that they have been invited to KOB and they don't invite teams that have no chance.
(05-07-2024, 05:22 PM)UKCC Wrote:
(05-07-2024, 01:03 PM)GotYouInMyScope Wrote: I've been told a former Wayne County star enrolled in Clay County today. Jones strikes again!

Not sure about that one but they did get a kid back that spent a little time in Jackson County this past season.

Also speculation that Clay will be getting a senior back for a fifth year, any truth to that?
I think the 13th will have another exciting year of hoops. I don't expect our Big Clay to be as much of a threat as last year. Unless some new addition drops in. I do think they will be a gritty bunch and will pick up a few big wins. You don't just replace what Bundy brought to our team. If Harris had been fully committed from the start like he was in the end we probably would have went further. I look for North to be much better than last year, even though i don't think they are well coachedAnd i sure hope that staff did not make the comments i saw in another post about a injured rival player. Basically they have some great young talent and the nerves' will most likely be shook loose. Davidson is a solid player and fairly versatile but not quite the prospect he has been promoted to be. The Rawlings kid really contributed to a lot of the wins they got late season offensively and will probably pick up where he left off last year. They also have a nice young guard  that looks like he is going to be a great player in the next few seasons. Harlan co will be good again but you don't replace a player of Noah's caliber, just look at North when Sheppard left. Huff is a great player but now he will acquire all the opposing teams attention. The shots will not come as easy. I will say this about him he puts in the work and he wants to win. He is also very savvy minded to the game. Although i am not a fan of all the glamour shots. Old school minded i am! Corbin will not be anywhere close to the team they were as i think they loose a lot of physicality. Of course coach P's son will still be physical. Andy coach P may be stretched thin since rumor is he took the girls middle school job? But Corbin is like South you can never count them out. Although they have long been a rival to us. I will miss watching the Curry kid. Some kids just play the right way and you cant help to be a fan. I will go with what most are saying and say South will be a tough tough team this year. Mabe is a great player and team player. He can play almost any position on the floor solidly and he's a great shooter all around. And I'm guessing Davis is thanking the basketball gods for the Rawlings kid dropping in. He is a lot like Curry only more athletic and shifty and can shoot the lights out. I thought he was a brother to the Rawlings at north but was told they are cousins which makes since being he transferred and the other is still at NL. I did meet him and his father at a funeral recently. Outstanding young man. I believe he is a top 5 player in the region. Who doesn't want a kid who can get it done on both ends and doesn't quit. Again I'm old school. One to watch in my opinion. The Steele kid turned on late season to and looks to be 6'6 And the last team i will mention is Bell. Young guns!! I look for them to be the team to watch out for in the 25/26 season. And not to take them lightly this year but I believe they will be at the region this year. The Buell kid is tough and uh oh!! here it comes He has that old school mentality. Very talented and fundamental player the little guard they have i think his name last name was last name was Thomas is scrappy and can stroke it. Throw Burnett in there as a big physical PG. I don't think anyone will have a easy day at the office when playing them. Sizemore always gets the best from his players.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BallAlcoholic's post:
  • Drop-step
You have to be able to score when you get to the Sweet 16 and SL hasn’t proven that IMO. Everyone talks about them playing HC to 4 points in the region but 4 points in a game that’s 36-32 is like 10-14 points in a game in the 70s. Clay simply lost a lot with Bundy. Yes Harris scored but he didn’t do much in the paint as far as rebounds and defense. Anxious to see if the Grubb kid improves his perimeter game because he looked very promising. Clay will have some experience next year which should help.
(05-22-2024, 11:13 AM)nedreader Wrote: You have to be able to score when you get to the Sweet 16 and SL hasn’t proven that IMO.  Everyone talks about them playing HC to 4 points in the region but 4 points in a game that’s 36-32 is like 10-14 points in a game in the 70s.  Clay simply lost a lot with Bundy.  Yes Harris scored but he didn’t do much in the paint as far as rebounds and defense.  Anxious to see if the Grubb kid improves his perimeter game because he looked very promising.  Clay will have some experience next year which should help.
I'm just asking since i love other opinions on games. Do you think south played stall ball? Which brings me do another big question around hoops. Does high school need a shot clock. I will give my opinion and first i will say I myself love fast pace games. But since i have  served. I know sometimes you strike fast and others you must be more strategic or out last your opposers strikes. So what I'm saying is I'm not a fan of a shot clock in HS. Mainly because it primarily benefits your more athletic teams who play poor defense. Which is where i think great coaching steps in. And i believe game IQ and fundamentals take a back seat more often than not with a HS shot clock. You end up with AAU basketball with show boaters going iso one on one. Example to the style is Wagner at KY.  You must know your teams strong and week points. If you cannot play fast you must value each offensive possession and grind it out on defense. Control the pace especially if your bench isn't deep. Which is what i think South did in the Harlan game. After your post i went and looked at their box scores and it looks like they are pretty efficient at scoring especially in regards to shooting percentage Mabe and Rawlings had several 20+ games Most of their games where around the average high school final score games. Burchell who was the girls coach here at clay was a master at controlling the pace. Take North as an example to. They as a whole team in the past 3 years were not good defensively especially last year. They are coached to run score 80 and win. That type of coaching is a numbers only way. You can win some games but have a off night shooting or meet a team who controls the pace and your done. That's what happened to them against Pike in the state a few years back. Pike had a great game plan and they stuck to it. In all honesty this stuff is what makes the game so addictively fun. Love him or hate him Davis is good at what he does.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BallAlcoholic's post:
  • shottaker23
Burchell slowed the pace more during the last few years when he lacked talent. If/when SL makes it to the Sweet 16 they will ultimately face a team that will press them full court and speed the game up whether they like it or not.
(05-23-2024, 11:54 AM)nedreader Wrote: Burchell slowed the pace more during the last few years when he lacked talent.  If/when SL makes it to the Sweet 16 they will ultimately face a team that will press them full court and speed the game up whether they like it or not.
Kinda like GRC, North Hardin, Marshall, and CAL did? They were all favorites to win their regions last year and SL beat them all. You evidently haven't seen them play, as several teams pressed them last year. When you have a 6'8 kid who you can move into the PG slot that sees over top of D its easy to beat. South also has a 6'6 kid that plays point some as well. Not saying they will go to or win anything at the sweet 16 but they will be competitive at the state level next season. I do agree that South will not win a track meet but speeding them up will be difficult. HC will try to speed them up in the 13th but they are the only team that can( and the last 4 games against HC where single digit games).
(05-23-2024, 12:09 PM)shottaker23 Wrote:
(05-23-2024, 11:54 AM)nedreader Wrote: Burchell slowed the pace more during the last few years when he lacked talent.  If/when SL makes it to the Sweet 16 they will ultimately face a team that will press them full court and speed the game up whether they like it or not.
Kinda like GRC, North Hardin, Marshall, and CAL did? They were all favorites to win their regions last year and SL beat them all. You evidently haven't seen them play, as several teams pressed them last year. When you have a 6'8 kid who you can move into the PG slot that sees over top of D its easy to beat. South also has a 6'6 kid that plays point some as well. Not saying they will go to or win anything at the sweet 16 but they will be competitive at the state level next season. I do agree that South will not win a track meet but speeding them up will be difficult. HC will try to speed them up in the 13th but they are the only team that can( and the last 4 games against HC where single digit games).

CAL was never considered favorite to win their region.
(05-23-2024, 01:11 PM)FlyPattern Wrote:
(05-23-2024, 12:09 PM)shottaker23 Wrote:

CAL was never considered favorite to win their region.
Sorry they where only ranked 6th in the region preseason by Cats Pause and had two D1 athletes. But the point was that South can play uptempo teams and sometimes come out on top. Yes they value possessions and play slowdown ball but if they win the 13th next season they have a chance to make some noise, much like HC did last season. Everything depends on the draw for just about every mountain team.