Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former Corbin Redhound Andrew Taylor
13th region fans got to watch Andrew showcase his talents for the Redhounds for five years. He led the Hounds to their last region title in 2018. When Taylor's HS career ended, he was the third leading scorer in the history of Kentucky high school basketball.

For those who don't know Andrew,  is now playing for Marshall University. Marshall was upset in the quarterfinals of the Sunbelt tourney yesterday by Texas St. , ending their regular season at 24-8.

In February, Andrew was named the Sunbelt Conference Player of the Week as well as the Lou Henson National Player of the Week, averaging 29.2 points, 7.5 assists, and 5.5 rebounds in the Herd's two games that week.

On the season, Andrew has averaged 20.2 points per game ,  which ranks him as the 24th best scorer in the country. Andew is just 0.9 ppg behind Gonzaga's Drew Timme, who is the nation's #14 scorer.

For his career, Andrew has scored over 1,600 points at Marshall.

Not bad for a young man from little 'ol Corbin, KY.

Congrats , Andy .

Watch as #0  leads his team back from a 11-point deficit against GA Southern earlier  in the season. He scored 28 pts. in this one and makes the game-winning bucket. Post-game interview with the  "Sheriff" afterwards.

(03-05-2023, 01:46 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: 13th region fans got to watch Andrew showcase his talents for the Redhounds for five years. He led the Hounds to their last region title in 2018. When Taylor's HS career ended, he was the third leading scorer in the history of Kentucky high school basketball.

For those who don't know Andrew,  is now playing for Marshall University. Marshall was upset in the quarterfinals of the Sunbelt tourney yesterday by Texas St. , ending their regular season at 24-8.

In February, Andrew was named the Sunbelt Conference Player of the Week as well as the Lou Henson National Player of the Week, averaging 29.2 points, 7.5 assists, and 5.5 rebounds in the Herd's two games that week.

On the season, Andrew has averaged 20.2 points per game ,  which ranks him as the 24th best scorer in the country. Andew is just 0.9 ppg behind Gonzaga's Drew Timme, who is the nation's #14 scorer.

For his career, Andrew has scored over 1,600 points at Marshall.

Not bad for a young man from little 'ol Corbin, KY.

Congrats , Andy .

Watch as #0  leads his team back from a 11-point deficit against GA Southern earlier  in the season. He scored 28 pts. in this one and makes the game-winning bucket. Post-game interview with the  "Sheriff" afterwards.

In the game above, Marshall was down 11 points with just 1:36 to play. Andrew's bucket came with just a few seconds left.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Bull got out!
I really believe Kentucky basketball really missed out on not offering Andrew Taylor a basketball scholarship.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 64SUR's post:
  • Bull got out!
(03-05-2023, 04:32 PM)64SUR Wrote: I really believe Kentucky basketball really missed out on not offering Andrew Taylor a basketball scholarship.

I believe that as well. I think he would have been a nice contributor on a UK team that has needed some consistent shooting the past two or three seasons. 

A quick story...

I have watched Corbin basketball  since the early 1970's...  over 50 years.   I have seen probably in excess in six or seven hundred games(*maybe more) , some of which I walked to, back when I was younger and  didn't have access to a car. While most of the games I have attended were here in the Tri-Counties, I have also traveled all over the state and as far as Florida to watch them play.  In all of those 50+ of attending Corbin basketball games, not a single fan, booster, student , teacher, administrator, coach, assistant coach, mom/dad, or player ever thanked me for my tireless and loyal following of my beloved Hounds over the last half century... not a single person... EXCEPT for ONE .

After the 2018 regional title game , one which went to OT and was very draining for players, coaches, and fans, alike,  a young man climbed multiple flights of stairs in the Corbin Arena, to reach where I was sitting , alone, winding down from that emotionally draining game.  As he came into view, I could see that the youngster was none other than the tourney MVP , who had recently become the third highest scorer in the history of KY high school basketball. That young man said, "I've noticed you at a lot of our games this year and I just wanted to thank you for coming to watch us play."  Before that day, I had never talked with that youngster before. That young man was Andrew Taylor , the ONLY person in over a half century of watching Corbin basketball, who ever thanked me for coming and watching him play.

Andrew  was criticized on occasion, sometimes deservedly so. High school kids will say and do stupid things from time to time. But that one action of him taking the time after a draining championship game to thank a single fan really left an indelible impression on me . I'm sure Andrew has grown a lot in the five years since that day and I'm so happy that he has achieved all the success as a Marshall University basketball player. I haven't forgotten your kind words on that day five years ago , Andy.  Best of luck with all future endeavors.
[-] The following 3 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • 64SUR, Bull got out!, Cardinalfootballguy