Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Average Margins of Victory(By Class) For All First Round Playoff Games...
Here's what a couple folks were asking for in another thread. I've put pen to paper and calculated all first round point differentials. You will see a triplet of numbers for  the 1-4 games , the 2-3 games , and all games in each class.  The top number is the ave. points for the winner, the number just below is the ave. points for the loser, and the bottom number is the ave.margin of victory.

CLASS  1A  :   

4 vs. 1  /   2  vs  3  /   All Games

50.4   /   37.0   /   42.6
6.8     /   11.7  /    9.7

43.6   /    25.3  /    32.9

CLASS 2A  :

48.6   /   37.1  /    42.9
7.9     /   19.6  /    13.8

40.7   /   17.5  /    29.1 

CLASS 3A :

43.9   /     42.8   /   43.3
5.9    /      14.4  /    10.4

38.0  /      28.4   /   32.9

CLASS 4A :  

45.6  /    40.9  /   42.4
9.9   /     8.8   /     9.3

35.7  /    32.1  /    33.1

CLASS 5A  :

46.0    /   43.3  /    44.6
4.5     /    11.3  /     7.9

41.5   /    32.0  /    36.7

CLASS 6A  :

47.5   /   39.4   /  43.4
9.9    /    19.6  /   14.8

37.6   /    19.8   /  28.6

ALL CLASSES COMBINED :

1 vs. 4  /  2 vs. 3  /   All Games

46.9  /    40.1   /   43.3
7.5    /    14.3   /   11.0

39.4  /   25.8   /   32.3    
[-] The following 6 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • 64SUR, Bull got out!, Hound05, nemo, Westside, wolfcat
Just goes to show!!! Drop the 4th seed. Almost all 6 classes had an avg margin of a running clock. I don’t think Harlan gained anything Friday. If anything our JV Gained more than both varsity’s. Not worth the time, Money, or effort honestly. No offense to Harlan or any 4th seed. And If I’m speaking for you and you don’t agree say it. I’ll change my mind about it. But I’ve never heard someone in that situation say “man I’m glad we got to travel 200 miles and got killed, it was fun”.

But thanks OSH. Pretty interesting. I said in week three the top teams are down from what they have been and the middle of the pack was up. We had the lowest margin of victory. But I think that’s kinda screwed to though. Who knows what happened in some of those games. We didn’t play our starters in the 2nd half outside the first series maybe. So it’s unknown what some of those scores would be.
The #1 seeds were 43-0 against the #4 seeds with an average margin of victory of almost 40 pts/game .

The #2 seeds were 36-11 against the # 3 's .

The closest 1 vs 4 games were:

Walton Verona by 10 over Newport
Lawrence County by 12 over East Carter
Dunbar by 14 over Oldham Co
Time for a change. No reason for these 4 seeds to be in the playoffs.
Morgan Co won 1 game all year to a team not even competing for a district title in Jackson Co. but still gets into the playoffs. So they drove 2 hours to get beat 55-0 by Shelby Valley. I see no benefit for either team. According to RPI Morgan is the next to last place team in 2a but still made the playoffs even though they were winless in the district and outscored 134-0 by district opponents.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wolfcat's post:
  • Old School Hound
Think of all of the money that could be saved and running clock games averted if the top four RPI teams in each class automatically advanced to the state semifinals.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • Waitaminute
Leave it like it is. Under no scenario is less football for kids to play a good one. Everyone gripes about football but never mentions the post season setup that both basketball and baseball has. I wonder how many of you all that complains year in and year out actually played and coached the game. Coaches want to spend as much time with their kids as they can.
[-] The following 2 users Like Tomcat Pride's post:
  • Waitaminute, Walt Longmire
(11-06-2022, 11:18 AM)Tomcat Pride Wrote: Leave it like it is. Under no scenario is less football for kids to play a good one. Everyone gripes about football but never mentions the post season setup that both basketball and baseball has. I wonder how many of you all that complains year in and year out actually played and coached the game. Coaches want to spend as much time with their kids as they can.
No coach that I have ever known wants to lead their team into a massacre.
[-] The following 3 users Like TheStickyBandit's post:
  • Gitback Coach, Old School Hound, wolfcat
(11-06-2022, 11:25 AM)TheStickyBandit Wrote:
(11-06-2022, 11:18 AM)Tomcat Pride Wrote: Leave it like it is. Under no scenario is less football for kids to play a good one. Everyone gripes about football but never mentions the post season setup that both basketball and baseball has. I wonder how many of you all that complains year in and year out actually played and coached the game. Coaches want to spend as much time with their kids as they can.
No coach that I have ever known wants to lead their team into a massacre.
And in baseball and basketball districts you might have to drive 30 min tops.
I was fortunate enough to have coaches that would never concede defeat without playing the game. The reason that there are so many running clock games in Kentucky high school football is that there are too many bad coaches in the state. Any change that does not result in a drastic improvement in the quality of coaching across the state is like putting a band aid over a wound and expecting it to stop arterial bleeding. Kentucky is blessed with many good to great basketball coaches but strong football coaches and programs are few and far between. Playing fewer football games would do nothing to address the real problem.

If school district administrators want to commit time and money to improving football across the state, then it will be done but that commitment obviously does not exist in most districts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • Waitaminute

Would you be okay if one more game was added to the regular season? Each team gets 11 games to build their resumes.  Top three in each district move on.  The 2's and 3'3 play in round 1;  district champs get the byes and play the winner of the  2-3 game in round 2.  
Whenever there is an average margin of victory , across all classes, of nearly forty poinrs for 1-4 games ,  the system is begging for change.

All the folks on this board are smart HS football fans who care about the kids that participate and the schools the represent.  You know in every fiber of your being that Lynn Camp at Pikeviile  games should not happen .
This first round game is a waste of time. The object of the playoffs is to see who is the best, not give a mediocre team one more game. I will take quality over quantity all day every day.
[-] The following 2 users Like DukeBoy's post:
  • Gitback Coach, Old School Hound
Do you all realized how silly this is. For 11 weeks out of the season we have blowouts and nobody batts an eye, but come week 12 its some huge big deal. Its just silly and honestly its hypocritical.
[-] The following 2 users Like plantmanky's post:
  • Hoot Gibson, Walt Longmire
(11-06-2022, 06:05 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Do you all realized how silly this is.  For 11 weeks out of the season we have blowouts and nobody batts an eye, but come week 12 its some huge big deal.  Its just silly and honestly its hypocritical.

This is the playoffs now. Or , as the KHSAA likes to call it , the " UK Healthcare Sports Medicine Football Finals."  It is not a tourney where 2-8 and 1-9 teams should be invited.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Gitback Coach
(11-06-2022, 11:42 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: I was fortunate enough to have coaches that would never concede defeat without playing the game. The reason that there are so many running clock games in Kentucky high school football is that there are too many bad coaches in the state. Any change that does not result in a drastic improvement in the quality of coaching across the state is like putting a band aid over a wound and expecting it to stop arterial bleeding. Kentucky is blessed with many good to great basketball coaches but strong football coaches and programs are few and far between. Playing fewer football games would do nothing to address the real problem.

If school district administrators want to commit time and money to improving football across the state, then it will be done but that commitment obviously does not exist in most districts.
I will 100% agree with you on coaches!! Are their good coaches in bad situations? Yep! But if I were to guess, it’s a lot of bad coaches in what could be very decent situations if they had a good coach. I’m not
gonna name name’s, or schools. But if the administration can’t figure out that because Johnny road the bench for 4 years but stuck with it, decides one day I’ll be a coach, THAT DOESNT MAKE HIM QUALIFIED FOR THE JOB!! And I see it every day at a lot of programs. And I’m not talking about a freshman special teams coach! A DB coach, A Line coach. 99% couldn’t play at the next level (which dont mean they’ll be bad coaches) but they have no idea what it takes. They might go to a coaches seminar once year and that makes them qualified? I mean i applaud their time and effort, but I go to space camp that don’t make me fit to do a space walk!!
(11-06-2022, 01:40 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: The #1 seeds  were  43-0  against the #4  seeds with an average margin of victory of  almost 40 pts/game .

The #2  seeds  were  36-11 against  the # 3 's .

The closest  1 vs 4 games were:

Lawrence County by  12  over East Carter

You are my hero for doing this work!!!! Marvelous job!!!!

(11-06-2022, 10:57 AM)wolfcat Wrote: Time for a change. No reason for these 4 seeds to be in the playoffs.
Morgan Co won 1 game all year to a team not even competing for a district title in Jackson Co. but still gets into the playoffs. So they drove 2 hours to get beat 55-0 by Shelby Valley.  I see no benefit for either team. According to RPI Morgan is the next to last place team in 2a but still made the playoffs even though they were winless in the district and outscored 134-0 by district opponents.

Big M little organ should NOT be in a playoff of any kind.  They are terrible!!!!  Their kids didn’t want another game; I’m quite sure of it.  I don’t care about the number of games or whatever.  I just see it as a waste of time and resources.  Of course coaching and commitment are some of the problems. I just think it really is silly to involve one win teams in the “playoffs”!

I’m also gonna root for Corbin this post season in your honor……if……..you can re-assure me that their visitor’s locker room doesn’t still have one naked commode in the middle of the room! Bahahahaha

Have you ever taken a one win team into a playoff game?  No, Sir- respectfully; coaches of one win teams don’t want another week of practice.  They want to get on with collecting gear, planning for winter weights, often- seeing the blind parents of their no-talent senior class move on, as well.  They don’t want to drive two hours to go and get “running clocked”, again.  A lot of the players even feign injuries so as not to have to endure another embarrassment against an extremely over matched opponent; which pushes younger inexperienced kids into the field for these home games.

(11-06-2022, 09:20 PM)ROTC Wrote:
(11-06-2022, 01:40 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: The #1 seeds  were  43-0  against the #4  seeds with an average margin of victory of  almost 40 pts/game .

You are my hero for doing this work!!!!  Marvelous job!!!!

(11-06-2022, 10:57 AM)wolfcat Wrote: Time for a change. No reason for these 4 seeds to be in the playoffs.
Morgan Co won 1 game all year to a team not even competing for a district title in Jackson Co. but still gets into the playoffs. So they drove 2 hours to get beat 55-0 by Shelby Valley.  I see no benefit for either team. According to RPI Morgan is the next to last place team in 2a but still made the playoffs even though they were winless in the district and outscored 134-0 by district opponents.

Big M little organ should NOT be in a playoff of any kind.  They are terrible!!!!  Their kids didn’t want another game; I’m quite sure of it.  I don’t care about the number of games or whatever.  I just see it as a waste of time and resources.  Of course coaching and commitment are some of the problems. I just think it really is silly to involve one win teams in the “playoffs”!

I’m also gonna root for Corbin this post season in your honor……if……..you can re-assure me that their visitor’s locker room doesn’t still have one naked commode in the middle of the room! Bahahahaha

Have you ever taken a one win team into a playoff game?  No, Sir- respectfully; coaches of one win teams don’t want another week of practice.  They want to get on with collecting gear, planning for winter weights, often- seeing the blind parents of their no-talent senior class move on, as well.  They don’t want to drive two hours to go and get “running clocked”, again.  A lot of the players even feign injuries so as not to have to endure another embarrassment against an extremely over matched opponent; which pushes younger inexperienced kids into the field for these joke games.
I say keep letting everyone in. But give all 1-3 seeds a bye first round. Reseed remaining teams based on rpi. They play a "play in game" that makes their one extra game mean something. Then move on with the playoffs.
This would work if enough teams remain outside of 1-3 seeds to even have an opponent for everyone. BUT- I still say, a one win team doesn’t belong or REALLY WANT to be there.

Have you ever taken a one win team into a playoff game?  No, Sir- respectfully; coaches of one win teams don’t want another week of practice.  They want to get on with collecting gear, planning for winter weights, often- seeing the blind parents of their no-talent senior class move on, as well.  They don’t want to drive two hours to go and get “running clocked”, again.  A lot of the players even feign injuries so as not to have to endure another embarrassment against an extremely over matched opponent; which pushes younger inexperienced kids into the field for these home games.

Have you ever taken a one win team into a playoff game?  No, Sir- respectfully; coaches of one win teams don’t want another week of practice.  They want to get on with collecting gear, planning for winter weights, often- seeing the blind parents of their no-talent senior class move on, as well.  They don’t want to drive two hours to go and get “running clocked”, again.  A lot of the players even feign injuries so as not to have to endure another embarrassment against an extremely over matched opponent; which pushes younger inexperienced kids into the field for these joke games.

You're very welcome, ROTC. You asked for it so I thought I'd oblige. Great way to spend a Saturday evening. Smile
You seem to enjoy numbers an math OSH. Check out thay coach I was talking about earlier in the week. The one who never punts. I think he’s from Alabama or GA. But it’s a good read. Then I started looking at the numbers that he was talking about, although they were published by someone else. But it’s very interesting and makes ya think. I think at one time he always kicked onside’s too. Not sure on that.

Always thought if you got a guy who knows “football”, the fundamentals and all that. And you got a guy who can pick out tendencies, thing a lot of others overlook that would give you a big advantage, you’d have a good recipe for success. Or just grab one that’s both! Hahah. IMO, you’re starting to see more and more of those guys that are using math and all of that for playing calling, or situational plays, game plans etc.
District Champs get a bye. 2/3 play cross districts. 4th or 5th place in district don't make the playoffs. Only eliminates 25% of the teams and makes the in season district games more meaningful.
That naked commode at Corbin ……..
I’d rather shat myself than use that ….
Who in their right mind would use that ?
(11-07-2022, 12:11 AM)BEChargers Wrote: District Champs get a bye.  2/3 play cross districts.  4th or 5th place in district don't make the playoffs.  Only eliminates 25% of the teams and makes the in season district games more meaningful.

This is precisely where I'm at.  It makes total sense, which is why they probably won't do it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Gitback Coach
(11-07-2022, 12:14 AM)Deuce8 Wrote: That naked commode at Corbin ……..

Finally someone else agrees, and the Bible says open confession is good for the soul……I almost did once, Deuce8!

I get painting the visitor’s locker room pink, but the naked commode is a bridge too far.

You are better than this- Corbin!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ROTC's post:
  • Deuce8
KHSAA 1st round playoff score averages were 42.8-7.3 ppg. That’s a “running clock” average for entire first round. 5 of 90 games were played within 1 score.
(11-07-2022, 08:19 AM)ROTC Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 12:14 AM)Deuce8 Wrote: That naked commode at Corbin ……..

Finally someone else agrees, and the Bible says open confession is good for the soul……I almost did once, Deuce8!

I get painting the visitor’s locker room pink, but the naked commode is a bridge too far.

You are better than this- Corbin!!!
Is it really pink? Hahah. I haven’t been in there in a long time
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hound05's post:
  • Deuce8
I think we should just let the seniors stay back another Covid year. Really helped sports out so much in KY. About like this dumbass playoff system we have. Makes no sense.
(11-07-2022, 11:08 AM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: KHSAA 1st round playoff score averages were 42.8-7.3 ppg. That’s a “running clock” average for entire first round. 5 of 90 games were played within 1 score.

Its not much different in every other sport though in Kentucky.
Hound05- I don’t know if it is pink or not…that was a reference to what the Iowa Hawkeyes do. LOL
I wished they would go back to 4 classes. This 6 classifications let some average teams that have no business playing in state championship games. Dropping to 5 classes would even be a improvement. The next thing I would like to see is just let the top 2 teams from each district in the playoffs and seed the whole tournament. The 3 and 4 seeds are rarely ever competitive and it should a honor to make the playoffs.
Keep six classes; but sixth class is called PRIVATE SCHOOLS!

Ones get a bye as a reward for regular season work.

Two’s and three’s play and teams that still have life and wanna be there will prepare and play hard.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ROTC's post:
  • Hound05