Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathitt VS Perry tonight (2/15)
Who you got and why?
Perry cause it’s at Perry. Should be a great game though. 2 former teammates going at it in the paint.
Perry by 3. Perry's guard play and ball control is very composed but Breathitt is very athletic. If Breathitt can hit from the perimeter and cause Perry to have to spread the floor it could turn out different. Perry has got to keep Breathitt off the boards and limit second chance opportunities. I like the Dore's chances and this could be a preview of the 14th regional championship. No one else is close in the region to these teams barring any injuries. It will be a great atmosphere for sure. Game is at Perry and that will factor in as well.
[Image:

]

#thekinghasspoken  More mash taters please!!!
At PCC, I’ll take the Commodores by 7.
Neither coach shows all their cards tonight. Will be good game though if Breathitt can handle the defensive pressure. Hoskins liable to zone them though to keep Sperry out of the paint.
Bobcats will have 23 turnovers and won’t play a lick of defense. PCC 65 bobcats 53
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mountainparkway's post:
  • wannacat
I was close on my prediction. Glad the bobcats fought back to make it respectable. Pcc was up most of the game by double digits
(02-15-2022, 03:41 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote: Bobcats will have 23 turnovers and won’t play a lick of defense. PCC 65 bobcats 53
You my friend was very accurate.
Most athletic team = Breathitt
Better team = Perry
Better coach = Perry

Breathitt started cutting down on the lead once they began pressing. Not sure what took them so long to start doing that.

Sperry is a very athletic and talented player for Breathitt but he is super easy to get frustrated and super easy to take out of the game mentally if you are the opponent.
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackAndYellow's post:
  • Mountainparkway, Poseidon
(02-16-2022, 12:15 AM)BlackAndYellow Wrote: Most athletic team = Breathitt
Better team = Perry
Better coach = Perry

Breathitt started cutting down on the lead once they began pressing.  Not sure what took them so long to start doing that.

Sperry is a very athletic and talented player for Breathitt but he is super easy to get frustrated and super easy to take out of the game mentally if you are the opponent.
Agree with everything you said. I think I said the same thing about Perry having a better team and coach. Sometimes sperry plays out of control, but at times it seems he’s the only one on the team that’s willing to make anything happen offensively when they need it. I’m ready for the region tourney it’s going to be a barn burner
  • Poseidon
(02-16-2022, 12:19 AM)Mountainparkway Wrote:
Better team = Perry
Better coach = Perry

Breathitt started cutting down on the lead once they began pressing.  Not sure what took them so long to start doing that.

Agree with everything you said. I think I said the same thing about Perry having a better team and coach. Sometimes sperry plays out of control, but at times it seems he’s the only one on the team that’s willing to make anything happen offensively when they need it. I’m ready for the region tourney it’s going to be a barn burner

I agree with you on that..On one hand, like I said, Sperry is easy to take of the game mentally but if he is having a good night and gets that swaggy confidence going he is a tough player to stop and a go-to kid to get a basket.
What really surprises me with Breathitt is how Collins and Turner seem to be playing “half way” at times.  If those 2 guys played “balls to the wall” if you will, the entire game, and Sperry is confident and “head strong” I’m not sure a team in the region could keep up with them.  But, I don’t think that can be the case with this team which will make for an interesting regional tournament.
Turner and Collins just don’t have that killer mentally I’d like to see. Very passive. Maybe these kids have been built up to much and people are expecting something they can’t deliver.
Breathitts press really changed the tide of the game. Thought once perry started breaking the press up the middle they settled for a lot of 3’s and breathitt was able to capitalize. Perry hits free throws and takes better shots they win by double digits.
(02-16-2022, 01:31 AM)RockyRoad Wrote: Breathitts press really changed the tide of the game. Thought once perry started breaking the press up the middle they settled for a lot of 3’s and breathitt was able to capitalize. Perry hits free throws and takes better shots they win by double digits.
Perry is the worst FT shooting team in the region. I wouldn’t hang my hat on that

Breathitt couldn’t have played any worse and Perry couldn’t have played any better. If these 2 meet in the region it could be one for the ages
(02-16-2022, 03:22 AM)Blue Lips Wrote:
(02-16-2022, 01:31 AM)RockyRoad Wrote: Breathitts press really changed the tide of the game. Thought once perry started breaking the press up the middle they settled for a lot of 3’s and breathitt was able to capitalize. Perry hits free throws and takes better shots they win by double digits.
Perry is the worst FT shooting team in the region. I wouldn’t hang my hat on that

Breathitt couldn’t have played any worse and Perry couldn’t have played any better. If these 2 meet in the region it could be one for the ages
Perry is capable of playing much better. Breathitt had a terrible 1st half, played better in the 2nd.
Napier hits 5 of 6 at the line to seal it and Beverly hit 2 I think. Shot over 80% against Knott.
Great defense by the commodores, I'll hang my hat on that all day.
Breathitt poor ball movement is the reason for no offense, didn’t have much to do with Perry’s defense. 3 on 1 never worked for MJ so I imagine it won’t work for Breathitt either. Breathitt’s shot selection has been poor all year it is hard to watch.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blue Lips's post:
  • Poseidon
Breathitt will be just fine. Probably Breathitt’s most horrible offensive game and had Perry down to a 1 possession game several times late in the 4th. Rematch happens in the regional tournament, I will take Breathitt by 10 plus.
I for one, have raved about Breathitt's talent all year, but with that being said, talent can only take you so far! I don't understand why Collins isn't playing more down on the block. He is the most athletic, skilled big man in the region. He has the ability to score over anyone in this region, if he is utilized correctly. Also, you can't expect to beat good teams turning the ball over twenty times a game. I think Breathitt has an excellent shot at Perry in the regionals, especially with it being at Breathitt, but they are going to have to play one of their better games to beat Perry.
[-] The following 3 users Like Cat Daddy's post:
  • Poseidon, roundballer, wannacat
Breathitt is definitely a second half team. Can’t ever count them out, they have a way of pointing 8-10 points on the boards in under 30 seconds..seen it during All A State. But this game proved that defense wins ballgames. The Day kid was defensive player of the game in my opinion. Surprised he only had 7 points in the 4 at one point cause he had been so active in the game. Breathitt gets frustrated easily, Beverly handles his emotions better than Sperry, more controlled and a better shooter outside where as Sperry is longer, more athletic and drives better. McKenzie experience showed and held Hoskins off. Collins can dunk wide open, that’s a sweet little play they have for that. He needs to be more aggressive
(02-16-2022, 08:50 AM)Cat Daddy Wrote: I for one, have raved about Breathitt's talent all year, but with that being said, talent can only take you so far! I don't understand why Collins isn't playing more down on the block. He is the most athletic, skilled big man in the region. He has the ability to score over anyone in this region, if he is utilized correctly. Also, you can't expect to beat good teams turning the ball over twenty times a game. I think Breathitt has an excellent shot at Perry in the regionals, especially with it being at Breathitt, but they are going to have to play one of their better games to beat Perry.

They turned the ball over because of poor ball movement. It had nothing to do with Perry’s defense.
Yeah most turnovers were self inflicted. Sperry 5-15 from the floor. He comes back in the last 3 minutes of game dribbling straight down the court shooting a contested 3 and pull up jumpers forgetting all about ball movement. 2 point lead expands to 10 real quick
Better team = Perry
Better coach = Perry

Breathitt started cutting down on the lead once they began pressing. Not sure what took them so long to start doing that.

Didn't press probably to save fouls and keep his players on the floor. Same with Perry i would imagine. The Bobcats press did bother the Commodores in the game especially in the 3rd but it also put the Bobcats in foul trouble.
(02-16-2022, 11:01 AM)Huck Fin Wrote:
Better team = Perry
Better coach = Perry

Didn't press probably to save fouls and keep his players on the floor. Same with Perry i would imagine.  The Bobcats press did bother the Commodores in the game especially in the 3rd but it also put the Bobcats in foul trouble.
That’s all fine and dandy but you’re going to have to risk the foul trouble and press in order to beat them.  Like you said, the press bothered the Commodores.  Breathitt has the hosses to do that.  Not beating Perry in the half court set.
(02-16-2022, 11:23 AM)BlackAndYellow Wrote:
(02-16-2022, 11:01 AM)Huck Fin Wrote:
Better team = Perry
Better coach = Perry

Didn't press probably to save fouls and keep his players on the floor. Same with Perry i would imagine.  The Bobcats press did bother the Commodores in the game especially in the 3rd but it also put the Bobcats in foul trouble.
That’s all fine and dandy but you’re going to have to risk the foul trouble and press in order to beat them.  Like you said, the press bothered the Commodores.  Breathitt has the hosses to do that.  Not beating Perry in the half court set.

Agree with you but from what I've seen they don't go very deep on the bench. Sperry had 4 and was being subbed offense for defense in the 4th as it was. If they press more of the game then either Sperry has to sit for some time,be subbed offense for defense for more of the game or just not play aggressive defense and avoid fouling. In my opinion, you can't play non aggressive defense against the commodores because they move the ball and get a good shot too well for that.
If there is a rematch and Breathitt presses for more of the game then the fouls could become more of an issue. I thought they had a good game plan. Perry just capitalized in the first half and then found a way to beat the press down the stretch.
Breathitt didn’t beat Perry at Perry, they won’t beat them at The coliseum either. They couldn’t beat them on a dirt court in the back yard. Breathitt just isn’t as good as people think. Just because you can do a 360 between the legs dunk doesn’t mean your a good basketball player. The bobcats can’t play defense without fouling, they like to reach and slap at the ball without moving their feet. I honestly don’t know if this team is coachable. I agree with the above poster, I’ve always said Collins needs to be on the block and the offense needs to go thru him. If Collins refuses to play on the block I’d let him sit by me. Hoskins is not 6’6” folks. He’s maybe 6”3 with shoes on. I’ve noticed Hoskins will bully players he’s bigger than but when he meets a player like McKenzie he’s non existent. Turner just don’t have the drive. I think he was better his freshmen year. His freshmen year I said to myself he could play d-1 if he continues to get better. Now I don’t think he can play for Alice Lloyd. Sperrys out of control and easily mentally frustrated. Bellamy can shoot but that’s about it. With that being said, PCC will be in Lexington come march. One and done tho facing GRC.
  • WaterBoy15thregion
After seeing last night’s game, I can now conclude the 14th is by far the weakest region in the state. Both teams have hardly no offense and play with no heart whatsoever. I wouldn’t be surprised if either one of these teams gets beat out before the championship in the region.
Here's my take on the game last night. Perry was focused at the start of the game and executed their offense. Both teams had several turnovers, but Breathitt had too many unforced ones. Breathitt dug a hole they couldn't get out of in the first quarter. I thought sitting Hoskins helped Breathitt. Breathitt didn't move the ball very well and wanted to have too many one on one/two/three plays. Perry was patient with the ball and had better ball movement and shot selection. I though Makenzie was a difference maker in the game. Earlier in the year, Hoskins made Hazard's player look like his boy in the game. Last night, Hoskins was calling Makenzie daddy. I think playing at Breathitt helps them some, but not enough to beat Perry.
(02-16-2022, 12:26 PM)BiscuitNGravy Wrote: After seeing last night’s game, I can now conclude the 14th is by far the weakest region in the state. Both teams have hardly no offense and play with no heart whatsoever. I wouldn’t be surprised if either one of these teams gets beat out before the championship in the region.

Yes I agree Breathitt only made it to the championship of the all A losing to a better team in the championship and Perry 20 pieced a regional contender in knox central en route to winning the wymt. Very weak indeed.
Sounds like you may be butt hurt friend.

(02-16-2022, 12:23 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote: Breathitt didn’t beat Perry at Perry, they won’t beat them at The coliseum either. They couldn’t beat them on a dirt court in the back yard. Breathitt just isn’t as good as people think. Just because you can do a 360 between the legs dunk doesn’t mean your a good basketball player. The bobcats can’t play defense without fouling, they like to reach and slap at the ball without moving their feet. I honestly don’t know if this team is coachable. I agree with the above poster, I’ve always said Collins needs to be on the block and the offense needs to go thru him. If Collins refuses to play on the block I’d let him sit by me. Hoskins is not 6’6” folks. He’s maybe 6”3 with shoes on. I’ve noticed Hoskins will bully players he’s bigger than but when he meets a player like McKenzie he’s non existent. Turner just don’t have the drive. I think he was better his freshmen year. His freshmen year I said to myself he could play d-1 if he continues to get better. Now I don’t think he can play for Alice Lloyd. Sperrys out of control and easily mentally frustrated. Bellamy can shoot but that’s about it. With that being said, PCC will be in Lexington come march. One and done tho facing GRC.

Tough draw most definitely but not impossible. Grc is a favorite but not a lock to win the 10th. That tournament will be played on a neutral site with a capacity far smaller than any of the front runners are used to limiting the crowd and the atmosphere that may play into the outcome. Mason county is capable of beating grc and in a tournament setting anything is possible. PCC can beat Mason on a neutral floor.
PCC played GRC in a tournament at Lex catholic over the summer and was within a couple of baskets under 2 minutes before falling by 12. Stranger things have happened.
So out of my entire assessment you took the last sentence about GRC. GRC will beat Perry 20 on that college floor. So much bigger, they will run them out of the gym