Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 30 Russellville 27 (1A State Championship Game)
Final from Lexington. Fantastic game!

Golden ball #6 headed back to Pikeville. 

Congratulations Panthers!
[-] The following 1 user Likes nemo's post:
  • Westside
Sounds like an incredible game! Can’t wait to watch on film.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Finally an even matched game.
Field goal was big before halftime!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes bac2369's post:
  • PHSFOREVER1
I hope for the sake of the rest of the games that a lot of the posters were correct in this being the biggest margin of victory this weekend.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoShamBo's post:
  • Glory_Days, Walt Longmire
Congrats Pikeville! Very entertaining football game. Russellville did a great job showing not only that they belonged in the championship, but had a shot to win it at the end.
This game was MUCH closer than I expected.  Congrats to Pikeville.  Coach McNamee ties Pikeville coaching legend Hillard Howard with 3 state titles.
Final game stats >

http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/arch...?id=367097
(12-03-2021, 04:33 PM)bac2369 Wrote: Field goal was big before halftime!!!

True and then the ensuing kickoff return to 10 the Pikeville 10 yardline that lead to a touchdown with no time on the clock was almost as big.
I figured Pikeville would roll and at one point looked like they would. But i figured the 3 score lead would be hard to over come for RVille. That being said, the RPI worked. These were the 2 best teams by a good bit. Raceland, Hazard, Paintsville, have a ways to go to be at this level. To me the biggest difference in these 2 and the rest is their strength among their skill kids. Athletes are one thing, but STRONG atheletes are another. These 2 had that in spades. Very goid game.
(12-03-2021, 04:36 PM)nemo Wrote: Final game stats >

http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/arch...?id=367097

With the way he was playing, how does Jaquis Todd only get 4 touches?
[-] The following 3 users Like RoShamBo's post:
  • BoondockSaint, Josiewales, rookie57
Pikeville dominates the first half, but gives up a late score to make it 30-20 at the half. Russellville D dominates the second half and scores to make it 30-27. Then Russellville starts at their own 7 and drives to the Pikeville 18 and PHS holds and then picks up their only first down of the second half to seal it. Congrats to Coach Mac!
(12-03-2021, 04:33 PM)bac2369 Wrote: Field goal was big before halftime!!!
The FG was big but then Pikeville turned right around and let Rushville run the kickoff back to set up a score. So you can make an argument the fg helped Russellville. If the fg is missed most likely Russellville doesn't score and goes into halftime down 14 instead of 10. These were definitely the 2 best teams in 1a
Congratulations Pikeville! Sounds like one hell of a ball game.
Huge play be Derossett to force the fumble on 3rd down and make it 4th and 22.

Russellville is really good. They made adjustments and settled into the game and just outplayed Pikeville most of the second half. However, like great teams do, Pikeville makes the plays when they had to. Hats off to both teams on a great season and a great state championship game.

Woodward for R’ville is a stud WR. He and Birchfield were the best two players on the field in this one, in my opinion.

Congrats Pikeville!
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Panther Thunder
Russellville's lack of kicking prowess hurt them - punts, PATs, FGs. Not having that option hurt them when they could have tied the game with a 32 yd FG
Congrats to both teams in a hard fought game. Really proud of Russellville, as many thought they would get blown out.
Russellville had some really nice players but seemed to have some bad attitudes to go along with that. Body language shows a lot in my opinion. Pikeville struggled with their speed and making tackles but was still able to get the job done.

Very likely that Pikeville repeats next year also!
Pikeville's Blake Birchfield is the game MVP.
30 rush atts., 179 net yds (6 ypc), and 2 TDs.

Have yourself a game son!
  • Patriot1
Based on what I watched, it is my opinion that Pikeville let them hang around. Very, very uncharacteristic arm tackling attempts cost Pikeville 3 TD’s by Russellville. Who’s to say they wouldn’t have scored anyway? We’ll never know. I just don’t feel like Pikeville played their best game and Russellville did. I will give credit to the Russellville defense. They buckled down in the second half and shut Pikeville’s offense out.

Congrats Pikeville on winning number 6 and bringing another one back to the mountains.
Pikeville Panthers - 2021 KHSAA Football 1A State Champions.

Photo credit Troy Howell (Twitter)

Thumbnail(s)

• Big Five-0-
Apologies to a Raceland, but the two best 1A teams in the state played today. Props to Russellville! Congrats to my Pikeville Panthers! #6!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes PHSFOREVER1's post:
  • Big Five-0-
I agree the best 2 played for the title
Congratulations to Pikeville. Great season for Russellville as well.
They aren’t all pretty! Take them however you can get ‘em! HAIL PIKEVILLE! Starting a new hand. SIX!
[-] The following 3 users Like Panther Thunder's post:
  • Big Five-0-, BlackcatAlum, PHSFOREVER1
(12-03-2021, 05:47 PM)Redneck Wrote: Based on what I watched, it is my opinion that Pikeville let them hang around.  Very, very uncharacteristic arm tackling attempts cost Pikeville 3 TD’s by Russellville. Who’s to say they wouldn’t have scored anyway? We’ll never know. I just don’t feel like Pikeville played their best game and Russellville did. I will give credit to the Russellville defense. They buckled down in the second half and shut Pikeville’s offense out.

Congrats Pikeville on winning number 6 and bringing another one back to the mountains.
I agree with you 100%. Very poor arm tackling by pikeville. they allowed russellville to hang around too long.pikeville played this game just good enough to win. but hey i understand you cant played every game like you did against raceland. congrats to pikeville and russellville on a year you will never forget.
Congratulations Panthers!
(12-03-2021, 05:45 PM)nemo Wrote: Pikeville's Blake Birchfield is the game MVP.
30 rush atts., 179 net yds (6 ypc), and 2 TDs.

Have yourself a game son!

Birchfield has been the man all year for Pikeville
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
We’re forgetting that Russellville had quite a few Seniors that were Seniors last year and should have graduated. You take those guys away, Russellville doesn’t make the finals IMO. And before anyone says it, that’s not the same as your typical “hold backs.” Staying back in grades 5-8 are completely different than staying back when you’re 18 years old.
Way to go PANTHERS!! Title #6 coming home to PIKEVILLE!!

Congrats to Russellville...you gotta give them props they battled Pikeville and definitely proved that the 2 best teams in Class A met for the state title this year.

Enjoy thus one for a while and then it's time to start getting ready for #7 next December!!