Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Betsy Layne 79 Clay County 50 (Scrimmage)
Brady Robinson 26
Andrew Kidd 20

Jordan Frazier is still not playing for Betsy Layne following his ACL surgery but the progression is good they’ve said for him to be back soon.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Blue_Bird96
Once Frazier come backs Betsy Layne will be a really tough team to deal with in the 15th. They have a lot of athleticism all over the court.
How did Clay look?
Clay didn’t look good at all
(11-21-2021, 10:08 AM)BUFFALO Wrote: How did Clay look?

Not like your normal Clay County team
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Not up to traditional Clay, gotta feel bad for Tate Rice he does it all on the Court and the football field.
No one could look very good losing by 30. What a travesty in Manchester that no one seems to care about.
(11-22-2021, 02:54 AM)Gold River Wrote:
Not up to traditional Clay, gotta feel bad for Tate Rice he does it all on the Court and the football field.
Clay has never been this down and it all starts with who is in charge.  Clay would be better off letting the JV coach take over the helm for Gray and take their beatings this year in order to prepare for next season.....Hibbard is a good X's & O coach.....I've said it for 5 years......as long as Gray is in charge Clay is doomed and everyone in the county knows it but nobody has the testicular fortitude to do anything about it.   As far as Rice goes from what I have heard from several teammates in both sports he is a very selfish player and for the positions he plays that isn't what you want in a leader.  I don't know the kid or anything about him....just what I've heard.  I think he has a nice arm in football but is young and inconsistent.
Fodder for thought.

First I have no issues with Gray, he's just not proving very effective guiding a basketball program, nothing personal.

Clay didn't get where they are overnight, it took some pivotal decisions and planning that started with the refusal to work with Marcum when he wanted protection/contract for his job. Rumors in his last season were exploding around the 13th that Marcum would be let go at the first opportunity or losing season, he was in rebuild mode and knew he'd have a couple tough years. The same Clay administrators who refused Marcum's request are responsible for every decision that's been made since, the proof is in the pudding, absolutely no refuting that. I've heard Clay don't do contracts for coaches not even coach Keith had a contract, well Keith ran it all, he didn't need protection from leadership, the leadership a few decades ago had the best interest of the program in mind, the financial existence of a few folks wasn't part of the equation.

I wonder what the Clay Co. team's results would have been in past years had Coach Marcum been given the contract to protect him over a few rebuild years he wanted to protect him from the political machine now in control? If anyone from Clay Co. can prove me wrong please do so, and explain what's happened to the Clay Co. basketball programs both boys & girls.

I could be completely wrong; the economical situation of Clay families may be responsible, so many Clay families have moved away for work, I know school enrollment has dropped significantly over the years.
People can say and think what they want....but if 6 years has went by and people continue to bring up Marcum....You would think someone would swallow their pride and ego and try to fix the program.  Not saying bring him back but find a candidate that can do a better job than Gray.
Gray will be the coach as long as he wants to be. The chairman of the school board works for him. Gray signs his paychecks. The chairman of the boards son works for him. He signs his paychecks. That's some power.
(11-29-2021, 12:57 PM)BUFFALO Wrote: Gray  will be the coach as long as he wants to be. The chairman of the school board works for him. Gray signs his paychecks. The chairman of the boards son works for him. He signs his paychecks. That's some power.

Wow. Didn't know that. There's definitely some political bullshittery going on over there. Damn shame that politics has to tarnish a legendary program. Keith must be rolling over.

For the record, I've never felt like Gray was a bad coach but, then again, results are what matter and they haven't been stellar, at least by CC standards.
(11-29-2021, 07:38 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(11-29-2021, 12:57 PM)BUFFALO Wrote: Gray  will be the coach as long as he wants to be. The chairman of the school board works for him. Gray signs his paychecks. The chairman of the boards son works for him. He signs his paychecks. That's some power.

Wow. Didn't know that. There's definitely some political bullshittery going on over there. Damn shame that politics has to tarnish a legendary program. Keith must be rolling over.

For the record, I've never felt like Gray was a bad coach but, then again, results are what matter and they haven't been stellar, at least by CC standards.
A good quality in a coach is to be able to make in game adjustments and Gray has proven he just isn't capable of doing so.  This is why he is struggles against coaches like Brad Sizemore from Bell....because they throw numerous things at him during games and things fall a part.  Clays program as a whole is falling apart because everything was put into the group that just graduated and nothing was prepared for the future......add on kids leaving or not playing because they have made it known they don't want to play for Gray and this puts up where we are today.  Clay isn't a top 10 team in the region and will struggle to beat the mediocre teams in the Region which in my lifetime has never happened.  Put this on the coach, put this on the administration, put this on whoever you want but this is where we are and nothing is being done about it.
At least people are finally posting the TRUTH on here for all to read...the chairman of the board of edu. and his son working for the newspaper which is run by Gray. On top of that, most people that know Gray understand he has an ego that is of astronomical proportions. He loves every minute of the spotlight of being coach no matter how negative the attention may be. I'm also shocked no one asks about his playing experience in HS or college.
(11-30-2021, 05:42 PM)nedreader Wrote: At least people are finally posting the TRUTH on here for all to read...the chairman of the board of edu.  and his son working for the newspaper which is run by Gray.  On top of that, most people that know Gray understand he has an ego that is of astronomical proportions.  He loves every minute of the spotlight of being coach no matter how negative the attention may be.  I'm also shocked no one asks about his playing experience in HS or college.

I'll ask. Was he a stud player?  Did he play at all?
(11-30-2021, 05:42 PM)nedreader Wrote: At least people are finally posting the TRUTH on here for all to read...the chairman of the board of edu.  and his son working for the newspaper which is run by Gray.  On top of that, most people that know Gray understand he has an ego that is of astronomical proportions.  He loves every minute of the spotlight of being coach no matter how negative the attention may be.  I'm also shocked no one asks about his playing experience in HS or college.
I really don't think Gray's playing experience has anything to do with it. None of these guys who coach girls BB played girls BB.
(12-01-2021, 10:23 PM)BUFFALO Wrote:
I really don't think Gray's playing experience has anything to do with it. None of these guys who coach girls BB played girls BB.

Big Grin I have to agree with that. I also know some people who never played the sport they coach and they do a heck of a job.
Thanks Buffalo and Bull got out for taking the bait and upholding Gray. I know prior playing experience isn’t a requirement for coaching success BUT let’s face it, what are Gray’s qualifications for being head coach of what used to be the best program in the mountains? Honestly, if we laid out resumes of the other 13th region coaches, what would Gray’s look like compared to them simply looking at prior playing and coaching experience. If Valentine’s resume shows he was a former college assistant at Transylvania and head coach at LCA and Gray’s shows he was head coach at Horse Creek Elementary and Hacker Elementary, which one does an objective administrator pick? The joke is on the people that support and hired Gray and it will continue to be that way. They will support him no matter how foolish they look or he looks. When will regional wins start to matter?
Maybe nobody else wants to coach at Clay. I mean really, who’d want to live in Manchester? Does it even pay that well? Maybe the talent pool has dried up. It happens sometimes. Would Perry Central be very good if they didn’t have 4 or 5 repeat Seniors? Probably not. Clays traditionally better than Perry in basketball but sometimes the well goes dry. Blame it on whoever ya want but the game has evolved in Eastern Ky over the past 10 years. Everyone is good now it seems.
(12-02-2021, 10:24 AM)nedreader Wrote: Thanks Buffalo and Bull got out for taking the bait and upholding Gray.  I know prior playing experience isn’t a requirement for coaching success BUT let’s face it, what are Gray’s qualifications for being head coach of what used to be the best program in the mountains?  Honestly, if we laid out resumes of the other 13th region coaches, what would Gray’s look like compared to them simply looking at prior playing and coaching experience.  If Valentine’s resume shows he was a former college assistant at Transylvania and head coach at LCA and Gray’s shows he was head coach at Horse Creek Elementary and Hacker Elementary, which one does an objective administrator pick?  The joke is on the people that support and hired Gray and it will continue to be that way.  They will support him no matter how foolish they look or he looks.  When will regional wins start to matter?

I'm not upholding Glenn Gray. Nedeader. I like Glenn as a person but he is no coach. He should have stuck to girls refereeing. If my memory serves me right, he coached the boys before and quit during the season before he got it this time. I knew Clay was in trouble when Robert told me what he was asking for and he knew what the outcome would be. Robert had that program going in the direction that everyone could be proud of. He understood the talent coming up and knew they would be very competitive and have a chance to make big runs in the sweet 16. I do know some coaches though that are very good and have never played. I would like to see a former player though under Bobby Keith who understands the program, take it. Run a actual offense, and make the boys rebound and play defense again.