Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville Ruling 59th Again??
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:They lost their whole inside game. All they have now is guards. They will be hurting on the boards and in the paint.

You don't need a big inside game to win the 15th Region. Teams have shown that before, and SV has shown that before such as in 2002 and 2003. They had Phillip Akers but he wasn't a "big" big man, but just quick and had some nice moves in the post. You don't need that inside game to win this region.

BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Ok, let me ask this, besides this last season, when was the last time Valley didnt win either the 15th all A, the 59th district or the 15th region tourney? I am not saying Pikeville is going to dominate Valley. But I also dont see Valley dominating the district or region like they have the last 4 or 5 years. Any team is beatable. Now, more than ever.

It's been a long time, but who cares? It's one season. Why do you have to act like it's going to be a consistent matter now just because of what happened last season? They beat what was considered the two favorities going into the tournament last season in Paintsville and Belfry and the games they lost in the region were by like an average of 2.5 points or something. All things considered SV wasn't that bad of a team last year, and they showed how good SV basketball really is when it counts, and that's in the Regional tournament. They lost 3 or 4 starters from the year before last and still went to the Regional Championship game. SV Baskeball will be fine, but they are still considered top dog in the 59th. They have a 44-6 record in the district since the 2000 season. That doesn't change overnight because Pikeville snuck up and won themselves a district title.
alfus21 Wrote:You don't need a big inside game to win the 15th Region. Teams have shown that before, and SV has shown that before such as in 2002 and 2003. They had Phillip Akers but he wasn't a "big" big man, but just quick and had some nice moves in the post. You don't need that inside game to win this region.

It's been a long time, but who cares? It's one season. Why do you have to act like it's going to be a consistent matter now just because of what happened last season? They beat what was considered the two favorities going into the tournament last season in Paintsville and Belfry and the games they lost in the region were by like an average of 2.5 points or something. All things considered SV wasn't that bad of a team last year, and they showed how good SV basketball really is when it counts, and that's in the Regional tournament. They lost 3 or 4 starters from the year before last and still went to the Regional Championship game. SV Baskeball will be fine, but they are still considered top dog in the 59th. They have a 44-6 record in the district since the 2000 season. That doesn't change overnight because Pikeville snuck up and won themselves a district title.

I agree, you can win this region without a inside game, but having boards helps alot.

Last season was just one season. But I think even you will agree Alfus that Valleys dominance in basketball isnt what it used to be. So what makes you think that last seson was a fluke. You said yourself that all things considered Valley did good last season. So on the other hand, you have to say Pikeville did also. They lost to the same team that Valley did by the same margin. At the start of last season, Valley was head and shoulders above everyone in the district. The longer the season went on, they lost some of it along the way. If Pikeville and Valley would have had 4 games at the end of the season last year, it would have been a toss up.To me, to say just because it is Valley and they will always be the number one team in the area is just nonsense. If that is what the players thinks, then maybe they should be getting used to second place.

If you would have watched the district championship game last season, you would know that Pikeville just wanted the game more and did what they had to do to take the W. Valley got outplayed in districts last year plain and simple. That 44-6 record looks pretty good. But that is just it, it is in the past. Their record with people still playing is SV 7-2, Pikeville 6-2. Take away the extra game that the powerhouse Valley schedules against David, then their district records where the same last season, with most of all players on both teams returning. How is that so dominating?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Take away the extra game that the powerhouse Valley schedules against David, then their district records where the same last season, with most of all players on both teams returning. How is that so dominating?

Shelby Valley, Pikeville, and East Ridge each play David twice during the regular season. Shelby Valley won the #1 seed for the district, which placed them against the #4 seed David. You try to make it sound like SV scheduled David an extra game to up their district record. Rolleyes

And for the record, that 44-6 record that SV has compiled over the past few seasons didn't include David until this past season. Those other wins came over the Warriors and your mighty Panthers. :thumpsup:
I just remember a few years back Pikeville ruled the area, then I am sure some people said, "it is just one year, it doesnt mean anything". You think so?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Mr.Baseball2 Wrote:Yea I dont know bout this thread this is very false i mean how many times had pikeville won district in basket ball in like the past 10 years........they just had a good game this past season but i think Valley will take it this coming season!
Here is your answer about the past 10 years........

59th District Tournament Winners (past 10 years)
97-Pikeville
98-Pike Central
99-Pikeville
00-Pikeville
01-Shelby Valley
02-Shelby Valley
03-East Ridge
04-East Ridge
05-Shelby Valley
06-Pikeville

59th Titles in this span.....
Pikeville- 4 Shelby Valley-3 East Ridge-2 PC-1

The original question is still a valid one! Is Pikeville set to get on another roll in the 59th? SV does have a very good regular season district record but haven't faired so well in the post season. Pikeville also won it in 95 and 96 so that makes them winning the 59th 6 out of the past 12 years. Not too bad for the smallest school in the district.
alfus21 Wrote:You don't need a big inside game to win the 15th Region. Teams have shown that before, and SV has shown that before such as in 2002 and 2003. They had Phillip Akers but he wasn't a "big" big man, but just quick and had some nice moves in the post. You don't need that inside game to win this region.

Completely TRUE
NYY10 Wrote:Completely TRUE
No it's not!!! You Valley dwellers are clueless!!
bball fan Wrote:No it's not!!! You Valley dwellers are clueless!!

Clueless.....OK,just wait till this season,Im sure Valley will beat Pikeville both games in the season and in District and I think ER will beat you all to,Can't stand Pikeville fans, they think they are the best in everything and know everything when THEY DONT
NYY10 Wrote:Clueless.....OK,just wait till this season,Im sure Valley will beat Pikeville both games in the season and in District and I think ER will beat you all to,Can't stand Pikeville fans, they think they are the best in everything and know everything when THEY DONT

Is that like saying just because Valley is Valley, they will win? No, Pikeville does NOT think they are the best in everything. At the start of the season next, Valley is always better than Pikeville. Pikeville plays with most of their players only have been in basketball practice for a few days. As the season goes along, Pikeville gets better. Valley pretty much stays the same. I will say that this past season, Pikeville did good because all those high scoring teams gets frustrated when the score is down in the low to mid 40's because of the defense that is played on them.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Pikeville did good because all those high scoring teams gets frustrated when the score is down in the low to mid 40's because of the defense that is played on them.

One Pikeville assistant put it like this. He said, "if you can't play, then don't let the other team." Translation: If you don't have many skilled basketball players, then make the game a physical one to take the other team's skill and athleticism away from them.

Not necessarily a fun thing to watch, but a good coaching move by Bart Williams...
Can we throw in Track? Pikeville boys dominate ER and SV in weekly meets along with the girls winning most of those meets too (and I believe the losses come against non SV/ER teams)

Or Volleyball -- not sure about this but needs to be looked at. All I know is the Belfry controls this sport but they arn't in the schools that are being talked about.

Tennis -- anyone know anything about this?

Golf -- Take pikeville any day of the week

Football -- I know you can't really put this in there because of the different classes and not playing each other....but lets get real here -- Pikeville

Cross Country -- Pikeville in Boys -- not sure about girls, All 3 schools have had some good runners in the past

Baseball -- Pikeville, I mean lost 7 starters and still won district.

Softball -- Pikeville/SV are way too close to call in this one IMO

Basketball -- Boys: SV until they start to lose more in district but they arn't as dominate as they were the past couple of years with Friend, Kiser, Tackett and crew.
--Girls: SV has controled this as well

I think I covered everything. If you look at ALL sports I think that you would say that Pikeville does have the advantage between the 3 (well 4) 59th district basketball teams. Someone finds a way to show me how I am wrong then have at it
The King Wrote:One Pikeville assistant put it like this. He said, "if you can't play, then don't let the other team." Translation: If you don't have many skilled basketball players, then make the game a physical one to take the other team's skill and athleticism away from them.

Not necessarily a fun thing to watch, but a good coaching move by Bart Williams...
Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to win. Like you said this was a good move and as pointed out earlier, Pikeville got better over the season (with moves such as this) as others stayed the same. Players arn't everything it takes coaches too as shown here.
Preseason, Pikeville was picked to be right above David and Piarist. At the end of the season, they won district, lost by three points to the regional champs. All this after one year under Bart, Todd, and Lee. That should be a sign of things to come after one year of a new coaching style. Next season, expect the same defense but with Pikeville having a running game to go along with it too.
Beef Wrote:Football -- I know you can't really put this in there because of the different classes and not playing each other....but lets get real here -- Pikeville

I still dont understand how SV is in class AA in football, but only in single A in basketball.

And Beef, you forgot one of the most importiant contests. Academic meets.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I still dont understand how SV is in class AA in football, but only in single A in basketball.

Is that sarcasm? If your being serious, Pikeville is much better but Pikeville is more known for their academics than surrounding schools, no offense to anyone.

Pikeville fans are no more arrogant than Valley fans. You cant assume you will win district since youve won it the past few seasons. Pikeville has a quality coach who teaches the game, Booher doesnt. That's how Pikeville is closing the gap.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I still dont understand how SV is in class AA in football, but only in single A in basketball.

That's a simple one....Football is KHSAA where as basketball/baseball/all other All-A Events are put on by an outside organization that is not controled by the KHSAA therefore they make their own rules and standards to follow.
youknowwhoibe Wrote:Is that sarcasm? If your being serious, Pikeville is much better but Pikeville is more known for their academics than surrounding schools, no offense to anyone.
I believe this is what PHS strives to be known for more than anything. Academics are #1 there way ahead of anything else :1:
Beef Wrote:I believe this is what PHS strives to be known for more than anything. Academics are #1 there way ahead of anything else :1:

I think it is more importiant than what you do on a court. Ball careers end way to soon in a persons life to make it the most importiant thing in schools.
youknowwhoibe Wrote:Is that sarcasm? If your being serious, Pikeville is much better but Pikeville is more known for their academics than surrounding schools, no offense to anyone.

Pikeville fans are no more arrogant than Valley fans. You cant assume you will win district since youve won it the past few seasons. Pikeville has a quality coach who teaches the game, Booher doesnt. That's how Pikeville is closing the gap.

A couple years ago, Valley was beating Pikeville by 15-20 a game. So, even if Pikeville looses games to Valley by 4 or 5, the dominance is gone. If Pikeville wins a game or two over them, Then I know it would be gone. I do not know if Pikeville will beat SV next year. But as long as they are not getting blown out and it is a game that Valley has to play hard the whole game for, then Valleys dominance is over for a while.
Im going East Ridge this year, all you all can flame me - you will see.
Cameron Crazy Wrote:Im going East Ridge this year, all you all can flame me - you will see.
Going with them to be the best in all sports or just basketball?
Bart still has his work cut out for him. Valley looks to be the team to beat in the region for years to come. Good luck to the Panthers.
The almighty dollar has much to do with the success the the little maroon school has...
The King Wrote:The almighty dollar has much to do with the success the the little maroon school has...

I am trying to figure out this statement. Does it mean because of stuff like Pikevilles weight room, training aids, ect?
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I am trying to figure out this statement. Does it mean because of stuff like Pikevilles weight room, training aids, ect?

Yea it does,and alot of money
Facilities, little league programs, Cal Ripken programs, etc... Many county schools don't even have the facilities to support programs for sports programs for younger kids...
If that is the case, then the dollar has much to do with all successful programs.
The King Wrote:Facilities, little league programs, Cal Ripken programs, etc... Many county schools don't even have the facilities to support programs for sports programs for younger kids...
Very untrue statement!!!!! The Pike Co. Schools have just as good or not better facilities than Pikeville.
*Pikeville only has one gym for grades K-12 and their little league programs. All county high schools have at least two gyms, some have more.
*Two of the five county football fields will have field turf like Pikeville's next season, and 4 of the 5 county schools have very nice football stadiums. (Phelps is the only one that has a poor facility for football).
*Pike Central, Shelby Valley, East Ridge, and Belfry have very, very nice baseball fields. Probably as nice as Pikeville if you don't count the turf , which some say isn't as good as natural grass for baseball.

So we don't want to hear your sad story that Pikeville is better because of the $$$$$$$$$$. That don't cut it anymore. Find another excuse for Pike Co. schools athletic programs!!!!!!
NYY10 Wrote:Yea it does,and alot of money

Quit whining about the money.....Panther$ Rule!!

:letsparty
Some schools prefer to spend their money on big screen tv's, playstations, popcorn machines and stuff for their dressing rooms. So the county schools have money to spend if they wanted to.