Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg '01 vs Belfry '04
Do the Blackcats fair any better in this hypothetical scenario?
No. See my other post in P'burg 01 vs Belfry 03. Still Belfry's game to lose. Haywood and Derosset is what it ends up and that is the same as Haywood vs nobody.
Matney's Prodigey Wrote:No. See my other post in P'burg 01 vs Belfry 03. Still Belfry's game to lose. Haywood and Derosset is what it ends up and that is the same as Haywood vs nobody.

I read your other post and thats what got me thinking about these other games.

I agree with you, and I think that the gap in ability with Howard & Jones between the rest of the players becomes even greater in this matchup. Those two really led Belfry to the 2nd of their State Titles almost single-handedly.

That isn't a slight to the rest of the Belfry team. Guys like Gary Childers, Michael Hackney, Zach Staton, Matt Smith, Aaron Chapman, Justin Gooslin, etc., were great high school football players. But during Howard & Jones senior year, it was never a doubt who the best two football players on the field were...if you asked me anyway.
Still Belfry.
Belfry
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Prestonsburg was much more physical than this '04 Pirate team pburg by as much as 20 points !
No way they could stop Doug or David, the coaching is better at Belfry.
BurntTires Wrote:No way they could stop Doug or David, the coaching is better at Belfry.

That is a big part of it.

:thumpsup:
BurntTires Wrote:No way they could stop Doug or David.

Smile 01' is one of the best football teams I've seen play in person. Doug and David were good ball players, but this team lived to hurt people on the field. The only shot that I see Belfry beating this team is in the air, and they didn't have a passing game. Prestonsburg by 20 or more.
blackcat_student Wrote:Prestonsburg was much more physical than this '04 Pirate team pburg by as much as 20 points !

20 points?? are you serious?? David Jones is one of the 2 fastest guys ive seen in high school pads. Doug Howard was an absolute machine! 01 Pburg would get smoked...
corndog23 Wrote:20 points?? are you serious?? David Jones is one of the 2 fastest guys ive seen in high school pads. Doug Howard was an absolute machine! 01 Pburg would get smoked...
David would have to get past the front line in order for him to break loose and I just don't see that happening. P-burg in '01 was smash mouth.
BCF4L Wrote:David would have to get past the front line in order for him to break loose and I just don't see that happening. P-burg in '01 was smash mouth.

P'burg was not that smash mouthed. They were more of an athletic style team capable of making the big plays. Now they did have some defensive players that brought the lumber when they hit you, but P'burg always has that. A smash mouth team is a team keeps coming at you in the same physical style (Belfry, Russell, Bell Co., Ironton, Saint Xavier, Bowling Green, etc). P'burg was not that. They were more of get Slone and Fannin out on the corner and let them play. Let Willis throw it to one of the super athletic recievers and try to isolate their athletes against yours. Belfry was smash mouth. P'burg was not. They were a very good team, but with Derosset calling the shots P'burg could not score 30 points on Belfry, much less beat Belfry by that score. Haywood would out coach Derosset (as always) and Belfry would come away the winner.
If Prestonsburg wasn't smash mouth, then I've never seen a team like it.
corndog23 Wrote:20 points?? are you serious?? David Jones is one of the 2 fastest guys ive seen in high school pads. Doug Howard was an absolute machine! 01 Pburg would get smoked...

You obviously didn't see this team play. I played against Belfry in 03' and 04'. Prestonsburg wins hands down.
Even better topic
Pikeville'87 vs both these teams...at the same time LOL!

true
PantherPride68 Wrote:Even better topic
Pikeville'87 vs both these teams...at the same time LOL!

Only a Panther supporter would have the gall to say something like this.Rolleyes
blackcat Wrote:You obviously didn't see this team play. I played against Belfry in 03' and 04'. Prestonsburg wins hands down.

Ill take MY word for it...
corndog23 Wrote:Ill take MY word for it...

:thumpsup:
I played against this Pburg team they were good but I honestly dont think they could beat Belfry. They hit well and casued fumbles because of the way Jonah was carrying the ball and it got in his head and started dropping them. But David and Doug holds onto the ball alot better. I still think Pburg 04 was better than Pburg 01. Pburg 04 would have won state if it wasnt for Belfry.
blackcat_student Wrote:Prestonsburg was much more physical than this '04 Pirate team pburg by as much as 20 points !

i agree 100 % with that
Belfry Wins Wrote:I played against this Pburg team they were good but I honestly dont think they could beat Belfry. They hit well and casued fumbles because of the way Jonah was carrying the ball and it got in his head and started dropping them. But David and Doug holds onto the ball alot better. I still think Pburg 04 was better than Pburg 01. Pburg 04 would have won state if it wasnt for Belfry.

That's true, but I haven't seen a Mountain team that matched Prestonsburg 01' agressiveness.
blackcat Wrote:That's true, but I haven't seen a Mountain team that matched Prestonsburg 01' agressiveness.

Smile Smile

You know what's really funny.......some overzealous Blackcat fans really want to argue a AA Runner-up squad against AA State Chamionship caliber teams.
Mr. Right Wrote:Smile Smile

You know what's really funny.......some overzealous Blackcat fans really want to argue a AA Runner-up squad against AA State Chamionship caliber teams.

Just because Belfry was state champs doesn't mean they were the better football team. The caliber of state champs changes every year. Not all of them are equal. Smile
Belfry by 14
Twitter: @tc_analytics

blackcat Wrote:Just because Belfry was state champs doesn't mean they were the better football team. The caliber of state champs changes every year. Not all of them are equal. Smile

How about we just say P.Burg was good, but not that good.

Make you fell any better???