Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Franklin-Simpson Punting?
Did anyone else think that kicking a field goal for punt was strange? What was that all about?
Future Wrote:Did anyone else think that kicking a field goal for punt was strange? What was that all about?

It’s a good question.

I was wondering that the HS rule used to be that a missed and unfielded punt went back to the twenty regardless of where it was kicked.

That’s the best rationale I could come up with.
Ryle did this years ago when coach Warner was there. They had a kid that could kick the ball about 60 plus yards easy (accuracy was hit or miss) but he could get it to the goal line, which in High school, once the ball cross the goal line it is dead.

Ryle would attempt field goals all the time and it was better than punting.
The HS rule is a missed FG is the same as a punt. If you miss a field goal and if it goes out of bounds before crossing the goal line the ball is spotted where the ball goes out of bounds. If you attempt a field goal and it doesn’t cross the goal line the ball is spotted where it is downed. The defense can return the field goal just like a punt.
barrel Wrote:The HS rule is a missed FG is the same as a punt. If you miss a field goal and if it goes out of bounds before crossing the goal line the ball is spotted where the ball goes out of bounds. If you attempt a field goal and it doesn’t cross the goal line the ball is spotted where it is downed. The defense can return the field goal just like a punt.

:Thumbs: Thanks for the clarification.
So could you punt through the uprights and get 3 points like a field goal.
Future Wrote:So could you punt through the uprights and get 3 points like a field goal.

No but you can drop kick for 3.
I don’t care what anyone says it was still the strangest punt I have ever seen.
I'd say Preston and staff had a reason but what a shocker to everyone. All kinds of people was second guessing but they walked out of there with a championship. Pretty smart if it works and in this case it did.
No it's just a different approach to the scrimmage kick. I'll admit I haven't saw that before, but it's still a scrimmage kick and thus a change of possession.
Real Badman Wrote:No it's just a different approach to the scrimmage kick. I'll admit I haven't saw that before, but it's still a scrimmage kick and thus a change of possession.

It's really rare, but I've heard of a few schools around the country who will do that. I don't really understand why, as opposed to punting, but there are a few who do it.
Maybe their punter is terrible or the long snapper for punts is risky. Either way a new one on me. Poor kicker will have the worst FG made % in history!
Most guys can place kick a ball further than they can punt. It’s also easier to directional kick. That kick will also turn end over end and bounce funny.
footballfever Wrote:No but you can drop kick for 3.

Why wouldn’t it be 3?
rookie57 Wrote:Why wouldn’t it be 3?

The rule has always been a FG or EP can only attempt for points via a placement kick or a drop kick. The rules been that way over 100 years. No exaggeration. :Thumbs:
So if they placement kick for a PUNT, and it goes through the goalposts, why wouldn’t it be 3?
rookie57 Wrote:So if they placement kick for a PUNT, and it goes through the goalposts, why wouldn’t it be 3?

It would be.

I thought you were referring to a punt. A placement kick or drop kick that goes through the uprights is a FG or EP. except if in a kickoff situation.
That’s how FS punted, so I was wondering, if they PUNTED that way and it went through the posts it’d be 3, right?
rookie57 Wrote:That’s how FS punted, so I was wondering, if they PUNTED that way and it went through the posts it’d be 3, right?

Yes. And in some of those cases a record. :Thumbs:
I thought Preston's choice to use the FG attempt as a punt was a genius move. It was far more familiar for the long snapper also, with well over 50 attempts on PAT's this season. With the weather conditions it was a great move. Never fear, though, it'll get banned soon enough or at least reworked. In 2016 we recovered an insane amount of onside kicks utilizing the pop up kick....3 in one game...and boom! The kick was banned the next year....I can see it happening.