Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Damien Harris Make The Best Choice?
As many of you may recall, during the 2014-15 recruiting season, a young running back out of Madison Southern was the talk of the state and much of the college football recruiting world. Damien Harris, although injured much of his senior year, was one of the top running backs in the country, and most major college programs, including UK, were beating a trail to southern Madison County to woo the fenom. When Damien Harris held his press conference to announce his college choice, WKYT televised it live, and UK defensive lineman, Matt Elam, attended the cermony as he and many others in the state thought for sure UK had landed the prize recruit. When Damien Harris made his announcement, many were shocked when he doned the Crimson Tide hat. For the first three seasons at Alabama, it looked like he had made the best choice as Alabama won two national championships and finished runner-up for another while UK was mediocre at best. He rushed for a 1,000 yards for two of those seasons as well. Fast forward to this season and while Alabama is again at the top of the college football world, for the first time since 2016 Harris did not start against Tennessee a couple weeks ago. As a matter of fact, he was 3rd string. While this may have been a disciplinary issue, at last check, he had 435 yard in the 2018 season. While all this is happening, UK has risen from mediocrity and sits at 7-1 on the season with their only loss being on the road at Texas A&M.

My question is this: Did Damien Harris make the best choice by signing with Alabama? Yes, it is hard to arguing saying he didn't, but let's look at things here. If he had signed with UK, it's very likely he would have been the feature back in his home state in a program with very little college football tradition instead of sharing a lot of playing time with a lot of other great backs on a team that has had many great backs in its very rich tradition. Damien Harris could have been a state hero in his very own home state, and it's quite possible UK would have been 8-0 and in the top 10, and who knows where things could have gone from there and what his legacy could have been. As it is, he isn't talked about much around here and it could be argued, college football relatively speaking. There is no question, he made a great choice in choosing Alabama, but did he make the BEST choice? What are your thoughts?
Hard to argue with the rings.
He’s still a hero around Berea. Everyone knows him that knows anything about football. He gets to play for one of the greatest coaches of all time at one of the most historic football schools, he will be playing on Sunday and that’s not to say he wouldn’t at UK but he knew his chances had to be better and couldn’t afford to risk it. He’s still the main go to back and starts every game. I honestly believe Damien is being saved for the playoffs, he’s probably the heaviest back like a Derrick Henry that will be able to carry the load plus he’s still more talented than the other backs with experience in these big games. I may be wrong about all this also Confusednicker: but going to bama can never be the wrong decision unless you’re a QB coming up with the talent they have and the talent coming from high school next year. The Jones kid behind Jalen hurts should run now haha.
He made a decision that was best for him and it worked out pretty well at Bama...Would have loved to see him at UK but we have done well with Benny...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OldJacket Wrote:He made a decision that was best for him and it worked out pretty well at Bama...Would have loved to see him at UK but we have done well with Benny...

I agree with this. I think he will go pro. He does have 2 rings. Benny has been fantastic with UK. I would like to see him mature and lay off the antics on the field and just play ball. But we know that Benny can run, he can block and he is from what we can see been a great team mate.

So good luck to Mr. Harris and good luck to Mr. Snell. It is what it is. Now beat Georgia and lay off the mouth

:devilflam
Without a doubt. The kids playing for Alabama
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I agree with you all and your arguments for the MOST part. Let me through a scenario at you all, and you all tell me if this would have changed your choice of you had been Damien Harris.

Let's say you had been Damien Harris in 2015 and you all not only had his options, you knew this type of magical season for UK was coming. Let's say would you have rather played for Bama as the case stands know or had the option of playing for a UK team that goes undefeated in the regular season, wins the SEC East and play Bama in the SEC title game?
he clearly didnt want to be at UK or he would hav esigned with UK
cadets1988 Wrote:he clearly didnt want to be at UK or he would hav esigned with UK

I agree. He didn't want to be at U.K,. or he would be. I'm just trying to look at things hypothetically and get some dialogue going with you all.
Don’t think he would have done well here . Benny has such success because of his YAC effort, best in the country at it. Harris made the best decision for him.