• 1(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry @ Pikeville 9/14
Battle of Pike County. Who ya got and why?
The Pirates have dominated the series most of this century winning 16 of the last 17 meetings, but Pikeville comes in loaded with skill and experience, and Connor Roberts and Jackson Hensley, and and and lol a bunch of really good players and a fantastic coaching staff. Belfry counters with a great offensive line and a 3 or 4 headed monster in the backfield led by Sr. QB Avery “don’t call me Kevin” Browning. Belfry’s D is quick and although at times undersized up front, very opportunistic. IMO, talent wise this is a virtual toss up with each team having slight advantages over the other. Should be a dandy at Pikeville. Most importantly, IMHO, each team needs pushed some by the other to see what they got for 4 quarters.
I think this will be one of the best games in this series in recent memory.

Pikeville has the ability to exploit Belfry's weaknesses for sure. Love what I have been seeing from Pikeville.

If Belfry brings their A-game they should be fine, but anything less then excellent execution and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Pikeville win this one.

I will say Belfry 35-30
Pikeville 28-21.
it will be interesting to see how well Belfry defends the pass.
pjdoug Wrote:it will be interesting to see how well Belfry defends the pass.

Certainly not Belfry's strong suit. Should be a good game.
Containment of Roberts may be just as important as pass coverage. His ability to hurt you with his legs and arm is deadly. He is a fantastic player.
I'm not going to make a prediction on this one. It's not knowable how good Belfry is after beating two bad teams and losing to Huntington. Pikeville is #20 and Belfry is #23 overall on latest Calpreps this morning but that won't get you a cup of coffee...
I do know if Pikeville gives Belfry field position in the kicking game that they gave Paintsville they have no shot. Also need some good rushing yards from someone else to go along with C. Roberts. All I want is a good game and no injuries for either team.
I think the same can be said about Pikeville, they really haven't played anyone yet for us to know how good they are. Paintsville did get beat badly at Frederick Douglas, but we won't know how Pikeville would have fared in a game against FD as they wouldn't play them this year. We will see how it all shakes out on Friday. Hope fr no injuries and a hard fought game.
If Pikeville can establish a running game besides the quarterback and not allow Belfry to begin their drives close to midfield they can pull off the upset. The talent gap at these two schools has closed a lot.

Belfry 22
Pikeville 20
To me it’s going to be about Pikeville d-line and linebackers against Belfry good offensive line. If Pikeville can somewhat hold up in the trenches they have a shot if not it’s going to be a long night. Belfry will play Belfry football and have those long possessions and control the clock. Pikeville offense has to take what Belfry gives them and sustain drives and use the clock in their favor. This game is another one of the rivalry games and that’s all it is. So go out and work on your game and improve from last week and learn from these game but stay focused because as much as both teams want to win this is not your goals for the season. As always GO PANTHERS!!!
This is going to be a great game! I’ll take Pikeville by a touchdown.
Belfry_99 Wrote:I think the same can be said about Pikeville, they really haven't played anyone yet for us to know how good they are. Paintsville did get beat badly at Frederick Douglas, but we won't know how Pikeville would have fared in a game against FD as they wouldn't play them this year. We will see how it all shakes out on Friday. Hope fr no injuries and a hard fought game.

Confusednicker:

Paintsville is top 5 Class A team. LCA is top 5 Class 2A team.
Pikeville is on a 4 game stretch vs. Paintsville, Belfry, Pt. Pleasant WV (#3 in WV Class 2A) and Hazard. So 4 very highly ranked teams in a row. I don't think they are dodging anybody lol.
jetpilot Wrote:Confusednicker:

Pikeville is on a 4 game stretch vs. Paintsville, Belfry, Pt. Pleasant WV (#3 in WV Class 2A) and Hazard. So 4 very highly ranked teams in a row. I don't think they are dodging anybody lol.

All I said was they wouldn't play Frederick Douglas, I was shocked to hear Coach Mac say that on the pre-game, that they didn't think it was a good matchup for them so that's why they didn't have a game last week, and thus the reason for the two open weeks.
There is no way Pikeville stops our run. Our O line will dominate, but our passing defense isn’t great either. If we contain the deep ball and punish the receivers on short yardage completions will will be fine. Pikeville will move the ball on us for sure, but can they capitalize in the red zone? This won’t be your typical 49-7 drubbing, so I predict 42-28.
Belfry_99 Wrote:All I said was they wouldn't play Frederick Douglas, I was shocked to hear Coach Mac say that on the pre-game, that they didn't think it was a good matchup for them so that's why they didn't have a game last week, and thus the reason for the two open weeks.

He was talking about Paintsville not Pikeville but it wouldn’t be a good match up for Pikeville either
Belfry_99 Wrote:All I said was they wouldn't play Frederick Douglas, I was shocked to hear Coach Mac say that on the pre-game, that they didn't think it was a good matchup for them so that's why they didn't have a game last week, and thus the reason for the two open weeks.
You’re just trying to stir the pot. Nice try!
jetpilot Wrote:Confusednicker:

They are as you say ranked fairly high, but neither team(LCA or Paintsville) is that good this year, although overall Paintsville is still fairly tough. Pikeville has done to them what a good team should. Belfry has done to the two teams they have beaten what they should. Schedule is a wash right now. Pikeville schedule is very good during this stretch, then it tails off big time at the end of the year.
Belfry & Pikeville fans, be thankful (even though you don't like each other) that this game still gets played.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Belfry & Pikeville fans, be thankful (even though you don't like each other) that this game still gets played.
I agree with you to some extent. Belfry is usually the top 3A school and Pikeville is normally near the top of their class in 1A. Really, it doesn’t benefit either team. Probably more beneficial to Pikeville playing up two classes. Belfry playing down two classes seems asinine, but at least against a 1A top team.
bucslover68 Wrote:They are as you say ranked fairly high, but neither team(LCA or Paintsville) is that good this year, although overall Paintsville is still fairly tough. Pikeville has done to them what a good team should. Belfry has done to the two teams they have beaten what they should. Schedule is a wash right now. Pikeville schedule is very good during this stretch, then it tails off big time at the end of the year.

Belfry’s tails off in the district games, no use bring up schedules the young men for Belfry and Pikeville play who is front of them
4everUK Wrote:I agree with you to some extent. Belfry is usually the top 3A school and Pikeville is normally near the top of their class in 1A. Really, it doesn’t benefit either team. Probably more beneficial to Pikeville playing up two classes. Belfry playing down two classes seems asinine, but at least against a 1A top team.

Sometimes 1A schools can teach you something about your weaknesses and play you tuff. Now there are many cases you right it don’t benefit neither team. Ask Corbin about their game and it will benefit them in the long run.Beechwood is a 1A powerhouse. Hopefully this will be a good game but we never know until they play the game, but as always GO PANTHERS!!
bucslover68 Wrote:They are as you say ranked fairly high, but neither team(LCA or Paintsville) is that good this year, although overall Paintsville is still fairly tough. Pikeville has done to them what a good team should. Belfry has done to the two teams they have beaten what they should. Schedule is a wash right now. Pikeville schedule is very good during this stretch, then it tails off big time at the end of the year.

Brother.....no need in trying to throw common logic toward Pikeville this week😂😂. We know what “this week” is to them. 😂😂😂
I think the physicality and grit of belfry will be the difference maker in this one. Pikeville will score on some passing plays. But belfry will just wear you down up front and then keep coming at you with speed in the backfield. I don’t know what the score will be. honestly I see belfry winning by 12-18 points.
COACHITALL Wrote:There is no way Pikeville stops our run. Our O line will dominate, but our passing defense isn’t great either. If we contain the deep ball and punish the receivers on short yardage completions will will be fine. Pikeville will move the ball on us for sure, but can they capitalize in the red zone? This won’t be your typical 49-7 drubbing, so I predict 42-28.

This guy is always eat up with it on here, so this is when I have to show up and point out to him that Pikeville wins the vast majority of athletic events vs. Belfry even though the student body is a fraction of the size and is 10x the academic school. I love the line from the old movie "Your name wouldn't happen to be D!CK, would it?"Confusedhh: If you want to pump your chest play up two classes and one of their top teams like we do and then get back to me after you get the running clock put on you.

Says the guy who has Floyd Central, Sheldon Clark, Lawrence Co and Pike Central coming up.
Coming from someone who don’t care either way. And I’m sure you all couldn’t care less what I think either. The schedule probably is a wash, you’re right. But most teams, at least mountain teams schedules do drop off towards the back end, and in district play. Pikeville, belfrys, ours, everyone pretty much except city schools. Aside from JC belfry doesn’t have a tough back end. But scheduling doesn’t mean anything for a game like this. And I think belfry will probably win this. Not because of school size and class and all of that. To me when you start getting into elite upper level teams, classes are pointless. They all dress about the same amount of kids. But I think belfry will win, and probably should because of their play style and physical play. Pikeville will score some points and I don’t think belfry will be able to completely stop the passing game. But belfry has one advantage, they run the ball so they have the ability to control the clock more to their advantage.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Brother.....no need in trying to throw common logic toward Pikeville this week😂😂. We know what “this week” is to them. 😂😂😂

OutlawJoseyWales you know that we have already had this debate about this game, it’s just game between two Pike County schools that have along history mostly in Belfry favor. Sure the young men want to win but it should have no affect on what both teams goals are. Help both teams get better, maybe Pikeville more than Belfry and show their staff things they need to work on. I live in Belfry and played for Belfry and you probably all ready know that but these is just a game to use to get better, well that’s what I believe anyway. So good luck to both teams hope for an injury free game for both but as always GO PANTHERS!!!
Belfry:
Offense - Belfry will try and control the clock and keep Pikeville’s offense off the field. They will run the ball because that is what they do....everyone knows that. They will throw the ball when they have to....Haywood 101.
Defense - Belfry will not bring all kinds of pressure. They will play to defend the pass and try and contain the QB Roberts and fly to him when he runs with the ball...assignment football is what they do best on defense.
Pikeville:
Offense - Pikeville will mix run with the pass and move the chains. They will also try and control the clock. Knowing that Belfry will try and key on Roberts, I look for Pikeville’s other athletes to have big games in this one. Quick hitters will loosen that Belfry defense up and Pikeville will find their groove.
Defensively - Pikeville will be able to run with Belfry and this may be the biggest advantage for the Panthers on defense. Coach Sullivan knows what to expect and how to stop it, as he’s proven in the past when he had the athletes. Pikeville will be praying that Belfry starts putting the ball in the air, that means their defensive scheme is working. IMO, the pressure will be on the interior LB’s for Pikeville. If they just have a solid game, it will make the difference in defense for the Panthers. If they play on their heels it could be a long night!
Keys to Game:
Belfry - Ball security! If they start turning the ball over, Pikeville WILL capitalize. Belfry will have to control the clock and keep the Pikeville offense and their QB off the field.
Pikeville - Win the field position battle! They must find a way to flip the field in their favor. Kickoff has to improve...can’t let Belfry start midfield, it puts too much stress on the defense. Keep the Belfry offense and Dixon off the field by controlling the clock.
Hound05 Wrote:Coming from someone who don’t care either way. And I’m sure you all couldn’t care less what I think either. The schedule probably is a wash, you’re right. But most teams, at least mountain teams schedules do drop off towards the back end, and in district play. Pikeville, belfrys, ours, everyone pretty much except city schools. Aside from JC belfry doesn’t have a tough back end. But scheduling doesn’t mean anything for a game like this. And I think belfry will probably win this. Not because of school size and class and all of that. To me when you start getting into elite upper level teams, classes are pointless. They all dress about the same amount of kids. But I think belfry will win, and probably should because of their play style and physical play. Pikeville will score some points and I don’t think belfry will be able to completely stop the passing game. But belfry has one advantage, they run the ball so they have the ability to control the clock more to their advantage.

Hound05 where did you get all that knowledge it couldn’t have been from Corbin, just kidding
  • 1(current)
  • Next