Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The pension bill and sports
I posted this in the baseball thread 1st but it made me think how will this workout in other areas long term:

Let me state for the record I am in full support of the teachers because they, and others, got a raw deal. It's a crap deal cooked up in the back kitchen and served to them by politicians that I hope by deer season are cleaning out their offices.

Now to the fallout that effects what we discuss on this site: sports. I see a lot of school closings daily for a long while. What is going to happen to the spring sports programs? Teams have multiple games per week scheduled. If schools are closed no one will be there to prepare fields, do paperwork and checks for umpires, work gates, drive buses, etc. There will not be any games.

Fast forward to the start of football in the summer. Will this have an effect on the upcoming season?
I don't think it will have any affect on sports whatsoever.
The only way i see it affecting sports is if a coach with a teaching poaition were to no longer have said teaching position.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:I posted this in the baseball thread 1st but it made me think how will this workout in other areas long term:

Let me state for the record I am in full support of the teachers because they, and others, got a raw deal. It's a crap deal cooked up in the back kitchen and served to them by politicians that I hope by deer season are cleaning out their offices.

Now to the fallout that effects what we discuss on this site: sports. I see a lot of school closings daily for a long while. What is going to happen to the spring sports programs? Teams have multiple games per week scheduled. If schools are closed no one will be there to prepare fields, do paperwork and checks for umpires, work gates, drive buses, etc. There will not be any games.

Fast forward to the start of football in the summer. Will this have an effect on the upcoming season?

What exactly is it that is so bad or has changed?
Pretty much the only difference I can tell from reading up on it is that you can't horde sick days anymore (no normal person can) and new teachers, not existing ones, have to enroll in a flexible spending plan.

To be honest, from an outsider's perspective it appears Bevin saved teachers retirement but that isn't what is being portrayed.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:What exactly is it that is so bad or has changed?
Pretty much the only difference I can tell from reading up on it is that you can't horde sick days anymore (no normal person can) and new teachers, not existing ones, have to enroll in a flexible spending plan.

To be honest, from an outsider's perspective it appears Bevin saved teachers retirement but that isn't what is being portrayed.

Correct, it doesn't fit the narrative.

Dems been draining the pension for years.
I mean are you going to view it as hoarding sick days or showing up to work? I show up to work everyday because if I don’t my kids aren’t going to learn. For me, it has nothing to do with hoarding/saving my sick days. I have a few personal days I can use for things I need to miss. If I don’t come to school, my kids don’t learn.
CoachNM0523 Wrote:I mean are you going to view it as hoarding sick days or showing up to work? I show up to work everyday because if I don’t my kids aren’t going to learn. For me, it has nothing to do with hoarding/saving my sick days. I have a few personal days I can use for things I need to miss. If I don’t come to school, my kids don’t learn.

Dear God you literally get off every single holiday, every weekend, and 3 or 4 straight months in the summer lol.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Dear God you literally get off every single holiday, every weekend, and 3 or 4 straight months in the summer lol.

What’s that have to do with anything about sick days..? Lol
CoachNM0523 Wrote:What’s that have to do with anything about sick days..? Lol

I understand everybody gets sick. Why not instead of a certain amount of sick days, you just call in when you get sick and bring in a valid doctor's excuse up to so many days. Since teachers get around 100 days off a year anyways, there's no need for sick time accruing.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I understand everybody gets sick. Why not instead of a certain amount of sick days, you just call in when you get sick and bring in a valid doctor's excuse up to so many days. Since teachers get around 100 days off a year anyways, there's no need for sick time accruing.

I’m in the minority of teachers who feel this way, and I’m sure it’s because I’ve not been in the profession for super long.. but the way I see it is that by the time I can retire there are going to be a lot of different governors come through that I’m sure will make a lot of different changes to the pension and retirement for teachers. There’s no reason for me to get worked up about it now because it’ll be awhile before I can retire anyways. My comment was directed more towards the sick day thing, because I believe what you’ll see happen is as a way to “get back” at the governor you’re going to see teachers take the amount of sick days they’re given or have accrued thus far, and in turn a Few things will happen. You’ll have instances like with the FCPS where so many people call in there’s not enough subs. You’ll have to pay the teacher as well as the sub. You’ll have kids being robbed of their learning because very few subs come in and teach. They’re more there as a baby sitter. But for me, I get paid to come in and teach.. so I come in and teach. I do the job everyday that I was hired to. If I wanna take a day off to go watch the sweet 16, or the football championships, I’ll take a personal day.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Dear God you literally get off every single holiday, every weekend, and 3 or 4 straight months in the summer lol.

Let me assure you the responsibilities of the vast majority of teachers do not end when the final bell rings to end the day and certainly don't end when it's "summer break." Until you've actually spent time as a classroom teacher it's hard to understand.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Let me assure you the responsibilities of the vast majority of teachers do not end when the final bell rings to end the day and certainly don't end when it's "summer break." Until you've actually spent time as a classroom teacher it's hard to understand.

I don't think anybody disagrees that it does. It's difficult to be against those protesting publicly without being taken for an ass, but I still think it should be said.
There's definitely a sufficient amount of days off if your a teacher IMO
The sick days accruing are a part of the inviolable contract. It aids in retirement because teachers don't pay in and have social security when they turn 62 or 67.
Do 15 years for the state then let them take away from you things that is in your contract and has been promised to you then tell me that's ok. Also try working for the state and being told your insurance would be fully paid for when you retire only to find out years later that that's not true, and your going to be charged out the ass for it when you retire, and that it was changed a few months before you hired in but kept hush hush so no one would know, so they could get people to agree to work for them. Funny how the government gets away with going back on there word, but let me just decide I want to not pay as much for my vehicle as I promised I would and start paying less, bet I don't get way with it like the state does. I hope the teachers take a stand. I hope your prison workers do the same. Bet when there hasn't been school for a couple months, and they have to release all these child molesters back in your neighborhood since there isn't enough to staff the prisons the non state workers will then start caring that the state isn't honoring there promise. The prison workers work every weekend, and holliday including thanksgiving, and Christmas at straight time no time and a half or double time like some jobs, get forced to do overtime no matter what your family already had planned with zero notice sometimes. They get 1 sick day a month what doesn't get used you get to build up, well the ones that hasn't been playing the system, and being a crappy employee and calling in 12 times a year are the ones that keep the machine running now those will call in all the time to and there won't be enough staff since its now going to be use it or lose it on the sick time.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I don't think anybody disagrees that it does. It's difficult to be against those protesting publicly without being taken for an ass, but I still think it should be said.
There's definitely a sufficient amount of days off if your a teacher IMO

That is what a lot of people assume and a lot of people are wrong. A lot of it depends on the principal. So, some teachers get more days off than others. All the breaks that teachers used to get off like spring, summer, fall, Christmas, etc are filled with p.d. trainings, faculty meetings, preparing not only your classroom but the school in general, book studies, etc. The teaching career isn't what it used to be, and it seems to be getting worse every year. Like almost every job, more and more is being asked of the employee. With that being said, something had to be done with the pension system. Was this the answer or was it the best answer? I have no idea.

I do wonder if some of the teachers\coaches do decide to go ahead and get out while the getting out is good.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Do 15 years for the state then let them take away from you things that is in your contract and has been promised to you then tell me that's ok. Also try working for the state and being told your insurance would be fully paid for when you retire only to find out years later that that's not true, and your going to be charged out the ass for it when you retire, and that it was changed a few months before you hired in but kept hush hush so no one would know, so they could get people to agree to work for them. Funny how the government gets away with going back on there word, but let me just decide I want to not pay as much for my vehicle as I promised I would and start paying less, bet I don't get way with it like the state does. I hope the teachers take a stand. I hope your prison workers do the same. Bet when there hasn't been school for a couple months, and they have to release all these child molesters back in your neighborhood since there isn't enough to staff the prisons the non state workers will then start caring that the state isn't honoring there promise. The prison workers work every weekend, and holliday including thanksgiving, and Christmas at straight time no time and a half or double time like some jobs, get forced to do overtime no matter what your family already had planned with zero notice sometimes. They get 1 sick day a month what doesn't get used you get to build up, well the ones that hasn't been playing the system, and being a crappy employee and calling in 12 times a year are the ones that keep the machine running now those will call in all the time to and there won't be enough staff since its now going to be use it or lose it on the sick time.

Nobody is saying you weren't lied to or shouldn't get your pension. My question is why are you blaming Bevin?
The money isn't there anymore. Dems spent it.
Westside Wrote:That is what a lot of people assume and a lot of people are wrong. A lot of it depends on the principal. So, some teachers get more days off than others. All the breaks that teachers used to get off like spring, summer, fall, Christmas, etc are filled with p.d. trainings, faculty meetings, preparing not only your classroom but the school in general, book studies, etc. The teaching career isn't what it used to be, and it seems to be getting worse every year. Like almost every job, more and more is being asked of the employee. With that being said, something had to be done with the pension system. Was this the answer or was it the best answer? I have no idea.

I do wonder if some of the teachers\coaches do decide to go ahead and get out while the getting out is good.

A question I've always had is why Kentucky has these absurd requirements for teaching in the first place? Why do teachers have to get their masters in this state?
I can go to jellico right across the border and get a job at jellico high school teaching without even having ateaching degree. Just a bachelors
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:What exactly is it that is so bad or has changed?

Bevin can pack his bags in two years.
BossEric Wrote:Bevin can pack his bags in two years.

What has he done to upset you?
Please be specific
Absolutely. James Buchanan can run a state better than Matt Bevin. Fighting teachers is a losing political battle for anyone. Bevin is a lame duck.

3-4 straight months in the summer? In what land are you in? You get out the end of May, start back now the first of August. Teachers have closing weeks and opening weeks. If you coach; football in particular..you get dead period off. I’m not complaining. But 3-4 straight months?!

It’s not that the new plan effects current teachers. The cashing in of sick days was an incentive. That wasn’t always the case; something that was new the last 20-30 years or so.

You don’t teach, and obviously have your mind made up and as to what teachers do. Getting in argument on here, over that is just a waste of my time. But the retirement pension was one of; if not THE incentive for teachers on a financial basis.

“You might not make a lot while you’re working, but your retirement plan will be one of the best there is.”

This is a combined cluster from previous admin and the current. The part that hasn’t really settled well, and has kind of taken things over the top is how sneaky this went down...not to mention the crap Bevin said about teachers fighting back.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:3-4 straight months in the summer? In what land are you in? You get out the end of May, start back now the first of August. Teachers have closing weeks and opening weeks. If you coach; football in particular..you get dead period off. I’m not complaining. But 3-4 straight months?!

It’s not that the new plan effects current teachers. The cashing in of sick days was an incentive. That wasn’t always the case; something that was new the last 20-30 years or so.

You don’t teach, and obviously have your mind made up and as to what teachers do. Getting in argument on here, over that is just a waste of my time. But the retirement pension was one of; if not THE incentive for teachers on a financial basis.

“You might not make a lot while you’re working, but your retirement plan will be one of the best there is.”

This is a combined cluster from previous admin and the current. The part that hasn’t really settled well, and has kind of taken things over the top is how sneaky this went down...not to mention the crap Bevin said about teachers fighting back.

100% Spot on! Bevin is seeing the end of his political career.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Nobody is saying you weren't lied to or shouldn't get your pension. My question is why are you blaming Bevin?

Not blaming bevin for money being spent. Can't just blame dems either, this is an issue that has been going on for along time. Its both parties fault, they haven't been properly funding the pension system for a long time, and have borrowed from it without paying it back goes back years. Both parties are trash I've seen bad from both parties for a long time working for the state. Bevin will get re-elected simply because there is more non state workers than there are state workers. Non state workers will be glad he is fixing the pension fund that's billions in the hole without raising their taxes by shorting the ones that was promised x amount. Then after he is re-elected the non state workers are free game for taxes being raised since you can only do 2 terms and he won't need your vote anymore. Both parties suck. Supposed to get a 5 percent raise every year went 8 years with no raise. Both parties dont honer their promises. Dems are worse about not giving raises, and republicans are a bigger threat to state workers jobs and retirement. Repubs like to threaten privatizing was that way under fletcher, and same now. Both parties need to be put on a river boat and sent down the mississippi to Mexico. I affiliate with neither party.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Nobody is saying you weren't lied to or shouldn't get your pension. My question is why are you blaming Bevin?

One thing I can blame Bevin for is that he is the one that decided that when he gave raises almost 2 years ago that he is the one that decided that the new employees should be payed more than me, and get the bulk of the raise. Sure is a warm fuzzy feeling walking in that hell hole every day knowing you are going to have more expected of you because of your experience, but while you are expected to handle things that a new employee can't they get payed more than you. With 15 years in I make less than people with less than 2 years in thanks to the great Bevin.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Not blaming bevin for money being spent. Can't just blame dems either, this is an issue that has been going on for along time. Its both parties fault, they haven't been properly funding the pension system for a long time, and have borrowed from it without paying it back goes back years. Both parties are trash I've seen bad from both parties for a long time working for the state. Bevin will get re-elected simply because there is more non state workers than there are state workers. Non state workers will be glad he is fixing the pension fund that's billions in the hole without raising their taxes by shorting the ones that was promised x amount. Then after he is re-elected the non state workers are free game for taxes being raised since you can only do 2 terms and he won't need your vote anymore. Both parties suck. Supposed to get a 5 percent raise every year went 8 years with no raise. Both parties dont honer their promises. Dems are worse about not giving raises, and republicans are a bigger threat to state workers jobs and retirement. Repubs like to threaten privatizing was that way under fletcher, and same now. Both parties need to be put on a river boat and sent down the mississippi to Mexico. I affiliate with neither party.
I agree with every thing you said. State and federal it’s all the same they waste so much money and then when someone wants to cut one budget to waste it somewhere else it’s just hand out to handout. But in saying that I think cutting teachers pension is not right these people have work for what they are supposed to receive, I am not a teacher by the way but I did pay social security all my working days but the federal have just about drained it and there will be changes to it eventually.
killbilly usmc Wrote:One thing I can blame Bevin for is that he is the one that decided that when he gave raises almost 2 years ago that he is the one that decided that the new employees should be payed more than me, and get the bulk of the raise. Sure is a warm fuzzy feeling walking in that hell hole every day knowing you are going to have more expected of you because of your experience, but while you are expected to handle things that a new employee can't they get payed more than you. With 15 years in I make less than people with less than 2 years in thanks to the great Bevin.

That seems absurd. Surely there's more to this.
I am going to merge this thread with the political thread in the politics section to get it off the football board.
Please continue the discussion there.
The facts are the republican leadership in this state wants to weaken public education. They want their tax dollars going to private schools under the disguise of charter schools. These schools are all over the state already. All they have to do is establish the voucher system, the religious schools will then file papers to become charter schools then not only will they now get federal tax savings but state tax savings also.
johnnyd Wrote:The facts are the republican leadership in this state wants to weaken public education. They want their tax dollars going to private schools under the disguise of charter schools. These schools are all over the state already. All they have to do is establish the voucher system, the religious schools will then file papers to become charter schools then not only will they now get federal tax savings but state tax savings also.

So......were the Democrats in on the plan since it was under their leadership that the pension funds were stolen? I mean, they would have to be part of the plan.

Please give us your take and be specific. TIA
FoSho Wrote:So......were the Democrats in on the plan since it was under their leadership that the pension funds were stolen? I mean, they would have to be part of the plan.

Please give us your take and be specific. TIA

The fund has been raided by BOTH republicans and democrats over the years. Let me ask you this. They just voted in a bill that literally did nothing to solve the pension issue. 1% -6% of 40 billion and five additional years at that did nothing. They are about to vote in perminant funding for charter schools. What is the point of taking new teacher stability away?