Poll: Who Wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Danville
47.22%
Mayfield
52.78%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Danville vs. Mayfield (2A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP)
Hound05 Wrote:Welp, I learned something today. I did not know that. I thought it was a little weird for smoke to say something like that, because he is very knowledgeable about football. But it makes sense now. But I’m also with you on it relating to all of this somehow?

A Danville friend was who told me about it. :-D
Single Wing 77 Wrote:I'm gonna take the cards by less than a touchdown. I could see Danville being up by three late and mayfield scoring a touchdown to win it.

I can see Mayfield being up 6-0 and Danville making a 41 point field goal as time expires.:Thumbs: Danville 41-6
smoke1015 Wrote:Dunbar was a "colored" school. Mayfield was white. Obviously, and being quite intentionally stereotypical (it's a good stereotype though), it didn't hurt their athleticism, in the long run, as a football team. One reason I root for Danville, aside from working there for years, it is truly a tiny little school with very few kids. Mayfield feels like more of a merger of Boyle and Danville kids, although on a much smaller population level. I have never been there however. I watched them play you guys a couple of years ago and couldn't believe the offensive line talent they had. You guys probably should've won that one but coach went for the 2 and the win. I felt you had them worn down and tired and could have beaten them in OT.

I am not even going to address you bringing race into the thread, unnecessary and irrelevant to the game. As for your statement Danville is (truly a tiny little school with very few kids) Danville- 508
Mayfield- 422
and,,,Mayfield (feels like more of merger of Boyle and Danville kids),explain how that FEELS?:popcorn:
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:We will be there tailgating during the beechwood game, hell it will probably spill over to your game. Now my oldest(junior) is playing Boyle for high school title. Stop by cause the underdogs are bringing home the trophies.

Interestingly enough I will be tailgating before the Corbin game with a mix of Cardinal and Hound fans outside Commonwealth/The Grocery Store in the Blue lot is what we are thinking. Some interesting old Hounds will be there like the Rawlings brothers who were on the last Corbin title team in the early 80's and a few other ole Hounds that are from that era.
Fun Facts:
Overall records since 1990
Danville 308-75 (80%) MF 336-64 (84%)

This will be Danville's 15th trip 10-4
State Champs (10)
1962, 84, 87, 89, 91, 92, 94, 00, 01, 03

State Runner Up (4)
1998, 04, 06, 16

This will be Mayfield's 22nd Trip 12-9
State Champs (12)
1977, 78, 85, 86, 93, 95, 02, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15

State Runner Up (9)
76, 87, 89, 91, 92, 98, 05, 09, 11

Coach Clay Clevenger @ Danville since 2013 is 52-13 Overall, 13-4 Playoffs
1 State Runner Up. 3 Regional Titles

Coach Joe Morris @ Mayfield since 1999 is 225-47 Overall and 70-12 in Playoffs
6 State Championships, 3 State Runners Up, 16 Regional Titles

This will be the 5th time the 2 have met in the title game with the Ads winning previous 4
1987 24-23 Ads
1989 7-3 Ads
1991 17-14 Ads
1992 34-17 Ads

Danville Admirals
Offense: 552 Points (39.4 PPG)
2,429 Rushing Yards (173.5 YPG)
2,508 Passing Yards (179.1 YPG)

Defense: 197 Points (14.1 PPG)
1,650 Rushing Yards (117.9 YPG)
1,953 Passing Yards (139.5 YPG)

Mayfield Cardinals
Offense: 663 points (47.4 PPG)
2,870 Rushing Yards (205 YPG)
2,967 Passing Yards (211.9 YPG)

Defense: 203 Points (14.5 PPG)
1,661 Rushing Yards (118.6 YPG)
1,434 Passing Yards (102.4 YPG)
After watching both teams play, I’ll save my crow for another time and predict it to be a really good game that comes down to the last possession whoever is ahead during the last possession is gonna win the game. Safe travels and such
Danville by 4
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Fun Facts:
Overall records since 1990
Danville 308-75 (80%) MF 336-64 (84%)

This will be Danville's 15th trip 10-4
State Champs (10)
1962, 84, 87, 89, 91, 92, 94, 00, 01, 03

State Runner Up (4)
1998, 04, 06, 16

This will be Mayfield's 22nd Trip 12-9
State Champs (12)
1977, 78, 85, 86, 93, 95, 02, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15

State Runner Up (9)
76, 87, 89, 91, 92, 98, 05, 09, 11

Coach Clay Clevenger @ Danville since 2013 is 52-13 Overall, 13-4 Playoffs
1 State Runner Up. 3 Regional Titles

Coach Joe Morris @ Mayfield since 1999 is 225-47 Overall and 70-12 in Playoffs
6 State Championships, 3 State Runners Up, 16 Regional Titles

This will be the 5th time the 2 have met in the title game with the Ads winning previous 4
1987 24-23 Ads
1989 7-3 Ads
1991 17-14 Ads
1992 34-17 Ads

Danville Admirals
Offense: 552 Points (39.4 PPG)
2,429 Rushing Yards (173.5 YPG)
2,508 Passing Yards (179.1 YPG)

Defense: 197 Points (14.1 PPG)
1,650 Rushing Yards (117.9 YPG)
1,953 Passing Yards (139.5 YPG)

Mayfield Cardinals
Offense: 663 points (47.4 PPG)
2,870 Rushing Yards (205 YPG)
2,967 Passing Yards (211.9 YPG)

Defense: 203 Points (14.5 PPG)
1,661 Rushing Yards (118.6 YPG)
1,434 Passing Yards (102.4 YPG)

Great job. :Thumbs:

Only problem is 1992 score was 34-7.
smoke1015 Wrote:Dunbar was a "colored" school. Mayfield was white. Obviously, and being quite intentionally stereotypical (it's a good stereotype though), it didn't hurt their athleticism, in the long run, as a football team. One reason I root for Danville, aside from working there for years, it is truly a tiny little school with very few kids. Mayfield feels like more of a merger of Boyle and Danville kids, although on a much smaller population level. I have never been there however. I watched them play you guys a couple of years ago and couldn't believe the offensive line talent they had. You guys probably should've won that one but coach went for the 2 and the win. I felt you had them worn down and tired and could have beaten them in OT.

Once again, not sure why you are trying to bring up the 2 schools coming together about 50 years ago. I recall we were all tight friends when I was there in the 70's and 80's.

You mentioned Danville being the small school. You do realize that Mayfield is smaller, right? We are the bottom 2-3 teams in school size in 2a. We just beat one of the two largest in 2a I think.
I'm going with Danville in a close game
Hatz Wrote:Great job. :Thumbs:

Only problem is 1992 score was 34-7.

Atleast it made it look better Confusedhh:

A typo

If I recall correctly, the game was tied with 8 minutes to go in the 4th before the wheels came off for the Cards
Looks like the weather is going to be perfect for some football! In your opinion, who does this benefit the most?
CS17 Wrote:Looks like the weather is going to be perfect for some football! In your opinion, who does this benefit the most?

I would say the coaches, the subs and the fans. I really don't think it helps either team playing more than the other. They both run similar style offenses and rely on speed.
mysonis55 Wrote:I would say the coaches, the subs and the fans. I really don't think it helps either team playing more than the other. They both run similar style offenses and rely on speed.

55, in your opinion... what part of our team sends Mayfield over the top on Saturday...

And a Danville supporter... what part of your teams gives you the advantage?
CS17 Wrote:55, in your opinion... what part of our team sends Mayfield over the top on Saturday...

If Danville can establish the run consistently then it opens up their offense. If their Defensive Line can hold their own it helps their LB's to get to the ball.

I'm sure Mayfield's plan is similar.
CS17 Wrote:55, in your opinion... what part of our team sends Mayfield over the top on Saturday...

Not a Danville supporter but after watching them play I would say that the X factor for Danville has to be VanCleave. That kid just has football speed unlike any I've seen in Kentucky high school football. We had John Cole here a few years back who ran a legitimate 4.4, probably the fastest guy we've had since Perkins in the early 2000s. VanCleave would blow either of those two out of the water. I haven't seen Mayfield play, I know that they traditionally have great team speed, but if they are not able to contain him then it could be a shootout.

Danville's defense is no slouch, but I have to disagree with the poster that said it would be a matchup between Danville's D and Mayfield's O. Danville's biggest strength is their ability to put up a lot of points in a hurry IMO. The first half in their first game with LCA, Danville looked like they were going to be in for a long night. A few minutes later and it didn't even look like LCA belonged on the same field as the Ads.

Mayfield will need to neutralize VanCleave's speed without focusing their entire defense to do so, because Harris and Warren and several others can burn you as well. I would be surprised if this game is decided by more than 10 points in either direction. Wish I could make it to this one. :Thumbs:
Biggest advantage for MF is coaching. I know Danville has a great staff as well, but Joe, Dew, Champ, Hatchel and company are the best in the state.

Biggest advantage for Danville will be they are essentially playing a home game. I would assume their kids will even sleep in their own beds Fri night.
Kracken Wrote:Biggest advantage for MF is coaching. I know Danville has a great staff as well, but Joe, Dew, Champ, Hatchel and company are the best in the state.

Biggest advantage for Danville will be they are essentially playing a home game. I would assume their kids will even sleep in their own beds Fri night.
yes sir
Only about 35-40 mile trip from Danville High School

I think the line play for MHS on both sides will be a huge benefit. I also don't think the Ads qb will be able to scramble on this d. The defense for Ads opens right where we need it to.

The Ads best weapons will be kicker, and fast rb. That and the homefield.
I only got one player in western Ky that I like more than Hurt and he's got my blood running threw his veins. This Hurt kid is special. If the ends can do there jobs, expect some bone cracking, smash mouth impacts. He's all heart and fight. If Vancleave doesn't love the game 100% it will be exposed. Honestly IMO this will determine who wins.
Mayfield played the tougher bracket and I think that plays a factor in this game. We have been battle tested and that’s why I like our chances. Also if our D plays the way they did against CAL then I definitely like our chances even more. Smash mouth football and 11 hats to the ball.

It’s gonna be a dandy folks. Redbirds get their 13th title!!!!!!
Jackson Purchase Wrote:I only got one player in western Ky that I like more than Hurt and he's got my blood running threw his veins. This Hurt kid is special. If the ends can do there jobs, expect some bone cracking, smash mouth impacts. He's all heart and fight. If Vancleave doesn't love the game 100% it will be exposed. Honestly IMO this will determine who wins.

it seems obvious that VanCleave loves the game. The defense will go to hit him and he will already be gone Confusednicker:
I would never question his love for the game. Im sure he has it. I will say that some are sadly mistaken if they think the Cards d will not be able to hit him because he will be gone. Most of the time, he will be dropped for negative yardage. Not his fault by any means.
mysonis55 Wrote:I would never question his love for the game. Im sure he has it. I will say that some are sadly mistaken if they think the Cards d will not be able to hit him because he will be gone. Most of the time, he will be dropped for negative yardage. Not his fault by any means.

Harris and Thornton might give the defense a little trouble when they key on VanCleave Smile
pjdoug Wrote:Harris and Thornton might give the defense a little trouble when they key on VanCleave Smile

And Mayfield will have an answer for them too. Look, I'm sorry and i'm not trying to burst bubbles or be rude. I'm not even a Mayfield fan, but they have some of the best coaches in the state. They not only can adjust but they substitute players perfectly. I promise you the players will be fired up for them and will bring another title back to Mayfield.

Ton of respect for Mayfield.
Time Will Tell Wrote:And Mayfield will have an answer for them too. Look, I'm sorry and i'm not trying to burst bubbles or be rude. I'm not even a Mayfield fan, but they have some of the best coaches in the state. They not only can adjust but they substitute players perfectly. I promise you the players will be fired up for them and will bring another title back to Mayfield.

Ton of respect for Mayfield.

Everybody knows Mayfield has a great coaching staff and has a chance to win it all every year. Danville might not play dead though.
Honestly, these 2 teams are very similar in all phases of the game. My hope is that they both bring there A games Saturday and let the chips fall where they will. If they do that, then we will most definitely be looking at an epic classic that'll be talked about for a long, long time.
KYHSFBFan Wrote:Honestly, these 2 teams are very similar in all phases of the game. My hope is that they both bring there A games Saturday and let the chips fall where they will. If they do that, then we will most definitely be looking at an epic classic that'll be talked about for a long, long time.

I sure don't. I hope Danville comes out flat or intimidated and MHS puts a running clock on them. My boy played in close games for two of his three state championships. I couldn't relax a second. I want to be able to enjoy it like I did Hazard in 2010, Fairview in 2012 and Williamsburg in 2013.
mysonis55 Wrote:I sure don't. I hope Danville comes out flat or intimidated and MHS puts a running clock on them. My boy played in close games for two of his three state championships. I couldn't relax a second. I want to be able to enjoy it like I did Hazard in 2010, Fairview in 2012 and Williamsburg in 2013.

That’s exactly how I am about my teams. Good honest post. :Thumbs:
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next