Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 Players (All-Time) from the Mountains
I'm not going to try and name a top ten, but one name I have not seen listed, is Donnie Butcher. Donnie played for Meade H.S. and Pikeville College, and he played in the NBA for five years.
Wan Wah Jones
King Kelly Coleman
Richie Farmer
Charles Thomas
Nick Sanford
J.R. Vanhoose
Earvin Stepp
Todd May
Elisha Justice
Phil Cox
JerryGarcia Wrote:Wan Wah Jones
King Kelly Coleman
Richie Farmer
Charles Thomas
Nick Sanford
J.R. Vanhoose
Earvin Stepp
Todd May
Elisha Justice
Phil Cox

Good list. Just can't see how you can rank Stepp ahead of Cox. They were only a year apart.
Wasn't ranking them, just listing my 10 best players
To add to the women.......Whitney Creech ,Jenkins ,all time high school scoring champion in the country .Bridgette Combs ,Whitesburg miss Basketball in Kentucky I think in 83 or 84! Played at Western!
Glen Combs, who played at Carr Creek in the 1960's, played in the old ABA before most of that league was absorbed by the NBA. He was a dead eye shooting guard.
He'd have to be on the list, especially since he is among very few mountain players who have actually played pro basketball in the U.S. leagues.
Girls have their own board if anybody wants to list a top 10 for them! NO GIRL, could make a top 10 boys list!
I think we could have continued enjoying this discussion without that disgusting display of sexism......
Cellking Wrote:Ben Franklin --- OBI

Lots of people didn't get to see him play but I agree with you he could play
K40 Wrote:I think we could have continued enjoying this discussion without that disgusting display of sexism......

No girl could make a top 1,000 boys list. Nothing sexist about my comment, this is not a job interview!
The best ones I seen in person were Phil Cox, Nick Sanford, Richie Farmer, Charles Thomas, and JR Vanhoose. Joe McGeorge was fun to watch for Bell County on a side note.
1. Todd may- virgie
2. Jr vanhoose- paintsville
3. Jody thompson- feds creek
4. Jeremy hall - allen central
5. Todd (hef) conley- elkhorn city
6. Elisha justice - shelby valley
7. Todd tackett- paintsville
8. Ervin stepp- phelps
9. Jj hylton- belfry
10. Mason blair- johnson central
Nick Sanford is probably the most underrated. He went the D2 route because he couldn't spell ball but he could play it.
I like the list, but Nick Sanford, I think could be on the list too!!

K40 Wrote:Todd May
Wah Wah Jones
King Kelly
J.R. VanHoose
Phil Cox
Richie Farmer
Frank Selvy
Charlie Osborne
Johnny Cox
Peggy Gay Moore
Geri Grigsby

Smile
Kelly Coleman
Johnny Cox
Wa wa Jones
Richie Farmer
John Pelphery
Russell Chadwell
Ervin Stepp
JR Vanhoose
Ben Franklin
Richie Bell (obi most won't remember him)
Charles Thomas
Cameron Justice
Kelly Wells
Todd May
Jody Thompson
Tony petroski (spelling probably wrong)
Buford T Justice Wrote:Kelly Coleman
Johnny Cox
Wa wa Jones
Richie Farmer
John Pelphery
Russell Chadwell
Ervin Stepp
JR Vanhoose
Ben Franklin
Charles Thomas
Cameron Justice
Kelly Wells
Todd May
Jody Thompson

I bet Farmer and Chadwell would tell you Nick Sanford was the best they played against in the mountains and belong on any list.
Buford T Justice Wrote:Kelly Coleman
Johnny Cox
Wa wa Jones
Richie Farmer
John Pelphery
Russell Chadwell
Ervin Stepp
JR Vanhoose
Ben Franklin
Charles Thomas
Cameron Justice
Kelly Wells
Todd May
Jody Thompson

No Elisha Justice? Any top ten with out him on isn’t a good top ten
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:No Elisha Justice? Any top ten with out him on isn’t a good top ten
There were PLENTY of players better than Elisha over the years. It’s no slam on him, just a fact. There’s even some not on these lists who were better if expanded to top 20, definitely he could sneak on there.
E's Army Wrote:Nick Sanford is probably the most underrated. He went the D2 route because he couldn't spell ball but he could play it.

He went on to have a great career at LMU if Im not mistaken
Frank Selvy has to be on the list from Corbin. I know he played a long time ago.... But the man holds the NCAA record for most points scored in a game.....
PHSForever Wrote:There were PLENTY of players better than Elisha over the years. It’s no slam on him, just a fact. There’s even some not on these lists who were better if expanded to top 20, definitely he could sneak on there.

Opinions are like a$$holes everybody has one and I think he’s one of the best to ever play in the Mountains I’m guessing your a Bart Williams fan lol
I'm not very old. But the best players I've seen from the mountains are Elisha Justice and Landon Slone. Not many others names if throw around that compete with those two that I've personally seen play.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
The best three players I have ever seen play in person were Todd May of Virgie, and John Pelfry and Joey Couch both from Paintsville. Painstville came to the dome in Betsy Layne to take on the Bobcats. Brett Meade, Jimmy Fudd Parsons, Jimmy Stumbo, Duran Hall, and Davy Mitchell took down the mighty Tigers that night. If I'm not mistaken and I may be because I was in 7th or 8th grade at the time, but I think that Painstville team made it to the semifinals of the Sweet 16.
You all are forgetting a key player which played in the late 90's probably the best shooter ever in the mountains Jeremy Hall from Allen central.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Opinions are like a$$holes everybody has one and I think he’s one of the best to ever play in the Mountains I’m guessing your a Bart Williams fan lol
Actually, I’m not a Bart fan. I’m realistic, is all. I have watched 15thvregion basketball for over 40 years. I’ve seen plenty of players who were at Elisha’s level. Now, the teams they played on may have not been as successful, so they didn’t get as much publicity in pre-internet days, for example. One example I have is Doe Doe Rowe from Virgie. Kid had MAJOR handles, was a decent shooter, and was deadly on defense. Chris Slater who played for Pikeville a couple years was also a very very good player. Better shooter than Elisha, about same ball handling skills, but nowhere near Elisha’s speed. I could go on and on. The fact Elisha lead Valley to three championships at the state level (All A and the “big one”Wink definitely elevate him into contention for that too 20 list, but I just feel we are discussing individual players, and not team success, is all.

You’re correct in one thing though, opinions ARE like a$$holes and everyone DOES have one. I guess you’re this sites’ a$$hole. That’s what you get for assuming I’m a homer Bart fan.
Some may argue because they weren't here long enough, but should be mentioned:

OJ Mayo
Bill Walker

Both played for Rose Hill early 2000's, both made it to the NBA
PHSForever Wrote:Actually, I’m not a Bart fan. I’m realistic, is all. I have watched 15thvregion basketball for over 40 years. I’ve seen plenty of players who were at Elisha’s level. Now, the teams they played on may have not been as successful, so they didn’t get as much publicity in pre-internet days, for example. One example I have is Doe Doe Rowe from Virgie. Kid had MAJOR handles, was a decent shooter, and was deadly on defense. Chris Slater who played for Pikeville a couple years was also a very very good player. Better shooter than Elisha, about same ball handling skills, but nowhere near Elisha’s speed. I could go on and on. The fact Elisha lead Valley to three championships at the state level (All A and the “big one”) definitely elevate him into contention for that too 20 list, but I just feel we are discussing individual players, and not team success, is all.

You’re correct in one thing though, opinions ARE like a$$holes and everyone DOES have one. I guess you’re this sites’ a$$hole. That’s what you get for assuming I’m a homer Bart fan.

I played against Slater he wasn’t on that level at no time not at Williamson or Pikeville As for Rowe great defense but he wasn’t Elisha and yes I am a a$$hole you need to try again because neither one of those were as good or better than Elisha
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:I played against Slater he wasn’t on that level at no time not at Williamson or Pikeville As for Rowe great defense but he wasn’t Elisha and yes I am a a$$hole you need to try again because neither one of those were as good or better than Elisha
Well, good luck to ya. All I expressed was my opinion. And I said Elisha was good enough to be top 20, but top 10 I’m not sure. Lots of excellent players out of this area. I listed two simply as examples, not to say they were better all around.
PHSForever Wrote:Actually, I’m not a Bart fan. I’m realistic, is all. I have watched 15thvregion basketball for over 40 years. I’ve seen plenty of players who were at Elisha’s level. Now, the teams they played on may have not been as successful, so they didn’t get as much publicity in pre-internet days, for example. One example I have is Doe Doe Rowe from Virgie. Kid had MAJOR handles, was a decent shooter, and was deadly on defense. Chris Slater who played for Pikeville a couple years was also a very very good player. Better shooter than Elisha, about same ball handling skills, but nowhere near Elisha’s speed. I could go on and on. The fact Elisha lead Valley to three championships at the state level (All A and the “big one”) definitely elevate him into contention for that too 20 list, but I just feel we are discussing individual players, and not team success, is all.

:hilarious::lmao::thatsfunn

Comparing Elisha Justice to Doe-Doe Rowe is the most comical thing I've ever seen on here.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:I played against Slater he wasn’t on that level at no time not at Williamson or Pikeville As for Rowe great defense but he wasn’t Elisha and yes I am a a$$hole you need to try again because neither one of those were as good or better than Elisha

Agreed. Those were absurd comparisons.