Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone buy KHSAA a Atlas
Some of these 1st round match-ups are ridiculous. 3 and 4 hours for first round games? crazy!!! They really did a fantastic job of working this out.
U act as if they would use it if someone did buy them one haha
That’s the only way that they could try to screw Belfry which they didn’t because if you are champions it don’t matter who you play
^^^^wow really
Rommel Wrote:Some of these 1st round match-ups are ridiculous. 3 and 4 hours for first round games? crazy!!! They really did a fantastic job of working this out.
I've been on a long list of 3 hour trips to watch Whitley County play in the playoffs in the past . I didn't realize it was a new thing .
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:That’s the only way that they could try to screw Belfry which they didn’t because if you are champions it don’t matter who you play

I've traveled to Belfry to watch Whitley County play. The Colonels got screwed.
What do you suggest, playing the teams in your district instead?
KYHSFB Wrote:What do you suggest, playing the teams in your district instead?

I like a good road trip. Don't you? lol
Speaking of craziness McCracken county just played Muhlenberg County in the 1st 6A District and will be playing them again in the 1st round as we have 5 teams in the 1st district and District 2 only has 3 so there is worse things than travel as well.
This goes back to my grip of WAY TOO many teams make in to the Playoffs.

Cutting the number of teams in the playoffs would cut the insane travel most teams see in the first round as well as the blowout games we usually see.

Some 6A teams have INSANE travel for their first round game.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Pulp Fiction Wrote:This goes back to my grip of WAY TOO many teams make in to the Playoffs.

Cutting the number of teams in the playoffs would cut the insane travel most teams see in the first round as well as the blowout games we usually see.

Some 6A teams have INSANE travel for their first round game.

Too much money to be made, Pulp.
some people would complain either way .
zaga_fan Wrote:Too much money to be made, Pulp.
Money made by who?
686 miles. Driving Lexington to just outside New York City.
1,004 miles. NYC to nearly Daytona Beach.

That's the likely travel distances for teams to get thru Region 3 in 3A. If Belfry is fortunate to get to the Regional final, and it is likely the other Louisville area schools win their games, that means distances between schools of 686 miles to determine the regional winner. It is NOT travel for one team. Just showing distances between likely schools.

Then, should Belfry advance to the championship, that number grows to a likely distance of 1,004 miles, should they get past likely Corbin and get to Kroger.

Now, regional 3 vs Region 4 would likely be a longer drive, as would getting to Lexington. So those distances can reasonably be longer. But the point is cross bracketing is simply dumb. It's just random. If you want to mix it up, drop it to 2 or 3 teams making the playoffs and seed them. But its just dumb to pick a class for this at what seems to be random.

It would not change much either, even if Pike Central, Floyd, Lawrence Co, or Sheldon Clark were the top seed. It's still a mentally challenged approach.

And just for logic, how can Adair County be in Region 1, Casey County be in region 4, and only be 34 miles apart?
Here's the thing, those drives were being made last year and the year before and the year before. The thing is, some new teams are now having to make those drives, and they don't want to. Because apparently that other teams LOVED it.

Granted, they should have kept the playoff on the same side of the bracket (1-4 and 5-8) and just rotated within that.

But, to say that the drive suddenly exists is an incredibly incorrect statement. It's just that new people are having to make that drive, and they don't like it.
There was a 3A playoff scenario in 2011 that could have had Bell Co. coming to Paducah Tilghman. Ended up not happening, but that's about as far as you could drive still be in the state. = 350 miles or so. About 6 hours.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:Here's the thing, those drives were being made last year and the year before and the year before. The thing is, some new teams are now having to make those drives, and they don't want to. Because apparently that other teams LOVED it.

Granted, they should have kept the playoff on the same side of the bracket (1-4 and 5-8) and just rotated within that.

But, to say that the drive suddenly exists is an incredibly incorrect statement. It's just that new people are having to make that drive, and they don't like it.

I agree, essentially. But I'm confident no region has been determined by nearly 700 miles of distances. However, I don't know about Region 1 (all classes). That may have historically had large distances to determine the Region winner. I just don't know. I've always been an advocate of true regional representation, but that's just me. Even tho it can't happen with 6A, since I think GRC is the eastern-most 6A school.
Hurricane Storm Wrote:I agree, essentially. But I'm confident no region has been determined by nearly 700 miles of distances. However, I don't know about Region 1 (all classes). That may have historically had large distances to determine the Region winner. I just don't know. I've always been an advocate of true regional representation, but that's just me. Even tho it can't happen with 6A, since I think GRC is the eastern-most 6A school.

I've been comparing distances traveled from the 16 season in the first round and the 17 season first round. And, at the end, the combined average distance traveled is around 20-25 miles further in 2017 than it was in 2016. That's not enough for me to start screaming about a distance traveled. I mean, I drive that to work every morning and evening.
I’m all for less teams and seeding them. Or at least seeding the region winners. The top two teams shouldn’t meet in the semi’s.
pjdoug Wrote:I've traveled to Belfry to watch Whitley County play. The Colonels got screwed.

Boo woo I was at that game how did you get screwed that was the fight call when the helmet comes off the play is automatically blown dead it’s happened to us before to I don’t like the rule but I’ve seen it called in other games but yes if the helmet don’t come off Whitley wins that game
It don’t matter where you play if your good enough to win it doesn’t matter
Fat Tackett is an idiot.. Always was, always will be. If you can, catch his Podcast interview with Josh Moore, the dude is all over the place on his comments. He will never be Louis no matter how hard he tries.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:Here's the thing, those drives were being made last year and the year before and the year before. The thing is, some new teams are now having to make those drives, and they don't want to. Because apparently that other teams LOVED it.

Well said. My team has made several 3 hours + trips over the years to places such as Hardin, Lawrence and Pike Counties. some people want to whine and cry if they're not coddled.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Boo woo I was at that game how did you get screwed that was the fight call when the helmet comes off the play is automatically blown dead it’s happened to us before to I don’t like the rule but I’ve seen it called in other games but yes if the helmet don’t come off Whitley wins that game

I wasn't referring to a helmet. I was being sarcastic because you said travel is how they would try to screw Belfry.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:It don’t matter where you play if your good enough to win it doesn’t matter

I'm not always able to go, but I love to be able to take a trip to see another part of this great state. it's just a bonus to be able to go and cheer for your home town kids .
pjdoug Wrote:I wasn't referring to a helmet. I was being sarcastic because you said travel is how they would try to screw Belfry.

Me and my buddy has talked about that game many times and you had us that year
I don't think it is the KHSAA's intent to screw any team over.

I have no doubt though that it is the KHSAA's intent to maximize ticket sales for the State Finals which has prompted some of these changes.

The same teams playing each other over and over is bad for business.
I think KHSAA would best be served if they kept the post season within the same sides of the bracket. You get to always be rotating who has to travel, and to where. Heck, I'd like for them to have a 4 year rotation, and one year your first 2 rounds would be in the district. That would be a huge travel burden eased for the year, no matter who you were.

Why doesn't KHSAA pay me to fix these problems? I love maps and travel numbers! Big Julian, let me hear from you!
Absolutely agree. It should be the 1st & 2nd place teams from the district that advance (it use to be that way). Since the inception of 4 teams per district making the playoffs, how many 3rd and/or 4th place teams have made it to the state finals or semi-finals ? Football should end the last weekend of November. Two teams per district would allow that to happen.
kyfellow Wrote:Absolutely agree. It should be the 1st & 2nd place teams from the district that advance (it use to be that way). Since the inception of 4 teams per district making the playoffs, how many 3rd and/or 4th place teams have made it to the state finals or semi-finals ? Football should end the last weekend of November. Two teams per district would allow that to happen.

Congrats on finishing in 2nd place in a tough district! To reward your good season, here's a district champ to knock you out in the first round.

4 teams isn't bad, inherently, there is just too much parity between 1 and 4. If the gap between the top and bottom wasn't as wide as an ocean, it would be a lot different. Limiting the post season doesn't remedy any real issues, it just ignores them. Everyone knows in July who the 4-5 teams to compete for a state champion are going to be. That's the same with 1, 2, 3 or 4 teams advancing from a district.