Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017-2018 13th Region
Should be an interesting year in the 13th region. I think they are 4-5 teams that are better than everyone else, then a bunch of teams that could be in a group together. Also, some very good talent in the 13th region this season and some good coaches that lead their teams. Here is my preseason top 5 for each of the following.

Top 5 Teams:
Harlan Co.
South Laurel
North Laurel
Clay Co.
Whitley Co.

Top 5 Players:
Blair Green, Harlan Co.
Kaylea Gross, Harlan Co.
Kaylee Mathis, Clay Co.
Ally Collett, South Laurel
Madison Shepherd, North Laurel

Top 5 Coaches:
Burchell, Clay Co.
Teague, Bell Co.
Mahan, North Laurel
Walker, South Laurel
Green, Harlan Co.
Very close on how the teams and players will be ranked in the preseason polls.
This is a great region for girls basketball
My top 5's, just as I see it
Teams
Harlan County
South Laurel
Clay County
North Laurel
Whitley County

Players
Green (HC)
Gross (HC)
Collett (SL)
Mathis (CC)
Shepherd (NL)

Coaches
Teague (BC)
Burchell (CC)
Walker (SL)
Green (HC)
Estes (WC)
HCS, I'm going to take a shot at trying to guess the Cats Pause top 10 players

1. Green (HC)
2. Gross (HC)
3. Collett (SL)
4. Mathis (CC)
5. Shepherd (NL)
6. Steele (SL)
7. King (Harlan)
8. Gray (NL)
9. Daniels (B'ville)
10. Enix (P'ville)

Wouldn't surprise me to see: Parker (Clay), Estes (Whitley), Jervis and/or Lawson (North) all in the top 10 as well
Lots of talent in this region!
I personally think this will be one of the best years to watch 13th Region girls. Harlan County is the clear cut favorite in my eyes. I would put either south or north and head to head north may have the advantage now. For preseason I will go with south though. Either of these two teams could put together a run to win it. Ally collett is a stud in the making and we are seeing that with her offers recently. Clay will always be a tough out with good shot selection and slow pace. Whitley could be a really good team but I have said that for a couple of years now. They have to find some scoring at the rim either off of penetration or post play. They are one team I didn't get to see this summer but if they can develop some of the younger players they will be tough.

Very similar to Kyboy24

Top 5 Teams:
Harlan Co.
South Laurel
North Laurel
Clay Co.
Whitley Co.

Top 5 Players:
Blair Green, Harlan Co.
Kaylea Gross, Harlan Co.
Ally Collett, South Laurel (my favorite to watch)
Kaylee Mathis, Clay Co.
Madison Sheppard, North Laurel

I didn't want to do this part as any person willing to put up with the struggles of coaching today should all be commended.

Top 5 Coaches:
Burchell, Clay Co.
Teague, Bell Co.
Mahan, North Laurel
Walker, South Laurel
Jones, Lynn Camp
13th is fun to watch
Top 5 Teams
Harlan County - 2 great players and role players that play their roles well
South Laurel - fun to watch with good depth, best players still young
North Laurel - loaded with talent, if team chemistry holds up they can win it all
Clay County - returns a lot, have all the pieces to win the region but still somewhat young
Whitley County - loaded with seniors, good guard play but not much size

Top 5 Players
Blair Green (Harlan County)
Kaylea Gross (Harlan County)
Ally Collett (South Laurel)
Kaylee Mathis (Clay County)
Madison Shepherd (North Laurel)

Top 5 Coaches
Coach Teague (Bell County) - gets the best out of his team/ every game
Coach Walker (South Laurel) - very impressed in his 1st season as HC, bright future
Coach Green (Harlan County) - she has a little old school, I like it, coachs hard
Coach Mahan (North Laurel) - teams play very hard,
Coach Burhell (Clay County) - i know he does good but I think he needs to change with the game.
CA3 Wrote:HCS, I'm going to take a shot at trying to guess the Cats Pause top 10 players

1. Green (HC)
2. Gross (HC)
3. Collett (SL)
4. Mathis (CC)
5. Shepherd (NL)
6. Steele (SL)
7. King (Harlan)
8. Gray (NL)
9. Daniels (B'ville)
10. Enix (P'ville)

Wouldn't surprise me to see: Parker (Clay), Estes (Whitley), Jervis and/or Lawson (North) all in the top 10 as well

Correct on 8 of 10. The other 2 are in your other list. Older players from the top teams usually win out.
Top 5 Teams:
Harlan Co.
North Laurel
South Laurel
Clay Co.
Whitley Co.

Top 5 Players:
Green, Harlan Co.
Collett, South Laurel
Gross, Harlan Co.
Mathis, Clay County

Top 5 Coaches:
Teague, Bell Co.
Jones, Lynn Camp
Green, Harlan Co.
Burchell, Clay Co.
Walker, South Laurel
Coach03 Wrote:Top 5 Teams:
Harlan Co.
North Laurel
South Laurel
Clay Co.
Whitley Co.

Top 5 Players:
Green, Harlan Co.
Collett, South Laurel
Gross, Harlan Co.
Mathis, Clay County

Top 5 Coaches:
Teague, Bell Co.
Jones, Lynn Camp
Green, Harlan Co.
Burchell, Clay Co.
Walker, South Laurel

Whitley County is in top 5 with no coach or players in top 10. Where would their coach be ranked?
Pjdoug they have players who would be in the top ten, I just done top 5?
Feltner from Whitley is a player to watch as well. But 50th will be closer than most think IMO. Also Madison Hicks may very well be one of the best post scorers in the region
Could be interesting (although very early in the season) Harlan County, North Laurel, and South Laurel all three in the WYMT Mountain Classic the first week of December.
I can't wait for the WYMT... Harlan County at that point will be the better team but it will be interesting to see. Plus all the experience South and North can get against them the better. The way the bracket will be set up will be interesting as well.
I also can't wait for the WYMT... Harlan County at that point will be the better team but it will be interesting to see. Plus all the experience South and North can get against them the better. The way the bracket will be set up will be interesting as well.
Coach03 Wrote:Pjdoug they have players who would be in the top ten, I just done top 5?

I was curious and don't know a lot about them now. I thought they were building a good program, but seem to change head coaches too often nowadays.
pjdoug Wrote:Whitley County is in top 5 with no coach or players in top 10. Where would their coach be ranked?

Estes and Feltner could both be considered top 10 candidates. Feltner made it last season.
I think Feltners coach holds her back and Mathis is to high on the list
I don't know how Burchell from Clay isn't ranked #1 coach, winning district championship year after year with what he has. How is Green ranked in top 5? With her team she should have won region last couple years!
Collect ahead of Gross, she's a great player but that Gross girl is the most dominate post player we've seen in awhile, D1 -D2 schools is wanting her to play an undersized 5 because of her strength.
If what I heard yesterday is true I may have to change my top 5 around just a little. Not much but still a surprise and big hit for a top team if true.
Olred Wrote:If what I heard yesterday is true I may have to change my top 5 around just a little. Not much but still a surprise and big hit for a top team if true.
not true if its what I thinking it is.
What have you both heard?
It's been negated... was some issues but now resolved! I'm glad too!
Collett has 3 D1 offers... Gross is a great player but I haven't heard of anyone that has offered yet? Collett is just a sophomore with tons of upside.
I just heard Harlan County refused to play South at South this year. Anyone know why?
Ball Dad Wrote:I just heard Harlan County refused to play South at South this year. Anyone know why?

Not true!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I did notice SL is not on HC's schedule.
However, they could end up playing in the WYMT Classic.
kyfellow Wrote:I did notice SL is not on HC's schedule.
However, they could end up playing in the WYMT Classic.

They could play at Wymt Classic but I thought they were supposed to play during season.
ekff Wrote:Not true!

Okay maybe refused wasn't correct but they're not scheduled, Right? I thought they would play at South this year.