Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 Players (All-Time) from the Mountains
Let's see your lists. This can include 13, 14, 15, and 16th Region players.

...and GO!
Ok Id love to put more thought in this response. Ill come abck and do a better one when im not zombie'd from lack of sleep but off the top of my head Ill start with
K.Coleman
E.Stepp
Charlie Osborn
Cameron Justice
Vanhoose
Rodney Woods - Lone Jack - University of Tennessee
Phil Cox - Cawood - Vanderbilt University
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Regardless of personal feelings, you can't leave Richie Farmer off of this list.
Ben Bowling was one of the best I personally watched. Kid was special.
walterwhite Wrote:Regardless of personal feelings, you can't leave Richie Farmer off of this list.

Yeah, he has to be at, or near, the top of the 13th Region:

Richie Farmer
Wah Wah Jones
Nick Sanford
Phil Cox
Charles Thomas
13th Region, Also need to add

Lawrence Buell - Middlesboro
Ben Franklin --- OBI
Terry Mills
Nobel Potter
Terry Mills
Nobel Potter
There was a Gregory that played at Clay early to mid 70s that was really good.
Ryan Whitaker from 13th
insideinfo Wrote:There was a Gregory that played at Clay early to mid 70s that was really good.

That would be Gary Gregory, went to Western.
If these four guys are left off any list of Top Players from the Mountains.... then the list is trash.

Wah Wah Jones
John Pelphrey
J.R. Vanhoose
King Kelly Coleman
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
If Elisha Justice isn't top 10 he has to be close.
Does Frank Selvy make the list? scored 100
Pulp Fiction Wrote:If these four guys are left off any list of Top Players from the Mountains.... then the list is trash.

Wah Wah Jones
John Pelphrey
J.R. Vanhoose
King Kelly Coleman

Wah Wah is my cousin. lol
Todd May
Wah Wah Jones
King Kelly
J.R. VanHoose
Phil Cox
Richie Farmer
Frank Selvy
Charlie Osborne
Johnny Cox
Peggy Gay Moore
Geri Grigsby

Smile
What about Grady Wallace? Betsy layne to pikeville then to the South Carolina gamecocks and then drafted by the Celtics. Division 1 scoring leader, all American first team. First team acc and first players number retired by South Carolina
K40 Wrote:Todd May
Wah Wah Jones
King Kelly
J.R. VanHoose
Phil Cox
Richie Farmer
Frank Selvy
Charlie Osborne
Johnny Cox
Peggy Gay Moore
Geri Grigsby

Smile

+1 for Peggy Moore and Geri Grigsby
Ill always throw a plug in for Geri grigsby. She was a phenominal player and scorer. Still holds national and state scoring records. Over 4'300 points in 3 seasons. Over 1800 her senior season alone.. I knew her daddy too, he played a season for rupp at UK.Her brother was a pretty good high school player.
I always thought it was cool that her and King Kelly Coleman grew up and played so close to each other in the same county..Two players that accounted for more than 8'600 points grew up in the same county just a a little ways from each other in little eastern,ky coal camps..Must have been something in the water..Over 8'600, let that sink in for a minute.
Wah Wah Jones
King Kelly
J.R. VanHoose
Phil Cox
Richie Farmer
Frank Selvy
Charlie Osborne
Johnny Cox
Peggy Gay Moore
Geri Grigsby

Smile

Add Larry Conley Ashland, Jim Rose Hazard, Camron Justice Knott County Central to this list.
KentuckyFan35 Wrote:Add Larry Conley Ashland, Jim Rose Hazard, Camron Justice Knott County Central to this list.

Add Tim Couch around the top of any list...
Stuart Miller was a special player from Middlesboro. Played for Pitino at Louisville for two years and then at LMU for two years.
Elisha Justice is definitely in the top ten and I think Jody Thompson should be there to if they won Mr. Basketball they should be in
Wah Wah Jones
King Kelly
J.R. VanHoose
Phil Cox
Richie Farmer
Frank Selvy
Charlie Osborne
Johnny Cox
Peggy Gay Moore
Geri Grigsby

Smile

Most complete list yet.
Cant argue with this one if were going for biggest and best names ever from the mountains. There is a plethora of talent in the mountains that may have been close to this bunch, but didn't have near the success or name recognition.

Even though South was in the 12th at the time, Walt Allen, Mr. Basketball, has to be added. Corey Sears. (A LOT of Corbin and Clay) players, etc. are in that next tier I would think.
Stacy Reed (Jeff Shepherds wife) was a monster when she played at South.
There is a lot of Mountain talent worthy of a top 10. But the weight of the name and the impact of the player are huge factors, IMO.
Erving Stepp best I ever watched
Richie Farmer
JR Vanhoose
John Pelphrey
Nick Sanford
Phil Cox
Todd May
Ervin Stepp
King Kelly
Wah Wah Jones
Johnny Cox
Gotta throw Larry Stamper from Lee County into the discussion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON