Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perry Central Football
zaga_fan Wrote:I was there through all of that crap, ladies.
We suffered through an 0-10 season in 2000 with Coach Searcy and then a 3-7 one in 2001 before they went to Browne.

The schedule was loaded with some easy wins for Brown, but at the same time, not many teams around here were going to compete for that district's title as stacked as it was.

With Browne's first run at Perry, he had Tewayne Willis (signed to play running back at Kentucky) and Al Holland (signed to play QB for Wake Forest) in the backfield. Justin Lamb at WR, Jonathan Watts and Dennis Estep on defense, several talented linemen. I think they went to Clint Perry at RB after Tewayne left and I don't know if Browne coached after when Tewayne's brother Brandon was the feature back. That team was really talented and I always felt coach Browne was a good coach, but was never able to break through the glass ceiling.

Browne never had "very very bad" teams at Perry. When he came back to Perry he had Jordan Amis at QB, some very talented WRs and the best linebacker I've ever seen come through the mountains (Matt Robinson).

I will concede the teams at Perry were not successful when he got there - but in both his runs at Perry he just had some kids that needed a year or so to develop. Haddix did benefit from a good team when he got there, but let's not look down on his accomplishments at Perry.

As much success as Bert Browne had at Perry, the man NEVER won a playoff game. I don't know how most of you guys measure success, but that isn't anything to write home about. Again, I think Bert is a good coach. But don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Tewayne Willis did not signed with UK, he was a walk on.
cj2561 Wrote:Tewayne Willis did not signed with UK, he was a walk on.

And made the travel squad, on an SEC team, as a freshman, as a walk-on. Led the state in scoring in 2002. What's your point? The guy was a hell of an athlete.
I thought for sure he signed - but my memory from those days is pretty foggy and I could just be remembering an official commitment.

Also, on Browne's Commodores beating Breathitt when they were good - that's also a stretch. Breathitt was on the decline but were blessed with a hell of a running back/athlete in Channing Fugate. Another example of the Perry County feeder program benefiting other schools.

Regardless, I think coach Browne was a good coach for the Commodores and he had success here. All you can ask is that a coach wins games and I would venture to say no coach at Perry Central has won more than him.

Just kills me to here anyone dismiss what Coach Haddix was able to do, but I think Perry (although in rough shape at the moment) has some really talented kids on the squad and will improve the next few years.
who was the coach there when willis lead the state in scoring?
Breathitt made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs that year
I am not dismissing what haddix did at all I think he is a heck of a coach BUT brown left them in good shape when he left and brown both times he went to perry took over an awful program.
Take a knee.
Take a knee.
Take a knee.
Take a knee.

Much like the game vs hazard in 05ish, I think you should just take a knee on this thread coach.
here is the break down.
Browne 2002. 2006-2009. 27-27. 2002 7-4, 2006 1-9, 2007 7-4, 2008 5-6, 2009 7-4. and also 1-3 again Hazard.

Chappell 2003-2005 10-22. 2003 5-6, 2004 4-7, 2005 1-9, but 2-1 again Hazard.

Haddix 2010-2013 26-20. 2010 7-4, 2011 9-3, 2012 4-7, 2013 6-6.

i put Chappell in there to show the record from 2002 to 2013.
1-3 vs haz and 0 playoff wins in a much less competitive district/region then perry had faced in the past.

Brownes a good coach, I hear his fantasy team does real well this time of year lol.
Eagle, you are either Browne or his girlfriend....... at the very least, family. Give us a break!
Perry Central has to change their culture or else they will always remain an average at best type of program.

As long as the best athletes solely want to play basketball, as long as the feeder system remains mediocre, and as long as Hazard always draws the best football players in town... Perry Central will remain under the Mendoza line in the scope of 5A football.
you guys are right the guy cant coach and haddix is the reason perry won football games. my bad. the guy won on 2 different occasions at perry that is all I am saying
I don't know the guy but I have seen his teams play and always thought they looked well coached. Forgive me for defending the guy, who's family do you all belong to!!! Wish Clay would have hired him, I don't think football season would be over in clay county after next week.
I have read this thread for days and as a person that has talked, coached and watched all three guys that are getting all the pub in this thread in Bert Browne, Justin Haddix and Tom Larkey, here is my take. All three are excellent coaches in their own right and all have done some excellent work, Larkey more so at other schools. Bert Browne made football important at PCC and in my opinion paved the way for some great athletes to play football. He's very innovative on offense and let's be clear, no matter the schedule when you win at places like Perry it affords opportunities to advance to places like Madison Central and Corbin. Justin Haddix is an excellent coach as well and made the most of his situation at PCC and is doing outstanding at Corbin. Those two guys have been the most productive guys in the history of the school and are good football coaches. Coach Larkey was great at Rockcastle County and Harlan Co, but his grade is an incomplete as two years don't make or break a coach. Anyhow just my two cents and I'm not related to any of the above mentioned coaches. On a side-note that facility is the best I've seen on game night and that includes Corbin, Madison Central and Bell County. So that's not the problem......
The Eagle has landed Wrote:Breathitt made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs that year

Playoff wins against two teams with losing records.
Breathitt won a weak district that year and was 1-5 going into district play.

I don't get why this argument has gone on as long as it did.
All I'm saying is that Haddix took Perry Central to another level.
Browne had a part in getting him there and that's something he should be proud of - but you can look at what Haddix is doing at Corbin right now and see that he is a big time coach.
Haddix can coach. PCC needs to change their whole culture. Need to care about football as much as basketball. Kids will continue to go across to the Bulldogs until they sense football is important.
Haddix is a very good coach but last time I checked Corbin has been very very very good over the last 40 or so years.
Corbin has always had a very prideful and successful team for the most part. But a few years ago, they went down pretty bad. Haddix has brought them back. As recently as last year, Corbin was struggling. Knox Central beat them last year 36 to 0. This year, last night as a matter of fact, Corbin beat Knox Central 39 to 0.
Granny Bear Wrote:Corbin has always had a very prideful and successful team for the most part. But a few years ago, they went down pretty bad. Haddix has brought them back. As recently as last year, Corbin was struggling. Knox Central beat them last year 36 to 0. This year, last night as a matter of fact, Corbin beat Knox Central 39 to 0.

Browne would evidently win an NFL championship at Corbin, Granny.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say zaga baby!
The Eagle has landed Wrote:you guys are right the guy cant coach and haddix is the reason perry won football games. my bad. the guy won on 2 different occasions at perry that is all I am saying

if he can coach way didn't he keep that job in college football. I don't care if it is div 2. it is still college football, and he was making 100 time the money then high school football. what I am saying. he coach college, then come to PCC, then back to college then back to PCC then I guess MCHS, then they fire him. I don't know were he is at now. I guess the college he was at fire him also.
I once again don't have a dog in the fight as everyone has an opinion, but facts are Coach Haddix is doing wonderful at Corbin and Coach Browne is doing well at East Jessamine, as an assistant as they won their program's first district title. Facts are Browne left the college position to care for a sick father, so he certainly wasn't fired. I looked it up on Riherds to be sure, but he did win the only district Madison Central has won the past SEVEN years and that was two years after taking over a winless team, which it might have now been the only district title the past decade. The Madison Central deal was a bad one and most know that story, so that had nothing to do with his coaching but who they thought they were getting if they replaced him. Bash him if you want, not sure how any of this helps Perry Central Football???
Some schools just don't have the mental fortitude to go from pushover to powerhouse.
I'm convinced their are some teams that could hire belicheck, take the states top 11 players on defense and offense and still findo a way to finish below .500

Look at it like this, take half of bowling greens players, change there minds to being born and raised in hazard, and perry would probably look the same.

Who knows what it is, but that mental block exist.
Gotta have that money from the administration too. While the politically correct nonsense of title 9 forces equal money to be distributed to non money making sports, football has to foot the bill for all of them.
A little off topic here, but imagine doing away with girls sports all together, then do away with soccer and baseball, and golf, etc. Every school in the state would have arenas and 20000 seat stadiums.
Not saying it's right or wrong but some administrations do better at making the Financials work in their favor.
The mindset of the fans and elementary players has to be positive and know that they will all stick together and go to PCC to build a winning program. I saw this done at MC Napier in the 80's. We stuck together through 4 years posting a 8-3 record in 1982 and 10-2 with a loss to Prestonsburg in the playoffs. Prestonsburg was coached at that time by the legend who is at Belfry now. I saw what it takes to climb up the ladder I was the defensive captain on that team.
I've read some of these post's and tried to hold my tongue. But facts are facts and Justin Haddix was loaded with good players at pcc when he come and cubbard was bare when he left for Corbin where he went into another team that was loaded with good players. PCC will be back in couple years as the cycle goes around. [ Justin quit he wasent fired.] Nothing wrong at pcc just some people outside the program that try to keep feeding kids BS and why i dont know unless its to get them to their schools.
The youth programs is were your Highschool program is headed. I believe that the more youth teams you have the better your program going to be because you get more kids playing. Perry is 5A football they have a bunch of kids in there youth league im told but when they get to Highschool they have 34 players. Something happens between 3/4 5/6 grade years to Highschool? I dont know if it the kids or parents coaches or what but to me there should be 2 7/8th grade teams at least 3 to 4 5/6 grade teams. I know enrollments went down. But to play 5A football just having 1 middle school team is not going to get it done and half of them will probably not going to play or go to Hazard by the time Highschool comes around. Thats got to stop! Perry needs at least 15-20 players a year coming out of the middle school program to Highschool to be successful and there not getting it. Next year they have a new school opening with probably 700 kids but wil only have one middleschool team? There should be 2 midleschool teams. 3 to 4 5/6/ grade teams. And support the football program as a whole from the gradeschool up to Highschool. I know this is a Basketball County October 15th comes around Football over everyone ready to play basketball. So to me get the grade school program going have more than 1 middle school team get as many teams as possible you got to have numbers Kids from these other schools may turn out to be a hidden stars but they dont play because there only one or two teams and may never hardly get in the game. you need numbers Perry County to play 5A football.
Got to disagree with having so many teams at the 4-6 grade levels Hoghead. I think they need to get some quality coaches for these younger kids. Put a little money out and hire 2 good coaches. Run the same things as the high school program. I think one 6th grade team would be adequate with the small numbers this county has. Only 6th graders on that team. Go out and play the best teams in the area. Learn how to win at an Early Age. What is the purpose of beating up on each other and being the King of Perry County when you cant beat anyone outside of the county that's pretty good. Maybe we would do better with a 7th grade team and a 8th grade team. You could play your league ball with 2/3rd and 4th/5th. But after those years your going to need better coaching, more discipline, and start putting kids where they are looking at playing in the future. We have had all these teams at all these levels in the past and it hasn't worked. May need to make things more simple and start making kids compete for their spots instead of coaches having to play kids that show up here and there when they want and still get to play. Yeah I know its 5A but its still 11 vs 11. I don't know all the answers either but I wished they would try someone new. Take your best and play them together, have quality practices, hire coaches without kids playing, and go out and play the best at an early age. Take a few beatings along the way. Work on your weaknesses and improve your strengths. I feel like if Ovie Canady stays around here long enough he will get the Youth programs improved. He already has made a lot of progress. Works harder than anyone I know that's ever worked with the younger kids. Hope nothing but the best for our football program.