Poll: Who wins this battle of 3A vs. 2A?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
96.67%
Newport Central Catholic
3.33%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry @ Newport Central Catholic 9-9-16
Sorry to burst some bubbles but, BG is most definitely the second best team in the state.
mysonis55 Wrote:Sorry to burst some bubbles but, BG is most definitely the second best team in the state.

I agree.. havent seen anything to prove otherwise as well with them destroying X and Christian County (two good teams)

I think Belfry has an argument for 3rd or 4th.. right now I would put Male at 3rd out of respect but I get the suspicion the Bulldogs are about to get smoked by Trinity.

Truth be told until Belfry navigates this next stretch I thing it is premature to predict anything.

If Belfry can roll Knoxville Catholic, NewCath, Pikeville, and Cabell Midland then the discussion can quickly become fun.
proud44pirate Wrote:Would love to see a Belfry vs Trinity game.

In the voice of Lee Corso " Not so fast my friend ".
We all know Belfry is great, but baby steps before you start asking for Trinity.
Lafayette
Scott Co
Male
Saint X
Bowling Green
Johnson Central
Prove you can beat any of those teams mentioned, perhaps Trinity would consider putting you all in their schedule. ( I know Belfry has beaten JC in the past, but they are your mountain rivals and you all take turns beating each other )
mysonis55 Wrote:Sorry to burst some bubbles but, BG is most definitely the second best team in the state.
True
FBfan4life Wrote:In the voice of Lee Corso " Not so fast my friend ".
We all know Belfry is great, but baby steps before you start asking for Trinity.
Lafayette
Scott Co
Male
Saint X
Bowling Green
Johnson Central
Prove you can beat any of those teams mentioned, perhaps Trinity would consider putting you all in their schedule. ( I know Belfry has beaten JC in the past, but they are your mountain rivals and you all take turns beating each other )

For the record the only teams on that list (besides Trinity) I wouldn't like this specific 2016 Belfry team's chances against as of this moment are Bowling Green and Male.

2017 Belfry? That's a whole different story.. thats a lot of firepower you are losing in a hurry. To the criticism of fellow Belfry fans I am reluctant to even consider them a Top 5 team in 3A this far out knowing just what they are losing.

But solely speaking for this 2016 team.. this is truly a special team and with the rest of the Bluegrass State seemingly being down a little save Trinity and BG... it is not entirely far fetched to think Belfry could compete with the State's Elite

I honestly thought last year's team was a Top 5-7 team in the entire State. When was the last time you saw a team running clock the State Finals, dominate the TN 4A State Champs, dominate the 1A State Champs, running clock the 4A Runner-Up, and dominate the 2A Runner-Up?

If that is true, then Belfry may potentially have a hypthetical case considering they return 9 starters each way and none of the teams above them return that much experience.

Once again though, this is all premature. After this stretch of four weeks we can start debating how good Belfry is or isn't. If Belfry goes 4-0 they legitimize themselves as a Top 5 team IMHO. Depending on the margin of that CM and KnoxCath game will let you know if they have any semblance of an argument at #2 or #3. A loss during this stretch, especially with midland not being as dominant as last year, and I think Belfry has no shot at an argument.
It's a good thing I was taught if I didn't have anything good to say then don't say anything so let's get back to Belfry and Newport Cath
Ok, here's the way I see it. Yes, Belfry is a great team. Most of the Mayfield people I know even pull for them at state. I guess it's because we usually stay in the same hotel at BG and have met several of the fans. I do not in any way mean to degrade them. I just think they have some that are over the top thinking how great they are. I would not in any way put my Cards in the top 5-7 teams in the state, due to size. Now, I will go further with this. I just said, I would not put Mayfield up there or say they are better than BG. With that said, Belfry played a common opponent last year in NCC. Mayfield won by 10 and Belfry by 18. Both return most of their players and appear to be better this year than last. I get it, they are very good but, let's keep it real.
mysonis55 Wrote:Ok, here's the way I see it. Yes, Belfry is a great team. Most of the Mayfield people I know even pull for them at state. I guess it's because we usually stay in the same hotel at BG and have met several of the fans. I do not in any way mean to degrade them. I just think they have some that are over the top thinking how great they are. I would not in any way put my Cards in the top 5-7 teams in the state, due to size. Now, I will go further with this. I just said, I would not put Mayfield up there or say they are better than BG. With that said, Belfry played a common opponent last year in NCC. Mayfield won by 10 and Belfry by 18. Both return most of their players and appear to be better this year than last. I get it, they are very good but, let's keep it real.

Belfry beat NCC with a Freshman QB starting over a suspended Noah Corbett and without leading rusher X Willis who was also suspended

They also share two common opponents... Corbin is the other one

Belfry beat Corbin 42-14, Mayfield won 28-14

Size is also the one thing Belfry doesn't have to worry about when comparing to other teams in the State. Probably the biggest and best OLine in KY and the DLine is right there with them..with maybe South Warren being the only team as big and talented on the Defensive Front as Belfry

9 Starters each way from a team who beat two State Champs, and three State Runner-Ups by a combined score of 184-32.

Let's call it what it is... if this were a 5A School with those credentials or someone named Highlands there would be no question about the validity
If they hold us to 35 or less our line didn't come ready to play.
mysonis55 Wrote:Ok, here's the way I see it. Yes, Belfry is a great team. Most of the Mayfield people I know even pull for them at state. I guess it's because we usually stay in the same hotel at BG and have met several of the fans. I do not in any way mean to degrade them. I just think they have some that are over the top thinking how great they are. I would not in any way put my Cards in the top 5-7 teams in the state, due to size. Now, I will go further with this. I just said, I would not put Mayfield up there or say they are better than BG. With that said, Belfry played a common opponent last year in NCC. Mayfield won by 10 and Belfry by 18. Both return most of their players and appear to be better this year than last. I get it, they are very good but, let's keep it real.

Also, FWIW despite their lack of size and roster numbers I would consider Mayfield a Top 10-15 team overall in KY and would put them over numerous highly rated 6A and 5A programs. Those boys can play football and I would take a 30 man team with elite coaching and experienced play makers over a team like a Christian County or Central Hardin every time.
Trinity doesn't have any team on there schedule ranked as high as Belfry besides Brentwood. Trinity could gain a lot of national points playing Belfry.
NCC is still a class away from being solid. If Kyle Kelly continues what he started last week in his first game a tailback, he will may well establish himself as the best of his three older brothers, all who played college football after leading an unstoppable run game. As a sophomore, he is the real deal in the back-field.
The Corbin game we played without Trajon Bright in a downpour. We used our back up back and then moved a reciever to back. This was the first game without Bright. It was further limiting in the fact that it was raining so hard we couldn't get the passing game going.

As I said, I'm not trying to disrespect anyone. I just think some need to keep it real. I fully expect Belfry to run away with 3a. That being with their only challenge coming from Corbin. It is a shame that Corbin can't get a waiver to join the west so we could get both of them on the carpet.
mysonis55 Wrote:The Corbin game we played without Trajon Bright in a downpour. We used our back up back and then moved a reciever to back. This was the first game without Bright. It was further limiting in the fact that it was raining so hard we couldn't get the passing game going.

As I said, I'm not trying to disrespect anyone. I just think some need to keep it real. I fully expect Belfry to run away with 3a. That being with their only challenge coming from Corbin. It is a shame that Corbin can't get a waiver to join the west so we could get both of them on the carpet.

I never did know why mayfield never show the stats in 2014 state Championship game. 1A Williamsburg stop Trajon Bright. :pondering:
Sorry about that Belfry fan somebody had to slow myboyis55 down Confusednicker:
64, I don't think Mayfield blocked any stats. They certainly showed the one that mattered the most. It was the one with Mayfield 1 point ahead as the game ended. I think the stopping Bright thing was due more to the line play than the back play. Enjoy those two silver balls 64. We have 9 of those. Oh, by the way, we also have twelve of the gold balls.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:Last year when these two teams met Belfry had a Freshman at QB in what I believe was only his second start ever (could have been his first) and they handled things pretty well. This year the starting QB is back in and the team has been firing on all cylinders. I don't think it will be another first half score fest turning into a running clock but the Pirates will score at least 35 in a winning effort.
Yes last year our QB and starting RB was out for this game
Belfry will not get a break on the river this game will be closer than you think. But belfry wins. Belfry 34 NCC 17
Belfry 9808019808431012389798891
NCC 3
All this talk about who's better...this team or that team....is just for the fans. IMO, the coaches and the kids could care less. Only thing on Belfry's mind is the very next game....and getting another win in Bowling Green. That's their goal....and quite honestly...this team seems to be pretty focused to that end. Most important thing for this team is to get healthy. They continue to labor with nagging injuries. The injury bug is the single biggest fly in the ointment at this point.
Any chance this game will be live streamed?
Does anyone know if the football field is at the high school? Does it have a name or address?
Belfry_99 Wrote:Any chance this game will be live streamed?

Radio stream on WDHR.com. I don't know about a video stream.
bucslover68 Wrote:Does anyone know if the football field is at the high school? Does it have a name or address?

Newport Stadium

Do not think it is at a school
NewCath home games are played at Newport High School

900 E 6th St
Newport KY 41071
Belfry with a running clock. This one will be fun to watch.
Make sure you keep Nee in line tomorrow night!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:NewCath home games are played at Newport High School

900 E 6th St
Newport KY 41071

Is that Belleview Stadium?
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Is that Belleview Stadium?

Newport Stadium at Newport HS. Bellevue plays at Gilligan Stadium whichliterally is just on the opposite side of 471 which you see in the google map image below

Belfry fans can reminisce about the frigid 1985 Semi-Final that Belfry won there

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0994016,...a=!3m1!1e3
Monsters of the midway headed to the river. It will be ugly.