•  Previous
  • 10(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland 2016
True that.hehehehe
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Rams by eleventy billion!!!

Eleventy billion and 1.
Been quiet a day or so.... So are we ready for some 7 on 7s....
I think ur seeing a result of a chance within Ramnation. From the HC all the way down to the fans, less talk, more prep, more focus. Leave no doubt though. As it gets closer to team camp, things will start to pick up. I can say for sure though, there is alot of hard work and decipline being put in by the kids. Most havent let up on their workouts since the winter strength and conditioning started. No real "team" stuff going on right now. But i know that many of the jrs and srs are working out together along with doing football related stuff on their own. I think theres been a change from the too down. And it seems to be very positive.
Anyone got a potential lineup of starters for the rams on offense and defense?
My guess...

Offense:
QB Nathaniel Davidson (a healthy Davidson is a game changer and with a full season under his belt at a position he'd never played before i expect leadership and high production)

RB Bailey Walker (expecting a big year for him, has the potential to be Pugh-esk)
RB Chase Love (reminds me of Daniel Vanderhoof)
RB/WR Judd Adkins (Another Pikeville comparison here, if healthy reminds me of a young Chase Hall)

WR John Cherry (has grown up, filled out and gotten faster this offseason. One of my "wow" guys when it comes to dedication to the weight room)
WR Cam Webb (kid is really fast, great hands, and tough as nails. A bit undersized but more than makes up for it with heart)
WR Damon Black (my only real ??? On the offense but he needs to be on the field)

OT Isaac Wallace (4 year starter. Again if he is healthy, look out)
G Jerome Hall (short and stalky, strong as an ox and very light on his feet)
C Justin Fairchild (huge potential)
G Jared Manis/Logan Mauk/Morgan Carmen
OT Jake Dixon/Logan Mauk/Morgan Carmen

Defense:
DE Jared Manis
DT Jerome Hall
NG Justin Fairchild (when we use a 5 man front)
DT Isaac Wallace
DE Morgan Carmen

LB Bailey Walker
LB Blake Whitt
LB Chase Love

DB John Cherry
DB Cam Webb
DB Josh Clark
DB Damon Black

Realistically one side of the OL has some question marks. Camp will tell us alot more. But this is my guess.

Another big question mark for me, as always is special teams. Kick offs have been a big issue and thorn in Raceland's side since time began outside of Pettery, Cole Thomas (rip big man), and Jacob Sparks.

Its going to be interesting to see what kind of depth we actually end up having and how it is used. On paper though, we should be able to go two deep upfront. While there will be a drop off, it wont be so much that we shouldnt be able to speel guys a series or two each quarter. Ive watched and asst coached this sr class since they were in flag. So they are close to my heart. If they play to their potential and they have the leadership they have always seemed to have on the field, this could be the year that we dont shoot ourselves in the foot. But time will tell.
Forgot about Alex Whitlett. Big strong senior, will likely see alot of playing time, if not a starting roll on the OL/DL.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:My guess...

Offense:
QB Nathaniel Davidson (a healthy Davidson is a game changer and with a full season under his belt at a position he'd never played before i expect leadership and high production)

RB Bailey Walker (expecting a big year for him, has the potential to be Pugh-esk)
RB Chase Love (reminds me of Daniel Vanderhoof)
RB/WR Judd Adkins (Another Pikeville comparison here, if healthy reminds me of a young Chase Hall)

WR John Cherry (has grown up, filled out and gotten faster this offseason. One of my "wow" guys when it comes to dedication to the weight room)
WR Cam Webb (kid is really fast, great hands, and tough as nails. A bit undersized but more than makes up for it with heart)
WR Damon Black (my only real ??? On the offense but he needs to be on the field)

OT Isaac Wallace (4 year starter. Again if he is healthy, look out)
G Jerome Hall (short and stalky, strong as an ox and very light on his feet)
C Justin Fairchild (huge potential)
G Jared Manis/Logan Mauk/Morgan Carmen
OT Jake Dixon/Logan Mauk/Morgan Carmen

Defense:
DE Jared Manis
DT Jerome Hall
NG Justin Fairchild (when we use a 5 man front)
DT Isaac Wallace
DE Morgan Carmen

LB Bailey Walker
LB Blake Whitt
LB Chase Love

DB John Cherry
DB Cam Webb
DB Josh Clark
DB Damon Black

Realistically one side of the OL has some question marks. Camp will tell us alot more. But this is my guess.

Another big question mark for me, as always is special teams. Kick offs have been a big issue and thorn in Raceland's side since time began outside of Pettery, Cole Thomas (rip big man), and Jacob Sparks.

Its going to be interesting to see what kind of depth we actually end up having and how it is used. On paper though, we should be able to go two deep upfront. While there will be a drop off, it wont be so much that we shouldnt be able to speel guys a series or two each quarter. Ive watched and asst coached this sr class since they were in flag. So they are close to my heart. If they play to their potential and they have the leadership they have always seemed to have on the field, this could be the year that we dont shoot ourselves in the foot. But time will tell.

Nice break down Scotty... I know some need to play both ways but I hope to see them find some other guys to step up to give kids a couple of series off...
One good thing about replace tone side of the line you can put your experience you have returning that way they can teach the new guys what they are doing wrong and help if what the need help on..... What's the size along that line Scotty?
Pretty good, not incredibly big, as say a 2008 or 2013 line. Dont have the height. Wallace is 6'1/6'2 and around 280. Hall is probably 5'9ish and 230. Fairchild 5'10 240. Carmen 5'10ish 230. Willett 6' 260. Mauk 5'10 250/260 id say. BUT, this line and team in general kind of reminds me of the 2006 team. Not intimadatingly huge anywhere upfront, but will be very mobile and strong.

Lots of big hitters and good tacklers in the front 7 defensively and the secondary actually looked alot better than I had anticipated last year. I expect it to be improved this year. So across the board defensively I expect us to be better and give up less points.
LT-Jerome Hall
LG-Issac Wallace
C-Justin Fairchild
RG-Mauk, Willett, Dixon, or Ferguson
RT-Jared Manis

DE-Jared Manis
DT-Jerome Hall
NT-Justin Fairchild
DT-Issac Wallace
DE-Morgan Carmen (if he plays)-hasn't
been in spring
Weightlifting.
If Carmen doesnt play, look for Hall to move to DE and Fairchild to DT. Ferguson could also see time at DE.
Forgot about Tyus. Good size and quickness. If he has the same hair cut as last year it makes him about 6 foot 13 lol. Not sure how tall he actually is, but that fro was impressive
I was very impressed with the sheer numbers of strong athletes from Raceland at the Raceland and Boyd County power lifting events. They had a lot of strong guys across the board. Also, they were very nice young men.
Less than a week away , dead period will be over
I thought the dead period was over on Monday.
Who do u all look to have a break out year? Will it be Bailey? Maybe Damon? Nathaniel? From the looks of things, Bailey and Nathaniel will see the bulk of the carries. But I expect Chase Love to be a nice change of pace back and Judd to have a few games where he breaks loose. Towards the end of last year we started to show signs of using Cam Webb on the Jet sweep as well, i hope that continues. My biggest gripe with the play calling has been predictability. But alot of that, imo, was due to a first year QB. I think Mike will open up the playbook a little more this year. Another question I have is who will be the back up QB? My gut says Damon in a pinch. But who do u all think they will be grooming to take over next year, or after Damon graduates in 2 years? Just trying to keep the ball rolling here.
Your dreaming about the play book Scotty.I asked Mike one time.....why not put Mac Boggs at tight end.The kid would have been great at that position. Mike said we really don't use a tight end.This is what I'm talking about. I think you need to look at what u have every year and change your team to the talent you have.This isn't D1 where you go out and recruit what you need,you have to use what you got and Mac would've been one hell of a tight end for us.Like I said.......coaching always has us coming up short and it always will.
Nathaniel and Bailey will carry the majority of the load , Bailey will be able to get to the edge this year being 100% healthy . Damon will get his chance just in the backfield or in the slot just not sure if he will take advantage of it , last year what little he played varsity it showed that he wasn't ready at all , I look for Judd Adkins to fill that role and be able to give Bailey some breaks. The future QB is calub Dameron , Hoof is the new QB coach and he is really working on fundamentals , more so than last few years without him on the staff
RAMDAD50 Wrote:Your dreaming about the play book Scotty.I asked Mike one time.....why not put Mac Boggs at tight end.The kid would have been great at that position. Mike said we really don't use a tight end.This is what I'm talking about. I think you need to look at what u have every year and change your team to the talent you have.This isn't D1 where you go out and recruit what you need,you have to use what you got and Mac would've been one hell of a tight end for us.Like I said.......coaching always has us coming up short and it always will.
I don't think Mac could have caught the ball as a tight end if that is what you're implying. We did however use mac as a tight end when in the heavy package. Coaches know more than what you think.
It's not their intelligence it's their habits.Ive been around Raceland football for a long long time and all the coaches speak the same language.This is what we do at Raceland....we run it this way..... this is what we are.this is why we have only two regional titles and haven't even sniffed a state championship apperance.Just don't think we have ever had a coach that adapts very well.They kind of get set in their ways.
RAMDAD50 Wrote:It's not their intelligence it's their habits.Ive been around Raceland football for a long long time and all the coaches speak the same language.This is what we do at Raceland....we run it this way..... this is what we are.this is why we have only two regional titles and haven't even sniffed a state championship apperance.Just don't think we have ever had a coach that adapts very well.They kind of get set in their ways.

Some people take offense to others giving there two cents or insight. I agree you must adjust to your talent and skills your team returns..I thought Raceland needed to run the ball more last year... I form and really not out of the shot gun...
I look for Judd, if healthy to be a big name at Raceland by the time he graduates. Hunter Lacks has alot of potential as well.
bac2369 Wrote:Some people take offense to others giving there two cents or insight. I agree you must adjust to your talent and skills your team returns..I thought Raceland needed to run the ball more last year... I form and really not out of the shot gun...
I simply stated that the coaches know more than what you think. I played for Mike and with Mac. Hard to truly know a players potential without being around them in practice. I think that Raceland has always tried to have the best 11 players on the football field at all times. Thats how coaches run it at Raceland.
Eh, we all poke and prod from time to time. But one thing I know for sure is they are doing what they feel is best. There is a certain errogance (now hear me out Im including myself and those close to me in that regaurd) that comes with being a head coach at any level. you have to have it. In any sport, I think that is a quality all coaches possess. Its your rear end on the line if things go bad. Its you that takes all the heat, or atleast should be. BTR, Hoof, TJ, and now Mike have all had that quality and I am in no way saying that it is a bad thing.

The phrase "too many chiefs and not enough indians" comes to mind here for me as well. That is a big issue among alot of JFL-Jr high teams. Someone has to have the final say.

Now with all of this said, I feel like the best coaches let their position guys coach, not only in practices, but games as well. Mike seems to do that very well. And I really like the decisions he has made in regaurds to moving Hoof to the QB coaching job to replace the roll vacated by Scott. It provides stability and experience that Nathaniel, Damon, and Caleb can depend on. Hoof always had a good relationship with his QBs and put a kid on the field that was able to lead and be depended on, not only to do his job, but help out guys that were struggling with theirs. Ie: Aaron Boyd, Pettery, Grizzle, Boyles, Elkins, and now Nathaniel.

Touching on last year, moving Lewis to DC was a great move. Man has been around qualtiy football programs for nearly 50 years. Coached under Lutz at Ironton, a great man and a great leader of our boys. I think you'll see an even better defense on the field this year.

The biggest and best move he has made, imo, is moving Francis to the OL coach. The beefers upfront are in good hands and it will show. Mike is an incredible football mind and imo, could be a great HC at the highschool level. Above all, Mike Francis is a good man.

Mike Salmons is a great HC in these regaurds. Do I have hang ups about his play calling? Absolutely, but he is doing the best he can and what he feels puts the Rams in the best position to win. Gotta have broad shoulders in this football community. Proud to be a part of it no matter how much I may gripe.
Mikes play calling has a lot to do with down and distance especially last year when you have a kid who's never played QB and a line who really struggled at times. Mike does a great job and has a surrounding cast that is second to none , any team would love to have hoof, Lewis , Fannin or Francis . I think a lot of people forget mike is a new head coach and has to learn things just like everyone else and I'm sure last year was a big lesson for him
I agree. I think early in his first season as HC, you had lot of leadership, experience, and tallent. That allowed him to be a little more hands off. Last year, we had the tallent and experience, but there was a disturbance in the force lol and lacked leadership and 4 games in, its looking bleak. You wont see that again imo. No matter how much tallent or experience we do or do not have on the field.
I disagree with you on one thing Scotty.I think your QB coach should be you OC.Just because you get to spend that extra time with your QB,you get to see what he is most comfortable with throwing in certain situations.You get to see his mind work as he is running drills in practice.Just my thinking.... It's probably wrong but it's mine Hahahaha
No, I see what u r saying and agree. That is why I like the move of Hoof at QB coach. He knows the offense. Again, I think the playbook opens up more. You can't compare Nathaniel to him, but I think the play calling will look more like it did in 2008 when Boyles was at QB. No offense to Nathaniel, but he is not Tyler Boyles, who imo, may be the best all around QB Raceland has had. But, Nathaniel possesses alot of the attributes he did in his ability to Run and throw. Tyler is just a freak brain when it comes to the gridiron, which is why he is flying up the ranks as a collegiate football coach.

But, with an extra year under his belt, several camps, and being healthy, you will see a different QB on the field this year in Nathaniel.

Its going to be a collective effort, but I THINK we will see a different team than we did last year for sure, possibly thats ever taken the field at Raceland. BUT, games are not won on potential and on paper and sure as hell not on these message boards lol. So these boys have to get out there and do it. They can, but will they? Im still not sold.
How do you think our record will be by the end of the season? Here is my pre season guess.
West Carter-Win
Ashland-Win (It is Ashland though)
East Carter-Win
Greenup-Win (this one is going to be a tough greenup is closing the gap)
Valley-Tossup (don't know what they are returning but most ohio schools are tough.)
Portsmouth West-Win (you never know though playing in ohio)
Lawrence County-Win (hopefully we don't need a miracle fumble like last year)
Fairview-Win (They are losing way too much for me to see them upset us)
Paintsville-Tossup (I think that how Phelps plays and how the Rams defense plays will decide this one. Pikeville exposed Paintsville's offense last year in the semis not having Kash Daniel.)
Russell-Win (Hopefully we make it 7 in a row on the Devils.)
Potentially 10-0. WITH THAT SAID. Valley lost the house but are essentially like Ashland. Even when down, they're still a pretty damn good football team. It's hard to win in Portsmouth no matter which one u play. This group of Greenup Co seniors (from all the co schools) have had some incredible football games over the years, from JFL on up. So those could be toss ups. Paintsville right now is a one demensional team that lost alot up front.

We could run the table in the regular season, but I dont think it's likely. I think we will drop one to the ohio schools and then drop one of our rival games outside of the district. Im saying 8-2/7-3. But I outside of the Carter Co games, I dont see many blow outs, if any. Several playoff atmosphere games, which I like ALOT. Losing Sheldon Clark and picking up Valley was a huge boost to our schedule. Hope that game stays on the schedule. Good program and a classy fan base.
It's a good schedule, I feel it's weaker than last years even though it's the same teams . Ashland , valley , Lawrence co and a kashless. Paintsville team all won't be as good as last years teams .still a very tough scheduel . Ashland will always be a tough game just because it's early so it will be extremely hot with the amount of players they play compared to what Raceland plays is a advantage for Ashland valley is a good program and Paintsville will be a tough team
  •  Previous
  • 10(current)
  • Next