•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland 2016
samson81 Wrote:Is there potential for a vertical passing game next season? Does Raceland have a big play WR on the roster?

They have a few with potential. John Cherry will likely be our possession guy. Good hands and tough, he just isnt a barn burner. Has the quickness and agility, just not a huge deal of break away speed. But he will be a solid target for Davidson. I look for Cam Webb to be the homerun reciever though. He broke out a little toward the end of the year last year. He is undersized but has alot of speed, sure hands, and tough as nails. Cam could potentially be a 1000 yard reciever. Nathaniel's confidence will be higher this year and I think you will see the play calling be reflective of that. With the line we have coming back and a horse like Bailey, Id like to see us go from under center some. But ive about given up on that happening. I think Judd Adkins and Hunter Lacks could be a good change of pace tandem. I think you will see Bailey getting 15 or more carries a game though. Nathaniel will get 10 or so from the QB spot, so you need another guy or two to pick up 10 or so carries between them. If consistent, the passing game, I think will be somewhere in the 10-15 attempts per game area. But, If Cam and John Cherry have developed on the field, like I think they have, you could potentially see that number in the 20s. We will still be a 60/40 run-pass team, atleast imo. Thoughts?
Scotty, I agree with you about going under center and embracing a more physical running game. With the returning O-line and a backfield consisting of Walker, Adkins, Lacks and maybe occasionally Damon Black, the Rams would have a lot of options in the running game.

Mix in some play action with the occasional deep ball to Webb and get the ball to Black in space and you've got a pretty good looking offense. Raceland should just hire me to run the offense. I've got it all figured out, lol.
Lol. U aint said nothing! Id be a little hasty in putting all my trust in u week 10 though!hahaha i think we need to use more play action, no matter what formation we are out of.
In all honesty though, the Rams SHOULD be more explosive offensively this year. I think you will see a more focused and determined squad this year as well. Hopefully all this ifs and buts are candies and nuts, so we can all have a merry christmas come December!
It's a new year , stop dwelling on last year . Bailey was hurt all year still played very good defense and ran for 400 or so . Isaac hurt his knee in team camp before the season started had surgery after the season but still played really well on both sides of the ball , Nathaniel tore a ligament in his ankle in the first game and still threw for 1300 and ran for 500 playing QB for the first time ever . All three took way to much critizen while NEVER missing a game . Tough nosed kids that love playing for the Rams . If I was going to battle those three would be going with me
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:They have a few with potential. John Cherry will likely be our possession guy. Good hands and tough, he just isnt a barn burner. Has the quickness and agility, just not a huge deal of break away speed. But he will be a solid target for Davidson. I look for Cam Webb to be the homerun reciever though. He broke out a little toward the end of the year last year. He is undersized but has alot of speed, sure hands, and tough as nails. Cam could potentially be a 1000 yard reciever. Nathaniel's confidence will be higher this year and I think you will see the play calling be reflective of that. With the line we have coming back and a horse like Bailey, Id like to see us go from under center some. But ive about given up on that happening. I think Judd Adkins and Hunter Lacks could be a good change of pace tandem. I think you will see Bailey getting 15 or more carries a game though. Nathaniel will get 10 or so from the QB spot, so you need another guy or two to pick up 10 or so carries between them. If consistent, the passing game, I think will be somewhere in the 10-15 attempts per game area. But, If Cam and John Cherry have developed on the field, like I think they have, you could potentially see that number in the 20s. We will still be a 60/40 run-pass team, atleast imo. Thoughts?

I agree Scotty on under center more for the rams. I think they should have did that last year. I like my hazard team for adjusting its offense to suit its personnel to give them the best opportunity to win instead of making a team run a offense that isn't suited for them.
anotherfootballnut Wrote:It's a new year , stop dwelling on last year . Bailey was hurt all year still played very good defense and ran for 400 or so . Isaac hurt his knee in team camp before the season started had surgery after the season but still played really well on both sides of the ball , Nathaniel tore a ligament in his ankle in the first game and still threw for 1300 and ran for 500 playing QB for the first time ever . All three took way to much critizen while NEVER missing a game . Tough nosed kids that love playing for the Rams . If I was going to battle those three would be going with me

I agree. I know ive beat a dead horse a bit. But make no mistake, I am very proud of the.turnaround the Rams made last year in the last 3 games of the season. I am especially proud of the three boys you mentioned, had I known what I know now, I wouldnt have been as hard on them last year. Very tough kids who dont give up. Their attitude and mindset were never an issue for me though. And it is because of that attitude and mindset, playing hurt, busting their ass this offseason, and playing for WE not ME, that has me feeling good about what type of leadership this team will have on the field. Really starting to think this could be the year that we are all finally right about the hype. Still alot of time between now and August though, they have to put the work in.
Scotty I was preaching to myself with that post s much as anyone else . And I think this could be the year but the proof is in the pudding
I kind of have a feeling that this year is finally going to be what I have been hoping for. Of course, having coached alot of the Sr class in JFL and watching them grow up, they are all like family, so I am a little biased. But they have the potential leave no ifs ands or buts in the air about who the best team, atleast in the 2010s to ever come theough Raceland was. If they exceed expectations, ie Beat Ashland, Greenup, Russell and Valley by 2 or more TDs each, they will enter the discussion of best teams to ever suit up at Raceland. They CAN do it. I look for the Russell and Greenup games to be some of the best in years. This sr class has had some epic battles with their county counter parts over the years. Does anyone have the definite schedule yet?
It's hard to believe that is already the time of year for some real football talk again. I expect the Rams to be much improved from last season. With that said, last season did leave me a bit jaded and I am not going all in on drinking the koolaid just yet. I do believe that the players on this year's team (as well as us silly fans) have learned a lesson in humility in regards to hype after what we saw last season. I don't look for the squad this season to come into any game expecting an easy win or for their opponent to lay down like we saw from the team last year.

The Rams will have some tests early on that should be a good measuring stick for what the season has in store. I believe this year the Rams have a very good shot at finally getting the Ashland monkey off their back that has seemed like a plague in the last few years. I look for the Greenup game to be a very tough game as Greenup is returning most of their players and this Musketeer squad will be hungry to knock off the Rams who have been the unofficial county champion the past few years. The same can be said for Russell as well. The Valley and Lawrence Co. games will be a game where we will have a good opportunity to see how good this team can truly be. This is especially true for the Lawrence County game as this game tends to be a turning point in the season for both teams. I don't look for Fairview to be very good this year with all they have lost but as we learned last year the Eagles cannot be overlooked. The Paintsville game will be a war this year. The Rams will come in with a serious chip on their shoulder and Will be looking to get the district title back. But it is still June and anything can happen between now and week 1 but I expect to see a much more focused team that will be playing one week at a time.
Schedule looks like the same as last year's.

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...fb16/48975

Should be another good schedule with several quality opponents. I'm not sure what to expect from West Carter. They might be building a winning culture in Olive Hill, but they lose a lot from last year's team.

Ashland is Ashland. It'll be a good early season test. Right now, on paper, I give the Rams the edge in that one.

East Carter's probably the easiest W on the schedule.

Greenup County is interesting. Can't wait to see what Grizzle will do there. They should be a tough out again.

Valley and Portsmouth West are quality Ohio programs. So you know they'll provide good competition, especially Valley.

Lawrence Co. loses a boatload of talent. I see Raceland winning that one comfortably.

Ditto for Fairview.

Paintsville has to be the game of the year for the Rams. It'll truly be the best indicator of where Raceland is late in the season. They'll want to be playing their best football right about now.

As far as the Rail Cities Bowl goes, the development of Russell's lines will be key for that game. Going into this season, Russell's biggest question mark might be Raceland's greatest strength.

I'm spending way too much time in a Raceland thread, lol. Things are awfully quiet up on Red Devil Hill. Hopefully that's a good sign that the players are keeping their heads down and working hard.
Ah come on Sam-I-Am. Ur a closet RamFan!!!
samson81 Wrote:Schedule looks like the same as last year's.

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...fb16/48975

Should be another good schedule with several quality opponents. I'm not sure what to expect from West Carter. They might be building a winning culture in Olive Hill, but they lose a lot from last year's team.

Ashland is Ashland. It'll be a good early season test. Right now, on paper, I give the Rams the edge in that one.

East Carter's probably the easiest W on the schedule.

Greenup County is interesting. Can't wait to see what Grizzle will do there. They should be a tough out again.

Valley and Portsmouth West are quality Ohio programs. So you know they'll provide good competition, especially Valley.

Lawrence Co. loses a boatload of talent. I see Raceland winning that one comfortably.

Ditto for Fairview.

Paintsville has to be the game of the year for the Rams. It'll truly be the best indicator of where Raceland is late in the season. They'll want to be playing their best football right about now.

As far as the Rail Cities Bowl goes, the development of Russell's lines will be key for that game. Going into this season, Russell's biggest question mark might be Raceland's greatest strength.

I'm spending way too much time in a Raceland thread, lol. Things are awfully quiet up on Red Devil Hill. Hopefully that's a good sign that the players are keeping their heads down and working hard.

I say Greenup and Valley will be the toughest non district games. Ashland and Lawerence should be wins unless Dalton runs crazy on them. No reason to lose to Ashland this year.

Good thing to have Valley at home this year.
6 and 4 at best.Way to many questions in the back field and the same line that under achieved last year.Wish I could Capture some of your guises optimism
RAMDAD50 Wrote:6 and 4 at best.Way to many questions in the back field and the same line that under achieved last year.Wish I could Capture some of your guises optimism

Who are ur losses too?
Look at Ramdad50 post .. All he does is jump in say something stupid trying to stir the pot . He's always negative no matter what he's posting about
I like to get you going Nut
Ashland,P-west,Valley,Russell.......hurts me to say Russell but I believe the streak stops this year
And I don't have a problem with those losses cause it makes us better for the post season. We have needed to beef up our schedule for years now we just need to stick with it and continue to get better.
We can go back and forth all we want. I know Ramdad is a Ram to the bone, while I disagree with him, I cant say i cant level with him. Its hard to get too pumped up when u have done so, many times before, only to see what u felt was certain victory, fall apart. I know these boys are capable, they havent lost many ball games as a class (the seniors that is). They know how to play together, lead, motivate each other, very high football iq across this group. So my hopes are high and I am optomistic in regaurds to POTENTIAL and SHOULD BE's. But its up to them to prove it to me. They can, will they? It remains to be seen. Win lose or draw though, I will be proud of them as long as the play each game with fire and desire. Its one thing to lose, its one thing to win, either way, handle it with class, respect, dignity, and humility. That, imo, is what lacked on the sidelines last year. But its a new season, new team, and I have a feeling its going to show in major ways in the fall.
RAMDAD50 Wrote:And I don't have a problem with those losses cause it makes us better for the post season. We have needed to beef up our schedule for years now we just need to stick with it and continue to get better.

Agree 100%. Many teams have mowed down everyone they went up against, only to get blasted in the post season. Last years squad was a prime example of getting caught up in your own hype, and when they got smacked in the mouth, it was a shock. But they grew and learned. Couldnt have been prouder of the way they rebounded in those last three weeks. I think it will be a great building block to kick start things this year. I just wish it was August already! Hell Im looking foward to the passing scrimmages!
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Ah come on Sam-I-Am. Ur a closet RamFan!!!

Shh... don't tell anybody. Let's keep that between us. :biggrin:
As a Russell fan, I kind of envy Raceland's scheduling flexibility. You guys have eight non district games, which means you don't have to choose between Ashland, Russell, Valley and Lawrence Co. You get to play them all. Then, when district play rolls around, you play one game against a solid program(Fairview) and one game against an elite program(Paintsville). East Carter's really the only opponent Raceland plays that won't make the Rams better.

I don't think Raceland could ask for a better schedule. They're capable of beating every team they play, but most of the teams on the schedule are just as capable of beating the Rams in return.
I really like how we have scheduled things in the recent years as well. Quality programs dont get that way by not challenging themselves. Another good thing for the Rams though, is our erea now has EVERY team, playing each other. Its good for the communities, good for competition. Good football breeds good football. Its a statement to both Raceland and Russell's districts that usually one of the teams from said districts will be playing in a regional final game. Greenup has the luck of being in the Golden Eagles district, so its tough for them. But Mullins did a great job turning them around and I think Scott will be aboe to build on that given time. The one thing that the county football programs have in common? RACELAND lol. Just had to throw that out there!

Back to it though...what do u all think we could possibly see different this year? If anything. Thats a general question, regaurding personel changes, schemes, or play calling? Trying to keep it light, but baseball season ended almost a month ago for my boys and the day after they were outback working on hand offs, drop back footwork, and hitting holes (by there own choosing mind u!) so football season never really ends in our house lol (that dont hurt my feelings none though), it just gets slowed up a bit by baseball and basketball. So what do u all think?
Took a real hard look after studying there schedule.

Best case 9-1

Worst case 7-3
bac2369 Wrote:Took a real hard look after studying there schedule.

Best case 9-1

Worst case 7-3

I agree with your prediction but out of curiosity, who is the one in your best case scenario? I also have a question for the Russell fans. During Raceland's streak against the Devil, do you think Russell is being hurt by playing us at the end of the year? I have noticed that Russell always starts out strong but ends the season limping while Raceland tends to start slower and peaks at the end of the year. I believe if this game were played in say week 4 the series record would be much different and would likely be an even series. Of course I could be wrong but that is just an observation.
Not me Blaze...... You guys now by now that I'm not afraid to say what's on my mind. Out of all the recent Raceland Russell games That have been played there isn't one Russell team I felt was better at any time in the season Than Raceland.
I agree that Raceland has absolutely had the better teams as shown by the record of the series. All I was pointing out was that Russell seems to have lost their edge at the end of the season when Raceland has taken theirs to another level and I feel like Raceland treats this game as a playoff game whereas Russell does not. Maybe playing earlier doesn't change the outcome but I do believe mentally you would see two very different teams than we see playing at the end of the season.
I find it interesting that year after year you are ostracized on here if you have an opinion of your own and don't follow the status quo.

I think there's still a lot of unknowns for this team. If some of those unknowns don't pan out, then you're probably looking at a 7-3 season, with losses to Paintsville, Portsmouth West and Valley. If the unknowns pan out, then I think they could possibly go 9-1 with their only loss being Valley.
Orange Blaze Wrote:I also have a question for the Russell fans. During Raceland's streak against the Devil, do you think Russell is being hurt by playing us at the end of the year? I have noticed that Russell always starts out strong but ends the season limping while Raceland tends to start slower and peaks at the end of the year..

I don't think there's any doubt that Raceland had the better teams during the 2008-2012 years. The Rams would have very likely beaten Russell in 2013 & 2014 as well. I don't think the gap in talent was as big as the gap in coaching and preparation. Raceland did seem to be peaking at the right time while Russell seemed lethargic and complacent late in the year.

I can't speak for the players and coaches, but from a fans perspective, I think we just assumed that we would dominate the series after winning handily in 2007. That Russell team still had remnants of the 05 & 06 teams. Once those remnants graduated and moved on, Russell fell behind while Raceland's talent level was trending upward.

If the games were played earlier in the season, maybe Russell wins one or two, maybe not. All I know for sure is, if last year's game was any indication, the Rail Cities Bowl should be here to stay for the long haul.

For the record, I'm not a fan of having a non district game to close out the regular season. Things worked out okay last year because Raceland and Russell had motivation to go out and leave it all on the field. Raceland was trying to find itself while Russell was still playing for a district championship. Far too often you see games like last year's Johnson Central/Belfry game where one team(or both) are banged up and decide to rest players and the game becomes a meaningless exhibition. Hopefully that's never the case between Russell and Raceland. I'd prefer to see it played earlier in the season, though.
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next