Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somerset 2016
Correct me if I'm wrong but this should be a more experienced team than the last 2 seasons. Someone look into their crystal ball and tell me what they forsee in 2016..
Who will be quarterback? Big shoes to fill
Jumpers return a lot of talent in the backfield but do have to replace a 4 year starter in Hatcher. With the backfield and o line they have returning I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a big shift toward the run game and play action. Still a boat load of skill talent.

Defensively they MUST improve tackling, if this happens they'll contend for a region again, if not it could be tough sledding.
Hatcher is a big loss
Could be their year coming up, I understand they have some quality players returning!
Doan and the Cornetts will make the Bunnies a very explosive team next year.
Tight End Wrote:Could be their year coming up, I understand they have some quality players returning!

Should have been their year in 2014-15. Without a proven QB, I think they stay stagnant in their offense. I hope I'm wrong though.
Somerset should have another brutal schedule if its the same.
Schedule will be a killer, Robbie would have it no other way. The Kid that played QB in the Play-off Game at Leslie County did a real good job. I think with the skill people they have they just need someone to manage the game and make a play from time to time. Def. will be better and line should be much improved. Look for the Jumpers to be ready to have a good year and a long run in play-offs.
Could be region favorite
Somerset will be back to Briar Jumper football after two uncharacteristic seasons due to youth/inexperience and injuries. They won six more games last season then the year before.

All signs indicate they will be back to regional and state contention. God Speed Somerset, nothing but respect and well wishes for you!
I think somerset will return to form in no time. Coach Lucas is a heck of a coach and even better person.
somerset returns alot of starters, should be really good next year
Wildcat18 Wrote:Should have been their year in 2014-15. Without a proven QB, I think they stay stagnant in their offense. I hope I'm wrong though.

They will have a proven QB with Mason Reese who split time at QB for Southwestern last year. He transferred from SW to Sset. He should make them better.
Somerset has a proven backfield, ground and pound will be the key to success this coming season. IMO.
Somerset gave up 24 ppg last year. Defense is where it's at. 6-5 is not good enough for what they have there. They're better than they've shown the past couple of years.
If the offense plays to the strengths of it's personnel they will be fine there. Doan has to stay healthy this year. Cornett boys will stretch the field. The defense just has to quit playing like a bunch of pussies. You play how you practice, I put this on the coaches. Do some hitting in practice for god sakes. No toughness on the teams last couple years. They haven't beaten a good opponent in a couple years. Been getting just flat out pounded. Hard to watch. They have the talent just have to perform. Mentally weak program. Fix that and this team could be the best team they have had since the state runner up team.
I have to agree with Wildcat18 and WETSU. This team has the size, speed and talent to go a long way this season into the playoffs. They need to be taught TWO simple things. THE most fundamental TWO things in football. How to tackle and how to block. It's that simple. IF the head coach and his staff can do that, Somerset will have a great season.
The talent is there. It's been there for the past few years and will be there in 2016 to be competitive at a state level. I'm not sure if it has been a coaching or player issue, but the talent has been there to do better than .500 in the regular season the past 2 seasons. That's just my opinion.
Wildcat18 Wrote:The talent is there. It's been there for the past few years and will be there in 2016 to be competitive at a state level. I'm not sure if it has been a coaching or player issue, but the talent has been there to do better than .500 in the regular season the past 2 seasons. That's just my opinion.

They were inexperienced and hit hard by injuries the last few years. Their coaching staff is one of the best around! Prior to the last two years they won 5 regions in a row and a state final barely missing two more. Not a coaching issue by any stretch of the imagination. They will back to form this year.
The Cross Movement Wrote:They were inexperienced and hit hard by injuries the last few years. Their coaching staff is one of the best around! Prior to the last two years they won 5 regions in a row and a state final barely missing two more. Not a coaching issue by any stretch of the imagination. They will back to form this year.

That may explain a lot. I knew they were banged up, but I didn't know the extent of it. I expect a lot from them in 2016.
Somerset could be even better this year depending on the QB..
Bunnies believe they have a team to compete for a region title. Qb. position is looking better and the team is getting behind him. He has been working hard to get to know his team of receivers as they workout on their own time after school.
Big boys got to step up to make a run. They have the skill people.
Aug 19, 16 Mason County away 7:30 PM
Aug 26, 16 Williamsburg home 7:30 PM
Sep 2, 16 Beechwood away 7:30 PM
Sep 9, 16 Hazard home 7:30 PM
Sep 23, 16 Rockcastle County away 7:30 PM
Sep 30, 16 Caverna home 7:30 PM
Oct 7, 16 Danville away 7:30 PM
Oct 14, 16 Lexington Christian home 7:30 PM
Oct 21, 16 Middlesboro away 7:30 PM
Oct 28, 16 Perry County Central home 7:30 PM

There's the schedule for 2016.
7-8 wins for the Jumpers next year...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
there's no reason for any less than 9 wins with that schedule. Just curious, but why isn't one of the county schools on their schedule?
4 give me wins and 6 toss ups.
bac2369 Wrote:4 give me wins and 6 toss ups.

I think 5 give me wins and 5 toss up's.
:happybliss:
I over looked Hazard on the schedule so it should be 8 wins.