Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RB Kent Phelps - Paintsville
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2839358/high...5225376/v2

Not only is he a great athlete, but he is a great student. He is legit 6' 185, has a 3.6 gpa and 24 ACT. Just got invited to the "Nike, The Opening Combine" and is attending the "Best of The Midwest" in Indianapolis next month.
Not just one of the best Running Backs in eastern Kentucky, but one of the top players in the STATE. Young man is a legit D-1 player, fun to watch - when your team isn't playing him, that is!
Great player. Great kid. I hope he tears it up. Best of luck on the diamond and gridiron.
One of my favorite kids ever. Kind of kid you hope your son grows up to be like. Legit D1 football+baseball. Hope his has a great Sr season. 2 tough younger brother both lefties too. John Walker Phelps will be a headliner next few years too.
Isn't he just as good at baseball? Or is his favorite sport football?
He is a heck of a baseball player too
So what Nike regional is he going to. Charlotte or Columbus
proud44pirate Wrote:So what Nike regional is he going to. Charlotte or Columbus

If I was betting he will attend at Charlotte, that's where Kash Daniels made his mark among the recruiting services. Familiarity with the school name would go a long way for him, jmo
Kash was never a Nike guy.. He made his mark at the Rivals Camp Series.
That being said the Opening Regional's are a great place to make a name for yourself too. I've been to the Atlanta Opening Regional's the last 2 years and the talent there is second to none..
I Rule The World Wrote:Kash was never a Nike guy.. He made his mark at the Rivals Camp Series.
That being said the Opening Regional's are a great place to make a name for yourself too. I've been to the Atlanta Opening Regional's the last 2 years and the talent there is second to none..

In the second to none quote, how do you equate it ? Vs Rivals/247/ Scout ?
Kent at the Best of the Midwest combine today, any results or breakdowns from any recruiting service ?
He clocked a 4.47 40! That's big time under that pressure.
TigerBlues Wrote:In the second to none quote, how do you equate it ? Vs Rivals/247/ Scout ?

Writers from all recruiting services including Rivals are at all of the Nike Opening Regionals. But there are a few where all the Big Names in recruiting are. Not just staffers. Atlanta, Birmingham, Dallas, Ohio State, Los Angeles are the ones that really draw all the writers and even the ESPN guys there. Its just the talent pools there are so great. Two years ago in the Atlanta Opening Regional, it was deemed as the one of the Greatest collections of High School talent on a single field, with the Opening being the only one better.

Rivals Camp Series is a great series because, well, they are they're own ranking system as far as stars. So what you do at they're camp automatically translates to good publicity on they're rankings systems, and they're website and Publication.

They're a great way to have your stock jump up. One great performance can get your mailbox and phone filling up..
Bigcat Wrote:He clocked a 4.47 40! That's big time under that pressure.

WOW!! That's a good place to run that kind of number!!
Any sub 4.50 should have the big boys calling ! Wow ! Great job young man TongueirateSho
I Rule The World Wrote:Writers from all recruiting services including Rivals are at all of the Nike Opening Regionals. But there are a few where all the Big Names in recruiting are. Not just staffers. Atlanta, Birmingham, Dallas, Ohio State, Los Angeles are the ones that really draw all the writers and even the ESPN guys there. Its just the talent pools there are so great. Two years ago in the Atlanta Opening Regional, it was deemed as the one of the Greatest collections of High School talent on a single field, with the Opening being the only one better.

Rivals Camp Series is a great series because, well, they are they're own ranking system as far as stars. So what you do at they're camp automatically translates to good publicity on they're rankings systems, and they're website and Publication.

They're a great way to have your stock jump up. One great performance can get your mailbox and phone filling up..

Thanks IRTW, I didn't know what differences were between the recruiting services and like these name combines
Kids are always known to run "fast 40s" at BOTMW. They had multiple kids in the 4.3s
Thrillex Wrote:Kids are always known to run "fast 40s" at BOTMW. They had multiple kids in the 4.3s

Need to remember also that these times are on a hand stopwatch, not true laser times.
Big difference in laser time and hand time. But we know Kent can fly.
Bigcat Wrote:One of my favorite kids ever. Kind of kid you hope your son grows up to be like. Legit D1 football+baseball. Hope his has a great Sr season. 2 tough younger brother both lefties too. John Walker Phelps will be a headliner next few years too.

J.J Jude is by far the best back to ever come out of Johnson County, he's at Georgetown. So saying legit D1 is a bit premature, for football anyway. But I totally agree with everything else.
Trophy Room Wrote:J.J Jude is by far the best back to ever come out of Johnson County, he's at Georgetown. So saying legit D1 is a bit premature, for football anyway. But I totally agree with everything else.

I know JJ well. Great running back. Hard worker! Has nothing to do with Kent Phelps. I've coached a lot of D1 kids. Kent Phelps is D1. Already had visits to UK, UofL, Vandy, Marshall, IU etc. Hadn't heard that was hand timed. Surprised a combine that big does hand timed if true. Either way he's fast. Several things Kent has going for him. He has a big frame. I played against his Dad. He was a big athletic guy. Kent still has a lot of upside growing. I'd say he's a little over 6ft 188ish. Good student. Top of the line character kid. He's a hard worker too. We'll revisit this thread this time next year😊.
Congrats.. Young man is exciting to watch....
He is an excellent baseall and football player. Anybody that runs a 4.4 is special
Trophy Room Wrote:J.J Jude is by far the best back to ever come out of Johnson County, he's at Georgetown. So saying legit D1 is a bit premature, for football anyway. But I totally agree with everything else.

JJ is at Gtown by choice. He signed a D1 scholarship (EKU) and proved that he belonged, but once the other RB's recovered from their injuries, JJ was tossed to the side. At least that's the way I heard it went.
proud44pirate Wrote:So what Nike regional is he going to. Charlotte or Columbus
Columbus, May 7th
Thrillex Wrote:Kids are always known to run "fast 40s" at BOTMW. They had multiple kids in the 4.3s
So whats ur point bub? Phelps is slow? He was .12 off the fastest kid of 350 from multiple states. How about being happy for the kid and realizing that these kids going and making names for themselves gives all of east KY some credibility!
http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/2016/02...-for-2017/
I know a lot of people talk D1 and 40 times with no validity but it's not the case with Kent. He's legit. He also had the top ERA for KY Baseball Club (pretty sure) this past summer which is the best Summer Baseball program in KY. Talented kid.
me personally, I never get to excited about 1A players.
jim rome Wrote:me personally, I never get to excited about 1A players.

1A fields the same amount of players as 2A-6A. Only 11 at a time for each team. Depth is the only issue for small schools.

Kids a play maker and I think that's a piss poor statement.