Poll: Who will win the 2A State Championship?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mayfield
85.71%
Newport Central Catholic
14.29%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield vs. Newport Central Catholic (2A State Championship)
Who you got and why. Poll please.
I say the Cards win by couple tds
Once again this will be the contrast of speed vs size. The little mighty mites will be undersized once again. For the third week in a row the Cards will be taking on a traditional power of 2a. Can the little Cards hang in there or will it get away from them?
Mayfield brings home another championship...:1:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mayfield should be a big favorite in this one, but, Smith is a hell of a back, capable of breaking one at anytime.. The Cards will definitely need to somewhat contain him and at least not let him get too many explosive plays.. The NCC D is formidable, especially against the run. Like Mayfield, the LBs are very smart, fundamentally sound and don't miss many tackles or get caught out of position.. I do think the advantage for Mayfield is in the passing game and having some breakaway WRs that'll make a few big plays.. I think if the penalties and turnovers don't come into play or are relatively even, Mayfield should win this by a couple of scores..
For all those wanting to see NCC go to NKYsports.com. There are several games archived. I have watched the Danville, Beechwood and Cooper games myself.
Can we please get a poll?
Mayfield posters are sandbagging.

Mayfield by a ton.
Ncc might as well not even show up.
Can we please get a poll????
I would love for NCC to win this weekend, along with JC, Pikeville and Belfry just so I could have the pride of knowing that Belfry beat 3 of the 6 State Champs this year.

That being said, Mayfield should win this by about 2 TDs.
I would love to see a Belfry/Mayfield matchup.. I'd give the Pirates the edge by a 7-10 pts, but, would still pay to see it..
Funny, I have often thought about how I would like to see us play Belfry as well.
Mayfield is the better team but the better team doesn't always win. It happens at all levels. I saw teams that were better get defeated by teams that was not as good all weekend. If Mayfield doesn't play how they are capable of playing, they can loose. It doesn't matter who they have beat or how good they are suppose to be. Newport doesn't care, and will do their best to win and will if Mayfield doesn't play their best.
Mayfield wins this one 28-13
Mayfield
I think Mayfield wins. Would be impressive in that they would have beat 3 private schools in the past 3 weeks.
I think NCC had the perfect opponent in the Semi's.. Danville is all speed... I can't see Mayfield having anyone faster than those guys... It will be a close game but I think after playing Danville the game slows down just a bit for NCC and they pull out a win 24-14..
Mayfield is on another level in football in 2A. :Cheerlead

Mayfield 42
NCC 17
Yes I was the first mayfield vote. Confusednicker:
64SUR Wrote:Mayfield is on another level in football in 2A. :Cheerlead

Mayfield 42
NCC 17

Looks similar to your prediction of the NCC-DANVILLE score. How'd that work out for you? Lol
Onespiritedfan Wrote:Looks similar to your prediction of the NCC-DANVILLE score. How'd that work out for you? Lol

Not good but this is mayfield. :popcorn:
Since Myson started a thread about "Are we giving up", I thought I would post for the first time in about a year. I'm glad NCC made it back to BG for the 4th straight year. The guys in the mountains can "talk" all they want but they still haven't been able to produce anyone who can knock off NCC. Maybe they should try something different than just talking! As far as NCC's team goes, its a mirror image from the last years team, with a couple different wrinkles. This year they use a tightend, sometimes 2, as well as a fullback. This gives them more leverage in blocking postions instead of zone blocking with 5. They block the initial defender well, but they have a hard time getting to the second level. This is why Smith is not having as good of a year as he could of. Smith hurts you more as a screen player or in the slot to create space. Qb is has improved, but still has more to do. He needs to read faster, throw sooner, and run sooner when pressured. Besides Wrobleski, I don't see their receivers being better than last year, its a toss up. They might be taller, but they lack break away speed. Defensively, they are ok. I think the secondary is the weak point. The dline has a quick tackle, but teams make the mistake of running away from him. When he's hard counted and you run at him he plays high and 3 yards down field. If you run away from him you better make sure the block is sustained because he also makes a lot of tackles chasing from the backside. Linebackers are solid and react well, I think this is their strong point.
So shakesman, you still didn't make a pick. I will, I think Mayfield has the definite edge here. I will say Danville had speed but, in watching that game, they just didn't know how to direct the use of that speed. You won't have to worry about reverses or such for Mayfield to get their speed into the open.
Although I am pulling for NCC. I see a similar outcome as last year. I think it's Mayfield by at least 3 scores. I don't want to start a fight, I'm being realistic, it's jmo! Being the best in the east this year gets you 4th or 5th place in the west.
I sure hope you are right. I'm glad to see you back in here. Now where is Pork Chop and many other old timers?
It's nice to see a lot of the same posters. Never went anywhere just admired from a far.
I understand. I am a techniqually a member of another site as well. I just read and not post because some can say things there that others get sanctioned for.
Mayfield Big. 38-7

To quote a couple of Desales fans after the Mayfield game when I asked them how they thought we would do against NCC, "You'll kill them. They're horrible." "The State Championship was held here at War Memorial tonight."
Smashmouth, they are basing that upon last years game. We cannot afford to get ahead of ourselves. I do think our boys are playing like they are on a mission. I think we have an awful lot of talent and experience. I think we have GREAT coaching as well. But, we must remember NCC probably feels the same way.
Cupcake! Break out the sprinkles! Mayfield rolls.