Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Private Schools have taken over... A look at State Titles so far this school year
Yes they can. It might come under the guise of education but, it can be done none the less. It is done. I remember 2 years ago a certain Mr Football was approached by a private school from Louisville and asked to come there. If this kid were not the good Christian based family kid, he probably would have went.
RicFlair Wrote:Private schools can't "legally" recruit a kid to play sports.
So can Public schools it's called open enrollment. Once again if you know any school that is "recruiting" students for athletics report them to KHSAA.
nky Wrote:So can Public schools it's called open enrollment. Once again if you know any school that is "recruiting" students for athletics report them to KHSAA.

a lot of them are but they are good at covering it up Smile
Ric have you seen the advertisement on BGP for open house at Trinity? That aint for the regular student I would bet my family jewels on that!!!!!
Listen nky don't give me your horse#%^ all the catholic schools recruit and the khsaa does nothing about it!!!!! It is not fair and obviously you are a private school. How powerful are the catholic schools, they got Notre Dame in the national championship a few years ago and they couldn't have beaten anyone in the SEC!!!!!! Its a joke what is done to the public schools and yes there can be open enrollment but TAX PAYERS aren't going to pay for people to go to school from other counties MUCH LESS OTHER STATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After watching (and smelling) Covington Catholic fans/students seven different times at JC in the playoffs... I saw all I needed to see from Catholic schools.

Rolling in to our poor little town like they hung the moon and we should have thanked them for even making the trip.... not too mention the stench of alcohol from the time to charter bus doors opened until they left.

Not too mention the 2005 Class 4A state title game between St. X and Trinity.
I won't even bring up the stories on that game.

I'm actually surprised that with all of the 'fairness' and anti-bullying programs that are on the forefront, the Public/Private issue hasn't arose.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Invested families= If i'm going to spend this money for little Johnnys schooling, then - I want Johhny to have great teachers-I want Johhny to have great coaches- I want Johhny to have the facilities he needs- I want the administration to take care that we are good at everything from Math to Golf and everything in between.
Competition = If you don't do all that here i'm going somewhere else.
mysonis55 Wrote:Yes they can. It might come under the guise of education but, it can be done none the less. It is done. I remember 2 years ago a certain Mr Football was approached by a private school from Louisville and asked to come there. If this kid were not the good Christian based family kid, he probably would have went.
That is why I say "legally" and "to play sports"
http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/ne...e-schools/
Found this article from 2014... some of the information might be outdated, but it should be pretty accurate for the simple fact it takes years to get anything accomplished.

Here's a look at what other states do – or don't do – to combat the issue of competitive balance:

(States without a modification for private schools, no current plans to add one, or no noteworthy history with the issue are listed as NM.)

Alabama: The first state to adopt a multiplier (1999). A 1.35 multiplier is applied to all private school enrollments. The state association settled on 1.35 due to date that indicated athletic participation in private schools is 35 percent higher than at public schools.

Alaska: NM

Arizona: NM

Arkansas: Non-public schools with 80 or more students in grades 10-12 are moved up one classification. A multiplier was used in the past, leading to a court battle. The state association was sued by a school that was moved up two classifications and won three football games with a roster of 25 players. The court ruled that the multiplier was not unconstitutional.

California: NM

Colorado: Competitive balance is an ongoing debate. A private school success advancement system was voted down in 2013.

Connecticut: A 2.0 multiplier is applied to basketball only. Also, a point system based on tournament success is used to further adjust enrollment.

Delaware: NM

District of Columbia: NM

Florida: Has separation of private and public schools in select sports among small schools.

Georgia: Ended a 1.5 multiplier formula for private schools in 2008 after eight years. Data showed that the multiplier did not impact the percentage of private schools winning state titles. Separation of private and public schools in the state's small-school division was approved in 2012.

Hawaii: Each island sets rules for reaching state tournaments. Most have publics and privates compete with each other.

Idaho: NM

Illinois: A 1.65 multiplier is applied to private and non-boundaried schools in all sports. The state association was sued by 37 schools in 2005, leading to a settlement requiring that the multiplier go to a vote of member schools. It passed. A success advancement system was later added to alter division placement based on a team's recent postseason success. Schools may petition to move up a classification.

Indiana: A success advancement system is used, requiring that teams in all sports to move up a classification based on postseason performance.

Iowa: NM

Kansas: Proposals have been made to separate public and private schools, or move private schools into higher classifications.

Kentucky: NM

Louisiana: There has been talk in recent years of private schools forming their own association.

Maine: The state association is on record as opposing separation of public and private schools.

Maryland: Separate tournaments and state associations for public and private schools.

Massachusetts: NM

Michigan: Schools have the option to move up a division.

Minnesota: A reverse multiplier is used to reduce enrollment in some schools. The formula is based on the number of students in a school activity program and the number registered for free or reduced lunch.

Mississippi: The state association has 13 private schools. A group of school administrators failed to ban private schools from joining the state association in 2013. Other privates compete in an independent state association that also features schools from Arkansas and Louisiana.

Missouri: A 1.35 multiplier is applied to private schools in all sports. An additional 2.0 multiplier is applied to single-sex schools. A court ruled that the multipliers were not unconstitutional.

Montana: NM

Nebraska: Multiplier and other enrollment adjustment proposals have been defeated.

Nevada: A point system, based on recent success, is used to move teams up or down a division every two years.

New Hampshire: NM

New Jersey: There are multiple classifications and tournaments for public and non-public schools. Some sports bring multiple state champions together to create a Tournament of Champions.

New Mexico: NM

New York: There are multiple athletic associations, one of which is affiliated with the National Federation of High Schools. It slots non-public schools into divisions based on past success, enrollment and level of competition.

North Carolina: The state association does not allow non-boarding parochial schools to provide financial aid to athletes. There are also separate associations for independent and Christian schools.

Ohio: A competitive balance referendum is up for vote by state principals for the fourth consecutive year. The current plan includes sports-specific multipliers for football, volleyball, basketball, baseball, softball and soccer.

North Dakota: NM

Oklahoma: A state association committee is exploring reclassification in all sports.

Oregon: The state association rejected a multiplier proposal in 2012.

Pennsylvania: Competitive balance remains an ongoing issue. Prior to 1972, parochial schools competed in a separate association. The state government stopped a proposed return to split associations in 2000.

Rhode Island: NM

South Carolina: There is an independent school state association, but privates and publics also compete together in a separate association.

South Dakota: NM

Tennessee: Schools are split into two divisions: Division I for publics and privates that don't provide financial aid, and Division II for privates that offer financial aid. A 1.8 multiplier is applied to privates in Division I.

Texas: There are separate associations for public and private schools, but the public association is exploring the idea of including private schools.

Utah: NM

Vermont: NM

Virginia: There are separate tournaments and state associations for public and private schools.

Washington: NM

West Virginia: NM

Wisconsin: Separation of public and private schools ended in the 1990s. The state association created a committee in 2014 to examine competitive balance after a multiplier formula was proposed.

Wyoming: NM

Most states have every sport classed.... as mot of us know, Kentucky does not.
Moving Private schools up in Classification might be a great idea for states that have all sports Classed. But it doesn't really benefit Kentucky.
The only Classed KHSAA recognized sports/competitive activities are listed below.

Cross Country
Football
Competitive Cheer
Track & Field

When you look at the other sports/competitive activities that are not Classed... Track & Field and Cross Country could go with out being Classed, IMO.
Well, here we go again- the annual public whining. You boys lose all credibility when you complain about recruiting by the privates. Surely, you know that the publics are as guilty, or more so, of recruiting than are the privates. As a product of a superior private school and as an advocate and supporter of the superior private schools for many years, I offer no apology to anyone.

As they often say, those who can do and those who can't send their children to the chaotic and inferior government schools.
By my count on that list, most states do not separate publics from privates. Am I reading it wrong?
Because in the south where football is king you private school boys would get the living hell beat out of you!!!! Take Trinity to south Georgia and you will come back looking like Ali beat you to death and that is a fact. Look at the SEC and you will see that most of those guys played public high school football. It is in the states where there aren't that many athletes that private schools dominate. And the public schools in Ky don't have Louisville to recruit from if and only if they are recruiting it is some kid from Leslie co(not putting Leslie co down) that is not nearly the athlete that you have in the big cities. Mr. Baseballl Ben Revere drove from Richmond ever day to Lex Cath.
It was funning at the UK game the other night they had him come out to the 20 and said Lexington's own Ben Revere. As Lee Corso would say not so fast my friend. And if anyone thinks that kids that live in another state should be allowed to play for a Kentucky state title then are more than a moron!!!!
Got to love the attitude of the people who think their crap don't stink because they can afford to send their kids to private schools. Real winners or is is weiners?
The only attitude I see here are those who think their students can't compete with all schools
Maybe some schools need to look at their programs, feeder programs,and off season activities.
hahahahahah you private school guys. Hey guess what the world isn't a private school. Drive your bunch down south and play those public schools and see what happens to your team!!!!!
Easy fix make all schools private and give vouchers to the parents and let them send there kids where they want to. Instead of being told where you have to send your kid. Everyone pays for there kids to go to school there is no such thing as a free education.
It is VERY simple.

If you do not like the way the system is, tell your schools. That's the only option you have. You all act like the KHSAA makes these decisions. They do not. The system is controlled by its members. If you do not like private schools playing each other, think 6 classes is too many, hate the playoff format, then quit complaining and go tell your athletic director to vote against it. Just like they did with the playoff format. The KHSAA doesn't make any money if all the schools leave it and start another membership. Nobody is forcing you to stay.
They have done that and they have voted against the privates schools and big money talks and that is what the catholic schools have BIG MONEY. How do you think Trinity has won that many state titles, you think your coach is that great, its called players and you all have them period cut. And it is a shame that 6A coaches have to lie to their kids and tell them they have a chance to win a state title because they cant. Those kids work just has hard as your kids do BUT the playing field is not level. Like I said stroll down south to ALA, GA, MISS, LA, FLA and see what happens to you all.
You will come back saying it isn't fair to have to play them and that is what is like for public 6A schools to play Trinity and St X.
The Eagle has landed Wrote:They have done that and they have voted against the privates schools and big money talks and that is what the catholic schools have BIG MONEY. How do you think Trinity has won that many state titles, you think your coach is that great, its called players and you all have them period cut. And it is a shame that 6A coaches have to lie to their kids and tell them they have a chance to win a state title because they cant. Those kids work just has hard as your kids do BUT the playing field is not level. Like I said stroll down south to ALA, GA, MISS, LA, FLA and see what happens to you all.

They have not voted against Private schools.
Also, any school is free to leave the KHSAA at any time and upstart a new organization.
That is exactly what the public schools should do is leave the khsaa and watch Julians big butt. How you think his salary is paid. Let the private schools pay him, he wouldn't make jack s#$%
RicFlair Wrote:Private schools can't "legally" recruit a kid to play sports.

Correct but what they do is offer academic scholarships for kids and it's amazing how many of those kids are studs on the court or on the field
There are no academic scholarships to any private school in the state of Kentucky. A lot of people are just repeating ignorant lies to make themselves feel better.
14 private schools play football. 13 won last week. Brossart lost by 8 and finished 9-2. 9 of those teams are in the top 10 of their class. 8 won by a running score. KCD won by 7. The rest of the privates won by a minimum of 21. 5 of the top 8 in 2A are private schools. There are only 6 private schools playing in 2A. Maybe it is because they work harder and are more deserving. A multiplier needs to be put in place.
Perhaps parents send their kids to private schools not for athletics or better education. Just maybe because the issues they encounter in the hallways, maybe because it's a 15-20 to 1 student to teacher ration, instead of 30-40 to 1. Maybe because some schools frown upon the teaching of religion, saying prayers out loud or the mere saying of " bless you " when someone sneeze. I cant's speak for some of the county schools, but for Louisville, Fayette Co, Cincy area where the schools are bulging out the seems with 2,100- 2,500 student body. There's just not enough instructional to go around with students. Iam4thecats... you use to work in the system. Am I right with some of the situation I just mentioned? Oh and yeah, there are no academics or athletic scholarship... It's called financial aid. EVERYONE pays, some more or less than others, but definitely NO.
E's Army Wrote:14 private schools play football. 13 won last week. Brossart lost by 8 and finished 9-2. 9 of those teams are in the top 10 of their class. 8 won by a running score. KCD won by 7. The rest of the privates won by a minimum of 21. 5 of the top 8 in 2A are private schools. There are only 6 private schools playing in 2A. Maybe it is because they work harder and are more deserving. A multiplier needs to be put in place.

True and maybe just 1, maybe 2 out of those you mention will win the state championship. If you all must know which one I pick... Trinity and Desale.