Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leslie Co 29 Somerset 26
Gitback Coach Wrote:Doesn't a player have to get two unsportsmanlike penalties before he's ejected? Did they kick out the Somerset QB just for saying something (or not saying something) with no previous warnings or penalties at all?

If so, sounds like the SHS coach should file some sort of formal complaint

It was his "Second Unsporting Penalty" as the Referee called it..
Ashhurt dont need to be a ref. Every game he officiates is a joke he kicks kids out ejects them when it should just be a penalty and someone saying hey kid calm down.. These kids only get highschool football once in life and a suspension takes that away.
I Rule The World Wrote:It was his "Second Unsporting Penalty" as the Referee called it..

Oh, I see. So he was ejected after two bogus unsportsmanlike penalties? Was Somerset's QB the only player ejected from the game?
Gitback Coach Wrote:Oh, I see. So he was ejected after two bogus unsportsmanlike penalties? Was Somerset's QB the only player ejected from the game?

I think we had two players ejected. I can't comment on it, wasn't there. I've heard the crew was questionable but I also know that Somerset has had discipline issues the past few years that has cost them come playoff time. Regardless, it's over.
RoShamBo Wrote:I think we had two players ejected. I can't comment on it, wasn't there. I've heard the crew was questionable but I also know that Somerset has had discipline issues the past few years that has cost them come playoff time. Regardless, it's over.

This years team really didn't have that issue. Very questionable calls Friday, really really tough.
This is a big problem is society today! As parents, coaches, and administrators we much hold kids accountable for their actions and quit blaming officials or tell them it's OK because it's not your fault/you did nothing wrong. When I played if I would have acted like some kids do today toward authority figures my did would have taken me to the wood shed.
upintheair Wrote:This is a big problem is society today! As parents, coaches, and administrators we much hold kids accountable for their actions and quit blaming officials or tell them it's OK because it's not your fault/you did nothing wrong. When I played if I would have acted like some kids do today toward authority figures my did would have taken me to the wood shed.

As much as I agree with this statement, and trust me I do, MULTIPLE players on MULTIPLE teams have had problems with this official. I'm sure they didn't do themselves any favors but he was a true jerk.
Congratulations to Leslie County. You guys have a very good football team. Good luck against Danville.
If Somerset would have just attempted field goals instead of going for it on fourth down inside the five, maybe they would have won the game anyway. Hindsight is always 20/20 however. Very tough loss for the Jumpers.
And last but, NOT least. This officiating crew was nothing but AWFUL. This bunch doesn't deserve to call a middle school game. Someone on the crew was determined NOT to let Somerset win. After all the penalties, ejections and BS that went on in this game, Somerset gets the onside kick, down 29-26 with two minutes to go. After the first play, it should have been second and five on about the Leslie County 30. Low and behold, Somerset gets THREE straight penalties and it's second and TWENTY FIVE! Someone in a striped shirt was making SURE Somerset had NO chance to win this game. This crew should be banned from EVER reffing a high school game again.
shs74 Wrote:And last but, NOT least. This officiating crew was nothing but AWFUL. This bunch doesn't deserve to call a middle school game. Someone on the crew was determined NOT to let Somerset win. After all the penalties, ejections and BS that went on in this game, Somerset gets the onside kick, down 29-26 with two minutes to go. After the first play, it should have been second and five on about the Leslie County 30. Low and behold, Somerset gets THREE straight penalties and it's second and TWENTY FIVE! Someone in a striped shirt was making SURE Somerset had NO chance to win this game. This crew should be banned from EVER reffing a high school game again.

If my memory is correct the radio guys (Somerset's) agreed with holding call and then they had 2 false starts. If officials don't make those calls then Leslie County fans would be on here bash officials instead of Somerset. Kudos to officials (that are humans) go into games knowing that they are going to get bashed by at least one side or the other. Are you saying the penalties where not legit and the official made them up? If so I would commissioner.
I wasn't there and I didn't listen to it...

But Leslie Co. has acquired a certain reputation insofar as the officiating at the games in Hyden. If your team plays there, just accept the poor ball placements, lack of clock management, and large tilt to penalty and judgement calls. Complaining about it only adds 15 yard unsportsmanlike calls and ejections.

The good folks of Shelby Valley will corroborate that...

:popcorn:
I have NOTHING to do with Leslie County or Somerset, but have seen this crew officiate this season and they are horrible. In one game the official in question followed the best kid on each team around right beside them on offense just seeing if they said anything - it was so obvious what the official was doing everyone in the stands on both sides were hollering at him over it. He threw flag after flag in that game not for or against either side that you could tell, we finally figured he was just throwing flags because he could. This guy has some type of chip on his shoulder or something - at the very least he is going to show the players he can do what he wants to do and nothing they can do about it is his attitude. You just have to watch him call one game to figure all this out about him.
JumperPride1 Wrote:This years team really didn't have that issue. Very questionable calls Friday, really really tough.

I didn't realize that it was that ref. He is really bad. That being said I remember, during the Beechwood game, a defensive player peeling back and hitting a Beechwood lineman around the head way away from the play. It was just a really obvious, dirty play. You could tell it was just frustration. He was flagged for it but remained in the game and when he came off of the field no one said a word to him. That really upset me, as well as the 4-5 former players that were watching. I think a lot of the coaching staff but plays like that, as well as some off the field incidents, set the tone for what happens latee in the year. When you get a reputation it makes it easier for a ref to pull a flag in a borderline situation.
To be fair though I only got to watch 4 games in person so it might well have been an isolated incident. That being said it was a nice bounce back for the Jumpers this season. I think they will work hard this offseason and be even better next year now that the youngsters have learned to win.
oneijoe Wrote:I wasn't there and I didn't listen to it...

But Leslie Co. has acquired a certain reputation insofar as the officiating at the games in Hyden. If your team plays there, just accept the poor ball placements, lack of clock management, and large tilt to penalty and judgement calls. Complaining about it only adds 15 yard unsportsmanlike calls and ejections.

They were playoff assigned officials, so your whining about old stuff is not applicable here. :lame:
Those guys were definitely not gonna take anything from any players. At all..
There is a street in Somerset that is named after Referee Ashurst family. So if anyone in Somerset would like to talk to him I'm sure his family would give you his number.
upintheair Wrote:If my memory is correct the radio guys (Somerset's) agreed with holding call and then they had 2 false starts.

The holding penalty on 1st down immediately after Somerset recovered the onside kick was NOT a legitimate call in any way. I defy anyone to watch the play on film and find it. The two false start penalties after that one, however, were legit.

With that said, "questionable" calls are a part of the game and all good teams/players must have the composure to face and overcome them from time to time. The Jumpers failed that test.

Leslie County earned the win and Somerset definitely earned the loss. Congrats to the Eagles.
oneijoe Wrote:I wasn't there and I didn't listen to it...

Help me out here oneijoe. I attended a Prestonsburg football game last year, 2014 season, and I can't remember the team they were playing. Anyway, the opposing team attempted a pass, it was incomplete and when the ref retrieved the ball, he called for a measurement. I was expecting a "first down!!" call, but he didn't make it.

Confusednicker:
Granny Bear Wrote:Help me out here oneijoe. I attended a Prestonsburg football game last year, 2014 season, and I can't remember the team they were playing. Anyway, the opposing team attempted a pass, it was incomplete and when the ref retrieved the ball, he called for a measurement. I was expecting a "first down!!" call, but he didn't make it.

Confusednicker:

Leslie County must have taken the ref's with them when they beat P-Burg at P-Burg this year, and they also beat them last year. Sounds like someone has the sore :moon:Confusednicker:
Granny Bear Wrote:Help me out here oneijoe. I attended a Prestonsburg football game last year, 2014 season, and I can't remember the team they were playing. Anyway, the opposing team attempted a pass, it was incomplete and when the ref retrieved the ball, he called for a measurement. I was expecting a "first down!!" call, but he didn't make it.

Confusednicker:

That was at Hazard. I remember it well. I was straight across from where it happened.
cherokee Wrote:Leslie County must have taken the ref's with them when they beat P-Burg at P-Burg this year, and they also beat them last year. Sounds like someone has the sore :moon:Confusednicker:

Leslie earned the win this year thanks to Whitaker.

Last year was gift wrapped.
Does khsaa have a union on refs cause asshurt needs to be fired
upintheair Wrote:There is a street in Somerset that is named after Referee Ashurst family. So if anyone in Somerset would like to talk to him I'm sure his family would give you his number.

He doesn't need to be called all he needs to do is read up on BGR to see what fans think about his antics. And having a street named after your family does not a good referee make!
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:That was at Hazard. I remember it well. I was straight across from where it happened.

Yes!! That is correct. I saw it pretty good myself, since I was sitting directly behind YOU!