Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8th Graders playing on Freshmen Team
Do any schools have 8th graders that play up on the freshmen team? Or does your school even allow this?
Not allowed in Ky.
Yes it is allowed.
yes legal
proud44pirate Wrote:Not allowed in Ky.

They are not allowed to play varsity, but I believe they are allowed to play with the Freshmen. I think this decision is made by each school.
We were at paintsville a couple of weeks ago playing jv and they had an 8th grader playing and he was hurt and taken off the field I thought they could only play so much time since the holdback rule etc sent into effect ?
They can't play/practice against juniors or seniors. Freshman and sophomores is legal. Any coach that plays them up then he is really putting himself and his school at a huge liability.
By law 4 section 2:
8th graders are only restricted against Varsity. So they can play both Freshman and JV.
proud44pirate Wrote:Not allowed in Ky.

Actually it is. They cannot play in the 8th if playing frosh...and cannot play against JV's. Just freshman
don't know where you got your info. maybe that's what your schools rules are. but statewide according to khsaa 7th or 8th graders can play freshman or JV only restriction is that they cannot play varsity contests. (this is for football and soccer both)
Players are allowed to play 8, 8 minute quarters a week starting on Sunday. So if a player plays a JV and a Freshman game during the week they are ineligible to play in the varsity game on Friday.
I agree with what your saying, however if a 7th or 8th grader doesn't play any freshman or JV minutes they still cannot play in a varsity contest.
And they cannot practice with the varsity players. All players are limited to 8, 8 minute quarters so if they play in a JV game and a Freshman game they are not eligible for 7th and/or 8th grade contests either. All players 7th grade on up are limited to the 8 quarter rule.
I think your are asking for trouble letting kids play up like that in football . Why in the world would a coach play a 8th grader on the Jv team
This is not a new concept. It's been this way for years and years. 8th can play JV, as long as no Juniors are on the field. Teams will bring up a few 8th graders after the middle school season to play in a Freshman or JV game.
Small schools used to depend on 8th graders to fill rosters. There are exceptional young players show up every once in a while. My Brother started for Paintsville in his eighth grade year. That was in 1975.
Forever Maroon Wrote:This is not a new concept. It's been this way for years and years. 8th can play JV, as long as no Juniors are on the field. Teams will bring up a few 8th graders after the middle school season to play in a Freshman or JV game.

Where is this written? I could not find this written in the bylaws anywhere. The bylaws I read only say cannot participate in varsity. I am certain that they can play in a JV game no matter who is one the field.
Now that we have established the ruling on them playing, does anyone know of any 8th graders that play up on the freshmen or JV for their team?
I wasn't at the game so its hearsay but I heard a few 8th graders from Northern played in the Pulaski Co. / Southwestern JV game.
Willie Turnover Wrote:I wasn't at the game so its hearsay but I heard a few 8th graders from Northern played in the Pulaski Co. / Southwestern JV game.

They are allowed if NO juniors.
I guess if you need them to fill a spot because of low numbers it would be ok but why would you do it for any other reason ? Jv and freshman teams are for developing freshman / sophomores and maybe some weaker juniors so why would you take playing time away from those kids , Raceland has a huge 8th grade player like 6"2 280/290 playing up was never considered physically he wouldn't have any problems playing up but why take snaps away from other kids . Sometimes I think parents are in to big of a hurry slow down and enjoy them
The only two occurrences of 8th graders playing Freshman ball at Russell that I can think of were Nathan McPeek in 1995 and Nick Conley in 2012. There may be others that I'm unaware of. Those two were so physically mature for their ages, there was really no point in keeping them down at the JFL level any longer.
samson81 Wrote:The only two occurrences of 8th graders playing Freshman ball at Russell that I can think of were Nathan McPeek in 1995 and Nick Conley in 2012. There may be others that I'm unaware of. Those two were so physically mature for their ages, there was really no point in keeping them down at the JFL level any longer.

That's because Russell didn't have a middle school program just jfl until high school Tj fixed that if they had s middle school program Conley would've played middle school
Has the rule recently changed that prevents 8th graders from playing varsity because I know tim couch played some as 8th grade because it said in khsaa record book that his total career yardage included yards that did not count at national level because he was an 8th grader
footballfever Wrote:They are allowed if NO juniors.

What is this really you? I though you had passed since you have not been Sizemore bashing in a while. Have you dropped your 2 favorite teams already and now trolling and giving advice about 8th graders which obviously you know nothing about. Tell them how you would move a 210lbs 8th grade qb to wide receiver on extra points and lose a district championship game.
cherokee Wrote:What is this really you? I though you had passed since you have not been Sizemore bashing in a while. Have you dropped your 2 favorite teams already and now trolling and giving advice about 8th graders which obviously you know nothing about. Tell them how you would move a 210lbs 8th grade qb to wide receiver on extra points and lose a district championship game.

You have great kids.!!! You are the ass!!! Kids must get it from mom!!!😄👍
footballfever Wrote:You have great kids.!!! You are the ass!!! Kids must get it from mom!!!����

yeah and she knows more football than youConfusednicker:
cherokee Wrote:yeah and she knows more football than youConfusednicker:

We agree on 2 things😄🍺
footballfever Wrote:We agree on 2 things����

really 3 in the fact that you know nothing:hilarious:
cherokee Wrote:really 3 in the fact that you know nothing:hilarious:

Sorry. I was including that. You have great kids, you are an ass, your wife knows more football than me.😄🏈