Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Famous Coach Charlie Adkins Quotes or Stories!
I was speaking with a Paintsville Alumni yesturday and we were bringing up some Coach Adkins sayings. I suggested that he post this on here but he didn't. So I will.

I have heard story after story about Coach Adkins and some of the things he has said or done and everyone of them are awsome.

So if you have a great quote or funny memory from your days under Coach Adkins, Let's hear it!

In NO way is this thread intended to make fun or bash Coach Adkins what so ever. Just great stories of a Great Coach. Who we will miss seeing (and hearing) in the dugout this year and many years to come. Good Luck Coach Adkins!

:theman: :golf: :worthy: :mad:
well i guess i will start it off. back in the early 90's paintsville always went to flordia for a spring break baseball tourny, well they had a day off so they were on there way to disney world and they staoped at mcdonalds for food before they went to the park. when they got back on the bus they were a minute away from the park when one of the players hit the bus driver (adkins) with a chicken nugget, well he stoped the bus and truned and it around and said there will be no f**king mickey mouse today.
IN THE EARLY 90'S PAINTSVILLE NEVER WENT TO FLORIDA UNLESS IT WAS THE YEAR THEY WON STATE. THEY ALWAYS WENT TO MYRTLE BEACH. GET IT RIGHT. THERE ARE JUST TO MANY STORIES TO TELL ABOUT COACH ADKINS.

"jackson5" Wrote:well i guess i will start it off. back in the early 90's paintsville always went to flordia for a spring break baseball tourny, well they had a day off so they were on there way to disney world and they staoped at mcdonalds for food before they went to the park. when they got back on the bus they were a minute away from the park when one of the players hit the bus driver (adkins) with a chicken nugget, well he stoped the bus and truned and it around and said there will be no f**king mickey mouse today.
I loved the man, wouldn't have wanted to play for anyone else. I remember about my sophomore year we were taking a round of infield. There were a few errors that day and all everyone wanted to know is what our new uniforms were going to look like since the rumor was we would be getting new threads. Adkins got so mad that he yelled "I'm gonna order those new uniforms with poca dots for you bunch of clowns." Then went on to say numerous times through the season that we were a ferriswheel short of a full blown circus. And during the games after an error you could hear him say "Do-do-dododo-do-do-dodo" over and over....too many stories. I did hear about that story yesterday about the the trip to Florida that year. "There will be NO MICKEY, AND NO GOOFY".....i about lost it. Let me think of some more and i'll be back later.
A while back Coach was mad while they were in Florida, and he stopped the bus, drove down the highway 1 mile, and said "You've got 3 minutes." So they ran on the highway for 1 mile.
Another one had to be from the late 70's. The team was on a road trip and they ended up losing a game. He went on and on to the players, but the funny thing about it was he didn't just stop at the players he went to the water boy and said, "And you son, you drunk enough water to float a battleship." I'm sure someone on here knows who he said that to...lol
the year he told his son to get off the bus and call his moma to come and get him.
Another one had to be back in 2002 when they played in Myrtle Beach against the #6 team in the nation. They were getting beat and some of the freshmen was on the bench cracking jokes, laughing, having a good ole' time. He turned to them and said "You all aren't nothing but a bunch of hamburger eaters, every last one of ya."

Here is another one, one of the pitchers came in during a bases loaded situation. The pitcher threw just three pitches. Two were hit for doubles and drove in 3 runs, the next pitch was a ball. He called time, went to the mound and told him that he didn't have his stuff today and his curveball wasn't working. Funny thing about it was he didn't even have a curveball.

Another was the bases were loaded with 1 out, the pitcher was practically throwing batting practice, the shortstop asked the coach if he wanted them to play in. He said "No, you'll get your shins beat off." One of the players on the bench laughed, and he turned to him and said, "how about we put you in there and let you get your shins beat off." So many more stories to tell...great man, love him to death.
I'm sure some of you as old as me can remember Coach Adkins standing at the end of third base dugout yelling his favorite name during the 70's....Asssssburrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!....that boy was always getting yelled at*lol*
Basketball........"Jimmy Wayne the good Lord wasted his time putting a left arm on you. If it hadn't been for those bleechers you wouldn't have stopped 'til you got to City Hall."
Two years ago he got thrown out of the game because he was yelling at the umpire asking him how he could make that bad call and the umpire was explaining it in elaboratly and Charlie said "God Dangit son I didn't want a g** d*** short story." Then after being thrown out he replied. "It's my own damn feild, you can't throw me out."
"Eagle_Dad" Wrote:Two years ago he got thrown out of the game because he was yelling at the umpire asking him how he could make that bad call and the umpire was explaining it in elaboratly and Charlie said "God Dangit son I didn't want a g** d*** short story." Then after being thrown out he replied. "It's my own damn feild, you can't throw me out."
I remember that, and the one where he said everyone was hamburger eaters. My favorite was in Wayne County WV. This was when there was still a conference and it had 4 teams from WV and 4 from KY. Anyway. It was the 2 or 3rd game of the season and Paintsville was getting beat. Chas Harmon made and error and turned to Jermey Slone (who was pitching) and said my bad Jer. Adkins goes "your GD right it was your bad'. So the inning ends and everyone comes into the dugout. Adkins slings a bat or cooler and goes " You f*ckers are one unicycle short of a GD circus, you wont win 5 f*cking ball games. Paintsville ended up with mid 20 wins and a regional title. LOL
Here are some good quotes.

"I'll be stuffed full of sh*t like a christmas turkey"
"GD son, your not an infeilder, you have hands like a boxer"
"Anything random and he would throw "pregnant water buffalos" on the end of it." Like you guys run like a bunch of pregnant water buffalos.
Another is what he told a fan one time in the City Between the Lakes tourney. She was like, I didn't come here to listen to your vulgarity. He told her "Then you shouldn't have bought a GD ticket".
"FUPA" Wrote:"Anything random and he would throw "pregnant water buffalos" on the end of it." Like you guys run like a bunch of pregnant water buffalos.

The team was down in south carolina and had just gotten beat by Summerville, SC.. they wer on the bus and he said, "Ill be damned!!...your guys instincts could fit in a f***ing thimble..better yet, you guys have the instincs of a f***ing pregnant water buffalo"... those were some good times

I also know of when a guy named Morry Thompson..ithink.. he was pitching and his jock broke.. so he yelled time and said coach coach come here.. Coach Adkins came to the mound and he said, "GD it morry what the hell is it!... and morry said, "coach my jock broke!.. and adkins said, "what the hell yo want me to do..hold your dick!"

those r some funny ones.. ill get more and come back later.. man those boys in blue are sure gonna miss him
"Err Is Human" Wrote:The team was down in south carolina and had just gotten beat by Summerville, SC.. they wer on the bus and he said, "Ill be damned!!...your guys instincts could fit in a f***ing thimble..better yet, you guys have the instincs of a f***ing pregnant water buffalo"... those were some good times

I also know of when a guy named Morry Thompson..ithink.. he was pitching and his jock broke.. so he yelled time and said coach coach come here.. Coach Adkins came to the mound and he said, "GD it morry what the hell is it!... and morry said, "coach my jock broke!.. and adkins said, "what the hell yo want me to do..hold your dick!"

those r some funny ones.. ill get more and come back later.. man those boys in blue are sure gonna miss him
That gave me a laugh. I remember that first one, but that second is hilarious. There is a story about Adkins, B.J. Ward and some parents. It is real funny. I know someone out there knows this story better than me.
When people would hit pop ups in practice he would always tell them.... "You couldn't hit it out of a Silo son" lol. And when you would make a mistake he would say something liek this for example. " Good ole' Corey. We can always count on him to F**k Things up." He made sure everyone heard it too. It would embarass the hell out of you. LOL I know he is the Driver's Ed teacher too... I know there has to be some good stories there too. Ive heard some lol. Great coach and a Great man.
After one game he got mad and through his keys in a feild and made the team go searching for them all night. He was the bus driver then lol. That would of been great to see.
Coach Adkins and Coach Collins were some great laughs as long as they werent directed toward you
I got one about Coach Adkins in Drivers Ed. Well one morning me, this big fat guy, and a ditsy girl was taking the 1990 cranberry sunbird out for a spin. I had just got done with my turn and took my seat in the back with the fat kid. The girl got in the seat and put the car in drive. The next thing I hear is squeelin, Coach looks down at his floor to see if he had his foot on the special brake thats on his side. He tells her to stop and put it back in park. "Now let's try this again", the car still spinning out, his face is turning red and I know something is coming. He said "GD'it son(talking to the fat kid) get the hell out and give us a push, you're weighin us down". Well that wasn't the case, the girl would never unlocked the emergency brake.
A recent season ago, at practice, we had 2 guys taking infield and 1 just kept missing the ball time after time, when finaly, Adkins yelled at the other kid and said..."GDit Andrew...you are gonna get Kyle killed over ther if you keep letting him take his turn"!!!
Well one thing I saw funny one time he was mad at a player so he lined him up against the wall in the dugout and threw baseballs at him.
Coach Has Settled Down Alot The Past 8 Or 9 Years. He Use To Be A Hell Of Alt Harder
I loved the little comments. Like during batting practices someone would whiff it and he would say "What a swarp" or GD'it you couldn't hit it with a boat paddle. I remember about 5 years ago during batting practice coach tells him to grab a bat and he goes up to hit. He steps in the batters box and coach goes "HOLD IT" WHAT THE HELL IS THAT". Kid goes, what are you talking about coach. Adkins says. WHAT THE F*** KINDA STANCE IS THAT, GET THE F*** OUT OF THE BOX. Guy never took a swing.
There used to be a momument just outside the 3rd base dugout that looked like a tombstone that had all of the years he had coached, one day a lady from a visiting team asked out loud "oh, is he buried there I didn't know he past away", Coach Adkins heard her and was coming off a bad round of golf(probably 2 under par)and replied "F* no I'm not buried there, I swear half the people in this town think I'm buried there and the over half wished I was." 

When I heard this i just turned away and made sure my face couldn't be seen.

Another one.  Two pitchers had just given up 14 runs to LC and coach was not happy and after the game he turned to them and said "Now guys I know our defense didn't help you much but GD some of those balls looked like they were shot out of a cannon, I don't know who has been blowing smoke up your A** but you two couldn't throw a ball through a...through...through a....through (searching for a word) piece of aluminum foil."

One more for now:  It was the last game of the regular season and we weren't playing very good because we had just got news that we drew MC in the district(please don't take offense MC fans but anyways) after about 2 straight walks followed by 3 errors Coach Adkins yelled to everyone within a country mile. (Insert that famous chuckle before this statement)  "Thats okay guys you drew Magoffin County in the district you might be able to play with them." 
"I'll be dipped right down in owl S*it"
When the ump wasn't calling close pitches, "Keep throwing, hell maybe they will swing"
"You couldn't hit it if it stopped."
"Son you are going to have to decide if you want to be a 3rd basemen or a lineman"

One time a buddy of mine was put in to run for the catcher and Coach Adkins told him to steal on the second pitch, now remember Coach Runyon is the 3rd base coach and had no idea he was told to steal. So he takes off and is gunned down to end the rally, Coach Runyon goes off screaming "I didn't tell you to go, what the hell are you doing"  Coach Adkins steps up and says its ok coach I told him to go, but I f* up and forgot to tell him he wasn't in F-ing little league anymore and didn't have to wait until the ball was past the hitter before you could leave." My friend had the two most feared coaches on his case at the same time. 
hahaha...i was going to mention that one about aluminum foil...couldn't think of anything to say so I guess that was the best he could do.  Another one is what he told PC_U_KNOW_98 his senior year in high school.  PC was taking some bp before the game and hit a little dribbler to the mound.  Adkins goes "GD son, 6'4 270 and can't get it past the mound"  PC turned around to him and said "I'm 6'2 220 gd it"  I guess we're all lucky that Adkins like him or I'm sure he'd still be hearing it today after saying something back.
This is a great topic! I had him in drivers ed. There are so many stories, I can't even remember them all. I already had my DL and there were only like two or three of us in the class who were legally driving. One guy was a real screw-up and Adkins would never let him drive, at all. He would say "no way in hell am I putting these other kids in that kind of danger" Also I remember more than a few trips through the Mcdonalds drive through in that Tempo.....and dragging down the baseball field in it too! :lmao:
What about the time he kicked the sh*t out of the pole and broke his foot. HAHA
One year over at Johnson Central, a while back, he hit a brick wall with a fungo bat and broke his thumb.
[quote author=jackson5 link=topic=19422.msg185262#msg185262 date=1140189187]
well i guess i will start it off. back in the early 90's paintsville always went to flordia for a spring break baseball tourny, well they had a day off so they were on there way to disney world and they staoped at mcdonalds for food before they went to the park. when they got back on the bus they were a minute away from the park when one of the players hit the bus driver (adkins) with a chicken nugget, well he stoped the bus and truned and it around and said there will be no f**king mickey mouse today.
[/quote]

This is one of C.A.'s all time best but it wasn't in the 90's.  It was way back in the late 70's or early 80's.  The nugget thrower was his (then) young son, Keith!!  Tony Mays was the instigater!!