Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Central Catholic @ Belfry 9/11
Big game between two small school powerhouses.
Obviously the first question will be "Who plays?'

Belfry still has the suspension of Corbett and Willis looming, they also will have to see if TJ Dotson returns after missing Harlan County with an injury. NewCath got their stud RB Jake Smith back this week but he only played a limited amount due to cramping.

The biggest story to me will be Belfry's Guard play. Guard was a huge question mark entering the season and with all due respect they have not been challenged yet by Tates Creek or Harlan County. This week they draw Maleek Lawrence who is IMHO the best DT in Northern Kentucky and one of the best DT's in the entire state. Think the ability to disrupt plays like Horton, just smaller and quicker.

NewCath will be the best defense Belfry has seen so far, if Browning starts again things will be a whole lot faster compared to what he saw in Baxter.
NCC is good but belfry is better.
Belfry by 28+
Belfry by 16
MountainSports Wrote:NCC is good but belfry is better.
Belfry by 28+

I hope you are right but I would be very shocked if Belfry won that big

NewCath is a different team with Smith back and their loss to Cooper was a bit misleading. Their defense played their hearts out, but without Smith, they barely could move the football and lost the field position game and eventually wore down.

I am thinking this will be a fairly low scoring game... I am thinking 21-10 Belfry
Lawrence is one of the quickest high school Dt I have ever seen. Still think the Pirates take this one. 21 - 12.
This game is at Belfry that all I'm saying except for my prediction. :Cheerlead

Belfry 42
NCC 21
The 2006 edition of this match-up was one of the best games I've ever watched. I hope this one lives up to the hype.
MountainSports Wrote:NCC is good but belfry is better.
Belfry by 28+

I think Belfry will win, but I would be shocked if it was by that much. This isn't your average 2A team. They play very good defense and they win championships about every other year if not more. They have a better chance of beating Belfry then Pikeville did last year IMO.
Imo NCC is around 5-7th best 2A school and belfry is the best 3A school and two time back to back state champions. If they don't beat them by at least 28, it's going to be a tough 3 more weeks. Again not saying NCC isn't good.. but belfry is just better.

I know Ekualum you try to see it as unbiased as possible, which is great. But Campbell county is not that good and they kept it close.
Tough to beat the Pirates at the CAM . . .

Belfry - 27

NCC - 13
If Belfry is going to show they can compete with Boyle they need to win this comfortably.
[quote=MountainSports]Imo NCC is around 5-7th best 2A school and belfry is the best 3A school and two time back to back state champions. If they don't beat them by at least 28, it's going to be a tough 3 more weeks. Again not saying NCC isn't good.. but belfry is just better.

I know Ekualum you try to see it as unbiased as possible, which is great. But Campbell county is not that good and they kept it

Sorry but there is not 4-6 2A schools better than NCC.
NDFOTBALLJUNKIE Wrote:Sorry but there is not 4-6 2A schools better than NCC.

Mayfield, Desales, CAL , owensboro Catholic, Danville, and Lexington Christian say other wise.
Belfry will be without their starting QB and returning leading rusher, and maybe their best permiter defender. That factors in.

I haven't seen NewCath Play but I expect them to be solid against the run on defense.
Belfry
MountainSports Wrote:Mayfield, Desales, CAL , owensboro Catholic, Danville, and Lexington Christian say other wise.

and what is that based on?
MountainSports Wrote:Mayfield, Desales, CAL , owensboro Catholic, Danville, and Lexington Christian say other wise.

DeSales and Mayfield may have arguments but guess what NCC may have something to say about the other 4 you listed my friend.
Belfry will run away with this one.
Personally, with a healthy Smith in the lineup, I'd put NCC right behind Desales and Mayfield in the 2a pecking order. Holding Scott to 1 TD tells you they're solid defensively and they beat 6a Campbell Co by close to the same as Highlands did and a week or so ago, Campbell was ranked 5th in NKy, ahead of both Beechwood and NCC, so, that was a decent win, at worse. NCC always improves as the season wears on and they could build a lot of confidence with a win this week. You can bet they'll be sky high and ready to go for this one. With that said, I think Belfry may still have a few too many horses, but, if the QB, RB and best defender isn't expected to play, that could sure level the playing field.. I'll say it'll be close, with Belfry pulling out the home win, 21-14
mysonis55 Wrote:belfry will run away with this one.

😂😂😂😂😂
I hope NCC can hang with them, but im guessing Belfry by 28+ if both teams are healthy, and everyone plays.
killbilly usmc Wrote:If Belfry is going to show they can compete with Boyle they need to win this comfortably.

that's for sure.
Newport Central Catholic 35-14.
killbilly usmc Wrote:If Belfry is going to show they can compete with Boyle they need to win this comfortably.

Ain't nothing says belfry Can't compete with Boyle. What has a Boyle done. I mean Central Hardin is a smidgen better than Tates Creek. Bell just sucks!!! And Danville come on. So my point is that Boyle and Belfry would meet in the finals. Belfry traditionally plays better at that time of the year. Boyle has not in the last several years. So we can have this discussion in December. Just my opinion
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:Ain't nothing says belfry Can't compete with Boyle. What has a Boyle done. I mean Central Hardin is a smidgen better than Tates Creek. Bell just sucks!!! And Danville come on. So my point is that Boyle and Belfry would meet in the finals. Belfry traditionally plays better at that time of the year. Boyle has not in the last several years. So we can have this discussion in December. Just my opinion

Boyle Didn't have Chuck Smith for several years.He is like Chuck Norris and scared the anchors off the Danville helmets. He will sink your ship too Confusednicker:
I thought the best line was
Gibbs and Dotson at Tackle
Scott and Preece guards
Lewis at center
Played very well last week
pjdoug Wrote:Boyle Didn't have Chuck Smith for several years.He is like Chuck Norris and scared the anchors off the Danville helmets. He will sink your ship too Confusednicker:

TongueirateSho:ChairHit: Best post ever on BGR. Lets face it Boyle County is the best 3a team. Central hardin is more than a smidgen better than Tates creek. Central Hardin would beat Tates Creek so bad they could take it out on there income taxes.
pjdoug Wrote:Newport Central Catholic 35-14.

Do you every get one right???
Lots of things can change in 10-11 weeks. Some teams will take off and some will prove to be pretenders, but, I do think Belfry needs to win this by 14 or more, especially at home, to solidify their ranking. There's some 3a teams really making a strong push to prove their worthiness, like E'Town, Caldwell Co, Corbin, Russell to name a few and then where do you put Lex Cath, Central and Tilghman. Those 3 are always hard to guage because they play such brutal schedules.