Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitley County 47 Middlesboro 38
Paul Crewe Wrote:They score more TDs than Bell did, like I said they could do. . Just did not know how bad the defense was going to play. I guess if Middlesboro celebrates a close game, says a lot about how good you really are.
One more than Bell. I was proud of Middlesboro and I do celebrate a well played game. Win or lose. Defense needs a lot of work, but I would have expected it from the Boro, not Whitley. But hey, they got the W and I will say it again, Congratulations Whitley and Chappell. :Clap:
Madness Wrote:With that defense it doesn't really matter now does it? The question is how good is there defense. Think about it.

Not sure what you even mean. I stated that we shouldn't judge Middlesboro's defense prematurely because in both games, they were facing huge schools with big offensive lines (and in Whitley's case, an elite talent at QB).

How can I fairly judge our defense based solely on their performance against schools way out of our classification? Not making excuses but being level headed. I will reserve complete judgement when we face a team or two that anyone thinks we are even supposed to have a chance against.
Just who would that be? There are only 3 that really matter. What about Pineville? How many do they put up?
Man this was to close for comfort tonight for jjdoug and Gut!!! Anyway congratulations to Whitley County and Luke woods on a great game!!! :HitWall:
Leonards_loser Wrote:I think Whitley could learn a lot from old Bronco's player Karl Mecklenburg…who once made the famous quote "Defensively, I think its important for us to tackle".

Here is exactly what I would do...

Whitley has a bye week next week.
The week after that they play W. Jessamine.

Starting Monday I would work on defense and defense only. I would find out what kids, even if its a frosh, wanted to play and get my two way players off the field. From Monday to Thursday 3:00 PM till dark I would do tackling drills and Oklahoma. That's it and that's all. On Friday and Saturday I would do nothing but work on special teams. Run your lanes on kickoffs 100,000 times if needed. Next Monday I would go right back into tackling drills.

Woods is a great player but he cant do what he did tonight every single week or hes going to get hurt. We made a stupid mistake and got a player ejected for I don't know what and hes probably the best tackler weve got. It will be 3 weeks before he takes the field again if you include the bye week. The Paul kid has something wrong with him and wont be back for at least 6 weeks. It took a kid ive never heard of running for his life tonight and showing up when nobody else did in that backfield except of course for Woods.

I know how much coaching experience is on that defense and how much they can do with very little. There is no reason they cant find 11 kids on that team that wants to play defense and wants to play it now. I think the defensive coaching is there but the fundamentals are not. You should know basic fundamentals by the time you hit high school and some of these kids don't. Mitchell and Adams both expect you too and then come in and learn the defense. There is no time for fundamental tackling drills 2 weeks into the season but that's whats going to happen. It might be the reason our middle school hasn't fared so well the last few years. These feeders have got to put somebody in each position that can step in and make an impact and actually teach the game of football. Hiring daddies who's only football experience is Madden just wont cut it. It would be a good place to start.
The offense is clicking and looking good, and even against Corbin looked pretty good when they actually had the ball. The problem is, if Woods goes down with an injury will this offense still work or is a great player making it look better than what it is? I don't know what they will do next year. There are no big bruiser backs like Whitley has always had to speak of, and the two backs that would be starting have left the state literally. To be honest I don't know these offensive and frosh/JV coaches at all except ive heard a couple of them played at South which tells me there is a 99% chance they are not use to winning. I find it hard to believe there wasn't better choices outside young kids at a place like Whitley. I hope it gets better and would love to see a great season but its going to take a lot more work.

That's my yearly soapbox and ive spoke my peace. The truth is the truth and I will enjoy watching the games and hope it gets better but I wont speak on the subject again. It is what it is. A lot of young kids on this team and these are the times where you make them better and it needs to be done. I have high hopes for the rest of the season and hopefully Whitley will be ready for teams like North and the rest of that district when that time roles around.

Lets see what happens.
Can't believe how Middlesboro's program was on a rise just a couple of years ago. Now this. I don't expect but maybe 1-2 wins this season.
Madness Wrote:Just who would that be? There are only 3 that really matter. What about Pineville? How many do they put up?
Come on Madness, how much they going to put up. I want it from an expert:biggrin:
Don't get all defensive, just a little humor.
mysonis55 Wrote:As PJ would say, "and the winner of the cupcake bowl is".
His favorite is "mediocre at best"
Congrats to Whitley on the win!! If they dont get that defense straighten out they won't be able to go far in playoffs. Woods cant do it all himself defense has to man up and help him out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
Colonels live and die with Woods. Nobody plays harder than Luke Allen.
Congrats to the Colonels...If you get a chance you need to go watch Luke Woods play, you will get your money's worth....
Middlesboro Wrote:Can't believe how Middlesboro's program was on a rise just a couple of years ago. Now this. I don't expect but maybe 1-2 wins this season.

Possibility that we can get 3. Pineville, South, and either Harlan or Williamsburg. But of course , we are young.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Here is exactly what I would do...

Starting Monday I would work on defense and defense only. I would find out what kids, even if its a frosh, wanted to play and get my two way players off the field. From Monday to Thursday 3:00 PM till dark I would do tackling drills and Oklahoma. That's it and that's all. On Friday and Saturday I would do nothing but work on special teams. Run your lanes on kickoffs 100,000 times if needed. Next Monday I would go right back into tackling drills.

Woods is a great player but he cant do what he did tonight every single week or hes going to get hurt. We made a stupid mistake and got a player ejected for I don't know what and hes probably the best tackler weve got. It will be 3 weeks before he takes the field again if you include the bye week. The Paul kid has something wrong with him and wont be back for at least 6 weeks. It took a kid ive never heard of running for his life tonight and showing up when nobody else did in that backfield except of course for Woods.

I know how much coaching experience is on that defense and how much they can do with very little. There is no reason they cant find 11 kids on that team that wants to play defense and wants to play it now. I think the defensive coaching is there but the fundamentals are not. You should know basic fundamentals by the time you hit high school and some of these kids don't. Mitchell and Adams both expect you too and then come in and learn the defense. There is no time for fundamental tackling drills 2 weeks into the season but that's whats going to happen. It might be the reason our middle school hasn't fared so well the last few years. These feeders have got to put somebody in each position that can step in and make an impact and actually teach the game of football. Hiring daddies who's only football experience is Madden just wont cut it. It would be a good place to start.
The offense is clicking and looking good, and even against Corbin looked pretty good when they actually had the ball. The problem is, if Woods goes down with an injury will this offense still work or is a great player making it look better than what it is? I don't know what they will do next year. There are no big bruiser backs like Whitley has always had to speak of, and the two backs that would be starting have left the state literally. To be honest I don't know these offensive and frosh/JV coaches at all except ive heard a couple of them played at South which tells me there is a 99% chance they are not use to winning. I find it hard to believe there wasn't better choices outside young kids at a place like Whitley. I hope it gets better and would love to see a great season but its going to take a lot more work.

That's my yearly soapbox and ive spoke my peace. The truth is the truth and I will enjoy watching the games and hope it gets better but I wont speak on the subject again. It is what it is. A lot of young kids on this team and these are the times where you make them better and it needs to be done. I have high hopes for the rest of the season and hopefully Whitley will be ready for teams like North and the rest of that district when that time roles around.

Lets see what happens.

Whitley had some players on the field last night that usyaly dont get to play.and a couple of them did a good job I agree they need some quality coaches at all the elementary schools .building the programs starts with the small kids and being fundamentally sound before they get to highschool. another middle school would also be nice to feed the highschoolSmile

Lets see what happens.
You are absolutely right. If Woods is not there they can not beat anyone on their schedule and defensively Chappell has, as a head coach, only given up less than 30 points once in his career for a season.
Perry CC
2003 33ppg and out in 1st rd playoff
2004 32ppg and out in 1st rd
2005 31ppg and no playoffs
South Laurel
2006 40ppg no playoffs
2007 34ppg out in 1st rd
2008 38ppg out in 1st rd
Campbellsville
2009 20ppg and 2nd rd loss
Whitley Co
2014 33 ppg and out in 1st rd
2015 36 ppg and may not make the playoffs

There is a pattern that is easily seen what ever time is spent on Defense in his career is not enough and he must not emphasize D. I am not at their practice so I don't know but again the pattern is clear when it comes to defense Chappell just does not get it.
I find it interesting that all the, in this case, Saturday morning qbs have all the answers. If you all, ritg and pjdoug, have all the answers then why are you not out there fixing the problems. I am sure Whitley County would gladly MAKE a coaching position for people as good as you think you are. You all are the problem with sports in our county!! You hide behind a screen name and tell everyone how to fix problems that are going on with our sports. Stop being a coward. Anyone can whine and complain when their name isn't attached. Tell us who you are so you all can fix ALL the problems with our sports. Or are you afraid that you would get laughed out of the county?!!!
RIUTG and PJDoug here is your opportunity to start coaching.. The word on the circuit is they let Mitchell go as D-Coordinator.. Step up to plate ... PJDoug is the master Defense guy..
footballfanatic33 Wrote:I find it interesting that all the, in this case, Saturday morning qbs have all the answers. If you all, ritg and pjdoug, have all the answers then why are you not out there fixing the problems. I am sure Whitley County would gladly MAKE a coaching position for people as good as you think you are. You all are the problem with sports in our county!! You hide behind a screen name and tell everyone how to fix problems that are going on with our sports. Stop being a coward. Anyone can whine and complain when their name isn't attached. Tell us who you are so you all can fix ALL the problems with our sports. Or are you afraid that you would get laughed out of the county?!!!

Wow you have give my cousin Cherokee **** He doesn't hide behind a screen now does he. Now who are you!!! Confusednicker:
Bobcat4years Wrote:RIUTG and PJDoug here is your opportunity to start coaching.. The word on the circuit is they let Mitchell go as D-Coordinator.. Step up to plate ... PJDoug is the master Defense guy..

David Mitchell is/was the D coordinator at Whitley County? Is Cotton Adams on the Whitley staff?
Sounds like someone has been called out. PJDOUG now is the time to step to the plate and lets hear what you would do. Gut has at least said what he would do. Would not surprise me if you were banned from Whitley County games with the coaches now calling you out on here. Man up.
Hate to hear Mitchell has been let go. He has spent his life coaching football.

Lets see what happens.

I agree GUT! That right there IMO is the #1 thing that so many schools do wrong. Then they have a bunch of talent slip through their hands and then everyone is scratching their heads as to why the talent level and play on the field ain't matching up. Some coaches get so wrapped up in the varsity stuff that they don't take the time to worry about the JFL and middle school stuff. If you were a fly on the wall with a program like Belfry or Johnson Central you would see why they are strong year in and year out and why they have freshman who can step right in and never have a very big drop off after they graduate a bunch. You show me a program who is strong and I will show you a program who has their s@#$ together in the feeder schools. I can't name a school in the mountains who does well in JFL and Middle who sucks in Varsity.
footballfanatic33 Wrote:I find it interesting that all the, in this case, Saturday morning qbs have all the answers. If you all, ritg and pjdoug, have all the answers then why are you not out there fixing the problems. I am sure Whitley County would gladly MAKE a coaching position for people as good as you think you are. You all are the problem with sports in our county!! You hide behind a screen name and tell everyone how to fix problems that are going on with our sports. Stop being a coward. Anyone can whine and complain when their name isn't attached. Tell us who you are so you all can fix ALL the problems with our sports. Or are you afraid that you would get laughed out of the county?!!!

YOU! are what's wrong with Whitley County football.since you're a football genius why haven't you fixed the problems?You are part of the problem thats why.its no secret who I am.if you go to a Whitley County game you see me there because I'm a loyal die-hard Colonel,but you are probably somewhere else watching a different team.
Bobcat4years Wrote:RIUTG and PJDoug here is your opportunity to start coaching.. The word on the circuit is they let Mitchell go as D-Coordinator.. Step up to plate ... PJDoug is the master Defense guy..

Did I make this claim?:biggrin:
Gitback Coach Wrote:David Mitchell is/was the D coordinator at Whitley County? Is Cotton Adams on the Whitley staff?

Yes and Yes.
Do-double-gg Wrote:I agree GUT! That right there IMO is the #1 thing that so many schools do wrong. Then they have a bunch of talent slip through their hands and then everyone is scratching their heads as to why the talent level and play on the field ain't matching up. Some coaches get so wrapped up in the varsity stuff that they don't take the time to worry about the JFL and middle school stuff. If you were a fly on the wall with a program like Belfry or Johnson Central you would see why they are strong year in and year out and why they have freshman who can step right in and never have a very big drop off after they graduate a bunch. You show me a program who is strong and I will show you a program who has their s@#$ together in the feeder schools. I can't name a school in the mountains who does well in JFL and Middle who sucks in Varsity.

You got that right.
Lilly Wrote:Sounds like someone has been called out. PJDOUG now is the time to step to the plate and lets hear what you would do. Gut has at least said what he would do. Would not surprise me if you were banned from Whitley County games with the coaches now calling you out on here. Man up.

I thought sure he would have used some type of Icon to show us his coaching skills:biglmao::biglmao::biglmao::biglmao:
Sure hate to see Dave Mitchell gone..... I have a feeling he wasn't the prob...
bcpc Wrote:Sure hate to see Dave Mitchell gone..... I have a feeling he wasn't the prob...

He definitely was not the problem. David and Cotton coaching D together could coach at the college level, they know more about the game then any of the rest of the coaches down there. If you will look at my reply to GUT a few lines up is all I need to know about the problem. One year it happens to all good coaches but every year to give up that many points should make one think.
pjdoug you have been called out by the coaches at Whitley County, lOLOLOLOL. This is turning into a circus two games into the season after a thread that had 200000000000000 billion posts with PJDOUG claiming, well he claimed alot. This is hilarious!
bcpc Wrote:Sure hate to see Dave Mitchell gone..... I have a feeling he wasn't the prob...

What is the problem? can you help us get it fixed? Smile