•  Previous
  • 16(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2015
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
I really wish they would have put that corbin and bellndistrict in the same region with Belfry so they could lay them both in the playoffs every year.
You're definitely right about the effect breathitt has had in draining the competetion. Now that breathitt and Sheldon Clark can barely field teams has made it seem much worse than it is.
I will say this though. The corbin faithful have every right to be excited about what there looking at. If Corbin doesn't have a state title in the next 3 years I'd be very surprised. IMHO this season will be the last of the building process before they start drubbing everyone.

Belfry will be the team to beat this year and next.

As long as this current Belfry Junior class is there you can expect them to stay at an elite level. Going to be hard pressed to find a team in the East that will beat them in 2015 and 2016.

2017 is the year to try and get Belfry. Once Horton, Bentley, Corbett, Hall, and the gang graduate and the young guys behind them are asked to pave their own way. I think there is a very strong chance Corbin's best shot will be 2017 and would call them the favorite though it is so far away.

With that said, as long as families stay in the area Belfry still has a promising future. They have won three straight Middle School State Championships (starting with the Junior Class). Belfry's Freshman team last year beat the brakes off Johnson Central who had also won a State Championship and had been the only team to beat those guys when they were at BMS.

Keep an eye on upcoming Sophomores Derek Wellman, Taveon Hunter, Justin Adkins, and Devin Varney. Varney started as a Freshman at CB, Hunter is an electric athlete who contributed in Kick Return and may help at SE, Adkins will get reps at HB. Wellman is the one I am most excited about.
If there were another great FB in the Belfry pipeline it is him. Wellman will start against Tates Creek..either at FB or LB... just don't know where yet. He is going to be one of the better players in EKY by the time he is a Junior.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Truth be told I don't think Belfry's path has gotten all too much more difficult than in year's past LEADING up to the Championship.

In fact, the addition of Bell and Corbin I think have a Zero net effect.

Let's call it what it is... Breathitt's fall has really been the only thing that has made Belfry's path lighter the past two years. All previous years in 3A Belfry expected to meet a very good team(or two when Sheldon Clark was good) in the Region.

Whether it's Bell or Corbin, you can only play one team in the Semi's... and Belfry has always faced a good team in the Semi's. It's not some novel thing that Belfry now has to beat a good team to reach the Finals

If anything has made the path any more different it will be the inclusion of Russell in the Region.. which IMHO just serves to bring Belfry's path back to where it was up until 2 years ago when Breathitt was strong. In fact, instead of debating how Bell and Corbin made Belfry's life harder, the truth is it is more about how Bell and Corbin just got a lighter path for two teams who have yet to reach a Semi-Finals in the new 3A.

As for the Championship...there is no doubt the 3A title just got a lot tougher for anyone. With that said, I think the thought that suddenly Boyle and LexCath are the favorites...especially in 2015... is wayyyyy off by many.

It wasn't like either team were world beaters in 2014.. both struggled with pretty mediocre teams. Between the two the best win of the lot was Boyle beating a 4 loss Anderson County team in a game Anderson put up a ton of point and yards. LexCath, who won the Region and beat Boyle twice, lost to Lafayette and Bryan Station and struggled to beat a bad Madison Central team... Belfry thoroughly beat Henry Clay who proved the best of that lot. All signs point that last year LexCath and Central were pretty comparable teams and Belfry was the best of the group, Boyle the weakest.

Now if you look at who returns what... neither LexCath or Boyle return the experience of Belfry or Central. Boyle County's defense will improve in year two under Smith, but last year it was their offense that carried them to several of their wins. Boyle lost essentially all their offense save Robbins (who is a great player). LexCath does return offensive firepower but lost their talented QB and took hevay hits on an already spotty defense.

On the other hand, Central returns 8 starters each way... Belfry returns 7 each way including the brunt of one of the better defenses in the state. For anyone to infer Boyle or LexCath are instantly better than Central and Belfry is to take liberties that those teams are hypothetically improving substantially despite returning less experience. Is that possible? Sure... but the safe money would be that all 4 teams are all going to be on about the same level.

Great post:Thumbs:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
I really wish they would have put that corbin and bellndistrict in the same region with Belfry so they could lay them both in the playoffs every year.
You're definitely right about the effect breathitt has had in draining the competetion. Now that breathitt and Sheldon Clark can barely field teams has made it seem much worse than it is.
I will say this though. The corbin faithful have every right to be excited about what there looking at. If Corbin doesn't have a state title in the next 3 years I'd be very surprised. IMHO this season will be the last of the building process before they start drubbing everyone.

Corbin is definitely about to embark on a run of high quality talent. Should be very interesting
I agree Belfry will be good this year, but this is where it ends. Too much coming out of the West, plus Corbin is coming on strong.
luke skywalker Wrote:I agree Belfry will be good this year, but this is where it ends. Too much coming out of the West, plus Corbin is coming on strong.

Belfry will be one of the top 2-3 teams in 2015 and 2016.

Once again, until this Junior class leaves Belfry is going nowhere.

Those Juniors....Horton, Bentley, Catron, Hall, Corbett, Scott, in addition to the guys who we will see step up... that's a scary Junior Class.

Belfry should return 7-8 starters each way in 2016 as well.
luke skywalker Wrote:I agree Belfry will be good this year, but this is where it ends. Too much coming out of the West, plus Corbin is coming on strong.

West will definitely be strong....and IMO, that strength begins with Central. Belfry has won back to back championships....but I believe most Belfry fans would agree that Central is still the mountain that must be climbed to win a championship. I really don't see that changing even with Boyle and Lex Cath moving down.

Barring any unforeseen injuries....When he dust settles....I still think It'll be a Central vs. Belfry Championship game

soon it will start coming down to Boyle or Corbin every year...Boyle will likely be the champ this season.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Belfry will be the team to beat this year and next.

As long as this current Belfry Junior class is there you can expect them to stay at an elite level. Going to be hard pressed to find a team in the East that will beat them in 2015 and 2016.

2017 is the year to try and get Belfry. Once Horton, Bentley, Corbett, Hall, and the gang graduate and the young guys behind them are asked to pave their own way. I think there is a very strong chance Corbin's best shot will be 2017 and would call them the favorite though it is so far away.

With that said, as long as families stay in the area Belfry still has a promising future. They have won three straight Middle School State Championships (starting with the Junior Class). Belfry's Freshman team last year beat the brakes off Johnson Central who had also won a State Championship and had been the only team to beat those guys when they were at BMS.

Keep an eye on upcoming Sophomores Derek Wellman, Taveon Hunter, Justin Adkins, and Devin Varney. Varney started as a Freshman at CB, Hunter is an electric athlete who contributed in Kick Return and may help at SE, Adkins will get reps at HB. Wellman is the one I am most excited about.
If there were another great FB in the Belfry pipeline it is him. Wellman will start against Tates Creek..either at FB or LB... just don't know where yet. He is going to be one of the better players in EKY by the time he is a Junior.

I cant necessarily disagree with that.
I will go into this season with Belfry as the favorite out of the east, I don't think that changes, but Boyle will be a tough out for Belfry if they both make it to the title game.
Bigblue82 might want to chime in with names of upcoming players because I cant remember many Corbin names, but theyre are several kids that will be frosh and sophomores at Corbin who will be extremely good, especially with that frosh class who won two state titles in middle school and to be honest, absolutely embarrassed everyone they played . Competition may come a little quicker than you think. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Corbin dressing 85 to 90 players next year and for the foreseeable future. I do know Haddix has them working and excited. The sheer numbers alone of kids in the weight room and conditioning since school let out is pretty amazing.
Hopefully GBB82 gets on and starts talking. Id like to hear his thoughts on Corbin right now.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Truth be told I don't think Belfry's path has gotten all too much more difficult than in year's past LEADING up to the Championship.

In fact, the addition of Bell and Corbin I think have a Zero net effect.

Let's call it what it is... Breathitt's fall has really been the only thing that has made Belfry's path lighter the past two years. All previous years in 3A Belfry expected to meet a very good team(or two when Sheldon Clark was good) in the Region.

Whether it's Bell or Corbin, you can only play one team in the Semi's... and Belfry has always faced a good team in the Semi's. It's not some novel thing that Belfry now has to beat a good team to reach the Finals

If anything has made the path any more different it will be the inclusion of Russell in the Region.. which IMHO just serves to bring Belfry's path back to where it was up until 2 years ago when Breathitt was strong. In fact, instead of debating how Bell and Corbin made Belfry's life harder, the truth is it is more about how Bell and Corbin just got a lighter path for two teams who have yet to reach a Semi-Finals in the new 3A.

As for the Championship...there is no doubt the 3A title just got a lot tougher for anyone. With that said, I think the thought that suddenly Boyle and LexCath are the favorites...especially in 2015... is wayyyyy off by many.

It wasn't like either team were world beaters in 2014.. both struggled with pretty mediocre teams. Between the two the best win of the lot was Boyle beating a 4 loss Anderson County team in a game Anderson put up a ton of point and yards. LexCath, who won the Region and beat Boyle twice, lost to Lafayette and Bryan Station and struggled to beat a bad Madison Central team... Belfry thoroughly beat Henry Clay who proved the best of that lot. All signs point that last year LexCath and Central were pretty comparable teams and Belfry was the best of the group, Boyle the weakest.

Now if you look at who returns what... neither LexCath or Boyle return the experience of Belfry or Central. Boyle County's defense will improve in year two under Smith, but last year it was their offense that carried them to several of their wins. Boyle lost essentially all their offense save Robbins (who is a great player). LexCath does return offensive firepower but lost their talented QB and took hevay hits on an already spotty defense.

On the other hand, Central returns 8 starters each way... Belfry returns 7 each way including the brunt of one of the better defenses in the state. For anyone to infer Boyle or LexCath are instantly better than Central and Belfry is to take liberties that those teams are hypothetically improving substantially despite returning less experience. Is that possible? Sure... but the safe money would be that all 4 teams are all going to be on about the same level.

I was just kidding with the comment that got it started because Belfry is the champs until someone beats em. What I think a lot of people are talking about is the fact that teams like Louisville Central, Lexington Cath and Boyle Co all have way more talent to draw from then a team like Belfry ever will. Belfry caught Louisville Central on a down year with a lot of youth last season, but we all know how that series has gone all time. I honestly believe that one of those teams will get a strangle hold on 3A in the next season or two and never let go. IMO Boyle Co is the team I look to do it for several reasons.
#1 They have a lot of pride and tradition, school and community support in place.
#2 They have a proven winner in coach Smith who knows how to win championships.
#3 They have a large talent pool to draw from in that area and a lot of kids are going to want to play for coach Smith. I look for The Boyle Co rosters to start swelling big time in the next few seasons and a lot of kids at other surrounding schools will start to jump ship.
I believe Boyle, Central, Catholic and Corbin all 4 will be capable of beating Belfry this season. I said capable meaning that they will have enough talent, size, and depth to be right there with Belfry if not a little above. Will it play out on the field???????? we will see by seasons end.
Do-double-gg Wrote:I was just kidding with the comment that got it started because Belfry is the champs until someone beats em. What I think a lot of people are talking about is the fact that teams like Louisville Central, Lexington Cath and Boyle Co all have way more talent to draw from then a team like Belfry ever will. Belfry caught Louisville Central on a down year with a lot of youth last season, but we all know how that series has gone all time. I honestly believe that one of those teams will get a strangle hold on 3A in the next season or two and never let go. IMO Boyle Co is the team I look to do it for several reasons.
#1 They have a lot of pride and tradition, school and community support in place.
#2 They have a proven winner in coach Smith who knows how to win championships.
#3 They have a large talent pool to draw from in that area and a lot of kids are going to want to play for coach Smith. I look for The Boyle Co rosters to start swelling big time in the next few seasons and a lot of kids at other surrounding schools will start to jump ship.
I believe Boyle, Central, Catholic and Corbin all 4 will be capable of beating Belfry this season. I said capable meaning that they will have enough talent, size, and depth to be right there with Belfry if not a little above. Will it play out on the field???????? we will see by seasons end.

end of the road for the pirates.
I hear Belfry and Hazard have two 7 on 7s sett for Tuesday and Thursday.?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I cant necessarily disagree with that.
I will go into this season with Belfry as the favorite out of the east, I don't think that changes, but Boyle will be a tough out for Belfry if they both make it to the title game.
Bigblue82 might want to chime in with names of upcoming players because I cant remember many Corbin names, but theyre are several kids that will be frosh and sophomores at Corbin who will be extremely good, especially with that frosh class who won two state titles in middle school and to be honest, absolutely embarrassed everyone they played . Competition may come a little quicker than you think. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Corbin dressing 85 to 90 players next year and for the foreseeable future. I do know Haddix has them working and excited. The sheer numbers alone of kids in the weight room and conditioning since school let out is pretty amazing.
Hopefully GBB82 gets on and starts talking. Id like to hear his thoughts on Corbin right now.
I'm not taking anything away from the young kids of Corbin. I know they love football down there just as much as we do up here. But they also wasn't in belfrys bracket in those two middle school championships. And our kids won two also and did it very handily. Yeah Corbin might be good but I just don't see it happening. But I have heard nothing but outstanding things about Haddix. I heard he is an offensive genius. So I'm sure it will be a good one if its played. So we shall see
Belfry wore Corbin out in the middle school just a few years ago. If I ain't mistaken it was 28-0 on a neutral field. Corbin only had the ball twice past mid field on the Pirates. That group is now juniors at Belfry.
proud44pirate Wrote:Belfry wore Corbin out in the middle school just a few years ago. If I ain't mistaken it was 28-0 on a neutral field. Corbin only had the ball twice past mid field on the Pirates. That group is now juniors at Belfry.

Belfry fans have had their fun.it is nothing but disappointment from here on out Confusednicker:
How many Middle School Championships are there?
Practice start yet? What is the word?
Thrillex Wrote:How many Middle School Championships are there?

Three Divisions based on the size of the schools
Then a 7th Grade State Championship

Corbin has won some 7th grade titles as well but Belfry and Corbin compete in different size divisions. Corbin is Division 1 and Belfry is Division 2. Division 3 is the smallest.
Someone let me know how the belfry and hazard 7 on 7 goes?
Belfry, Hazard Thursday the 23rd at BHS 6pm
I think August 14th scrimmage at Raceland. Not sure of the time
There was more kids than than. If I recall there was 8th grade kids from the left (split side) to the right (tight side) that are freshmen this year. I hope your not a coach on here giving stats. The ones you added stats for where hold backs. Actually the true 8th grade boys on the O line where just as good if not better. But my seat my not be as good as yours. Seems to me they ran the ball off the tight side most of the time. From inside the TE to the center. Your missing a couple very talented kids. But the big picture is 11. From what I understand about belfry they play as a team. Last time I counted it took 11 on one side or the other to make a team. Not 6. Not 8. Not 10. I also noticed on the defensive side on the ball the BMS had a couple boys that had to stand on the side lines and was well good enough if not better than others. I do understand we play to win. But there was some true 8th graders that should be mentioned. It's not my place to be on here talking about anyone's kids either way. As a coach, parent or just adult we set examples for the young. So if I'm on here to give credit let's give it across the board. Good day
Thrillex Wrote:How many Middle School Championships are there?

Division I, II and III
Heard from a reliable source that Russell had 80+ out for their first practice. I am sure Belfry won't suit up that many but I hope it is a good solid number.
All this talk of numbers is great but unless Khsaa changed the rule you can only play 11 at a time?????

Belfry is defending champs and has a whole bunch of kids back. Enough said they are the favorites hands down.
William Muney Wrote:All this talk of numbers is great but unless Khsaa changed the rule you can only play 11 at a time?????

Belfry is defending champs and has a whole bunch of kids back. Enough said they are the favorites hands down.
I might agree that in theory Belfry should be the favorite, but to say the favorite hands down is a stretch
Have to remember we (Central) have a lot of returning players as well, and to be honest seeing whats going on so far, this is one of the fastest teams we will have in the last few years, and I know you remember playing our teams with team speed. I think we will meet in the finals again, except the world will be right again with us winning this year. Cant wait to see how both teams do this season.
So, Lucas.....how many returning players do you (Central) have. What about your skill positions this year?
William Muney Wrote:All this talk of numbers is great but unless Khsaa changed the rule you can only play 11 at a time?????

Bull Butter.Who says they are the favorites? You?
^^^

We are returning 8 on each side of the ball, plus we got two transfers at wide receiver thats coming in. Like Ive been saying this will be a team of old with speed and a stiff defense. I hope we get to see the pirates again, we have a little payback to hand out from last year :Thumbs:
pjdoug Wrote:Bull Butter.Who says they are the favorites? You?

Who says we ain't the favorites? You?
luke skywalker Wrote:^^^

We are returning 8 on each side of the ball, plus we got two transfers at wide receiver thats coming in. Like Ive been saying this will be a team of old with speed and a stiff defense. I hope we get to see the pirates again, we have a little payback to hand out from last year :Thumbs:
Sounds like another good game if we both make it that far. Which God forbid any major injuries to key players I feel it will happen. And I say that because we play tougher schedules than most. And since we are talkin paybacks we still owe you guys a couple. Lol. We are pretty dang fast to. And Our defense is lights out hands down with 8 returning. And I'm willing to bet we will have one of if not the biggest offensive lines in the state. Gonna be an interesting year. I'm excited
  •  Previous
  • 16(current)
  • Next