•  Previous
  • 15(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2015
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I would think Russell has been a pretty common playoff opponent as well?

In recent memory alone:

Belfry is 4-2 in those games... 4 of those games were State Semi-Finals... Belfry and Russell have split those 2-2.

I know they played a few times in the 70's and 80's as well

Right you are.
My list does seem to be missing the results of the 1978 season. Russell is at least 7 times.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:If I'm not mistaken....Jimmy Bevins made All-State for Belfry in 1981 or 1982....but made it as a Defensive Back. However, he played QB for the Pirates. Not a great passer...but a heck of a runner. Thought he and Lee Dotson both made All State same year......

You are correct. 1981 for Bevins and Dotson. However, I'm fairly certain at least on the plaque at the complex Bevins is listed at running back.
I know Cole Bentley and Ray Horton are great defensive players and I'm not a belfry fan so idk if Bentley started at TE last year but I do know he can play it. Are they limited to D or can they play O too?
Belfry0304 Wrote:Right you are.
My list does seem to be missing the results of the 1978 season. Russell is at least 7 times.

I don't believe they played each other in the playoffs that year. Belfry lost at Russell 7-6 during the regular season that year, after a successful 2-point conversion was called back. Only district champion went to the playoffs then, Russell. They won state that year.
PikevillePanthers62 Wrote:I know Cole Bentley and Ray Horton are great defensive players and I'm not a belfry fan so idk if Bentley started at TE last year but I do know he can play it. Are they limited to D or can they play O too?

Cole is a pretty darn good blocker. He started his freshman and sophomore year at TE and would honestly be one of if not the best offensive lineman on the team. Ray is a solid blocker as well but has really just played defense to this point because Cole has held down the tight end position. He's played some TE, but not a whole lot.
When does practice start? First of August? Last week of July?
http://247sports.com/Article/FBU-Nashvil...s-37594517

For those who care. Wink
Belfry0304 Wrote:Right you are.
I'm pretty sure '04, '05, '06, '08, '10, and '14 are the only playoff meetings between Russell and Belfry. I found records indicating at least nine other games between the two schools. They were all regular season district games. I have no scores, only the winner.

'73, '77, '78, '83, '84 - Russell

'75, '76 '79, '85 - Belfry

It's a pretty safe bet that they played in '74, and '80-'82, but I couldn't find district records for those years. They may have also played some games back in the 60's, but again, no records indicating for certain. I was surprised to find that back then, teams didn't always play every other team in their district. For example, in '86(the last year they were in the same district), Russell and Belfry both finished 1-0 in district play without playing each other. They both beat Johnson Central, but Belfry got the playoff berth(better overall record, maybe?). Sheldon Clark was part of the district, but somehow didn't play a single district game.

The records I found show at least fifteen meetings between Belfry and Russell with Belfry holding an 8-7 advantage.
In all honesty, coming from a huge fan of Phillip Haywood who has never had the opportunity to actually meet the man face to face. How much longer do you Belfry fans think Haywood has left in him?
Belfry defeated Russell in 86 by a big margin, if I'm not mistaken it was for the district title. The game was played at Russell. That Belfry team went on two play in the 3A state championship.
Thanks for the info/correction. I thought it was odd that they weren't credited with playing that year.

I got my information here: http://www.kyhssports.freewebspace.com
samson81 Wrote:I'm pretty sure '04, '05, '06, '08, '10, and '14 are the only playoff meetings between Russell and Belfry. I found records indicating at least nine other games between the two schools. They were all regular season district games. I have no scores, only the winner.

'73, '77, '78, '83, '84 - Russell

'75, '76 '79, '85 - Belfry

It's a pretty safe bet that they played in '74, and '80-'82, but I couldn't find district records for those years. They may have also played some games back in the 60's, but again, no records indicating for certain. I was surprised to find that back then, teams didn't always play every other team in their district. For example, in '86(the last year they were in the same district), Russell and Belfry both finished 1-0 in district play without playing each other. They both beat Johnson Central, but Belfry got the playoff berth(better overall record, maybe?). Sheldon Clark was part of the district, but somehow didn't play a single district game.

The records I found show at least fifteen meetings between Belfry and Russell with Belfry holding an 8-7 advantage.

81 and 82 also
they also won in 81 and 82 Russell ot in 81 and by a big margain in 82
The season can't get here fast enough. Should be an exciting year
Spud6 Wrote:In all honesty, coming from a huge fan of Phillip Haywood who has never had the opportunity to actually meet the man face to face. How much longer do you Belfry fans think Haywood has left in him?

Couldn't tell ya other than to say I don't think it will be within the next 5-7 years.
Pirate fans, give me your top 10 plays since 2003... any play you want!
kyfootball2014 Wrote:81 and 82 also

Russell won in 74. 75 at Belfry was the worse home cooking called game ive ever played in
mightydog Wrote:Russell won in 74. 75 at Belfry was the worse home cooking called game ive ever played in

of course it was Confusednicker:
Lets get back to talking about this years team all the pros and cons, players to watch etc..
Ray or Cole pick up any offers on the summer circuit? haven't heard or seen anything from the recruiting sites.
Thrillex Wrote:Ray or Cole pick up any offers on the summer circuit? haven't heard or seen anything from the recruiting sites.

so Cole is not leaving?
Anyone that might be flying under the radar ready to make a splash? I assume everyone is taking vacations and gettin their last lazy days in before it starts.

Hope to hear some good practice reports from you guys. Go Belfry, take state!
I sure to respect Belfry's football program and Coach Haywood. Looking forward to seeing them play this year.
Should get a good read on Belfry in a month down in Richlands.

Richlands apparently returns the majority of their team from a group who went to the State Semi's and added three key transfers including an All-Region Running Back. Some are calling them the favorite to win Virginia Class 2A.

Gate City is ranked #7 in 2A and George Wythe is a Top 10 team in 1A.

I also saw that Belfry will not be scrimmaging Hazard but will be travelling to schedule South Point, OH instead
Belfry will have a great team in 2015, but I believe all roads to a 3A title go through Boyle County this year! They were pretty darn good last year and they return a lot this year and I expect coach Smith to have that team to top form this season.
This has been a long winter and spring and I am ready for some football. I had to start my jabbing of the Belfry guys at some point lol!:biggrin:
Do-double-gg Wrote:Belfry will have a great team in 2015, but I believe all roads to a 3A title go through Boyle County this year! They were pretty darn good last year and they return a lot this year and I expect coach Smith to have that team to top form this season.

I agree. Boyle County is the team to beat. Go Rebels!
Central was a tough out for Belfry every year, win or lose.
I just have a feeling 3A will be extremely tougher for Belfry under this format. Theres no doubt that 3A is stacked, and will be fun to watch, but to get through the tough potential games in the East and have a date with Bell or Corbin most years only for the prize to be Boyle or Lex Cath.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Central was a tough out for Belfry every year, win or lose.
I just have a feeling 3A will be extremely tougher for Belfry under this format. Theres no doubt that 3A is stacked, and will be fun to watch, but to get through the tough potential games in the East and have a date with Bell or Corbin most years only for the prize to be Boyle or Lex Cath.

Truth be told I don't think Belfry's path has gotten all too much more difficult than in year's past LEADING up to the Championship.

In fact, the addition of Bell and Corbin I think have a Zero net effect.

Let's call it what it is... Breathitt's fall has really been the only thing that has made Belfry's path lighter the past two years. All previous years in 3A Belfry expected to meet a very good team(or two when Sheldon Clark was good) in the Region.

Whether it's Bell or Corbin, you can only play one team in the Semi's... and Belfry has always faced a good team in the Semi's. It's not some novel thing that Belfry now has to beat a good team to reach the Finals

If anything has made the path any more different it will be the inclusion of Russell in the Region.. which IMHO just serves to bring Belfry's path back to where it was up until 2 years ago when Breathitt was strong. In fact, instead of debating how Bell and Corbin made Belfry's life harder, the truth is it is more about how Bell and Corbin just got a lighter path for two teams who have yet to reach a Semi-Finals in the new 3A.

As for the Championship...there is no doubt the 3A title just got a lot tougher for anyone. With that said, I think the thought that suddenly Boyle and LexCath are the favorites...especially in 2015... is wayyyyy off by many.

It wasn't like either team were world beaters in 2014.. both struggled with pretty mediocre teams. Between the two the best win of the lot was Boyle beating a 4 loss Anderson County team in a game Anderson put up a ton of point and yards. LexCath, who won the Region and beat Boyle twice, lost to Lafayette and Bryan Station and struggled to beat a bad Madison Central team... Belfry thoroughly beat Henry Clay who proved the best of that lot. All signs point that last year LexCath and Central were pretty comparable teams and Belfry was the best of the group, Boyle the weakest.

Now if you look at who returns what... neither LexCath or Boyle return the experience of Belfry or Central. Boyle County's defense will improve in year two under Smith, but last year it was their offense that carried them to several of their wins. Boyle lost essentially all their offense save Robbins (who is a great player). LexCath does return offensive firepower but lost their talented QB and took hevay hits on an already spotty defense.

On the other hand, Central returns 8 starters each way... Belfry returns 7 each way including the brunt of one of the better defenses in the state. For anyone to infer Boyle or LexCath are instantly better than Central and Belfry is to take liberties that those teams are hypothetically improving substantially despite returning less experience. Is that possible? Sure... but the safe money would be that all 4 teams are all going to be on about the same level.
^
I really wish they would have put that corbin and bellndistrict in the same region with Belfry so they could lay them both in the playoffs every year.
You're definitely right about the effect breathitt has had in draining the competetion. Now that breathitt and Sheldon Clark can barely field teams has made it seem much worse than it is.
I will say this though. The corbin faithful have every right to be excited about what there looking at. If Corbin doesn't have a state title in the next 3 years I'd be very surprised. IMHO this season will be the last of the building process before they start drubbing everyone.
  •  Previous
  • 15(current)
  • Next