Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wisconsin 71 Kentucky 64
The Big ten again tells the SEC not today, as the Badgers defeat the Wildcats tonight.

LOVE THE BIG TEN AND THE BADGERS.

I expected the Cats to win by ten or more but can't be shocked that the Badgers, who are a team of solid workers, who play in a much greater conference won the contest.
Poor execution by UK down the stretch when they were up , a bad call on a inbounds play, and a no call on a shot clock violation, was to much to overcome...Hats off to Wisconsin, they out rebounded UK by 12 and shot a bunch of three throws...Sometimes the best team does not win, hope the zebras sleep well tonight...
I said 3 weeks ago Kentucky would not win title, and got laughed at. Kentucky being undefeated was largely due to a soft schedule. There non conference was not bad, but the best they had played was my heels, and Louisville. Both of which were teams that I would put in the 8-12 mark if ranking all teams. I know Louisville was like 4 when they played uk, but it was proven they were overranked then. The sec was just weak with Arkansas being the only other team ranked, and was like 18th. I think Kentucky was in that top group of teams who are even. Those being uk, Whisky, Duke, Arizona, and maybe a couple more. Any of theses teams could beat the other. The acc, and big 10 was just brutal, and the top teams took a few losses. UK would to in these conferances. My heels, and Louisville were good, but a step behind these others, and those were the best opponents Kentucky had faced. Still a great season. I do agree on the shot clock call that should have went Kentucky's way, but keep in mind that whisky got robbed when they didn't get foul shots on an obvious flagrant by lyles. I don't think he should have been ejected, but whisky definitely deserved foul shots for the shot to the neck. If these uk players will forego the draft, hands down uk wins it next year, but it will be interesting to see who will want to stay, and right the ship.
I thought before the game I would sent every big man I had to the basket every time, and get kaminsky in foul trouble, but Kentucky seemed content taking there points with a lot of jumpers. I would have took more points inside, and got kaminsky on the bench with fouls. Kentucky has to many good bigs to not try this, but maybe I don't know what im talking about just surprised Kentucky didn't seem interested in being physical seemed to be content with trading jumpers, and keeping it fast paced.
Sad loss. Lets try it again next year.
The no call on shot clock violation was a killer, but refs made some very bad calls all night both ways. Never like Cal's coaching down the stretch in close games and thought tonight when UK was up 4 that he did a very poor job of closing the game out. Hate the stall ball and felt they should have attacked and got the ball into Towns. This game hurts, but it was a great, fun year. Love my Cats! Now the fun starts on who stays and who goes, and what new players come. How many days till midnight madness?
I am seriously entertaining the ideal of not investing so much time and energy into this shit anymore. It would be a much better life not worrying about whether or not we will win a title. Starting next year, im going to ease off of it. Wont watch it unless we get to the final.
There was no reason for this. End of story.
Kentucky's guards took 31 shots from the field vs. 17 for Wisconsin and the Badgers dominated the boards. Calipari said that he had the 'Cats focus on what they do best in practice the past week. Ryan had the Badgers watching video of Kentucky to prepare.

Last night's game was the result of a mediocre coach with great talent but a bad game plan going against a great coach with good talent and a game plan to match. Wisconsin did not play its best game last night, but they did not have to.

Those who think that Kentucky played a weak schedule are wrong. The

SEC will be much stronger next season and the Wildcats will have another great collection of talent. Kentucky will have about the same chance of winning the national title next season as they did this season but they may not win the SEC. LSU is going to be very talented if Martin and Mackey return for another season.

As I have said all season, I hate watching Calipari's offense. The team plays great defense but I wish that Calipari would spend the off season watching last night's game over and over and scrap the dribble drive offense in favor of Bo Ryan's offense.

Oh, and the shot clock no-call did not beat Kentucky. The refs were bad both ways and the no call flagrant foul by Lyles was at least as damaging to Wisconsin. Kaminsky and Decker were never in any danger of getting in foul trouble thanks to Calipari's poor game plan. That is what beat Kentucky.

At least we were spared watching Duke's inferior talent and whining coach beat Kentucky. Go Badgers!
Bob Seger or Hoot (don't remember which) was talking about the twins.
The twins lost us this game.
No reason to cry about the refs, that never fixes anything.
Ballers Wrote:Bob Seger or Hoot (don't remember which) was talking about the twins.
The twins lost us this game.
No reason to cry about the refs, that never fixes anything.
I have been critical of the twins' selfish play all season long, but they played pretty well in the tournament. I don't believe that they lost the game last night, because I believe that they executed Coach Cal's game plan about as well as they are capable of doing. Of course, if they had shot lights out, Kentucky probably would have won despite a bad game plan, but the same can be said of any team. Kentucky played pretty well last night and lost to a better, but less talented, team.

When a team is loaded with first round draft picks in their front court and they play a team that lacks depth and has no more than half the number of first round draft picks in its lineup, then that team should pound the ball inside from the opening tip off. Calipari recruits the best players that he can and forces them to play his offensive system. That system works great when John Wall is running the point, but what system would not run great with Wall running it?

I just do not enjoy watching John Calipari's offense as much as I like watching a system like Bo Ryan's, which focuses more on movement, screens, and fundamental basketball skills than athleticism. I was pulling for Kentucky to win last night as I always do, but I would have hated watching the team get out coached against Duke tomorrow night. If they were going to lose, then it is better that they lost against Bo Ryan than against a jerk like Coach K.
Kentucky beat Kentucky. But never seen the stall ball all season until then!! To me that sounds fishy.. Maybe a sell out or buy out.. Just my opinion.
Well I don't want Duke to win it, and Wisconson beat us so I don't want them to win it either.

What has really killed me though is on social media how critical all Cardinal fans have been. Rooting Wisconsin on. Makes no sense, very classless, leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.
Louisville fans cheering on Wisconsin is no different than a UK fan cheering for Duke or Louisville to lose.

There are a few of us basketball fans out there that just want to see some good basketball...
But there ain't many!
From the moment Cal said that he didn't let the kids watch game film on Wisconsin I knew this one was in question.

Just because you're 38-0 doesn't mean that you can play the game however you want and still win, ESPECIALLY in the Final Four.

After the Cats went up 5-0 and Wisconsin came back, it was evident that they didn't know how to defend Wisconsin and they didn't have a good idea of how to score on them.

Then they were up 4-points with 4 minutes to go and they took the foot off the gas...

After that debacle against Notre Dame, Cal should have made sure his kids knew Wisconsin inside and out, but this kind of sums up a large part of his career. Whenever he plays an experienced team that's well coached he struggles.
Did anyone see the post-game interview on Harrison?
They asked him about Kaminsky lol... I couldn't believe he said that!
Ballers Wrote:Did anyone see the post-game interview on Harrison?
They asked him about Kaminsky lol... I couldn't believe he said that!
He is the self-centered punk that I thought he was. The did not ask him about Kaminsky, they asked somebody else and he muttered is opinion into a hot mike that he did not realize was on - then he said it was a joke. Pretty stupid and very classless for a guy hoping to get an NBA team to take a chance on him in a few weeks.

I hope the Harrisons make themselves available for the draft. Good riddance, IMO. If I never see Aaron whine about another obvious personal foul called on him it will be too soon.
Look at it like this.
The UK/WIS game was the most watched final four game in over 20 years.
The national title game will not come close to it.

We are the cash king for television, so much so that they should give us all one of those damn buicks weve had to see over and over and over again.

The difference fan wise is, we actually care. Wisconsin may care NOW, but if they lose Monday, they'll go back to doing what they always did. And if they win, they will be happy, and then mediocrity and being irrelevant sets back in next year while were most like a top 5 team, maybe preseason number one depending on who comes back.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I have been critical of the twins' selfish play all season long, but they played pretty well in the tournament. I don't believe that they lost the game last night, because I believe that they executed Coach Cal's game plan about as well as they are capable of doing. Of course, if they had shot lights out, Kentucky probably would have won despite a bad game plan, but the same can be said of any team. Kentucky played pretty well last night and lost to a better, but less talented, team.

When a team is loaded with first round draft picks in their front court and they play a team that lacks depth and has no more than half the number of first round draft picks in its lineup, then that team should pound the ball inside from the opening tip off. Calipari recruits the best players that he can and forces them to play his offensive system. That system works great when John Wall is running the point, but what system would not run great with Wall running it?

I just do not enjoy watching John Calipari's offense as much as I like watching a system like Bo Ryan's, which focuses more on movement, screens, and fundamental basketball skills than athleticism. I was pulling for Kentucky to win last night as I always do, but I would have hated watching the team get out coached against Duke tomorrow night. If they were going to lose, then it is better that they lost against Bo Ryan than against a jerk like Coach K.

The Twins are 67-12 a 85% winning percentage as starting guards at Kentucky! Key members to two Final Four teams, and it's still not good enough! Both had a good first Half and Cal starts Booker and Ulis in the 2nd half WTF???
Refs didn't decide the outcome of the game, and they were very, very inconsistent on both ends of the floor, not just in favor of one team. As for the missed shot clock violation? That was by far the most obvious, and worse missed call I've ever seen. But you also have to go back when Lyles hit the Wisconsin player, there's no denying that it should've been a flagrant 1, but nothing called? That was a huge surprise. But Towns, who I think was the best player on the floor, didn't get any touches down the stretch, reason(s) why? Mainly the Harrisons trying to be the hero, and forcing the issue, and then the Coach for not making any positive adjustments. The only so called adjustment he made, was when they had a 4 point lead with 4, or 5 minutes left, and they started to freeze the ball, that's when the Harrisons forced it, penetrating to the basket with 5 or less on the shot clock, and ended up in violations of their own. I honestly think though that the turning point for Wisconsin was when the player got hit by Lyles, they were really dead in the water, and turned another gear after that happened, especially the Dekker kid, he's played some POY type Basketball all tournament. Wisconsin really showed up to play, and didn't shy away when asked about getting revenge, they wanted it, and went out and got it. As for Kentucky, there are things, as a Sports fan I really want to see before my time is over, a Division 1 Men's College Basketball team going undefeated is one of them, this will probably be the closest we will ever see it happen, 38-0 is a historic accomplishment, there is no deny that, and what this team achieved this season has been unheard of the last 25-30 years, outside of UNLV in the early 90's. Congrats to Wisconsin and Coach Bo Ryan, very deserving Championship appearance, and Congrats to Kentucky also, a historic, milestone season that the BBN, and the team should be very proud of.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Kentucky's guards took 31 shots from the field vs. 17 for Wisconsin and the Badgers dominated the boards. Calipari said that he had the 'Cats focus on what they do best in practice the past week. Ryan had the Badgers watching video of Kentucky to prepare.

Last night's game was the result of a mediocre coach with great talent but a bad game plan going against a great coach with good talent and a game plan to match. Wisconsin did not play its best game last night, but they did not have to.

SEC will be much stronger next season and the Wildcats will have another great collection of talent. Kentucky will have about the same chance of winning the national title next season as they did this season but they may not win the SEC. LSU is going to be very talented if Martin and Mackey return for another season.

As I have said all season, I hate watching Calipari's offense. The team plays great defense but I wish that Calipari would spend the off season watching last night's game over and over and scrap the dribble drive offense in favor of Bo Ryan's offense.

Oh, and the shot clock no-call did not beat Kentucky. The refs were bad both ways and the no call flagrant foul by Lyles was at least as damaging to Wisconsin. Kaminsky and Decker were never in any danger of getting in foul trouble thanks to Calipari's poor game plan. That is what beat Kentucky.

At least we were spared watching Duke's inferior talent and whining coach beat Kentucky. Go Badgers!

I have defended Cal on here more than one time but last night he blew fuse.
bac2369 Wrote:Kentucky beat Kentucky. But never seen the stall ball all season until then!! To me that sounds fishy.. Maybe a sell out or buy out.. Just my opinion.

I don't understand why Cal refused to play Towns and Johnson together? WCS has never been a scoring option. Why not play Towns who is a great shooter at the high post and Johnson who has a good post game on the low post???
honestjchsfan Wrote:The Twins are 67-12 a 85% winning percentage as starting guards at Kentucky! Key members to two Final Four teams, and it's still not good enough! Both had a good first Half and Cal starts Booker and Ulis in the 2nd half WTF???
Booker and Ulis are 38-1, a 97% winning percentage as Wildcats, just as every other Kentucky freshman is. Furthermore, neither one of them has ever lost an NCAA Final Four game as a starter. The Harrisons have lost two each. (See, I can abuse stats just as well as you can.)

Kentucky had far more talent than any team in the tournament, as the NBA draft will clearly show. Kentucky lost because of a poorly conceived game plan and the decision to award playing time based on seniority over merit all season long.

Wisconsin's best shooters take most of the team's shots. For Kentucky, their best shooters are often turned into spectators. Cauley-Stein, Towns, and Lyles should have taken at least 60 percent of the shots taken by UK's starters. Instead, Kentucky's most prolific shooters were Aaron Harrison, Booker, and Andrew Harrison. Towns, a 57 percent FG shooter took 114 fewer shots than Aaron Harrison did. Willie Cauley-Stein took 131 fewer shots than Andrew Harrison attempted.

Only one of the three players who attempted the most shots for Kentucky connected on at least 40 percent of his attempts, and that was Devin Booker, who did not even start.

Wisconsin's top two shot takers are Frank Kaminsky and Sam Dekker - by a wide margin. It was no coincidence that Kaminsky and Dekker are also Wisconsin's two best shooters. That is the way basketball is supposed to be played and that is how the game is supposed to be coached.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I am seriously entertaining the ideal of not investing so much time and energy into this shit anymore. It would be a much better life not worrying about whether or not we will win a title. Starting next year, im going to ease off of it. Wont watch it unless we get to the final.

I understand how you feel! Cal makes things complicated you love the guy because he is the greatest recruiter and the guy wins games heck he was 38-0 going into the game last night but it was so painful to watch his meltdown in the last 5 minutes! Cal was a lost ball in high weeds at the end of the game last night. Had somebody beat them by hitting 20 three pointers would have been way more acceptable but to fall apart because of the pressure was hard to watch!
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Booker and Ulis are 38-1, a 97% winning percentage as Wildcats, just as every other Kentucky freshman is. Furthermore, neither one of them has ever lost an NCAA Final Four game as a starter. The Harrisons have lost two each. (See, I can abuse stats just as well as you can.)

Kentucky had far more talent than any team in the tournament, as the NBA draft will clearly show. Kentucky lost because of a poorly conceived game plan and the decision to award playing time based on seniority over merit all season long.

Wisconsin's best shooters take most of the team's shots. For Kentucky, their best shooters are often turned into spectators. Cauley-Stein, Towns, and Lyles should have taken at least 60 percent of the shots taken by UK's starters. Instead, Kentucky's most prolific shooters were Aaron Harrison, Booker, and Andrew Harrison. Towns, a 57 percent FG shooter took 114 fewer shots than Aaron Harrison did. Willie Cauley-Stein took 131 fewer shots than Andrew Harrison attempted.

Only one of the three players who attempted the most shots for Kentucky connected on at least 40 percent of his attempts, and that was Devin Booker, who did not even start.

Wisconsin's top two shot takers are Frank Kaminsky and Sam Dekker - by a wide margin. It was no coincidence that Kaminsky and Dekker are also Wisconsin's two best shooters. That is the way basketball is supposed to be played and that is how the game is supposed to be coached.

I agree with you Hoot I think you are right now! In 2012 the right people took the most shots and that was what made them champs!
honestjchsfan Wrote:I don't understand why Cal refused to play Towns and Johnson together? WCS has never been a scoring option. Why not play Towns who is a great shooter at the high post and Johnson who has a good post game on the low post???
WCS was a 57 percent shooter. There is no reason that he should not have been more of a scoring threat and I think that he will be more of a scoring threat in the NBA than he was at UK, just like Anthony Davis has been.

I really don't think that it is Cauley-Stein's fault or Trey Lyles fault that they were not bigger scoring threats. That was their coach's decision. IMO, Johnson would have struggled to get enough shots in Calipari's offense if he had played more. He was lucky to have been on the floor with Ulis as much as he was. Ulis really does not need to get off a lot of shots to be happy.
honestjchsfan Wrote:I agree with you Hoot I think you are right now! In 2012 the right people took the most shots and that was what made them champs!
Who am I going to argue with now? :biggrin:

I also think that the 2012 team had much better chemistry than this team did. My favorite Calipari team to watch was the 2009-2010 team led by John Wall.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Kentucky's guards took 31 shots from the field vs. 17 for Wisconsin and the Badgers dominated the boards. Calipari said that he had the 'Cats focus on what they do best in practice the past week. Ryan had the Badgers watching video of Kentucky to prepare.

Well said statement!

Also, I think Martin and Mickey both declared for the draft. As for if they've hired an agent, I'm not completely sure.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Who am I going to argue with now? :biggrin:

I also think that the 2012 team had much better chemistry than this team did. My favorite Calipari team to watch was the 2009-2010 team led by John Wall.

When the 2012 team needed a basket they would get a dunk.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I am seriously entertaining the ideal of not investing so much time and energy into this shit anymore. It would be a much better life not worrying about whether or not we will win a title. Starting next year, im going to ease off of it. Wont watch it unless we get to the final.

I remember saying the exact same thing this time last year.

It's simple, we just got beaten. Wisconsin played the better game and now they will be playing for the championship. I hate to see the season end; it has been a great one for sure!!