•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 3A top 10
The Outsider Wrote:Nobody from the east is going to beat belfry the next 2-3 years.

As much as I respect and like Belfry's program, I think the East's road to
BG will be much more difficult for all with the new alignment....
West's road will also be difficult... I think 3A overall will be more challenging. And I think it
all starts in 2014 with the holes that need to be filled and everyone young talent coming back....... Then, it continues with the new alignment in 2015.....
jw4914 Wrote:As much as I respect and like Belfry's program, I think the East's road to
BG will be much more difficult for all with the new alignment....

The West is where it gets the toughest to be honest.

The East definitely got tough by moving Bell County and Corbin back where they belong... not to mention a Russell program about to have a resurgance...but the West is straight up Murderer's Row.
DragonFire Wrote:I think you'll be surprised just how far of a step back South Warren will take. They only lost 12 seniors, but those seniors represented 6 starters on the defensive side and 7 starters on the offensive side of the ball. Several of those players started since the inception of the program, including Jay Eblen, the only Spartan to ever start at QB. They only have one returning defensive starter that will be a senior, and only three returning starters that will be seniors on the offensive side of the ball. They lose their top two and four of their top 5 in tackles. They lose 3 of their front 4 (including UK signee Adrian Middleton) and their two interior linebackers. Two of their returning starters are in the secondary, and they don't run up against many teams that even try to pass. It was their rushing D where they made their name last year, and I just don't see their newcomers replacing that production.

You are right that they have more to choose from, but more or not, you don't gain 2-3 years of experience overnight. The guys stepping in will be lacking in that department, and I expect South Warren to slide to the bottom of the top 10, maybe just outside it.

I agree.

I would add to this that South Warren was not a very good offensive team last season AT ALL.

Their defense was dominant at most times.. but their offense probably wasn't even a Top 10 offense in 3A. In their 3 toughest tests... none of which were known for being dominant defensive teams mind you:

vs. Daviess County- 3 points scored (Loss)
vs. Russellville- 21 points scored (Win)
vs. Tilghman- 7 points scored (Loss)

Only 10 points per game average against 3 teams that were far from being the Steel Curtain.

The offense was greatly aided throughout the season by their unbelievable defense setting them up with short fields and turnovers. The defense typically was creating 3 and Outs so it also was giving them their maximum amount of offensive possessions.

Losing several key pieces on offense gives me limited assurance they will vastly improve in 2014.
I am still looking for PT to become dominant in next 3 yrs time in 3a. It will take at least 2 but maybe 3 yrs then they will be ready.
mysonis55 Wrote:I am still looking for PT to become dominant in next 3 yrs time in 3a. It will take at least 2 but maybe 3 yrs then they will be ready.

Consistently dominate Boyle, lex Cath, and central? Not sure I'm buying that.
Time will tell. Just give them 2 years and we will see.
DragonFire Wrote:I think you'll be surprised just how far of a step back South Warren will take. They only lost 12 seniors, but those seniors represented 6 starters on the defensive side and 7 starters on the offensive side of the ball. Several of those players started since the inception of the program, including Jay Eblen, the only Spartan to ever start at QB. They only have one returning defensive starter that will be a senior, and only three returning starters that will be seniors on the offensive side of the ball. They lose their top two and four of their top 5 in tackles. They lose 3 of their front 4 (including UK signee Adrian Middleton) and their two interior linebackers. Two of their returning starters are in the secondary, and they don't run up against many teams that even try to pass. It was their rushing D where they made their name last year, and I just don't see their newcomers replacing that production.

You are right that they have more to choose from, but more or not, you don't gain 2-3 years of experience overnight. The guys stepping in will be lacking in that department, and I expect South Warren to slide to the bottom of the top 10, maybe just outside it.

DFire, is SW moving up to 4a or 5a in 15? I was under the impression that they had 5a enrollment size. Is that true? Wasn't there JV and freshman teams pretty solid last year?
KYHSFBFan Wrote:DFire, is SW moving up to 4a or 5a in 15? I was under the impression that they had 5a enrollment size. Is that true? Wasn't there JV and freshman teams pretty solid last year?

South Warren will be 4A in the next alignment, but that is only due to the fact that they (inexplicably) changed to a 4 year average enrollment for this alignment. If it had been 2 years like it had been the last several cycles, South Warren would be 5A.

As far as I know their JV and Freshman teams were solid. I don't mean to indicate that they won't be good or devoid of talent, but I do believe that last year's team was in a unique position to play some advantages. They had the enrollment advantage, yes, but also the services of the aforementioned experienced starters that had been at the forefront of the program for years. They went through a trial by fire at the varsity level, and the JV & Freshman levels just aren't that.
Wow, a 5a team playing in 3a.
Central has 2 3A losses ALL -TIME , and some of you guys don't even have them in the top 5. Classic case of Hater ism.
It is an eastern dominated thread. I have said all along that Central and PT will have something to say about this. I think it will be another west year in 3a.
Coachdad Wrote:Central has 2 3A losses ALL -TIME , and some of you guys don't even have them in the top 5. Classic case of Hater ism.

mysonis55 Wrote:It is an eastern dominated thread. I have said all along that Central and PT will have something to say about this. I think it will be another west year in 3a.

I only see 64SUR with them outside their Top 5?

Most everyone has Central at #2 like myself...or at #3....

Central has proven they will be a factor every year.

PT is like a "Central Lite", hard to give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. Yet Central should command everyone's respect as long as Scroggins is coaching. It is an "Eastern" thread because thusfar it has been hard to take anyone in the Central Time Zone as a serious contender year in and year out in 3A...a trend I expect to continue for the most part even in the new alignment. Ft. Campbell has been underwhelming since moving up and Trigg County has not found their footing as well. Warren South should be a dominant team and they haven't really asserted themselves as a true threat. Tilghman is the only one to sustain any form of success but they have rarely lived up to their lofty expectations and are the biggest enigma in the State.

Truth be told the only CST team to continually meet or exceed expectations has been Monroe County. They have played Central as tight as anyone not named Belfry and have fielded some quality teams over the past few years.
I promise you that by this time next year you will be singing a different tune about PT. They have Rogers there now and he has brought back Shanks. These are 2 great disciplinarians that still will encourage the kids and allow them to have fun. Every movement them boys make will be like clockwork by the second year of work. Shanks is the one that had them headed to state this year until Wyatt ran him out the week before Wayne Co. Ask Highlands fans if I am not correct. This team will become a big factor and possibly even this year.
mysonis55 Wrote:I promise you that by this time next year you will be singing a different tune about PT. They have Rogers there now and he has brought back Shanks. These are 2 great disciplinarians that still will encourage the kids and allow them to have fun. Every movement them boys make will be like clockwork by the second year of work. Shanks is the one that had them headed to state this year until Wyatt ran him out the week before Wayne Co. Ask Highlands fans if I am not correct. This team will become a big factor and possibly even this year.

I wouldnt expect to much praise for pt from highlands fans. If i remember correctly i think i heard highlands had alot of starters that were out that week.
mysonis55 Wrote:I promise you that by this time next year you will be singing a different tune about PT. They have Rogers there now and he has brought back Shanks. These are 2 great disciplinarians that still will encourage the kids and allow them to have fun. Every movement them boys make will be like clockwork by the second year of work. Shanks is the one that had them headed to state this year until Wyatt ran him out the week before Wayne Co. Ask Highlands fans if I am not correct. This team will become a big factor and possibly even this year.

Once again... not saying it wont happen but PT has to prove it first.

They have been paper Tigers the past 6 years and the only thing they have to show for it is a Championship the only year Belfry and Central were both down at the same time.

Until then to crown them as the new royalty of 3A with a team who habitually underachieves and a new coach who has yet to even sniff a State Semi-Finals as the man in charge... while the 3A Class is going to be absolutely stacked with the team who has habitually dominated (Central), the team who has been along with them step for step and the defending Champs (Belfry), all the while adding Boyle County and LexCath.

I know you want Tilghman to suddenly became the best team in 3A because it would reflect well on Mayfield..but you are drastically short selling the strength of the programs at the top of the class already...as well as the teams about to enter the mix.

Even if Rogers meets your expectations the absolute ceiling I see for Tilghman is to be an equal to Central and to me that is even a stretch. Year in and year out Central has slightly more talent as it stands in comparison, so to even equal the Jackets would mean Rogers is a wash compared to Ty Scroggins who is in my opinion one of the best coaches in the State. To insinuate Tilghman is going to "dominate" means either you feel they have more talent, or that they will have a better coaching staff. I simply can;t concede that in either case.
I'm just saying, you will be surprised.
mysonis55 Wrote:I'm just saying, you will be surprised.

Boyle County with Chuck Smith returning is the team that I think you have to keep the eye on.

Chuck Smith's time at Boyle culminated with one of the most impressive dynasty runs that seemingly came out of nowhere this state had ever seen. It didnt take Smith long to turn Boyle into one of the Top 5 overall programs in the State after they were a habitual cellar dweller prior to his arrival.

Smith takes Boyle back over in a much different spot. He inherits a team who is consistently still a Top 20 team in KY regardless of class. On top of that, his feeder system is in tact and he will be helped by area rivals who aren't necessarily killing it themselves which should allow for the talent pool to flow his way.
I am very much aware of Boyle Co. I just know what Rogers has to work with. You would be hard pressed to find a coach that wouldn't want the talent that PT routinely offers.
mysonis55 Wrote:I am very much aware of Boyle Co. I just know what Rogers has to work with. You would be hard pressed to find a coach that wouldn't want the talent that PT routinely offers.

You musta met a Paducah Tilghman grad who didn't have gag reflexes or something...
A team with 4 or 5 titles that has pride and tradition. A team that always has talent and now has a coaching staff. I would say Rogers will have as much talent as at WC and in 3a. He will have a better defensive coordinator.
4 or 5?
Nope... Try 3. Same as Belfry.
No, at least 4.
Yall might have to compromise on the number of titles for pt. They won it outright in 73, 85, and 09, but in 80 there was a state 4a champ, and a 4a jefferson county champ then those 2 would meet for an overall 4a champ. Pt was the 4a state champ but lost in overall 4a champ game to whoever the jefferson county winner was, i think it was trinity. I know pt claims that year on there stadium entrance sign that has 28 titles on it 4 boys track.
Sorry, the KHSAA's official website lists 1973, 1985, and 2009. They have three state championships.

That overall 4A thing is kinda stupid, but hey if we got to count state titles that we would've won if Jefferson County hadn't played we'd have 7 instead of 3.
I knew I saw 4 on the board last year when I was there. I just couldn't remember if they had added 2009 yet or not. They have so many in track I wasn't even about to take a crack at that. I would have had to take my shoes off to count that many.
mysonis55 Wrote:I knew I saw 4 on the board last year when I was there. I just couldn't remember if they had added 2009 yet or not. They have so many in track I wasn't even about to take a crack at that. I would have had to take my shoes off to count that many.

I forgot that having a track team on the field = championships. Must be why Oregon is racking up national title after national title.
And what did that have to do with anything. I didn't try to claim that the track had anything to do with it. I simply said they had a lot of them. My whole point is that this team is established, they have a boat load of athletes, they have big heavies to put up front and now they have the coaching staff to utilize it. I did not squish on your Belfry pride. I simply said this will be a power in another yr or so. Like it or not, you will see that I am right.
That's fine, you can continue to gush all over them if you want, I'm not buying in until I see results.
I will and you will soon see the results.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next