Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your top 10 Sweet 16 moments?
It's getting to be that time fellas. I'm interested to hear some other most memorable moments from the state tournament. List the moment and out from it give the year(s) and maybe a reason why, if applicable. I'll go first.

1. Brandon Bender dunk in finals- 1999. It was my very first trip to the sweet16 & the first dunk I had ever seen in a non college/NBA game.
2. Chris Lofton- None needed here. Would definitely be first if not for sentimental reasons on #1
3. Warren Central-2004. I still think this is the best team to win it in the past 15 years.
4. Montgomery County-2013. I cant remember too many more times where the majority of Rupp Arena was behind one team.
5. State finals-2013. Such an epic comeback for Hawkins and Madison Central.
6. Shelby Valley-2010. Gotta pull for the small schools.
7. State finals-2011. Probably the most exciting championship that I have witnessed.
8. Bill Mike Runyon-2009. After Paintsville nearly pulls off another upset in the 2nd round, the legendary coach bows down and kisses the Rupp floor in what was thought to be his last hurrah.
9. Pendleton County-2005. Even though they were ousted in the opening round, I feel in love with this team in only one half of ball. I thought if given a better draw that they possessed enough talent to make a run at it. Also, the type of team that good stories are written about.
10. State finals- 2009. HHS v.s Lou. Cent. The teams weren't real glamorous, but still was a good game to cap off another season. As a fan, you want to see overtime games in the championship.

*Honorable mention- Rose Hill-2003
Wish I could name 10 moments but I've not been enough to do that. All I can say is Shelby Valley's run in 2010 was incredible to witness.

And last year's championship game is tough to beat obviously.

Watching a very young OJ Mayo compete in 2003 was pretty cool also.
You guys are young. Paul Andrews half court shot at buzzer for the Laurel Co. win in 1982 has to be the top moment in Sweet 16 history.
Maybe not the best game, best performance or best dunk but the best moment, yes.
I don't know if I can come up with 10 but I will list as many as I can come up with! Not necessarily in any order:

-Bosley's 3 that won the title for Madison Central last year.
-The baseline jumper the kid hit to win the championship for Christian County over Rowan County in 2011. I thought this would be a lackluster match-up but it was a great game!.
-Near the top of the list would have to be the Scott County/Lexington Catholic semifinal game in 1998. Rick Jones deep running 3 at the buzzer sent them on to win the championship that night over Paintsville.
-Shelby Valley over Ballard in 2010 finals. It's always fun watching David beat Goliath. If I remember right, Shelby Valley won this one comfortably.
I've been to about 11 state tourneys,, a couple back in the days of Louisville getting to host it every other year. I'm yet to watch a final. Knott never sniffed a final and I went to drink. Wouldn't have remembered anyway,, lol. Tim Couches Sr year of high school,, he rented basically half of the pool area in continental inn for 4 days,, we never left the hotel for a week. Hey,, I enjoyed it,, lol. Those are my state tourney moments.
11thRegionHoops Wrote:I don't know if I can come up with 10 but I will list as many as I can come up with! Not necessarily in any order:

-Bosley's 3 that won the title for Madison Central last year.
-The baseline jumper the kid hit to win the championship for Christian County over Rowan County in 2011. I thought this would be a lackluster match-up but it was a great game!.
-Near the top of the list would have to be the Scott County/Lexington Catholic semifinal game in 1998. Rick Jones deep running 3 at the buzzer sent them on to win the championship that night over Paintsville.
-Shelby Valley over Ballard in 2010 finals. It's always fun watching David beat Goliath. If I remember right, Shelby Valley won this one comfortably.
Funny story: SV closest postseason game that year was in the regional finals when they beat Betsy Layne by 8. One would have to conclude that the 15th region was the best in the state in 2010. lol
My top 3 were all simi-final games.

1. Scott Co outscores Lexington Catholic (ranked #3 in USA Today) 11-3 in the last 35 seconds to upset Lex Cath. Rick Jones his a running 35 footer for the win.
2. South Laurel beats PRP in OT to advance to the finals.
3. Tyler Hicks makes three miraculous plays in the final 30 seconds to send the game to overtime against Chris Lofton and Mason Co. Mason Co wins in OT after Hicks fouls out of his final game.
Nothing compares io ihe Paul Andrews shot.
Paul Andrews shot has to be number one. It is still unbelievable to see when they play it on the screen before games. The Bud Mackey shot for Scott County a few years back should get a mention as well. Kid had all the potential in the world and was quickly forgotten.
This year, barring something unforeseen will make 22 straight years of seeing at least one game for me. School and baseball have stood in the way of attending all the games like I used to do. Hopefully next year or soon I can get back to seeing them all.

I will think about this.

Off the top of my head, Lonnell DeWalts tourney for Warren Central and highlight reel plays as the Dragons and their unreal band captured the title, Ken-Jah Bosley's shot, Rowan County/Christian County State Title game, Anthony Hickey sparking Christian County to a win against LexCath, The Ballard teams from when I was kid were so fun to watch just warm up, Chris Lofton just nailing trey after trey.

My favorite sporting event of the year. It was a huge part of my childhood and I'm really glad I have been able to keep the streak alive.

The 2011 Christian County team knocking off Eastern in the semis.
Walking into Rupp for the first time as a child to watch CC has to be my 1
Walking into Rupp for the first time as a player has to be my 1a
Russ Chadwell scoring 42 in the semi finals in 87 -2
Richie Farmer scoring 53 in the finals in 88-3
Yea I'm a homer:Thumbs:
rojas Wrote:My top 3 were all simi-final games.

1. Scott Co outscores Lexington Catholic (ranked #3 in USA Today) 11-3 in the last 35 seconds to upset Lex Cath. Rick Jones his a running 35 footer for the win.
2. South Laurel beats PRP in OT to advance to the finals.
3. Tyler Hicks makes three miraculous plays in the final 30 seconds to send the game to overtime against Chris Lofton and Mason Co. Mason Co wins in OT after Hicks fouls out of his final game.

I forgot all about that Scott County/Mason County game. Thanks for reminding me! Lofton and Hicks went toe-to-toe. Didn't Hicks hit a jump shot then steal the in-bound pass and lay it in at the buzzer to force OT?
11thRegionHoops Wrote:I forgot all about that Scott County/Mason County game. Thanks for reminding me! Lofton and Hicks went toe-to-toe. Didn't Hicks hit a jump shot then steal the in-bound pass and lay it in at the buzzer to force OT?

You're exactly right. Tyler scored 3-pointer, ripped the ball away from a Mason Co player and scored a layup to tie the game, all within the last 7 seconds of regulation. I never saw a kid play with more passion than Tyler Hicks.
The 2000 semi-final game between Etown and Russellville was one of the most exciting Sweet 16 games ever. D1 talent everywhere, Antwan Barbour's coming out party and Key for Rville was a beast. It was a very high scoring affair and a very smooth game to watch.
Whatever happened to Lonnell Dewalt? I agree I think that was one of the most dominating teams in the past 15-20 years too. They also had Matt Maresca who looked like Dirk. That WC team was great and Dewalt was a human highlight reel.
I don't know if I have 10 specific moments, so I'll give you my top 10 games/players/moments

1. 1998: Scott County's Rick Jones buzzer beating 3 pointer to beat nationally ranked Lexington Catholic. I've never seen Billy Hicks run as fast and jump as high as he did after Jones hit the 3.

2. 2013: Madison Central's Ken-Jah Bosley hitting the game winning 3 pointer to beat heavily favored Ballard.

3. 2009 State Championship Game: Lou. Central's Ridge Wilson hitting a long range, buzzer beating 2 pointer to send the game into double OT. Holmes gutsy 9-0 run to take 2 point lead at the end of the 3rd quarter.

4. West Jessamine's Jarrod Polson in 2009

5. 2011 Semifinal and Finals: Christian County upsets Lou. Eastern, then beats Rowan County in double OT to win state.

6. Mason County's Chris Lofton in 2003

7. 1999 Semifinals: Scott County beat Tilghman in OT, then Ballard makes a huge comeback to beat Henderson County.

8. Mason County's Darius Miller dominating Holmes in 2008 state finals.

9. Scott County's Bud Mackey in 2007, what could've been.

10. 1999 Quarterfinal: Paducah Tilghman's defensive stand against Pleasure Ridge Park with 5 seconds left to win by 3.
Can't believe I forgot about that Caverna team with Boris Siakam.

So many names. Dewalt, Siakam, Polson, Justice, Hickey, Lofton, Wing, Slaughter, Mackey, Woods, Townsend, Mayo, Walker, Lorenzen, Bush, Vanhoose, Brohm, Miller, Dieudonne, Barber, Hawkins, Profitt.

Teams I associate most with the tourney for whatever reason: Ballard, Tilghman, Apollo, Mason County, Warren Central, Lex Cath, Scott County, Holmes, PRP, Cov Cath.

Cov Cath is random, but their student section always steals the show at the Sweet 16 when the Colonels are there. If you go all week, you pay attention to a few things: student sections, uniforms/warmups, coaches, bands, etc... CovCath's Student Section and Warren Central and Central's bands are my favorites.
1. Holmes vs Central Double OT
2.Rowan Co vs Christan Co Double OT

My two favor experience. My less favor, Scott Co losing to Trinity, loss some money on that one. LOL
Panther Thunder Wrote:This year, barring something unforeseen will make 22 straight years of seeing at least one game for me. School and baseball have stood in the way of attending all the games like I used to do. Hopefully next year or soon I can get back to seeing them all.

I will think about this.

Off the top of my head, Lonnell DeWalts tourney for Warren Central and highlight reel plays as the Dragons and their unreal band captured the title, Ken-Jah Bosley's shot, Rowan County/Christian County State Title game, Anthony Hickey sparking Christian County to a win against LexCath, The Ballard teams from when I was kid were so fun to watch just warm up, Chris Lofton just nailing trey after trey.

My favorite sporting event of the year. It was a huge part of my childhood and I'm really glad I have been able to keep the streak alive.

Perry played against Warren Central in their run and I can remember our pep section giving him pure heck the entire game... we got under his skin but he still killed us lol

He was a UK signee for football.
-Coach Bobby Keith's 1987 state tournament win over Ballard in OT @ Rupp.
Richie Farmer and CC Tigers defeat Ballard and Allan Houston.
-1988 Clay state runner up in Freedom Hall with Richie scoring 51 points against Ballard.
-1985 Clay County state runner up @ Rupp,
Panther Thunder, I share a lot of the same moments as you. Not been going quite as long, but this year makes my 15th consecutive. Good call on AJ Slaughter. Can't belive I left him off. That man turned in some very nice performances. Slaughterville as I like to refer to him.
Also, if any of you haven't ever seen the dunk highlights from that 04 Warren Central team then do so now.
Well My greatest would be the 1978 tournament.
2 seconds to go, Shelby Co. down 2 to Covington Holmes.
Mike George throws a full court out of bounce pass to Charles Hurt who turns and shots a 15 ft jumper to tie the game and send it to OT.....Shelby went on to win in the OT.
Tom Creamer taught coack K that play...LOL
That Complete tournament was very special. Shelby walks into an afternoon session to a sold out freedom Hall (16,600 at that time) and beat a 35-0 Edmonson County. On Friday night, Norris Beckly hit a baseline jumper at the Buzzer to beat Henry Clay and I can't remember who the semi-final win was against. Just a action pack tournament for me.
MVP2 Wrote:1. Holmes vs Central Double OT
2.Rowan Co vs Christan Co Double OT

My two favor experience. My less favor, Scott Co losing to Trinity, loss some money on that one. LOL

My first fav experience was when I walked into the arena at the first state tournament that I went to as a child. The second would be when I walked into that same arena as a team playing in the state tournament.
But, my least favorite experience is when Christian Co. beat Rowan in Double OT and then went home and watched the instant replay and the film of the game from WKYT and realized that Rowan really won that game!! So disheartening!! But still so proud of the boys for taking it like MEN!!
blue rainbow Wrote:My first fav experience was when I walked into the arena at the first state tournament that I went to as a child. The second would be when I walked into that same arena as a team playing in the state tournament.
But, my least favorite experience is when Christian Co. beat Rowan in Double OT and then went home and watched the instant replay and the film of the game from WKYT and realized that Rowan really won that game!! So disheartening!! But still so proud of the boys for taking it like MEN!!

Care to elaborate?

I've never heard this conspiracy theory before.:biggrin:
Buc Wild Wrote:Care to elaborate?

I've never heard this conspiracy theory before.:biggrin:

Townsend hit a three in the last 30 seconds of the game that was called a two. It was obviously a three, his foot was on the college line, not the high school line. That shot put Rowan down 3 instead of two. Next possession a Christian County player is fouled and missed the front end of a one and one. Rowan County's Darrell Cross then hit a three at the buzzer to send it to double OT I believe. Should have been the game winner.
Selfishly, I have to say Shelby Valley's run to the state title in 2010.

It started with an impressive demolition of Paducah Tilghman in the opener, a game that was over after the first quarter. Then came a great individual matchup between SV's Elisha Justice and WestJess's Jarrod Polson in the next round. Next was a blowout win over Mason County in the semi's, while the Ballard fans, who were sitting just across the aisle from my group, watched with a mix of wonderment and curiousity at the team they would play that night.

Finally, the championship game was something I will always remember. From the pregame pageantry, to hearing most of the unaligned folks in the crowd get behind and cheer the underdog, to the noise level in Rupp when the Valley fans realized their school was about to knock off a school over 3 times their size. As others mentioned on here, the game truly had a David-and-Goliath feel to it, although once the game started you would have never known by the play on the floor.

For a school the size of Shelby Valley, teams like the one in 2010 don't come around often. Honestly, my alma mater may never play for a state title ever again, so for me this is my favorite Sweet 16 moment.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Watching Morgan county go to its first sweet 16 in school history in 2004.
toussaints Wrote:I don't know if I have 10 specific moments, so I'll give you my top 10 games/players/moments

1. 1998: Scott County's Rick Jones buzzer beating 3 pointer to beat nationally ranked Lexington Catholic. I've never seen Billy Hicks run as fast and jump as high as he did after Jones hit the 3.

2. 2013: Madison Central's Ken-Jah Bosley hitting the game winning 3 pointer to beat heavily favored Ballard.

3. 2009 State Championship Game: Lou. Central's Ridge Wilson hitting a long range, buzzer beating 2 pointer to send the game into double OT. Holmes gutsy 9-0 run to take 2 point lead at the end of the 3rd quarter.

4. West Jessamine's Jarrod Polson in 2009

5. 2011 Semifinal and Finals: Christian County upsets Lou. Eastern, then beats Rowan County in double OT to win state.

6. Mason County's Chris Lofton in 2003

7. 1999 Semifinals: Scott County beat Tilghman in OT, then Ballard makes a huge comeback to beat Henderson County.

8. Mason County's Darius Miller dominating Holmes in 2008 state finals.

9. Scott County's Bud Mackey in 2007, what could've been.

10. 1999 Quarterfinal: Paducah Tilghman's defensive stand against Pleasure Ridge Park with 5 seconds left to win by 3.
That Scott Co game was the biggest crook job I've ever witnessed in high school sports.
More Cowbell Wrote:Selfishly, I have to say Shelby Valley's run to the state title in 2010.

It started with an impressive demolition of Paducah Tilghman in the opener, a game that was over after the first quarter. Then came a great individual matchup between SV's Elisha Justice and WestJess's Jarrod Polson in the next round. Next was a blowout win over Mason County in the semi's, while the Ballard fans, who were sitting just across the aisle from my group, watched with a mix of wonderment and curiousity at the team they would play that night.

Finally, the championship game was something I will always remember. From the pregame pageantry, to hearing most of the unaligned folks in the crowd get behind and cheer the underdog, to the noise level in Rupp when the Valley fans realized their school was about to knock off a school over 3 times their size. As others mentioned on here, the game truly had a David-and-Goliath feel to it, although once the game started you would have never known by the play on the floor.

For a school the size of Shelby Valley, teams like the one in 2010 don't come around often. Honestly, my alma mater may never play for a state title ever again, so for me this is my favorite Sweet 16 moment.

100% for me as well. I am proud I got to witness all four games of Valley's historic run. This team's dominance is not talked about enough expect in the mountains. They did not have a game within single digits throughout all of the postseason expect for the 15th region championship game, which they won by 8. Such a fun and impressive run and it just so happened to be my alma mater!
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]