Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville Uniform Combination Win/Loss Information
This may go down as the most useless thread in all of BGR History, but I made the data so I am going to share it.

I will expand this as I be more certain going back (because it is kind of cool to look at), but I will do it now for the 2nd McNamee era, 2010 and forward. I have compiled the uniform combinations of the 53 games during this era and the records each have brought.

There is a catch that I will explain, but the PHS combinations as of now can be:

Jersey: Maroon, White, Black
Pants: Maroon, White, Black, Silver

The Catch: Black Jerseys weren't available until Harlan 2010, Black Pants weren't available until Shelby Valley 2011, Silver Pants weren't available until Middlesboro 2013.

Here is what the Panthers have worn in every game since 2010:

([Jersey] on [Pants])

Boyd County- Maroon on White
Danville- White on Maroon
Phelps- Maroon on White
Prestonsburg- White on Maroon
Allen Central- White on White
Belfry- Maroon on White
South Floyd- Maroon on White
Betsy Layne-Maroon on White
Paintsville- White on Maroon
Sheldon Clark- White on White
Jenkins- Maroon on White
Harlan- Black on White
Hazard- Black on White

Harlan- Maroon on White
Tellico Plains- White on White
Raceland- Maroon on White
Sheldon Clark- Maroon on White
Belfry- White on White
Swain County- White on White
South Floyd- Maroon on White
Phelps- White on Maroon
Allen Central- Maroon on Maroon
Shelby Valley- Black on Black
Paintsville- Maroon on Maroon
Raceland- Black on Black
Fairview- White on Black
Hazard- White on Black

Harlan- White on Maroon
Powell County- White on White
Raceland- White on Maroon
Sheldon Clark- White on White
Belfry- Maroon on Maroon
Swain County- Maroon on White
South Floyd- White on Maroon
Phelps- Maroon on White
Allen Central- White on Maroon
Shelby Valley- White on Maroon
Paintsville- Black on Black
Raceland- Maroon on Maroon
Fairview- Black on Black

Prestonsburg- White on White
Hazard- Maroon on Maroon
Paintsville- Maroon on White
Sheldon Clark- Maroon on White
Belfry- White on White
Middlesboro- Maroon on Silver
South Floyd- Maroon on Silver
Phelps- White on Maroon
Allen Central- Maroon on Silver
Russell- White on Maroon
Nicholas County- Black on Black
Allen Central- Maroon on White
Raceland- White on White

Totals since 2010

Maroon on White- 15 (13-2)
Maroon on Maroon- 5 (4-1)
Maroon on Silver- 3 (3-0)
Maroon on Black- 0 (0-0)
White on Maroon- 10 (6-4)
White on White- 11 (5-6)
White on Black- 2 (1-1)
White on Silver- 0 (0-0)
Black on Black- 5 (5-0)*
Black on White- 2 (1-1)
Black on Silver- 0 (0-0)
Black on Maroon- 0 (0-0)

Maroon Tops- 23 (20-3)
Maroon Pants- 15 (10-5)
White Tops- 23 (12-11)
White Pants- 28 (19-9)
Black Tops- 7 (6-1)*
Black Pants- 7 (6-1)*
Silver Pants- 3 (3-0)

Most Popular Combo Rank:

1. Maroon on White (15)
2. White on White (11)
3. White on Maroon (10)
4. Maroon on Maroon (5)
4. Black on Black (5)
6. Maroon on Silver (3)
7. White on Black (2)
7. Black on White (2)

Four possible combos have no been worn: Maroon on Black, Black on Maroon, White on Silver, Black on Silver (I doubt we ever see that one)

Winning Percentage Ranks for Combos:

1. Black on Black (5-0)* 1.000*
2. Maroon on Silver (3-0) 1.000
3. Maroon on White (13-2) 0.867
4. Maroon on Maroon (4-1) 0.800
5. White on Maroon (6-4) 0.600
6. White on Black (1-1) 0.500
6. Black on White (1-1) 0.500
8. White on White (5-6) 0.455

Interesting that the only combination with a losing record, White on White, is the 2nd most popular.

Individual Items Times Worn since 2010:

Maroon Tops- 23 (20-3)
Maroon Pants- 15 (10-5)
White Tops- 23 (12-11)
White Pants- 28 (19-9)
Black Tops- 7 (6-1)*
Black Pants- 7 (6-1)*
Silver Pants- 3 (3-0)

Monochromatic Games:

Maroon on Maroon- 5 (4-1)
White on White- 11 (5-6)
Black on Black- 5 (5-0)*

Total- 21 (14-7) 0.667*

Different Colors Games:

Maroon on White- 15 (13-2)
Maroon on Silver- 3 (3-0)
White on Maroon- 10 (6-4)
White on Black- 2 (1-1)
Black on White- 2 (1-1)

Total- 32 (24-8) 0.750

So, The Panthers have a better winning percentage when wearing more than one color.

If anything has an asterisk, it means it was worn during a game in which Fairview was forced to forfeit, thus counting as a win.

Total record over the period is 38-15.

Just some random information. PHS doesn't really have a "go-to" uniform for big games so it doesn't mean a whole lot.

The reason I brought this up was to see what other schools records in different uniforms was. I know Belfry would be easy to calculate and they do have the big game Red Pants, it would be interesting to see the numbers associate with those.

So feel free to add your schools numbers over any period or any cool correlations you can find. It's the offseason. Ya gotta do something.
PT, do you like using black with your guys unis?
Belfry0304 Wrote:PT, do you like using black with your guys unis?
The traditionalist in me cringes a little bit, but the players like them and there are limits on how often they can be worn. PHS has experimented with a few different colors over the years, so it isn't a huge culture shock like it would be at Belfry.

Pikeville has incorporated baby blue, gold, silver, and now black at points. I was a huge proponent of returning the silver pants to honor the 1988 Panthers and their 25th Anniversary. They could continue to be used to honor 1989 and 1991. And I wouldn't be opposed to seeing them stick as an alternate pant. The White basketball this uniforms actually have maroon numbers outlined in silver. I actually like most of the stuff I have seen with baby blue in it, but I don't think it meshed well with the old school influential members back in the day or else it would have stuck around. And I get that, the school colors are Maroon and White. Black and silver may suffer the same fate when someone says "enough is enough".

We have gone back to the white helmet and managed to hold off the charge brought forth for a matte helmet to this point. Some would like to remove the "P" and stripes from the helmet though and go back to plain white. I like the current design that we have used since 2011. It is the same as from 02-04 the last time Mac was at PHS, only the colors were inverted, the helmet being maroon and the stripes and "P" were white. With Jackson, Copley, and Howard we saw many different styles for a maroon helmet. The white reappeared in 2010 after going into retirement after the 2001 season.

I LOVE Highlands uniform and the helmet. I think that our recent primary uniforms have become similar to the Highland mold and I am not complaining with that. I think they look sweet now. I can live with the black for a game or two a season as long as the main set is left pretty much as is. The Maroon uniforms we had with Jackson really broke the traditional style and I am glad they are gone, they wore out their welcome after a few weeks with me haha.

My favorites in order would be:

1. Maroon on Maroon
2. White on Silver (Haven't seen this one often, 1989 at Paintsville WYMT Clips had them and they looked unreal)
3. Maroon on Silver
4. White on White
5. Maroon on White
6. White on Maroon
7. White on Black
8. Black on Black
9. Black on White (Not a fan at all)

If we are going to use black, I would like to see a Maroon on Black or Black on Maroon combo.

I bet Live Maroon will have some strong opinions on this one! Haha
You're a history book, I've got to see some of the baby blue. Sounds insane, but I don't rule out anything until I see it. Black is really not allowed over here. We make some exceptions for grey, our basketball uniforms feature it. Our middle school rocks black basketball unis and I think they are hideous. I kind of like sticking to solid red and white, it almost feels unique because everyone adds black. When I worked down at Belfry Sport Shop, we did some really good looking Pikeville stuff and as bad as it pains me to admit, you can make maroon and white look absolutely fantastic. My favorite on you guys would probably be all maroon.

My Mingo Central pal on here would love this thread. They went with a matte black helmet this year that looked absolutely fantastic, but once they got scuffed I didn't care for them at all. I'm a white helmet guy, through and through. I'm gonna have to see your silver stuff though, that sounds like it could look really nice. My personal favorite for Belfry is white on white with the newer Russell jerseys.

[Image: http://media.knoxnews.com/media/img/phot...5_t607.JPG]

Anyways, I don't think I will take the time to prepare this sort of data for us because if one particular combo is really good Coach may refuse to ever take it off. He may be the most superstitious man on the planet.
That new all white does look nice. Doesn't hurt to have that helmet with it.

I'll find some pictures tonight of some of the silvers. Baby Blue stuff may take a while. Not sure if football really did much with it. I know basketball used it to outline a lot of stuff.

And believe me. Superstition is half of why I started to look into it. I can't think of many occasions where we have gone into big games in all white and done well. 2003 Somerset is one that comes to mind. Unfortunately so do '05 Belfry and '13 Raceland. But I'll get into as I look further back.

Clearly, who you play has more to do with it than what you are wearing but looking into trends is fun.
Panther Thunder Wrote:That new all white does look nice. Doesn't hurt to have that helmet with it.

I'll find some pictures tonight of some of the silvers. Baby Blue stuff may take a while. Not sure if football really did much with it. I know basketball used it to outline a lot of stuff.

And believe me. Superstition is half of why I started to look into it. I can't think of many occasions where we have gone into big games in all white and done well. 2003 Somerset is one that comes to mind. Unfortunately so do '05 Belfry and '13 Raceland. But I'll get into as I look further back.

Clearly, who you play has more to do with it than what you are wearing but looking into trends is fun.

Of course, I find it especially cool in today's uniform crazy society. Just wish more kids realized how sweet uniforms like Belfry, Pikeville, Highlands, Notre Dame, Penn State, Texas, and Alabama look and how gimmicky and cheesy the crap that Oregon wears is.

Hope you're able to find those pictures!
P.T., you know I'm a numbers guy, but this is truly amazing!! The time and effort it took to compile this is impressive. I agree with Belfry0304, give me the traditionals over the Power Ranger look of Oregon any day! Nice thread, PT! Thanks.
PT, you have way to much time on your hands. Confusednicker:
Belfry0304 Wrote:.

I am definitely an uniform traditionalist. I am very biased when I say this, but I think Belfry has one of the best HS Jersey's I have found in the entire country.

Unique Logo: CHECK
Classically Understated: CHECK
Consistent Through the Decades: CHECK
Bold Colors That Capture Attention: CHECK
Easily Identifiable and Unique Helmet: CHECK

There are only a handful of teams that if someone described their uniform with descriptive terms from any time over the past 30 years that you could pinpoint and say exactly... "That's __________" and Belfry is one of those. Highlands and maybe Danville are the only other two I would give that distinction to. Danville loses points for tinkering with the jersey over the past decade... the silver helmet with the state of Kentucky and the Anchor is my GOAT helmet.

The only place where I vary my opinion from yours is I prefer contrasting the pants to the jersey. I love the red jersey white pant (with red stripe) look the most because to me that is the jersey combo I think is synonomous with Belfry (along with a scuffed up helmet full of skull and crossbone stickers).

We had a similar thread last year discussing jerseys and I said that I was a huge fan of the Pikeville vintage look with the white helmets. Loved that Penn State feel and the understated confidence it ensued. When I think of Pikeville football and the height of the program that is what I see. A plain maroon jersey with big block white numbers, a muddy pair of white pants with maroon accent stripes.

I respect the alternate uniform trend and am actually a big fan of the matte black helmets. I like seeing the cool implementations being used, but changing uniforms every year and the crazy helmets and colors that woldn't even be considered secondary are not my cup of tea. Throwing out a digital camo jersey, using chromatic colors...I can dig that as a cool way to mix it up and make it fun for a kids... but some people have to learn that they don't have to try and be the Oregon of HS Football.

FWIW, my short list of my favorite unifrms:

1. Belfry
2. Highlands
3. Danville
4. Corbin
5. Ashland
6. Harlan County
7. Tates Creek
8. St. Xavier
9. CovCath
10. Trinity
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I am definitely an uniform traditionalist. I am very biased when I say this, but I think Belfry has one of the best HS Jersey's I have found in the entire country.

Unique Logo: CHECK
Classically Understated: CHECK
Consistent Through the Decades: CHECK
Bold Colors That Capture Attention: CHECK
Easily Identifiable and Unique Helmet: CHECK

There are only a handful of teams that if someone described their uniform with descriptive terms from any time over the past 30 years that you could pinpoint and say exactly... "That's __________" and Belfry is one of those. Highlands and maybe Danville are the only other two I would give that distinction to. Danville loses points for tinkering with the jersey over the past decade... the silver helmet with the state of Kentucky and the Anchor is my GOAT helmet.

The only place where I vary my opinion from yours is I prefer contrasting the pants to the jersey. I love the red jersey white pant (with red stripe) look the most because to me that is the jersey combo I think is synonomous with Belfry (along with a scuffed up helmet full of skull and crossbone stickers).

We had a similar thread last year discussing jerseys and I said that I was a huge fan of the Pikeville vintage look with the white helmets. Loved that Penn State feel and the understated confidence it ensued. When I think of Pikeville football and the height of the program that is what I see. A plain maroon jersey with big block white numbers, a muddy pair of white pants with maroon accent stripes.

I respect the alternate uniform trend and am actually a big fan of the matte black helmets. I like seeing the cool implementations being used, but changing uniforms every year and the crazy helmets and colors that woldn't even be considered secondary are not my cup of tea. Throwing out a digital camo jersey, using chromatic colors...I can dig that as a cool way to mix it up and make it fun for a kids... but some people have to learn that they don't have to try and be the Oregon of HS Football.

FWIW, my short list of my favorite unifrms:

1. Belfry
2. Highlands
3. Danville
4. Corbin
5. Ashland
6. Harlan County
7. Tates Creek
8. St. Xavier
9. CovCath
10. Trinity

I guess I'm just old school. Got to agree with ya EKUAlum05. That's what we saw in Pikeville's "glory days". The plain white helmet was certainly identifiable in that day--my favorite. The only exception I would have would be adding the silver pant with maroon, or white top to honor the 88'-89' team. Imo, this was Hillard Howard's trademark.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:PT, you have way to much time on your hands. Confusednicker:
I could not agree more.
Live Maroon - Power ranger look may be my new go to term.

EKUAlum05 - I like some looks of contrasting pants of jersey, preferably Belfry white jerseys/red pants. I absolutely love our helmet, I've seen some guys do some cool things with the helmet stickers to really compliment it too. I love the pride stickers only being on one side, or not at all. Regardless, it definitely makes the look. I kinda wonder where the helmet logo came from.

The only trendy style thing I saw that I enjoyed was 1) I LOVED the American Flag W on Wayne County's helmets, and some of their lineman had a little real camo wrap on their ankles and I swear I like that.
Silvers in 2013:

[Image: http://i61.tinypic.com/67s4zr.jpg]

Wow! What a thread! I was about to go to sleep and ya'll got me pulling out my laptop to grab photos. First off, Panther_Thunder...being a former Williamson (WV) student, I love your all's colors as much as anyone and the black on black uniform you guys have is one of my all time favorites. That's one thing I wish we could've had our final year (my junior year) at WHS. Every other school in our county did black and man, was it sharp.

Also, really like the silver pants/maroon jersey combo you have at Pikeville. Just dreamin' here,
but imagine if you guys had a chrome helmet with your maroon "P", outlined in white:Thumbs:

As my buddy, Belfry0304 said, I actually designed this past year's helmets for MC and have worked alongside the team as a graphic designer/official nerd since our inaugural year in 2011 for helmet designs, uniforms, equipment, etc.
So far, we've had 3 seasons, and 3 different helmets (in terms of paint)
2011-Carolina Blue (Miner "M" Logo)
2012-Silver (Pick-Axe Logo)
2013-Matte Black (New Pick Axe Logo)
AND for apparel:
2011-Home (Black Jerseys/Black Pants)-Away (White Jerseys/Carolina Blue Pants)
2012-Home (Carolina Blue Jerseys/Silver Pants)-Away(White Russell Jerseys/White Pants)
2013-Home (Digital Blue Camo Jerseys)
2014-Home ("New Uniform")-Away ("New Uniform")

So, total for this upcoming season, we'll have 4 Home Jerseys and 3 Away Jerseys.....and this is only our fourth year in existence as a high school.

I'm not saying that in a sense of "Look at us", but rather, that is how we're making our tradition, is being "the different group" and changing it up. Personally, I look at it as a "recruiting" tool, and we need that edge of gaining potential players attention.

I do see us sticking with our current logo for a long time to come, as its grabbed a lot of attention in our state and is unique in several ways, as it includes one letter from the school name, "M", and shows off the mascot, "Miners" with the pick axe.

Outside of MC stuff, I love sitting down and designing new stuff for teams. Currently, working on a new logo and helmet for River View (Bradshaw,WV)
for the 2015 season.

But, now because of this thread, ill be compiling what we've worn since game 1 in August of 2011, haha.

BTW, just for the heck of it....at the bottom is a custom belfry helmet I did,
nicknamed "Titanium Treasure".TongueirateSho

[Image: http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333...142bd6.jpg]
[Image: http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333...e58a97.jpg]
[Image: http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333...d7dbef.jpg]
[Image: http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333...6ec621.jpg]
PT, let me recommend dome dating sites for you Confusednicker:
Great stats! Very interesting thread.
I like some of the really old school Belfry stuff.

Belfry's original colors are a little different.

A darker red, almost maroon but not quite, has been used, as well as silver over the years.

As so right now though I am partial to blue/white/silver/black.
maybe im just old school but dont know why yall consider belfry traditionalist to me any team wearing look at me kiddy stickers all over there helmets like ohio state is disqualified from being traditionalist reminds me of the army giving out medals and ribbons to recruits in boot camp when they havnt been earned yet you dont see the marines giving out a ribbon for throwing a grenade in boot camp
Great thread. Uniforms are very important to the kids. Great win/loss data.
Just don't wear orange. Apparently that doesn't work so well for Williamsburg.
Like the black/black and white/black uni's, but especially like the distinctive helmets Prestonsburg is using now (see my avatar in the left column).

The old style white block P on red with black central striped helmets and red/red and white/red uni's Prestonsburg had back in my high school days was purely old school (it had been used unchanged for 30+ yrs...lol). It was OK, but it didn't have the character today's uni has.

Always thought a school with a "Blackcat" mascot should emphasize the black in any case. But that's really only happened over the past 12 yrs or so...

:popcorn:
I am biased but I also think Belfry's uniforms are top notch. I think the pride stickers are a perfect accent to the helmets. Not all teams should use pride stickers but the Pirates should continue it forever. Their rank for me in order is:
Red on White
All white
White on Red
All Red

I love the double stripe on the white pants. No fancy curves or points just two traditional double red stripes.

I spent some time in 2011 making a ton of KY HS football teams to accuracy on NCAA football and spotted a ton of really nice HS unis.

With the bias pick out of the way I would say that in the state my favorite unis would be, in no particular order. Not all are current.

Pikeville - Maroon on White with with white P logo helmet.
Highlands - [URL="http://images.maxpreps.com/site_images/editorial/article/7/5/6/756a8319-c92c-429e-b14a-f7366eab0cbd/82fffda4-1a43-e311-995d-
002655e6c126_original.jpg"]Blue on White. Very basic classic clean look[/URL]
Danville - The Dallas Cowboy-esc color scheme
Tates Creek - Maroon on White
Ashland - All maroon look. Even if they do use the Arizona "A"
Trinity - Green on white
Somerset - Purple on purple or White on gold
Allen Central - Closest color scheme to the old Houston Oilers look. Just love the color combo.

too many teams these days are going for the fancy striping on the legs and helmets. Or recreating the look or a college or NFL team with a different color scheme. Give me traditional looks with unique logos and I am sold. I have also never been a fan of the helmet stripe that starts small in the front and goes wide in the back or the single solid wide helmet stripe.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:I am biased but I also think Belfry's uniforms are top notch. I think the pride stickers are a perfect accent to the helmets. Not all teams should use pride stickers but the Pirates should continue it forever. Their rank for me in order is:
Red on White
All white
White on Red
All Red

I love the double stripe on the white pants. No fancy curves or points just two traditional double red stripes.

I spent some time in 2011 making a ton of KY HS football teams to accuracy on NCAA football and spotted a ton of really nice HS unis.

With the bias pick out of the way I would say that in the state my favorite unis would be, in no particular order. Not all are current.

Pikeville - Maroon on White with with white P logo helmet.
Highlands - [URL="http://images.maxpreps.com/site_images/editorial/article/7/5/6/756a8319-c92c-429e-b14a-f7366eab0cbd/82fffda4-1a43-e311-995d-
002655e6c126_original.jpg"]Blue on White. Very basic classic clean look[/URL]
Danville - The Dallas Cowboy-esc color scheme
Tates Creek - Maroon on White
Ashland - All maroon look. Even if they do use the Arizona "A"
Trinity - Green on white
Somerset - Purple on purple or White on gold
Allen Central - Closest color scheme to the old Houston Oilers look. Just love the color combo.

too many teams these days are going for the fancy striping on the legs and helmets. Or recreating the look or a college or NFL team with a different color scheme. Give me traditional looks with unique logos and I am sold. I have also never been a fan of the helmet stripe that starts small in the front and goes wide in the back or the single solid wide helmet stripe.

Agree with this. I have never been a fan of the "space cadet" look. Love the old school look.