Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best players in the last 30 years
Huggy_Bear Wrote:I read where he averaged 36 ppg when he was a Junior. Wow.

Also, Ben Bowling of Perry Central hasn't been mentioned except in the original post but he is right up there with the best to come out of the mountains.

He averaged 34 or something his Sr year also I am thinking? He never was serious about basketball,, only played it to stay in shape. Hung out with him his Sr year and he would laugh about it. Scored over 3,000 for his career.

Mix1...
Here are all of the players from Eastern Kentucky that are in the 3000 point club...
and of course King Kelly who is in the 4000 point club.
Not all of these guys are from the modern era.

Kelly Coleman - Wayland
Charles Thomas - Harlan
Ervin Stepp - Phelps
Todd Conley - Elkhorn City
Nelson White - Powell County
Shannon Hoskins - MC Napier/Clay
JJ Hylton - Belfry
JR VanHoose - Paintsville
Larry Gritton - Oneida Baptist
Leonard Carpenter - Salyersville
Tim Couch - Leslie County
Clark Stepp - June Buchanan
1. Kelly Coleman (Wayland) 1953-1956: 4,337

2. Charlie Osborne (Flat Gap) 1953-1956: 3,647

3. Harry Todd (Earlington) 1955-1958: 3,567

4. Chris Harrison (Tollesboro) 1987-1991: 3,542

5. Ronnie Lyons (Mason County) 1967-1970: 3,394

6. Charles Thomas (Harlan) 1990-1995: 3,365

7. Clem Haskins (Taylor County) 1959-1962: 3,325

8. Fred Hale (Williamstown) 1969 - 1973: 3,233

9. Ervin Stepp (Phelps) 1977-1980: 3,228

10. Manual Forrest (Moore) 1977-1981: 3,226

11. Tim Stephens (McCreary County) 1973-1976: 3,211

12. Todd Conley (Elkhorn City) 1991-1994: 3,202

13. Talbert Turner (Pendleton County) 1980-1984: 3,183

14. Bert Green (Olive Hill) 1956-1959: 3,172

15. Darel Carrier (Bristow) 1957-1960: 3,148

16. J.J. Hylton (Belfry) 1990-1993: 3,140

17. Corky Withrow (Central City) 1953-1956: 3,136

18. J.R. VanHoose (Paintsville) 1994-1998: 3,097

19. Rich Hendrick (Bristow) 1957-1960: 3,077

20. Larry A. Gritton (Oneida Baptist) 1989-1993: 3,058

21. Ty Rogers (Lyon County) 1998-2004: 3,045

22. Ray Harper (Bremen) 1977-1980: 3,033

23. Tim Couch (Leslie County) 1991-1996: 3,023

24. Keith Blackburn (Eminence) 1989-1993: 3,016

25. Julius Berry (Lexington Dunbar) 1954-1957: 3,000

Add Clark in at 25th with 3,013.
Huggy_Bear Wrote:You mentioned Blake Hubbs from I think it was Cawood. Rockcastle County had a player right around that time that was a scoring machine too, Aaron Cash. Seems like he played for Transy after graduating.

Also, David Vance of Barbourville was a pretty good player around 2004. I believe he went on to play for Union College.

Maybe not 3 of the best ever to come out of the hills, but 3 pretty dang good players.

Vance was one of the better players ive seen from this area. He actually went to Cumberland. He had tremendous size and was built to go D1. Could dunk it from anywhere in the gym. He just caught a bad time as Knox Central had the Mills, Bargo, and other kids who would beat them most of the time. Not to mention that's when Corbin was loaded with the big seven footer among many others.
Its hard to believe an OBI player is in the 3000 point club. Never heard of that before.
zaga_fan Wrote:Here are all of the players from Eastern Kentucky that are in the 3000 point club...
and of course King Kelly who is in the 4000 point club.
Not all of these guys are from the modern era.

Kelly Coleman - Wayland
Charles Thomas - Harlan
Ervin Stepp - Phelps
Todd Conley - Elkhorn City
Nelson White - Powell County
Shannon Hoskins - MC Napier/Clay
JJ Hylton - Belfry
JR VanHoose - Paintsville
Larry Gritton - Oneida Baptist
Leonard Carpenter - Salyersville
Tim Couch - Leslie County
Clark Stepp - June Buchanan

Ervin Stepp played in the late 70's, more than 30 years ago.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Its hard to believe an OBI player is in the 3000 point club. Never heard of that before.

OBI used to be a high scoring team. I remember in 1983 they beat Cawood by a score of something like 120-105. During the same season Evarts beat OBI in the first round of the 13th region tournament by a score of 91-86. They had two guys named Barns and Brown that could fill it up. They also had a 6'8" center named Samuals.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Its hard to believe an OBI player is in the 3000 point club. Never heard of that before.

The best player I can remember at OBI was Ben Franklin in the late 70s. Lots of D1 schools were begging for Franklin but he decided to go to Cumberland College.
HUB Wrote:Matt Day - Buckhorn
Mr. Basketball Finalist
1st team All State
Ky./Indiana All Star
Multiple Regional Player of the Year Awards

This is the worst post ever. He was the most overrated player I have ever seen play in the 14th region. He's not even in the top 100 players in the last 30 years
^averaged over 20 points and double figure rebounds over 4 years despite constant double teams and gimmicks designed to stop him. Not saying he is the best but is certainly as good as several of the people named in this thread
With all due respect the to most dominate players in ky high school history is Wes Unseld and Richie Farmer. Anyone who thinks Farmer was not the greatest player in the mts is just not being honest
Just from Jackson County that I can remember in no paticular order:
Mitchell Madden : led JC to regional championship as a sophomore they beat two #1 ranked teams in the state that year Bryan Station and beat Corbin who was lead by Pietrowski and McDaniel... Madden is all time scoring leader at JC

Stephen Gabbard: 6"6 Point Guard could jump out of gym and had a lethal jumper. Roomed with Rajon Rondo on Eddie Fords all star team. Tore his ACL junior year never was the same. Went on to get a scholarship to EKU under Travis Ford then transferred to Transylvania and played while getting his doctorate I believe.

Nick Brumback: 13th region player of the year 2008, In/Ky Allstar game, averaged 25 points and 12 boards a game. Played a couple years at Alice Loyd

Jordan Fox: I know he is still playing but he could be the best to put a jersey on in JC ever. Committed to play at West Point for Army had many d1 offers. People in JC knew he was gonna be special at a young age

That's just JC not saying they are best in Mountais in 30 years just the best at JC
Didn't see it on here, but I want to mention Jody Thompson. A guard on the 1989-90 Feds Creek team. Amazing to know that king of the bluegrass Rick Pitino sat in probably the smallest gym in a school nobody has ever heard of before building UK back to national glory. Thompson was one of Pitino's first recruits at Kentucky.
fan first Wrote:With all due respect the to most dominate players in ky high school history is Wes Unseld and Richie Farmer. Anyone who thinks Farmer was not the greatest player in the mts is just not being honest

Farmer was a very good player and he gets a lot of respect as a high school player. I saw both of these players and just think VanHoose dominated every phase of the game. No disrespect to Farmer at all and just my opinion. That's about as honest as I can be.
U cant compare a center to a guard. Come on man.
Guys, thanks for the very kind words. To even be mentioned by some of you is a great honor. I'm just thankful that my teams were able to accomplish special things, some that have rarely been done in the history of the state. Individual awards were always on the back burner for me. I wanted to make Paintsville relevant across the state when I played. I think the teams I played on did that!
rojas Wrote:Ervin Stepp played in the late 70's, more than 30 years ago.

I put a disclaimer on my post saying not all of those guys were from the last 30 years.
JJ Hylton, Todd Conley, Jody Thompson, Jeremy Hall, Thomas Jenkins, JR Vanhoose, Todd Tackett, Elisha Justice were some of the best in the last 30 years in the 15th region. Prior to that you gotta add Todd May, 'Ervin Stepp and Rodney Rowe. Either terrific indivduals, or great players that had multiple years of success. Fun stuff.
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:Guys, thanks for the very kind words. To even be mentioned by some of you is a great honor. I'm just thankful that my teams were able to accomplish special things, some that have rarely been done in the history of the state. Individual awards were always on the back burner for me. I wanted to make Paintsville relevant across the state when I played. I think the teams I played on did that!

Ive heard several older Whitley players that played under Kyle Adams that had nothing but praise for you. If I recall, I only remember seeing one game that you were apart of. To be honest, I cant even remember who it was against, but it was in the sweet 16 I believe and I haven't seen anyone dominate the boards like that.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ive heard several older Whitley players that played under Kyle Adams that had nothing but praise for you. If I recall, I only remember seeing one game that you were apart of. To be honest, I cant even remember who it was against, but it was in the sweet 16 I believe and I haven't seen anyone dominate the boards like that.

I really appreciate that. Kyle was a great teammate. Funny thing, he was a starter, but got so nervous before games he would throw up. Coach found out and then had him come off the bench. He was a great asset to us in 96-97. He really was the energy for us!

When I look back now, some of the things we did as a team were unbelievable. Compiling a history of the Paintsville basketball program has really opened my eyes to the history of basketball in all of Eastern Kentucky. I really can't wait for people to understand this history and Paintsville's part in it!
John Pelfrey, Keith Adkins
HDE Wrote:Ervin Stepp graduated in 1980, so he wouldn't be in the 30-year time period. Phil Cox doesn't either or he would be in the top five as the 1981 Mr. Basketball.

The best I've seen in the 13th Region since the 1984-85 season:
Nick Sanford
Richie Farmer
Charles Thomas
Tony Pietrowski
Walt Allen
Russ Chadwell
Lawrence Buell
Aaron Cash
Michael Jones
Todd Cox
Blake Hubbs
Stewart Miller
Chris Shackleford
Lewis Morris
Woody Asher

I forgot about Nick Samford!! How did I forget him! This guy was a SERIOUS BALLER! I played alot against him in some men leagues and he was super special. If my memory is correct he tried out for the Bulls and was the last one cut! Nobody & I mean NOBODY could score it like him and was also a great defender. He was 6'5/6'6 w/ serious hops! I think he is like 2nd all time scorer in NCAA or NAIA basketball history.
Carl Wallace--hazard
Notsofastmyfriend Wrote:John Pelfrey, Keith Adkins

John Pelphrey and Keith Adkins are two good ones. Don't forget Joey Couch from that team as well.
Richie Farmer
Nick Sanford
J. R. VanHoose
Shannon Hoskins
Charles Thomas
ballstar Wrote:I forgot about Nick Samford!! How did I forget him! This guy was a SERIOUS BALLER! I played alot against him in some men leagues and he was super special. If my memory is correct he tried out for the Bulls and was the last one cut! Nobody & I mean NOBODY could score it like him and was also a great defender. He was 6'5/6'6 w/ serious hops! I think he is like 2nd all time scorer in NCAA or NAIA basketball history.

3,629 points at LMU. He ranks #1-4 on LMU's single season most ppg / season. http://lmurailsplitters.com/stats/mbcare...#S0scoring

3x NAIA All-American 1988-1990. http://www.naia.org/fls/27900/1NAIA/Spor...M_ID=27900

May have another in Ben Franklin don't know how many he ended with but was a very good player.
rawlingsfan Wrote:3,629 points at LMU. He ranks #1-4 on LMU's single season most ppg / season. http://lmurailsplitters.com/stats/mbcare...#S0scoring

3x NAIA All-American 1988-1990. http://www.naia.org/fls/27900/1NAIA/Spor...M_ID=27900

Without a doubt this guy was a Pro!!! I seem a lot of great players in this area but this guy was on a level by himself. He had all the tools to be a good NBA player.
I may be wrong...
but wasn't Clark Stepp high on the assist list as well?
He's not from this part of the state but the best player I've watched in a 1 game set was Rajon Rondo atat North or South Laurel. Put on a clinic with assists. 27 or 29 assists. Set the high school record I think it was. He had 23 or so in his prior game.