Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Coach at Garrard?
Have seen a lot of discussion on the Smith/Scenters situation at Boyle/Madison Central, but haven't seen a thread about who Garrard's new coach will be?

Did I miss it? What do you guys think?
I don't know who will be the next head coach, but, I wish Garrard County and the kids there the best of luck finding a good one. The county needs to invest some resources in getting new sports facilities built close to the new high school and that might help attract some good personell. They still play football and basketball at the old high school from what I understand.
Here is a thought, Bring Hester back as semi-retired. He had some pretty sucessful years at Garrad in the past???
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Here is a thought, Bring Hester back as semi-retired. He had some pretty sucessful years at Garrad in the past???

Which Hester ? Jeff was 14 and 28 in 4 years with 1 playoff berth at Garrard. what about Bill Letton?
What about Johnny Poynter?
Zach Hester's dad is a heck of an assistant coach at Boyle now and from what I understand about him, he wants his time freed up to see his son play for Navy. You can't blame the man for that. I'd love to see Bill Letton go to Garrard County. I'd say Bill would have a tough time at Garrard's dinner table of soup beans and corn bread after having eaten the filet mignon of Lexington Catholic with the huge stadium, turf field and deep pockets though. Like I said, they really need to put some money behind their sports programs and facililties at Garrard to attract top drawer coaches such as Coach Letton. Garrard has some good athletes and substantial community spirit and backing from what I saw when I attended a couple of early games there the last couple of seasons, but, the facilities are a bit tired and not near the high school. They have to bus the kids to the games like they do at Rockcastle County, which is the pits.
New stadium was put in before the season by the new super. Garrard has a very nice stadium, field and atmosphere. Great field. No track around the stadium. Right in the heart of town.

Danville is another that had to bus a mile or two to the stadium. Elizabethtown HS did until this year and I think Mayfield does the same.

They don't need to move the stadium at Garrard one bit.
papagrit Wrote:Zach Hester's dad is a heck of an assistant coach at Boyle now and from what I understand about him, he wants his time freed up to see his son play for Navy. You can't blame the man for that. I'd love to see Bill Letton go to Garrard County. I'd say Bill would have a tough time at Garrard's dinner table of soup beans and corn bread after having eaten the filet mignon of Lexington Catholic with the huge stadium, turf field and deep pockets though. Like I said, they really need to put some money behind their sports programs and facililties at Garrard to attract top drawer coaches such as Coach Letton. Garrard has some good athletes and substantial community spirit and backing from what I saw when I attended a couple of early games there the last couple of seasons, but, the facilities are a bit tired and not near the high school. They have to bus the kids to the games like they do at Rockcastle County, which is the pits.

The reason I pointed out Jeff Hester's record at Garrard is that I don't want him to leave Boyle Jeff has come along way since he coached at Garrard and I'm sure he would make a fine head coach now, and I agree with the rest of your post Garrard does need to spend some money on the football program.:Thumbs:
Jack Lambert Wrote:Which Hester ? Jeff was 14 and 28 in 4 years with 1 playoff berth at Garrard. what about Bill Letton?

He also took over when Garrard went from 1A to 2A and in a district with LexCath, Boyle, Danville and a Dudleys Hilton lead Bourbon County team.

Granted, they had a history with LexCath from their 1A days, but that program was growing exponentially by the year.

Jeff and Garrard County were in a district over that 4 year span that had two Class AA Champs (Bourbon in 97, Boyle in 99) and a Danville team who was the 98 runners up (which LexCath was the best team that year and didn't win it).

They were playing 4th and 5th fiddle to four state championship caliber teams in the same district. The fact that he even earned a playoff birth vs the likes of those hardware kings is an accomplishment in itself.

It's not always about the record.

I'd be willing to bet that 2/3 of his losses came to those four teams alone.
They are building a new press box to go with the new stadium. I do know that.
I think Jerry Perry has already showed interest in this job as well. He must be glutton for punishment
Jerry Perry would be an outstanding get for Garrard. Outside of Coy Dyehouse, he is the only coach with real sustained success at Garrard (about 80% winning percentage, I think).
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:New stadium was put in before the season by the new super. Garrard has a very nice stadium, field and atmosphere. Great field. No track around the stadium. Right in the heart of town.

Danville is another that had to bus a mile or two to the stadium. Elizabethtown HS did until this year and I think Mayfield does the same.

They don't need to move the stadium at Garrard one bit.

I stand corrected. I didn't know there was a new stadium.
Time flies and I now realize that I didn't make a game this past year, it was last year(2012) and the year before that(2011). I'll have to drive by and check out the new stadium next time I'm in Lancaster. I was just there last week.
I saw the Bourbon County game year before, the Clay County 3 or 4 OT game in 2011 and went to Lincoln for the Death Valley bowl and I think they played West Jess. then.
I still believe the kids would like to play basketball and football closer to school if they had the option of not getting bussed.
Busing the kids to the football game still stinks in my opinion. Especially AFTER the game and them waiting to go back on a bus. Some kids want to hang around and hug their girlfriends..some want to go on back and when it's cold in the late season and your kid wants to get someplace warm after sweating it out during the game and just change into street clothes but can't...it stinks. I'm going on what I've seen from busing at Rockcastle to games. At least they practice outside the high school though. I don't know if Garrard does or not. I'm still of the thinking.....put the money from the new stadium into a new field and setup near the school.
Check out the link below and scroll down to see pictures of Perry Central's field in a link from last year when they were building it. Wouldn't that look nice sitting behind the Garrard High School over on KY 39? That is D LUX.
I'd love to see it sitting out next to Rockcastle's High School...that's for sure.

http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...p?t=160396
Are any of the current assistant capable of leading Garrard Co.?
FarristownFlyer Wrote:Are any of the current assistant capable of leading Garrard Co.?

No
old_school_hero Wrote:No

Wow, Old School... Tell us what you really think. Confusednicker:
old_school_hero Wrote:No

Agreed!!
IMO,,, We need someone with ties to the community,,,, Coach Scenters did a great job
of starting a program that looks beyond the regular season and into the playoffs... Now
we need someone that will take the program to the next level and build a tradition.
And by the way,,,, there is NO new stadium, just an improved old stadium.... New
bleachers, cleaned-up scoreboard and new Pressbox on the way....
^^ This. Some might put this thought into the 'good ole boy' way of doing things, but in small communities like Garrard County, people that have NO ties there or to the area aren't staying there long. I dont care what they say in their interview.
jw4914 Wrote:And by the way,,,, there is NO new stadium, just an improved old stadium.... New
bleachers, cleaned-up scoreboard and new Pressbox on the way....

Would you like me to post the picture of the old stadium torn down and all that was standing was the pressbox? From back around the end of July?

B/C I can get it. It's on my old phone at home.

But the old one was torn down and another put back up.

So were the visitor bleachers.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Would you like me to post the picture of the old stadium torn down and all that was standing was the pressbox? From back around the end of July?

Sorry,,, thought we were talking about Garrard's field....
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Would you like me to post the picture of the old stadium torn down and all that was standing was the pressbox? From back around the end of July?

Most of the people would consider that a stadium renovation or just simply a 'renovation'....and no, we don't need pictures posted from your old phone at home...we all saw the work that went on at Dyehouse. Wouldn't a new stadium include a new pressbox....which hasn't even been built yet...so maybe the new stadium is just unfinished? Just sayin'....
old_school_hero Wrote:Most of the people would consider that a stadium renovation or just simply a 'renovation'....and no, we don't need pictures posted from your old phone at home...we all saw the work that went on at Dyehouse. Wouldn't a new stadium include a new pressbox....which hasn't even been built yet...so maybe the new stadium is just unfinished? Just sayin'....

Dang, you sure? It's a really good phone. Pic quality is unbelievable. You heart my heart.

New pressbox is coming and likely before this year.
jw4914 Wrote:Sorry,,, thought we were talking about Garrard's field....

All good!
gridirondaddy Wrote:Wow, Old School... Tell us what you really think. Confusednicker:

Pretty sure the original question required just a yes or no answer.

A better question would have been "which Garrard assistants could take over the football program?"....even better would've been "are any of Scenters' assistants going with him?....if so, who do you think will go?"
old_school_hero Wrote:Pretty sure the original question required just a yes or no answer.

A better question would have been "which Garrard assistants could take over the football program?"....even better would've been "are any of Scenters' assistants going with him?....if so, who do you think will go?"

Well,,, my guess would be that Coach Jones will follow Scenters to MC.
Coach Owens likes the AD position and I don't think he would have time
to effectively handle the AD and HC position. Plus if Owens took the HC
position, Garrard would have to find an alternate Fall AD. But it's not out
of the mix. Coach Kirk, IMO, will stay and is a possibility. The rest of the
staff would have a hard time filling HC shoes.... Another possibility would be Bret Baierlein.. HC Garrard Middle School for years. Garrard High School
teacher and oversees the Student Council. A strong foundation in the area.
He is currently on Mercer County Football staff which had a very successful
season under Pardue. This would be my candidate for the job. He would
bring the character and discipline needed. My other choice would be Coach
Shearer at Jackson County. Great Character, Discipline and Work Ethic!
Don't know if the people at Bellevue would agree with you on Coach Shearer.
simpleman Wrote:Don't know if the people at Bellevue would agree with you on Coach Shearer.

Well from things I heard Bellevue was a little unrealistic. Coach Shearer would be a nice pick up.
I believe there was a incident between Shearer and the GC staff when he was at Lloyd. He was upset about GC throwing the ball late in the game and verbally confronted the coaches at mid field.